Your favorite death metal bands?

DeliverUsToEvil

Not a big fan of them Dave but nothing I can really put my finger on. Just one of those bands that doesn't click with me. There are several bands that have that effect on me. Furbowl were another. Hmm favourites well I like quite a bit of death metal. Current favourites would include: Sympathy, Kronos, Nile, Morgoth, Death and Asphyx

• 3 weeks later...
What's everyone's opinion on the English band Cancer?
They aren't terrible but did very little to float my boat back in the day - considering they drafted James Murphy in on guitar for Death Shall Rise (along with Glen Benton on backing vocals for some reason) the record did little for me. They made some decent stuff but somehow get lost in a saturated genre of the time.

• 4 weeks later...
Gotta agree on Cancer' date=' they never really interested me. Lately I've been listening to a lot of "retro" death metal, some with very modern writing under the layers of crust - mostly posted in other threads already: Dead Congregation, Grave Miasma, Abyssal, Disma. Also Anata, Ulcerate, and Gorguts.[/quote'] "Anata, Ulcerate, and Gorguts" you read my damn mind man. If anyone has not heard Ulcerate yet, go remedy this right now Ulcerate // Vermis Soooooo good. Also, I would add Decapitated, Necrophagist and Hate Eternal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be fair, Williams' bouncing around is more or less what I do when I'm listening to music on my computer. I do wish they'd hired somebody professional to do their logo, it looks like rubbish. That said, the music sounded OK to me.

Nah, crowdfunding is cool. I have to admit that I don't like when more established musicians do it, because I feel like they're taking away potential from lesser-known acts, and also because it looks like a way for labels to minimize risk. But doing a pro job on your recording, getting it pressed, shipping, advertising, legal advice, artwork, it all costs money, and there's nothing wrong with smaller bands reaching out to see if anyone can help. It's not like you give money for nothing - you generally get a copy of the CD as well as some other stuff for your donation - and nobody's forcing you to contribute. I'll probably have to help my label with a kickstarter for my own album.

With all do respect, but I'm going pay for any of those bands. I also lost all respect for a very cool band Guttural Slug because they were begging for money after their equipment burned down. The female vocalist said she would date you when you paid 500 dollars. That video was soon deleted because everybody called her a whore obviously. But for that reason, I'm probably not going to buy the next album. Those people are what's wrong with the music industry.

Re: Your favorite death metal bands?

Anyone fan of Tribulation or Svart Crown? No straightforward death metal at all, but both their albums were one of my favorites last year.
Haven't heard much of the new Tribulation yet, but the debut was straightforward and ass-kicking death metal. Haven't heard Svart Crown, but a few guys on one of my other forums dig them. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Your favorite death metal bands?

Tribulation went into another direction after their debut The Horror. Can't really compare those two albums so it's worth to check the first one or two songs. I myself liked Formulas of Death way more than their debut.
I've heard as much, I really just need to get both albums. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies