Your favorite death metal bands?

DeliverUsToEvil

Re: Your favorite death metal bands?

But deathcore is only a term to describe a genre of a modern kind of death metal with influences of core. For me is this differentiation unnecessary. The maingenre is still death.
With every deathcore band I've heard, the predominant element in the sound is metalcore. What few death metal elements are added to metalcore to make deathcore are typically so banal, stale, and poorly executed, that even if they were predominate, I still probably wouldn't qualify it as death metal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Some great stuff in here: http://metalforum.com/death-metal/1075-suggestions.html And here: http://metalforum.com/death-metal/653-technical-death-metal.html Also, check out Cephalic Carnage's "Xenosapien" and "Lucid Interval". With the exception of the new Gorguts, which might not fit your taste, I'm not personally excited by a lot of death metal from the past 15 years or so. I'm sure others can chime in with more relevant recommendations. However, if you can deal with old-school sound, Suffocation's "Pierced From Within" and "Effigy Of The Forgotten", Sinister's "Hate" and "Diabolical Summoning", Immolation's "Here In After" and "Closer To A World Below", and Cannibal Corpse's "Tomb Of The Mutilated" come to mind as a handful of classics from the earlier years.

My fave Death Metal bands are Decapitated' date=' Dying Fetus and Deicide (mainly because Benton is a fucking monster). Can anyone recommend good bands based on those I've listed? I like it heavy but groovy, with reasonably clear production and the guitar showmanship/wankery kept to a minimum.[/quote'] There are some abolutely essential albums from all over death metal I'd start with, production may be an issue with some of them if you're not into the nastier sounding stuff though I'd start with: Altars Of Madness by Morbid Angel Slowly We Rot by Obituary Unquestionable Presence by Atheist Death from Leprosy onwards (though Symbolic is something of a low point) Erosion of Sanity by Gorguts Damage Done by Dark Tranquillity (I need to invest in their earlier material or I could have thrown that in instead) Soulside Journey by Darkthrone (it's a shame they didn't do more death metal albums)

Thanks people. :) I shall check out that stuff. I have heard of Cephalic Carnage, but not really listened to them. Will give them a blast in a minute. In terms of production it depends for me. I don't need it polished to the point that it loses its atmosphere, but the kind of Death (and Black) Metal that sounds like it was recorded in a garden shed with an iphone tends to leave me pretty cold as it no longer sounds heavy to me. I prefer Death Metal to sound pretty crushing and I do like a bit of groove. Would you recommend Vader? I ask because they're often placed with Decapitated, whom I love. I'm also thinking about some early Suffocation stuff. I have the self-titled, but am particularly interested in Effigy of the Forgotten, as I hear it's a classic. I like the songs I've heard of their new one, too. I've also taken a liking to Vomitory and am thinking about looking into Hate Eternal as that seems to be along similar lines?

For Suffocation, Efiigy Of The Forgotten tends to be the "cult classic" but I prefer Pierced From Within - especially the title track, still one of the heaviest death metal songs I've heard. After that album they fell off for me a little bit. I'm not a huge Vader fan but I know plenty of people who like them. They're often lumped in with Decapitated and Behemoth because, you know, they're all Polish... ;) I've actually never listened to Hate Eternal! Which I should do, I've heard good things.

Thanks people. :) I shall check out that stuff. I have heard of Cephalic Carnage' date=' but not really listened to them. Will give them a blast in a minute. In terms of production it depends for me. I don't need it polished to the point that it loses its atmosphere, but the kind of Death (and Black) Metal that sounds like it was recorded in a garden shed with an iphone tends to leave me pretty cold as it no longer sounds heavy to me. I prefer Death Metal to sound pretty crushing and I do like a bit of groove. Would you recommend Vader? I ask because they're often placed with Decapitated, whom I love. I'm also thinking about some early Suffocation stuff. I have the self-titled, but am particularly interested in Effigy of the Forgotten, as I hear it's a classic. I like the songs I've heard of their new one, too. I've also taken a liking to Vomitory and am thinking about looking into Hate Eternal as that seems to be along similar lines?[/quote'] Vader is excellent, and is known for being very consistent. While some of their album, like The Beast, dip in quality a bit, there aren't any Vader albums that aren't good. Their debut is very Morbid Angel inspired, and is awesome, but my favorite album of theirs is De Profundis, which started them down the path of their extreme death/thrash sound that they're most well known for. Suffocation's first 3 albums are essential, but my favorite is Breeding the Spawn. Many people disagree because the production is admittedly weak, so you may not like it, but it does feature some of their best and most complex songs, in addition to being one of the most punishing death metal albums ever. Vomitory is great meat and potatoes death metal, and Hate Eternal is good, but not my favorite. Stick with their first 3 albums, their last couple have been pretty uninspired. Check out the thread in the death metal section titled "recommendations" for further info. I have a series of posts there with accompanying YouTube videos and descriptions of bands to cut out some of the leg work. Most of my favorite death metal bands aren't that frequently mentioned, like Brutality, Mortem, Pan.Thy.Monium, Cadaver, etc..., so you'll find basics, in addition to some more obscure stuff in there. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

BAN's video-list in that thread really is a great tool. I'm the one who started that thread (and several others around the place) when I was just starting to get back into more extreme metal a couple years back. I've only gotten maybe halfway through the list but then again there are many others I've been working through at the same time.

BAN's video-list in that thread really is a great tool. I'm the one who started that thread (and several others around the place) when I was just starting to get back into more extreme metal a couple years back. I've only gotten maybe halfway through the list but then again there are many others I've been working through at the same time.
I need to start adding to those again, but I've been super busy at work and it takes forever to do it on my phone. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if anyone has said it yet' date=' but Gutted - Bleed for us to Live (1994) is possibly the greatest album of all time[/quote'] Thrash-influenced death metal in the vein of contemporary groups like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, both of whom did their best work during this time period. The Gutted album is good, but a little catchy for my taste - I like my death metal a bit more chaotic. I do like it - I'm not slamming it - but I wouldn't call it the greatest album of all time. I'd still rather listen to Tomb Of The Mutilated, Legion, or Pierced From Within if I want to hear early 90s American death metal.

Unquestionable Presence and Here In After are on my list too, although I was specifically referring to bands that sounded like Gutted. I never liked Morbid Angel. I really tried. Maybe it's time to dig out "Altars" again and see what I think... Incantation is another one I just couldn't dig, I had three of their albums growing up but just kind of meh. Those others, I will have to look up! Thanks.

Mortification's album "Scrolls of the Megilloth" is one of my favorite death metal albums. It's just solid riffs and creepy atmosphere, very few guitar solos/leads which somehow really works for that album. As for favorite death metal bands overall: Morbid Angel, Autopsy, Jungle Rot, Carcass, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Origin, Immolation, "-tion" bands (Incanta-, Immola-, Suffoca-, Mortifica-), Decapitated, Cryptopsy, Yyrkoon, also Cephalic Carnage and Cattle Decapitation if we are to count them! Some recent underground death metal bands that have caught my attention: Anhedonist, Psychiatric Regurgitation, Gravehill Some bands put out pretty good death metal albums and then apparently fall off the face of the earth: Demented Ted, Lemming Project

The Gutted album is good' date=' but a little catchy for my taste - I like my death metal a bit more chaotic.[/quote'] Thrash is what got me into metal in general in the first place so I am all about the catchy riffs. But after getting into death metal, a lot of thrash bands vocals started sounding too generic to me. Bands like Gutted, Revenant, Repugnant, etc have those filthy death metal vocals with a lot of thrash and doom riffs and thats what I am all about (at least right now). Never really got into Cannibal Corpse or Deicide myself. Pierced from Within is definitely a classic, another one I'd probably put in my top 10. Early Suffocation was amazing

Thrash is what got me into metal in general in the first place so I am all about the catchy riffs. But after getting into death metal' date=' a lot of thrash bands vocals started sounding too generic to me. Bands like Gutted, Revenant, Repugnant, etc have those filthy death metal vocals with a lot of thrash and doom riffs and thats what I am all about (at least right now). Never really got into Cannibal Corpse or Deicide myself. Pierced from Within is definitely a classic, another one I'd probably put in my top 10. Early Suffocation was amazing[/quote'] How about Dreaming With the Dead? I forgot to mention that one, but it's one of my favorite USDM albums and one of the finest death/thrash albums ever IMO. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2