The Movie Thread

radio master666

Black Mass was a solid film. It did move pretty slow at some points, but not at one moment did it lose its dark and gritty atmosphere. What I appreciated most was having read the book a couple years ago I noticed the attention to detail they paid, throwing in a lot of little tidbits of information that werent exactly integral to the story but really accentuated the narrative. Aside from Depp and Joel Edgerton though, most of the other performances were a little flat. Johnny was absolutely haunting as Bulger though, his whole demeanor was something you just couldnt take your eyes off of. While I think the film itself was nothing magnificent, I really think he's looking at a Best Actor nomination with this one. 

Saw this Wednesday. Really enjoyed it. Love the subject matter which is clearly where The Departed drew some type of inspiration.

Yeah Costello was definitely modeled a good bit after Whitey, but what a lot of people never seem to mention is that Departed was really a remake of a fantastic Chinese film Infernal Affairs, it just happened to fit pretty well into the setting of south Boston at the time so Marty tweaked the characters to appeal to that setting. I think only Scorcese could have pulled that off the way he did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now watching Monsters Inc for the 45th time with my son. This is a really good film - even for adults.

The follow-up Monsters University is great too.

Two of my favourite films ever! :D 

Going to watch The Italian Job later this week. Not the American one mind. The original British one 'cause that's good watching right there.

The Italian Job could well be my favourite film ever, so many to think about though

And on the subject of Bond, Spectre is great imo, i'd give it an 8/10.

Anyone else getting insanely excited about The Force Awakens? Also new Bond, and Avengers 2 (which I have not yet seen) 2015 is a cracker year for blockbusters that could actually live up to the word.

Yes to new Star Wars - not expecting anything approaching the awesomeness first 3 but just hoping it's not a stinker.

• 1 month later...

I've been working myself up into a state for the new star wars movie, I'll go and see it in a week or so when the hubub settles. In the mean time, with the help of professional geeks on youtube, I've been bolstering my understanding of the history of the Republic and the Empire. I've got a whole new respect for the Mandalorians. 

I must admit I'm not familiar with the expanded Star Wars universe at all. Episode VII seems to be getting mixed reviews though. A few people love it but quite a few people seem very disappointed. I'll have to wait until The Force Awakens is released on DVD to see it.

Speaking of the expanded universe I do need to bolster my knowledge but am not sure where to start.

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I must admit I'm not familiar with the expanded Star Wars universe at all. Episode VII seems to be getting mixed reviews though. A few people love it but quite a few people seem very disappointed. I'll have to wait until The Force Awakens is released on DVD to see it.

Speaking of the expanded universe I do need to bolster my knowledge but am not sure where to start.

Let me say this about that, we can not always hope to be twelve years old and get captivated by several aspects of a scifi-fantasy action movie. Sophistication is not going to help us enjoy Star Wars, so go into it with a light heart if you can.

As for the Expanded Universe, forget about it, stay focused on Lovecraft, that suits you well in my opinion...

necronomicon1.jpg

I'm mostly in Star Wars for the lightsaber duels anyway. Actually I can even put together my own little top 5 for those.

5. Yoda vs Count Dooku Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

4. Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

3. Qui Gonn Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul Episode I: The Phantom Menace

2. Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode III Revenge Of The Sith

1. Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

SPILER ALERT!

I enjoyed it a lot. Going back to see it a 2nd time this weekend so I can actually sit back and watch it as a movie. Hope that makes sense.

I think the main objective was to woo back the old fans the prequels killed off - and in that context it wins hands down. Longer term, it sets a solid base for the next two.

GG is right - you can never be a 12 year old again seeing something like the original for the first time and being totally swept away, mouth wide open not believing what you are seeing. Put that unfair expectation aside and the movie is a winner.

I totally get where you're coming from. With something like this the first viewing you're always so excited there's no chance of being objective about the film. I remember loving The Phantom Menace first time I saw it for this reason. Now I recognise that it is seriously flawed with Darth Maul being basically the only redeeming feature. Even his major battle was so disappointing. The way he died was just lame. Had a kickass villain that could have made Episodes II and III so much cooler but no we want him to die in humiliating fashion.

• 2 weeks later...