What's on your mind?

Apoc

On 14/02/2017 at 7:45 AM, jfk36 said:

Apparently I'm in the wrong for asking my flatmate to keep the noise down with her boyfriend at 3am... tis a strange world I tell ye.

Too loud you say? 3am you say? Well it was Valentine's Day wasn't it?

Just booked my dog in for a checkup with the vet. His vaccinations are up to date but he seems to have developed a possible nerve issue I want to get looked at. Of late he'll yelp every now and then for no obvious reason when standing up and I'm worried.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Too loud you say? 3am you say? Well it was Valentine's Day wasn't it?

Just booked my dog in for a checkup with the vet. His vaccinations are up to date but he seems to have developed a possible nerve issue I want to get looked at. Of late he'll yelp every now and then for no obvious reason when standing up and I'm worried.

Hope he's okay.

Race is indeed a thorny issue, but it needs to be discussed. The Orwellian thing that is going down right now is that federal agents are going door to door in the U.S.A. demanding to see peoples papers, following a leader who does not speak in complete sentences. Anyway we have all got major errors in thought, and we need to deal with them with an open mind. Many people are glad to see the Trump administration in power, and are enthusiastic about a wall going up on the Mexican border, and want to see illegal aliens ejected from "American soil", let's open up a thread and get down to it. I'm ready to try and talk about such things with a clear head. I know it's not my vision for M'erica that we do those things, but talking it out is definitely part of my vision. As for Parker's complaint about the sensibility of a term, I regard that as chaff, I want to talk about race. I know that I believe that race and culture should be fun and interesting, and that the more diverse our communities can be the more interesting they will be, but People like me need to hear other ideas and such. I've been advised to try and make myself persuadable.

This post does not quite do what I hoped it would I guess, but this forum is a fine place to air out some of the dirty laundry in our minds. I guess civility was lacking in Dr. Trashy Boozers anti-commie rant and he got booted. He never said much about metal that was of interest to me, but that is besides the point.

This world is looking more and more dangerous to me all the time. We may be headed for a total disaster with the methane on the ocean floor. I've heard that in 9 years it might just boil up and elevate temperatures 20 degrees.  Is that possible? What are we going to do about it? In this thread someone might open I'll try to be persuadable that we might be OK for a few hundred years during which time we might learn how to live on this planet like a species with a sense purpose.

My Facebook feed makes it seems like Trump will soon be jailed for treason. I'm I living in a reality bubble or is this for real?

We can only hope. The guy is clearly pretty good at insulating himself from the backlash that should come from talking as much shit as he does, but at some point, even those supporting him may say enough is enough.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

On 2/13/2017 at 11:10 AM, Parker said:

Here's what's randomly on my mind: I hate the terms "Latino/a" and "Latin America." The "Latin" in these terms are a reference to the language of Latin, which Spanish and Portuguese are derived from, and these terms are used to refer to Spanish, and sometimes Portuguese, speaking people. The problem is that Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, and Romanian are all derived from Latin. No one goes around calling French, Italian, or Romanian speaking people Latino/a. And they speak French in Quebec, yet no one considers Quebec to be part of Latin America.

The real problem here is the modern, evil, Orwellian propaganda that races don't exist, and peoples can only be referenced by their language or location. This propaganda, as you can see above, diminishes the accuracy of our language, and thus diminishes our ability to communicate.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:16 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Man, you sure do hate a lot of stuff.

I also don't know where you get the idea that the term "Latino" is a symptom of an evil Orwellian propagandistic idea that "races don't exist". Evolutionarily speaking, race within humans seems to differentiate us almost exclusively in terms of phenotype. There's no denying that people from all over the world look very different from one another, but there's also no denying that we're one species, capable of interbreeding, happy to do so given the circumstances; and genetically speaking, we're more homogenous than many animal species. I don't see essential differences between races. I do see groups of people treating other groups of people poorly depending on how they look, speak, or comport themselves; we're very attuned to minute differences in each other. Easy to see how that could have been a valuable evolutionary development in nomadic tribal groups.

Linguistic and cultural development could make for a really interesting discussion, but I have to admit I'm getting a bad vibe from your post, Parker. And this is also (potentially) a bigger discussion than I have time for at the moment, as I'm home with my son today.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, Parker said:

My post had nothing to do with hate. I don't hate anyone based on their race. I don't hate Hispanic people. I'm sorry you got a bad vibe. I didn't mean anything bad. And you're right, if we were to really delve into the topic it would need its own thread (it was just something on my mind at the time, thought that's what this thread is for). My suspicion is that you got that bad vibe because you have been subconsciously indoctrinated by that Orwellian propaganda ;) Ha ha, I'm joking now.

As for me hating a lot of stuff 1) The word, "hate," does not appear in my post 2) I'm genuinely sorry if you interpreted anything I wrote to mean I hate anyone, I did not intend that. I'm opinionated and very thorough in my thought processes. That is to say that when thinking deeply on a topic and presenting my point of view I try to think of counter arguments and, "head them off at the pass." It seems that online, where you can't here my tone of voice or read my expression, this comes of as me sounding hateful and/or angry. I don't mean to be this way. Again, I sincerely apologies if I seemed to be espousing hate or offended anyone. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:20 PM, Parker said:

Ooops, wote all that, then realised I had used the term hate right at the begining of the post. Sorry, it's just hate for a word, not a people. I guess I should have used the term dis like. Guess I should stop posting.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:25 PM, Parker said:

My post was about semantics. But you took it as an opertunity to throw a thinly vieled acusation of racism my way. I used to think of you as a friend. I don't need people in my life putting me down. Delete my account.

I suppose this is worth responding to more fully. Parker, once again, I'm not trying to put you down as a person, or run you off the forum. However... Your initial post here wasn't really about semantics. It's kooky to assert that there's a problem involving "evil Orwellian propaganda" that "races don't exist". That's tantamount to saying the government (or some other organization) is engaging in top-down control of our language in order to cover something up.

First, that's not how language works; a lexicon is a messy, constantly shifting pool of terms that change pronunciation, acquire new meanings, lose old ones, and become more or less popular based on regional and cultural norms. Any study of language history will tell you that. The semantics of an individual term like "Latino" are a snapshot that doesn't have as much weight as you're giving it. Complaining about "Latino" in particular is on par with not liking the term "Romance language" because Romance languages are spoken outside of Rome.

Second, to say that the content of this "propaganda" is that "races don't exist" is to imply not only that races do exist, by golly, but that there's something important about racial differences that The Organization doesn't want people to know. This is a straw man; it misstates the scientific consensus, which I already mentioned, that races definitely "exist", but that visible physical differences conceal a high degree of genetic homogeneity within our species and aren't, by themselves, predictive of personality traits like intelligence or behavior patterns. Here, we could talk about other environmental factors like poverty, pollution, or institutional racism; we could also criticize "politically correct colorblindness" for whitewashing ongoing problems. The reason your post gave me a bad vibe is that, when I parse it, there are overtones of some things I've read insisting that there are essential differences between races, in degree and in kind, and that people from different races aren't compatible. I don't know whether that's your point of view, which is why I said "bad vibe" instead of "you're a racist". Judging by your other posts, I doubt that you think that; the overtones are there nonetheless. I would be interested in seeing you clarify your statement. There's nothing thin, veiled, or accusatory about my responses.

I don't know what made your mood go from conciliatory to aggrieved in between your first and third responses. I regret that I was off the forum during that time because I think we could have headed this off in a quicker and more positive way. But, I reject the idea that this discussion amounts to an attack, or constitutes a reason for you to leave the forum. I'm not taking responsibility for that. I've had my own struggles with depression, and I have sympathy for the emotional problems you've talked about with us, as well as the other shit that life has tossed your way recently; in fact, if you look at our past interactions, a lot of the regulars including myself have been very supportive towards you. That doesn't mean I can't take issue with something in one of your posts. It also doesn't make that a personal betrayal. You've said that you like to argue, and you've certainly expressed some other strong negative opinions of your own recently on a variety of topics.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned, the door here is open for you. I hope you're alright.

___

Gorbo, you're welcome to start such a thread, or bump our existing "Politics" thread. It's an important conversation, and I would trust most people here to keep it civil and not devolve into trolling and abuse (and yes, that's why Boozenthrash is gone). I personally find online political conversations consuming and exhausting; there are some things that demand a response, but that's not to say I look forward to it or enjoy it, and I actually like how rarely we touch on those topics here. It's restful compared to the rest of the online sphere. I guess it's no surprise that the world at large would intrude even here, given the sheer magnitude of the shitstorm.

___

Deathstorm, good luck with your sleep study, I hope it's helpful.

39 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said: Time is flying by now. Just eight days to go. Got everything I need sorted now - Visa, flights, accomodation, travel card loaded with US currency, small amount of cash in lower denominations for tips, anything I've missed fellas?

Make sure your phone will work over here?

Yes that's a very good point. Your phone will work but whoever your with (Telstra, Optus etc) will probably be renting network space from a US provider so you'll be charged a fortune with all that data roaming. You should get a US SIM card - or don't take your phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It feels like it's been ages since I was on the forum, but it's probably only been a few days. The last few evenings the thought of getting back on a computer has been anathema to me. 

What's on my mind is that I'm glad it's the weekend, and that tomorrow night the Countess and I are actually heading into the (labyrinthine and cyclopean) city for a very rare foray into fine dining. We used to be really into fine dining back when we were young vampiric lovers flush with funds and fresh blood, but alas trying to keep Castle Requiem in good order whilst raising a duo of vampirettes has channeled our diabolical engagements into more domestic contexts. 

Can't wait to sink my fangs into some boeuf! 

Another thing on my mind is the question as to why the 20/20 Cricket between Australia and Sri Lanka is still going at 10:45pm with another 30 balls remaining. What's with the lateness? I need to go to bed.