What's on your mind?

Apoc

I've recently discovered a site, Metal helm, that's such a large merch site that it's basically a database of Christian metal groups. Lots of brutal death metal, and surprisingly not a whole lot of core stuff. However, there is just LOADS of black metal, it's remarkable. I'm finding lots of good stuff on the site and getting much more into black metal while I'm at it.

Re: What's on your mind?

I've heard many horror stories of adopted kids being abused by the adoptive parents which may have skewed my perception of the process. Isn't it true though that a child given up for adoption can be taken back by the birth parent within 30 days if she changes her mind over there?
In some open adoptions, the biological parent(s) can change their minds, which is bullshit. It should be like any other contract, once signed, no going back. As far as adoptive parents being abusive, I'm sure it's no more common than biological parents being abusive. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't quite know what to make of the brain death argument, so I will set that aside as an exception until I formulate a position. As it stands I suppose it would be best to ask whether or not brain and heart functions were still going to happen.

In the case of brain death it's kinder to terminate the unborn child then carry it to term Iceni. The child will be dependant on machines and will never be conscious and so forcing the mother to give birth to a child she can never care for is just cruel. I firmly believe it is the mother's right to decide whether abortion is right for her or not but the process should be more strictly controlled with a screening process to ensure there is actually a valid reason for termination.

In case of brain death I go with Murph. I agree that there are situations in which abortion should be recommended, yet I believe it's done way more often than it has to. In a situation in which you know the child won't have self-consiousness I find it to be the better decision. Altough I have never been a mother I suppose that the prospect of giving birth to a child you're not ready for is scary as hell and you can never be responsable enough to manage to prevent it from happening 100%. SInce I'm at work I avoid writing long posts, but I really believe this world needs more brave people that will choose the hard way instead of getting rid of their responsability.

Abortion should be permitted only where permitting the child to be carried to term is detrimental to either the health of the child' date=' the health of the mother, or both.[/quote'] This is more or less my position, I don't believe in using it as a cop-out or a way to avoid social embarrassment. There are plenty of birth control methods to prevent pregnancy from happening in the first place that if you don't want a child, you should be using. In school systems like mine that teach abstinence only, that information is harder isn't given to you uniformly, but I don't believe that it should be either. Parents should be teaching their kids about sex, not pawning off all of the responsibility to the school system.

Re: What's on your mind?

How can it be that for all our technological advances in the last fifty years we still haven't found the cure for stupidity?
Because it isn't a disease/illness, it can only really be changed by the person themselves, and if the stupid people do not wish to change that, stupid they will stay.

I beg to differ Dave stupidity is an infection spreading rapidly throughout this planet like a cancer. There must be a root cause of this startling decline in intelligence, a lack of intelligence which seems counter-intuitive. Mankind has only survived this long on intellect yet intelligence seems to be declining more rapidly now then at any other time in human history whilst technology is advancing more rapidly then at any other time in human history.

I don't know. When it was difficult to get knowledge, people were curious. Now that it is easy, they are not that curious I guess, and I think curiosity feeds intelligence. But why do you think there are so much more stupid people now and less in the past? I personnally don't have any observations about the past:)

Because it isn't a disease/illness' date=' it can only really be changed by the person themselves, and if the stupid people do not wish to change that, stupid they will stay.[/quote'] This is basically what I was going to say. Stupidity is a choice, not a disorder. The trend that Murph is noticing is one of the glorification of choosing stupidity, which is why it's running rampant. It is trendy to be stupid, greedy, shallow, and rude, so this is what people have been gravitating towards. When everybody that you see on TV acts this way, and they have more money than you do, why wouldn't people be jealous and want to follow suit?

I beg to differ Dave stupidity is an infection spreading rapidly throughout this planet like a cancer. There must be a root cause of this startling decline in intelligence' date=' a lack of intelligence which seems counter-intuitive. Mankind has only survived this long on intellect yet intelligence seems to be declining more rapidly now then at any other time in human history whilst technology is advancing more rapidly then at any other time in human history.[/quote'] 'We live in an age of nuclear giants and ethical infants.' - Gen. Omar Bradley. I both agree and disagree. Stupidity is not really more prevalent, it's just that people's ability to display their stupidity is much more readily available and cheap. One can acquire a Facebook or Twitter account, or buy a can of spray paint, or make a YouTube video pretty easily. It is unlikely that some unlikely 1500's dolt would go and buy himself a chisel and mallet to etch 'religion is the opiate of the masses' on a chapel wall. The other 'lack of intelligence', I think, lies in the axiom that 'everyone's special and important' and 'you should not be afraid to say what you believe'. One good reason for not saying what you believe is that you may well be ignorant. But because of the new postmodern understanding of epistemology, everyone and his sister are encouraged to 'express themselves' rather than think critically or have an ounce of humility. Because postmodern epistemology postulates that there is no way of determining truth, everyone's opinion is just as good as any others.

I am personnally not so annoyed by stupid people as long as they're not proud of it, as Iceni said :) Some people don't have the brains to be intelligent and don't pretend to have it, yet they can be much more pleasant to communicate with than some person that is relatively smart and that makes you feel as a piece of crap in his company. It requires some level of self-knowledge and intelligence to know that you're not smart enough to express an opinion on a certain topic, and some people simply don't have it. For example, I cannot participate in your conversations about economy and politics simply because I was never interested in those subjects, it is a shame for me from time to time but I can't force myself sometimes. On the other hand there would be people that will join in with saying something shockingly senseless in order to just say something and participate. This is something that gets on my nerves, I had a collegue like this. When we were discussing a film/book at class in my master's degree, he would drop something like "it makes me think of formula 1", without saying why, just like that. Yet I never managed to despise him, because it was obvious he is a good guy-and I believe that this is more important than intelligence. So I totally agree with you Iceni, just wanted to add that you have to have some minimal intelligence to realise you need to shut up instead of saying a big variety of nonsense, and that stupid people don't really annoy me when they don't mean to harm anyone

Intelligence and conversational tact should certainly coincide, however they are not mutually exclusive. I think both traits can be equally important, although they are often poorly defined. For example: some people think complex = intelligent, and "conversational tact" means no one in the discussion can have an opposing opinion.