What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I drink alone so I don't do expensive status symbols.

It’s not a status thing, through 2017 and 2018 I was a problem drinker, wouldn’t be uncommon from 8 to finish two or three bottles of Jack Daniels a week back then. Thanks in part two intervention, and in part two, actually turning my life around, I kicked the habit. however to avoid relapsing, I find it helps to buy something more expensive that I will save for social gatherings rather than keep the cheap stuff around and be tempted to drink just because. 

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

maaaan

this video always cracks me up

right up there with the Al Di Meola album covers with a nice-looking lady in the background but what is he focused on? his guitar. such a grown man.

24 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Video unavailable in my country. We're only allowed to see Wiggles videos in Australia now.

It's that George Thorogood song of course.

these days, you can literally just get a template to follow from the Internet, help, depending on where they are applying. Someone will even have the template on their website, been five years since I had to do one, and it’s now horribly out of date but I think I could fix it in about 10 minutes.

I update mine 2-3 times a year. I'm not looking for anything at the moment, but it pays to stay prepared. I forget 3/4s of the stuff I do being as busy as I am, so being proactive keeps me in tip-top shape in case something comes along that catches my eye. I've also had to submit my resume fairly regularly for various national trainings I've applied for/attended, awards/recognition, and other stuff not related to getting a new job.

I'm also a hiring manager and see hundreds of resumes a year. If I could give people a bit of advice, it would go something like this:

1) Use spell check you ignorant fuck. Use grammar check while you're at it. Nothing will get you straight into my trashcan faster.

2) Pick a format and go with it. There is no standard, just make sure it's easy to follow.

3) Have someone else look it over as if they're hiring you. This will help catch errors and ensure it's readable/easy to follow.

4) Unless you're competing for a high-level job (executive type), keep it to 2 pages max.

5) I don't care about the first place ribbon you got in the county fair or letter of appreciation from the mayor's secretary. If it's not a recognized award from the industry or a state/national level award, skip it.

6) Don't list educational programs you didn't finish. You wouldn't believe how many times I see "some college". Just tells me you're a quitter.

7) If you're changing jobs every 2 years - include something (maybe in the cover letter) about why. Nobody wants a short term rental employee. If it takes me 2 years to get you fully up to speed, and you're basically telling me you're not staying longer than that, I'll pass. Gig-economy types can ignore this one.

😎 Don't simply post the job description under previous jobs. Post what you did. What you accomplished.

9) You get approximately 20 seconds to catch my attention. Put the important stuff up front. Name, qualifications, contact info, etc. Make sure that you read what the hiring announcement says they are looking for and address how you meet them.

10) Last, make sure you're resume is up to date. Especially the Job Experience and Education sections. It's pretty easy to tell when it's not. And make sure it's written for the job you're applying for. If you're applying for an analyst position, but you're resume says you're interested in a technician position....straight to jail (trash).

In England we have CV's because we can't let fucking go of Latin even in 2023.  Mine is years out of date, largely due to the amount of headhunting that goes on for me on LinkedIn with recruiters offering me jobs with impossible salaries expecting to me to fall into the trap of finding out the hard way why the salary is so high because a) the company is awful to work for b) is getting wiped out by its competitors c) has gotten greedy and now all its customers have realised there are cheaper alternatives etc.

Actually at a point as I approach fifty where I am considering if I have one more move in me.  Done years of operational and management stuff so could it be time to make that strategic view on things and try and get into some director position?  Who knows.  A lot of plates spinning at any one time for me but the big advantage is working autonomously and (providing shit gets done) getting paid a decent wedge plus commission without responsibility for other people - who let's face it are usually dicks anyway - or having to provide much in the way of strategic guidance or direction.

Should still update the CV anyways as coming up for ten years at my current place and survived three different takeovers (most billed as mergers - but all takeovers) so my luck can't last forever.

2 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

In England we have CV's because we can't let fucking go of Latin even in 2023.  Mine is years out of date, largely due to the amount of headhunting that goes on for me on LinkedIn with recruiters offering me jobs with impossible salaries expecting to me to fall into the trap of finding out the hard way why the salary is so high because a) the company is awful to work for b) is getting wiped out by its competitors c) has gotten greedy and now all its customers have realised there are cheaper alternatives etc.

Actually at a point as I approach fifty where I am considering if I have one more move in me.  Done years of operational and management stuff so could it be time to make that strategic view on things and try and get into some director position?  Who knows.  A lot of plates spinning at any one time for me but the big advantage is working autonomously and (providing shit gets done) getting paid a decent wedge plus commission without responsibility for other people - who let's face it are usually dicks anyway - or having to provide much in the way of strategic guidance or direction.

Should still update the CV anyways as coming up for ten years at my current place and survived three different takeovers (most billed as mergers - but all takeovers) so my luck can't last forever.

We still call them CVs too depending on the field. Some places ask for a CV and a resume, like WTF is the difference? Maybe some fine points, but they're essentially the same. You shouldn't need both.

I'm 2 years shy of 50. I'd like to say I don't have many moves left in my career, but I'm sure I do. I've had 4 positions (in the same org) in the past 10 years, so with another 15-20 years left I'm sure to have a few. I would love to find a spot where i could make the same money without supervising people. I have 275 right now and regularly deal with a combative labor union. I'd rid myself of that shit in a heartbeat. Anybody who ever tells you they want to be a supervisor either a) have never been one or b) are likely a dirtbag.

And I completely ignore Linkedin. I'm on there, but trying to keep up with that crap would eat up every free minute of my day. I have enough to do, and like you, I don't figure anyone worth working for is in need of dragging Linkedin for candidates.

My last CV update was so long ago that 3 out of 4 of my references are no longer taking phone calls. The last job it has listed as 1989 but it does have curriculum vitae written at the top. I do remember updating it once to a Word document from a Wordstar document in the mid 90's, but I never used it again. The layout and look of it isn't that much different to the way my kids have been told to do them these days.

Application writing is still a shit of a job though. My daughter has to address all 9 points out lined in the selection criteria, responded to individually with 2-4 paragraphs each. Then there is a section of 5 points, I can't remember the name of that one now, that requires all points to be addressed together in no more than 5 paragraphs.

An example of 21st century priorities:

At my work which is a major regional hospital, we've had a major gastroenteritis outbreak.

I have not seen anything about it in terms of official communication in terms of protocols or what they were doing (though it turns out 2 wards were closed but no formal email).  It took them 4 days to notify the local newspaper so people were going to hospital to visit relatives etc and getting sick.

However today I did get advised via formal email that the Tasmanian government has recognised the letter A in LGBTIQA+.

51 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

so… Today I found out my first service assessment is Thursday, slightly stressful, but fortunately it’s reasonably straightforward, still I sure would have liked to not be sick all weekend, so I could practice and get myself organised a little better…

Good luck ol' bean!

Sorta ironic but I got a surprise yesterday myself. Not 15 minutes after posting my little resume rant above, I got a call to interview for a promotion. Not totally out of left field, the position has been vacant a while and I've basically been doing the job in the interim, but it is unexpected. Just emphasizes my point of always being ready for an opportunity to come along.

That said, Im fairly nervous about it. Would be a serious step up (second man in the organization) as well as a big change in my travel responsibilities which are already quite busy. Not to mention I've never interviewed at that level. However it would keep me in place for the foreseeable future and not require a big move to some other location which I have been anticipating/dreading for a while. So it will be a stressful week. I've nothing to lose if I don't get it though and I'm confident I'm the guy for the job, but I'll still be on edge until it's over and a selection is announced.

Good luck @RelentlessOblivion! I'm sure you will do great.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

Sorta ironic but I got a surprise yesterday myself. Not 15 minutes after posting my little resume rant above, I got a call to interview for a promotion. Not totally out of left field, the position has been vacant a while and I've basically been doing the job in the interim, but it is unexpected. Just emphasizes my point of always being ready for an opportunity to come along.

That said, Im fairly nervous about it. Would be a serious step up (second man in the organization) as well as a big change in my travel responsibilities which are already quite busy. Not to mention I've never interviewed at that level. However it would keep me in place for the foreseeable future and not require a big move to some other location which I have been anticipating/dreading for a while. So it will be a stressful week. I've nothing to lose if I don't get it though and I'm confident I'm the guy for the job, but I'll still be on edge until it's over and a selection is announced.

Good luck man, sounds like a good opportunity.

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

You've got a leg up in that you're basically already doing the job in addition to your regular job and your performance probably speaks for itself. They just wanted to see that you could handle it before making it official. Interview is likely little more than a formality. If they weren't happy with your performance and didn't think you were the right guy they would have looked outside the company for applicants and not said anything to you. But I get that you just never know, so good luck brother. And if you get it now you'll have enough money to hire the metal bands to come to Pensacola, no more flying around the country to see all these festivals and cruises 'n shit.

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You've got a leg up in that you're basically already doing the job in addition to your regular job and your performance probably speaks for itself. They just wanted to see that you could handle it before making it official. Interview is likely little more than a formality. If they weren't happy with your performance and didn't think you were the right guy they would have looked outside the company for applicants and not said anything to you. But I get that you just never know, so good luck brother. And if you get it now you'll have enough money to hire the metal bands to come to Pensacola, no more flying around the country to see all these festivals and cruises 'n shit.

If I won the lottery dude, I swear I'd be a promoter and turn my little corner of the world into a metal mecca. But in the interim, we're getting some good local shows again. Here's hoping it keeps up. We've had quite a few this summer (Squishabugg, Kruelty, Cenotaphe - Turkish version, Overkill, Exhorder, Heathen) and a few upcoming (Cynic, Cavalera Conspiracy, Hellfire, Inri). So at least my travel budget is recovering a bit. Next year though...holy fuck it's going to be busy. 70K in Feb, Hells Heroes in March, MDF in May, and Metal Threat possible in Oct. At least I get the Frequent Flyer miles.

I'm fairly confident my track record will speak for itself, but you never know with these things. It may just be professional courtesy that gets me in the door, but I'm happy to just be in the conversation. It does seem funny to me that they would let some washed up hesher like me run an organization of this size. I mean it's the largest healthcare system on the Gulf Coast and stretches over 3 states. I often sit around and wonder how the hell did I end up here, but I guess that's a fairly common phenomenon at the top of many companies. If you would have told 17 yo me that I'd be here, well you'd have gotten a funny look for sure. Thanks for the vote(s) of confidence dudes. We'll see how it goes. I'll still keep on breathing either way.

8 hours ago, navybsn said:

If I won the lottery dude, I swear I'd be a promoter and turn my little corner of the world into a metal mecca. But in the interim, we're getting some good local shows again. Here's hoping it keeps up. We've had quite a few this summer (Squishabugg, Kruelty, Cenotaphe - Turkish version, Overkill, Exhorder, Heathen) and a few upcoming (Cynic, Cavalera Conspiracy, Hellfire, Inri). So at least my travel budget is recovering a bit. Next year though...holy fuck it's going to be busy. 70K in Feb, Hells Heroes in March, MDF in May, and Metal Threat possible in Oct. At least I get the Frequent Flyer miles.

I'm fairly confident my track record will speak for itself, but you never know with these things. It may just be professional courtesy that gets me in the door, but I'm happy to just be in the conversation. It does seem funny to me that they would let some washed up hesher like me run an organization of this size. I mean it's the largest healthcare system on the Gulf Coast and stretches over 3 states. I often sit around and wonder how the hell did I end up here, but I guess that's a fairly common phenomenon at the top of many companies. If you would have told 17 yo me that I'd be here, well you'd have gotten a funny look for sure. Thanks for the vote(s) of confidence dudes. We'll see how it goes. I'll still keep on breathing either way.

Well done on your career!  

Don't want to sound offensive but may I ask in addition to working hard (coz we know you do) did you do a lot of networking ? 

In my experience the only people who get promoted tend to be good at networking or even plain old arse kissing.  Competence or hard work is an irrelevance ie they can be competent or incompetent but that doesn't matter, what matters is how they network and play the game.

Personally I am about as stuck as the Titanic is sitting on the bottom of the ocean:

1. Regional town so literally no where to go.  With automation and centralisation, there's not many jobs like mine left and most of the higher level ones have been sent to the capital city.  I don't want to relocate - large cities can be nuked for all I care.

2. I don't do networking.  I am not going to associate with people I don't like for career purposes nor will I kiss arse.

3. I speak my mind which is often at odds with the group think that permeates my department.  I literally present people with facts which are odds with their delusions eg

Them: "Yes we can afford this program." 

Me: "I've crunched the numbers and you're going to be $6 million in deficit over your $10 million budget.

I don't lie and I don't buy into group think.  It's a problem in a government service that I'd describe as "Game of Thrones without the sex."

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Well done on your career!  

Don't want to sound offensive but may I ask in addition to working hard (coz we know you do) did you do a lot of networking ? 

In my experience the only people who get promoted tend to be good at networking or even plain old arse kissing.  Competence or hard work is an irrelevance ie they can be competent or incompetent but that doesn't matter, what matters is how they network and play the game.

Yeah man, no offense taken. I'm not an ass kisser, but I know how to play the game. I know how to network. I don't take shit, but I know how to build coalitions and consensus. And probably more importantly, I know when to stop pushing on an issue and look for another way around. Everything in the professional world boils down to 3 things in my experience, politics, preparation, and personal relationships. You either figure out how to navigate those things or you don't. Being in the right place at the right time never hurts either.

I think the other 2 keys for being successful for me at least are 1) I really don't give a shit about "getting a position" or "being the top dog". I just hate working for idiots when I know I can do a better job that they can. I'd just rather do it myself. 2) I'm the guy that gets things done. Got a problem you can't solve, give it to me I'll fix it. My wife and daughter call me the "Fixer". There is no load too heavy or task too big. Producing results, being dependable, and tackling the tough stuff has gotten me a long way.

There's a price though. I have very little "work-life balance". I never really stop working. Brain is always turning things over. There's always stress. I'm extremely type A and quite OCD, so having the sort of responsibilities that I do aggravates or takes advantage of those personality traits. The only good thing from all that is that I recognize it, acknowledge when I'm taking it too far, and take steps to adjust course so I can mitigate somewhat. I'm serious about what I do, but I do my best to keep a sense of humor, not take things personally, and be laid back (at least as much as I can). But if I get a call at 2pm on a Sunday that something has to be done now, I've no problem dropping everything and getting it done.

Catch me off-duty and you'd never guess any of the above is true. I'm pretty chill. An average dude who is passionate about heavy metal and outdoor activities (and good beer!). Just an average middle aged hesher. Hanging with the boys talking shit, going to shows, or being outdoors (golfing, fishing, or camping) are the only times I can relax and be the type B dude I've always tried to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm still turning shit over in my brain, but it's as relaxed as you're ever going to find me.

I am less "involved" than @navybsnin terms of although my job isn't 9-5 if you want me at the weekend you have fuck all chance of getting me.  Sure, if I need to get something done that is going to help me deliver a superb pitch or presentation (especially if we are in a competitive exercise) then I will take the time to do some out of hours work for my own gain.  Likewise, I am great at networking.  In a large organisation like mine, my name is well known (not in shining lights or anything) but if I need something to be done and there is a myriad of bureaucracy in my way I can soon cut through it, get to the people I need to influence and get the outcome my clients and I need.  That's a cultural thing too though that not all companies can aspire to I know.  I can take that networking and use it to grow my client territory outside of the business as well and that is largely because I worked for years actually in the industry that I now provide to so I can relay experience and knowledge to onboard people quickly.

Lots of years of hard work have got me to where I am now though, done my time running the length and breadth of the country to get fuck all financial and peer recognition but someone was taking notice and put me in one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had.  Ass kissing isn't a thing I have ever seen work for anyone, usually only seen it deployed by folks who are incompetent at the vast majority of their role and need to mask it with excessive and gratuitous praise to the higher ups.  Thankful to work with folks who have all got to where they are via honest, hard work.  Not taking exception to your experience @Dead1, just sharing my own personal experience. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

@navybsn is the hurricane directly impacting your area? Hope y'all are alright.

Looking at the map, all the severe damage and flooding seems to be from Panama City eastward, and our boy Navy the Fixer is 100 miles west of there all the way out at the very farthest west end of the panhandle, practically in Mobile Alabama. Idalia made landfall this morning near Keaton Beach which is another 100 or 150 miles east of Panama City. Now she's up in eastern Georgia heading NE supposed to reach Savannah by 8pm tonight and then Charleston SC, then she's projected to scoot right up along the Carolina coast as far as Wilmington NC by 8am tomorrow before heading out to sea and setting course straight for Bermuda by Sunday.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

@navybsn is the hurricane directly impacting your area? Hope y'all are alright.

Yup GG'S got it. Way east of us. Impact starts around 3 hours from here with landfall being 5-6 hours away. I was just down that way. One of my favorite parts of the state. Completely opposite of anything you would imagine about Florida. Few tourists and attractions. Lots of fishing. The beaches are more appropriately coast lines rather than sandy beaches. Fairly rural and among the poorest areas of the state. Lots of swamp and trees, so the biggest area of impact is uninhabited, but still a good deal of people down that way. That area doesn't see a lot of storm action which is worrisome because a lot of that property doesn't face regular stress tests and is likely below code (heavily revised for new construction post-Andrew in 90). But, if I know these Crackers (not the derogatory meaning of the term, it's actually what the residents along the Forgotten Coast refer to themselves "Florida Crackers"), they'll survive ok. It will be the big buck investors and people with vacation homes who will be begging for government intervention to to rebuild and reimburse. Happens every time and it's gross. The people who live there every day scratching out a living get jack shit for attention but the investors and weekenders who have plenty of resources suck up everything. Then all of our insurance rates go up even more (mine went up $2500 this year alone). See it every time. I love the Gulf Coast and the people who live here for the most part, but fuck I hate Florida.

Thanks FA for thinking of me! Not this time, but when you live here, it's just that. Next time could be us. September - November are prime time Gulf hurricane season and shit can change in a heartbeat. The last Cat 5 (Michael) went from a squall to annihilating Panama City in about 4 days. We're always on high alert this time of year no matter what the popular memes would have you believe.