What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Enslaved - Isa 

Rubbing those promo copies in our faces again, eh? :D  How is it? 

Actually not this time :D I'm not sure if you are able to open this link, but there is a full album stream for at least all Dutchies. And probably for everyone :D

Anyways, I like it so far. Some parts are a bit heavier then "A Map", but there are also a lot of softer moments (like the track I Almost Loved You, which really feels a lot like For My Fallen Angel) that are dripping from melancholy. It's nothing that special though, but a very solid MDB-release is my first impression. I will definitely give it more listens the next days, so by then I can tell you more (if can't listen to the stream).

Edited by Yobo

My Dying Bride - Feel The Misery 

Not just for Dutchies. :D

Fuck, his growls sound fantastic on here. Bloodbath shoulda gotten Aaron... There are a couple of great riffs that recall their classic stuff, so far it's a bit weighed down by cheesy and predictable parts but it's still good. 

Edited by FatherAlabaster

Really? I didn't know that, that sucks. It is an awesome album, probably my favorite pre-Below The Lights. 

Yeah, on one of their DVD's, they say that they don't like it because it's too aggressive, but it's got some stellar melodies too. I like Frost best from their pre-prog days, but Blodhemn and Vikingligr Veldi are also great. Eld is probably my least favorite of their old stuff, and maybe my least favorite of theirs overall next to Vertebrae, but even those are still good albums. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, on one of their DVD's, they say that they don't like it because it's too aggressive, but it's got some stellar melodies too. I like Frost best from their pre-prog days, but Blodhemn and Vikingligr Veldi are also great. Eld is probably my least favorite of their old stuff, and maybe my least favorite of theirs overall next to Vertebrae, but even those are still good albums. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Too aggressive? For VIKINGS WHO PLAY METAL? Pfffft, Valhalla awaits not the meek. I have been more into Frost over the past year. Still haven't gotten into Mardraum or Monumension, though, and I've been trying for years.

Enslaved - Ruun

Borknagar - s/t ...the only Borknagar album I like, Garm is still one of my absolute lifelong favorite screamers and it's a great performance. 

My Dying Bride - Feel The Misery 

Not just for Dutchies. :D

Fuck, his growls sound fantastic on here. Bloodbath shoulda gotten Aaron... There are a couple of great riffs that recall their classic stuff, so far it's a bit weighed down by cheesy and predictable parts but it's still good. 

This sounds really promising. I can't wait.

Too aggressive? For VIKINGS WHO PLAY METAL? Pfffft, Valhalla awaits not the meek. I have been more into Frost over the past year. Still haven't gotten into Mardraum or Monumension, though, and I've been trying for years.

Enslaved - Ruun

Borknagar - s/t ...the only Borknagar album I like, Garm is still one of my absolute lifelong favorite screamers and it's a great performance. 

Yeah, it is easily their most blast heavy and fast paced album, so I guess it is a bit less varied. So what? Good is good, and it's a part of their history. I love both Mardraum and Monumension, but both are much less accessible than Below the Lights. Mardraum is that perfect balance between the aggression of Blodhemn and their burgeoning progressive tendencies, the writing is a bit more jagged and stark than usual for them. Monumension is really out there, not as cohesive as Below the Lights, but it's more brazen and daring, and I love how all over the map it is. As far as Borknagar goes, I can't really get behind the debut. It features their most acclaimed lineup for sure, but the songwriting seems like a hodgepodge of half-baked ideas haphazardly thrown together. I don't feel like they found their sound until The Olden Domain, which is a monumental improvement over the debut IMO, and still features Garm's awesome vocals. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is easily their most blast heavy and fast paced album, so I guess it is a bit less varied. So what? Good is good, and it's a part of their history. I love both Mardraum and Monumension, but both are much less accessible than Below the Lights. Mardraum is that perfect balance between the aggression of Blodhemn and their burgeoning progressive tendencies, the writing is a bit more jagged and stark than usual for them. Monumension is really out there, not as cohesive as Below the Lights, but it's more brazen and daring, and I love how all over the map it is. As far as Borknagar goes, I can't really get behind the debut. It features their most acclaimed lineup for sure, but the songwriting seems like a hodgepodge of half-baked ideas haphazardly thrown together. I don't feel like they found their sound until The Olden Domain, which is a monumental improvement over the debut IMO, and still features Garm's awesome vocals. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have tried to listen to The Olden Domain a bit in the past year and I don't dig it. I think the various keyboard interludes on the debut are mostly lame, but the actual songs are cool. I suppose I just don't like the sound they grew into. I've listened to them here and there since I was a teenager, and I find most of their stuff off-putting for some reason. Not a fan of Vortex, for one.

Mardraum has been either interesting or annoying to me depending on my mood, so I'm going to have to keep trying...

NP: Monstrosity - Millennium 

Opeth - Ghost Reveries 

They gonna play that album in it's whole the upcoming tour. And all the tickets were already sold out before I could get one :sad: Normally I wouldn't care that much for a Opeth show anymore (hell, their concert at Summer Breeze was very dissapointing), but Ghost Reveries has just some really great songs like Reverie/Harlequin Forest, The Ghost of Perdition and The Baying of the Hounds. I would have loved to see those tracks live.

Edited by Yobo

They gonna play that album in it's whole the upcoming tour. And all the tickets were already sold out before I could get one :sad: Normally I wouldn't care that much for a Opeth show anymore (hell, their concert at Summer Breeze was very dissapointing), but Ghost Reveries has just some really great songs like Reverie/Harlequin Forest, The Ghost of Perdition and The Baying of the Hounds. I would have loved to see those tracks live.

I'm really excited, I'm actually going to see that tour in October. The last time I saw them, they opened with Ghost Of Perdition and it was fucking awesome. I'm really happy they'll play heavy stuff live again, the "soft only" concerts were a bummer for me. Can you not use your connections to get a press pass or something? 

I'm really excited, I'm actually going to see that tour in October. The last time I saw them, they opened with Ghost Of Perdition and it was fucking awesome. I'm really happy they'll play heavy stuff live again, the "soft only" concerts were a bummer for me. Can you not use your connections to get a press pass or something? 

I'm afraid not, sadly. We don't have any connections with both the venue they play and their label. They also play in Belgium though, at a venue we have connenctions with, but another dude of us is already going, so that's not an option either, I guess (also with travel costs + costs for a hotel or something). Hopefully, I can get across someone who is not going anymore, so I can buy his/her ticket.