What Are You Listening To?

khaos

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Crowbar’s particular blend of sludge may not appeal anyway, but damn kind of jealous that you even had the choice to see them or not, metal shows a few and far between in my neck of the woods, and quite often those that do make. It are certainly not worth attending.

Crowbar - Time Heals Nothing

Well here's your chance to kick start the push for more metal in Radelaide.

Tom Warrior is bringing Triumph Of Death down in August.

20 hours ago, JamesT said:

I saw your comparison of Verminthrone as being similar to PanterA, and that's all I needed to hear!  Checked them out immediately and I now have "The Cull" in my library.  Fantastic album with sick, heavy groove.  Doesn't get better than that for me!  I also hear some similarities to one of my top 5 bands of all time - the mighty Crowbar!

3540510263_photo.jpg?3518

What's the old guy doing there in the shorts, is that their dad? Their lawyer? Their bus driver? Road manager? Record company goon? Photographer's assistant? Maybe he's a spend the day with Verminthrone contest winner? He looks like he's at least as old as me, while all the rest of them are all in their 30's. Yes, these are the pointless things I wonder about.

Verminthrone - The Cull, Buckinghamshire UK. Let's have a little listen....might be a touch too modern sounding for me, but I wouldn't say I hate this. Sludgecore. It's a damn sight better than the new Exhorder anyway, that one fucking suuuucks. I made it 11 minutes earlier this morning before I just had to turn it off. Bouncy backwards hat wearing baggy pants bullshit.

51 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

That's a tough call, Exhorder is far what they once were but I don't hear anything more redeeming in Verminthrone.

There's nothing particularly redeeming about the Verminous ones, I just said I didn't hate it. It was inoffensive. But I wouldn't say I really liked it either. I listened to about 20 minutes of it out of curiosity, and now I'll never listen to it ever again.

Exhorder on the other hand, had made two pretty damn good albums about 40 or 50 years ago. But now I would have to say I find their latest album bad enough to consider it offensive. Just really awful. So this wasn't a case of the boys from Buckinghamshire being so much more redeeming (to use your word) but rather of the New Orleans quintet being quite rancid. And not in a good way.

NP: Deranged - Rated-X, brutal Swedeath 1995

I wouldn't have called Exhorder offensive but it's definitely nothing on their first two. I suppose that has something to do with there only being one original member left and he wasn't a main song writer of those first two I believe. I haven't bothered to watch any of their current live shows but I'd be surprised if they had whatever it was they had in the 90's.

6 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I wouldn't have called Exhorder offensive but it's definitely nothing on their first two. I suppose that has something to do with there only being one original member left and he wasn't a main song writer of those first two I believe. I haven't bothered to watch any of their current live shows but I'd be surprised if they had whatever it was they had in the 90's.

I saw them about 12 or maybe 14 years ago at MDF and found their set enjoyable enough. But that was before the reformation/comeback album in 2019 (which I've still never heard) so this was still mostly original members playing their original 90's material. Now that I've heard a bit of the new one I'll be sure to miss them next time they come though.

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I saw them about 12 or maybe 14 years ago at MDF and found their set enjoyable enough. But that was before the reformation/comeback album in 2019 (which I've still never heard) so this was still mostly original members playing their original 90's material. Now that I've heard a bit of the new one I'll be sure to miss them next time they come though.

If I was a regular concert goer I think I'd do the same.

11 hours ago, navybsn said:

Wode - Servants of the Countercosmos

New Wode. Hell yes. Hanging my do not disturb sign outside my door for the next few hours and I do mean it this time... No I don't care that the entire ground level had been overrun with rabid mole-rats. Do not disturb means do not disturb... Yeah I know they ate Craig, but he was always late on rent anyway.

19 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

New Wode. Hell yes. Hanging my do not disturb sign outside my door for the next few hours and I do mean it this time... No I don't care that the entire ground level had been overrun with rabid mole-rats. Do not disturb means do not disturb... Yeah I know they ate Craig, but he was always late on rent anyway.

You know that Wode album is from 2017, right? Love the first two Wode albums. The last one from 2021 not so much. Not aware of any new one incoming, but I miss a lot of announcements like that.

15 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Oof. You're gonna hate me (as if, you are incapable of hate in your heart), that Crowbar played at the same local pub where I saw Verminthrone last Monday and I didn't go! I was keen to see the local opening band Abraxian but, since I don't know Crowbar at all, the ticket price was just a little too much to be worth it.

Kind of regret it, but I'll get over it.

I definitely don't hate you, my metal brother!  I am, however, bummed to hear that you didn't get to see Crowbar.  I saw them live back in February of 2019 and got to have a brief conversation with founder and front man Kirk Windstein before the show.  I asked his wife, Robin, if she would mind snapping a couple of pics of me and Kirk, and she graciously agreed even though she was also trying to work the merchandise table.  

Kirk was very cool to me and allowed me to get a couple of pics with him.  I've got them stored in the cloud as we speak, now 5 years later.  

I'd highly recommend checking out Crowbar, especially if you're into sludge at all.  They've got some great groove to their sound as well, and they're the heaviest band I've ever heard.  At the show, while the guys were doing a quick sound check before their set, I could literally feel it in my teeth, the sounds was so incredibly heavy.  Spanning from their debut album, "Obedience Thru Suffering" (1991) to the present day, they currently have 12 albums in their catalog. I've heard that Down is planning to release their first new material in a decade, and I believe Kirk is playing with them right now.  But I'm hoping Crowbar will give us another couple of albums before they call it a day! 

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Oh man, I'm really enjoying the new Exhorder album, "Defectum Omnium"!  Kyle Thomas is a fantastic vocalist, and the album has an enjoyable quality all the way through.  It'll definitely be getting heavy rotation for me. 

12 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Oh man, I'm really enjoying the new Exhorder album, "Defectum Omnium"!  Kyle Thomas is a fantastic vocalist, and the album has an enjoyable quality all the way through.  It'll definitely be getting heavy rotation for me. 

I've tried a number of times and it just doesn't hold anything memorable for me. There's a few reasonable riffs but the lyrics and songs as a whole just aren't something I'd want to go back to like I do the first two albums.

1 minute ago, AlSymerz said:

I've tried a number of times and it just doesn't hold anything memorable for me. There's a few reasonable riffs but the lyrics and songs as a whole just aren't something I'd want to go back to like I do the first two albums.

Fair enough!  Those first two albums are classics for sure.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You know that Wode album is from 2017, right? Love the first two Wode albums. The last one from 2021 not so much. Not aware of any new one incoming, but I miss a lot of announcements like that.

Damn. You are correct. I've got the one from 2021 and it's a personal favorite of mine. Ah well. It'll be new Wode to me anyway.

Wode - Burn In Many Mirrors, Manchester UK 2021, haven't listened to this since the month it came out 3 years ago. It's not a bad album, it just pales in comparison to the first two which were pretty formidable and superior.

Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form, NOLA 2001. The only Crowbar album I've ever bought.

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

I definitely don't hate you, my metal brother!  I am, however, bummed to hear that you didn't get to see Crowbar.  I saw them live back in February of 2019 and got to have a brief conversation with founder and front man Kirk Windstein before the show.  I asked his wife, Robin, if she would mind snapping a couple of pics of me and Kirk, and she graciously agreed even though she was also trying to work the merchandise table.  

Kirk was very cool to me and allowed me to get a couple of pics with him.  I've got them stored in the cloud as we speak, now 5 years later.  

I'd highly recommend checking out Crowbar, especially if you're into sludge at all.  They've got some great groove to their sound as well, and they're the heaviest band I've ever heard.  At the show, while the guys were doing a quick sound check before their set, I could literally feel it in my teeth, the sounds was so incredibly heavy.  Spanning from their debut album, "Obedience Thru Suffering" (1991) to the present day, they currently have 12 albums in their catalog. I've heard that Down is planning to release their first new material in a decade, and I believe Kirk is playing with them right now.  But I'm hoping Crowbar will give us another couple of albums before they call it a day! 

Dude! We'll be needing to see those Kirkstein snaps forthwith bro. Forth-motherfucking-with!

Didn't realize Exhorder was your album of the year JT. Thought it would have been Pweest. Heavy rotation down there in Carolina eh? Hope my earlier comments about Omnium didn't hurt your feelings too deeply.

Seems to me though when all you have left of a 30+ year old band that was dormant for many years is the vocalist, and your style has changed that much from where you started, you can't even really consider it Exhorder anymore. They should definitely change their name.