What Are You Listening To?

khaos

5 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Count me as another person who's surprised to see you posting that Swans album. Love to see it. Have you listened to "Filth" yet?

I've sampled quite a few Swans albums over the years, don't remember all which ones specifically, he's got so many different albums. Marko's been touting them for years and years. I clicked on a few different ones yesterday then settled on this one because it was exactly what I was looking for. Turned out to be a really good album too. I'll try some more of his, come to think of it I might have actually clicked on Filth yesterday in my search for depressing post punk before settling on White Light. I find it virtually impossible to resist clicking on anything that has the word Filth in the title.

But today I'm stuck on The Underground Youth. That was my life changing discovery from yesterday, I simply can't get enough of these guys. They're not metal obviously, but when I'm not metalling or punking it up this is the kind of bleak subdued shit I go for. I could listen to this band all day.

The Underground Youth- Low Slow Needle

2 hours ago, markm said:

WTF? You might be running a fever. Interesting alum tho.

NP: Integrity-Howling for the Nightmare Shall Consume (2017) -forget all this retro NWOHM and bogus so called proto metal copycat stuff, many albums from which I, in fact own, if you want to find classic metal, the best stuff is imbedded in extreme metal of one form or another like this Integrity album.  

WP (was playing): Woe/Quietly, undramatically 

Was sick all last week with a cold but no fever. Sometimes I just like to slow it down and mellow out with some good quiet introspective depressing shit. I know some people have probably gotten the impression that I only do filth fury and brutality 24/7 and sometimes I do nothing but for weeks on end. I like my metal pretty extreme and filthy.

But the truth is I do also like a lot of non-metal stuff, and I usually go for pretty mellow stuff that's more laid back like this. I just can't get down with your typical commercial normie poseur metal, or metalcore, nu-metal, rap-rock, alt-rock, pop music, trendy shit like that just irritates me to no end. And of course prog and avant garde remain on the no-fly list. And with a small handful of exceptions I'm pretty well over most of the classic rock and 80's glam and mainstream stuff that I listened to 40-50 years ago. I wouldn't be able to sit and listen to an entire Ozzy or Maiden or Dio or WASP album at this point if you gave me $20. That stuff served its purpose back in the day, and I'm not casting aspersions on anyone who still digs that kind of stuff, but I've just moved on from there.

So now in my old age I'm revisiting some of this 80's and 90's stuff that I just wasn't open to hearing years ago because it sounded weak and effeminate to me. I suppose in retrospect maybe that attitude was a bit homophobic to be quite frank, but that's how I felt. But now over the last decade or so I might have grown up just a bit finally, and I've been able to set some of those prejudices aside. I've come to really enjoy some of this stuff that everyone's so surprised I would like, stuff that I never would have given the time of day to 30 or 40 years ago quite a bit.

And as far as Integrity is concerned, they were criminally underrated for so many years, it's good to see them finally get some recognition within metal circles the last 5 or 10 years. Howling was a bit of a comeback album for them in '17, showed the world they still have what it takes. Such a great band. Might have to break out of my Underground Youth trance here and jam some Integrity.

9 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Also not as ponderous and sprawling as Aosoth (Again, sorry. See above).

There is nothing wrong with ponderous and sprawling. Not offended, but I'm a bit of an Aosoth fanboy. I have two of their  - ironically white (a bit ponderously ironic I guess). -shirts.

And I've just been listening to some Underground Youth. New to me and now Thatguy approved. Thanks. GG.

NP: Calvana - III┼

III┼ | Calvana (bandcamp.com)

a0578789447_10.jpg

Weirdo Italians and their weirdo black metal. I was initially thinking it was going to be more dissonant in keeping with the times, but that only crops up occasionally. After that it's almost sparse and dry black metal that doesn't care about you or it's audience like some crazy old man ranting at full volume at the ceiling about the sleestacks and straightjackets for days on end.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But the truth is I do also like a lot of non-metal stuff, and I usually go for pretty mellow stuff that's more laid back like this.

If you find yourself in the mood for more, Love Of Life is right along the same lines as White Light, and The Great Annihilator is similar if a little slicker and less oddball. The first few are a lot more aggressive. 

If you're feeling really mellow you should check out the first two or three Angels Of Light albums, that was the more acoustic band Gira had for a few years after Swans broke up in the 90s. I saw them several times and they were awesome.

You might also dig DBUK. Similar vibe to Angels Of Light in spots, dark and quirky. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If you find yourself in the mood for more, Love of Life is right along the same lines as White Light, and The Great Annihilator is similar if a little slicker and less oddball. The first few are a lot more aggressive. 

If you're feeling really mellow you should check out the first two or three Angels of Light albums, that was the more acoustic band Gira had for a few years after Swans broke up in the 90s. I saw them several times and they were awesome.

You might also dig DBUK. Similar vibe to Angels of Light in spots, dark and quirky. 

Thanks man, I appreciate the recos. Yeah this kind of dark quiet stuff is great. I started with How I Loved You and it's exactly the kind of thing I look for, I just don't really know how or where to find this kind of stuff like I've learned how to find my filth. I usually either get stuff from Marko or just randomly stumble over it like I did with The Underground Youth last night. When I go outside of metal and punk I often like to go all the way out to mellow shit like this. I find stuff like this can be just as powerful as the brutal deathgrind and such, just in a different way. I guess I gravitate toward the extremes on both ends of the spectrum and eschew most of the normie "metal adjacent" shit in the middle. I'll definitey spin Love of Life after I figure out what I'm making for dinner here. Cheers!

21 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've listened to close to half of their albums over the last few days, but not in order or back to back or anything. I don't do full catalog runs for bands with that many albums, I'd get bored listening to just one band for two days straight. I'll jump around and listen to two or three at a time and then play some other stuff in between to break it up. 

And Also the Trees - The Klaxon, 1993 experimental UK post-punk.

The Underground Youth - Mademoiselle, Manchester born, Berlin based, 2010

Completely understandable!  I tend to do a full catalog run with Overkill most of the time, but I did listen to just "Necroshine" and "Bloodletting" last week, so I guess I can handle the shorter spurts as well.  

I'll probably break up this run with some Motorhead! 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Thanks man, I appreciate the recos. Yeah this kind of dark quiet stuff is great. I started with How I Loved You and it's exactly the kind of thing I look for, I just don't really know how or where to find this kind of stuff like I've learned how to find my filth. I usually either get stuff from Marko or just randomly stumble over it like I did with The Underground Youth last night. When I go outside of metal and punk I often like to go all the way out to mellow shit like this. I find stuff like this can be just as powerful as the brutal deathgrind and such, just in a different way. I guess I gravitate toward the extremes on both ends of the spectrum and eschew most of the normie "metal adjacent" shit in the middle. I'll definitey spin Love of Life after I figure out what I'm making for dinner here. Cheers!

I'll double down on F.A.'s Swan recos-those are all really good picks. I've also never heard of Underground Youth. Now say Sonic Youth and then we can talk. 

10 minutes ago, markm said:

I'll double down on F.A.'s Swan recos-those are all really good picks. I've also never heard of Underground Youth. Now say Sonic Youth and then we can talk. 

I don't hate Sonic Youth, but I'm not real enthusiastic about them either. I have Goo but I haven't played it in forever. I think I like the idea of Sonic Youth more than I actually enjoy their music. At the end of the day it's still pop music just muddied up a bit and you know how I feel about pop. Unless it's the Beatles. Underground Youth though is awesome if you like stripped down bare bones dark rock with hints of post punk and goth. I think my favorite album so far is Sadovaya. Always amazing to me how a band like this with all these albums under their belt could slip under my radar for 15 years the way they have.

Swans - Love of Liife, 1992

NP: Ingested - Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering

▶︎ Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering | Ingested | Unique Leader Records (bandcamp.com)

a2830417505_10.jpg

Wow. For a brutal/slam band whose first full length came in 2009 this album seemingly has a ton of defenders who regard this album as a classic. Every once in a while I'll go in for this type of thing. Devourment or Skinless are usually my go-to in that case. Weird I hadn't heard this one.

HammerFall - "Chapter V - Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken"

HammerFall - "Threshold"

HammerFall - "No Sacrifice, No Victory"

HammerFall - "Infected"

HammerFall - "(R)Evolution"

HammerFall - "Built to Last"

HammerFall - "Dominion"

HammerFall - "Hammer of Dawn"