What Are You Listening To?

khaos

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Kerry King's Slayer Mk II is terrible. Judging by the promo teaser Orca posted anyway. Every bit as rubbish as Arch Enemy or post-2000 Slayer. Don't think the addition of Loomis would be enough to save it.

Probably true. I couldn't help myself and listened to the KK ( not that KK) new promo yesterday morning.

It was inoffensive but nothing to grab onto. The choice for Death Angel guy to merely do a Tom Araya impression was odd.

Loomis is too virtuoso to work with Kerry. Even Hanneman wasn't a groundbreaking technical player by any measure...but those evil riffs. That was groundbreaking.

6 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Probably true. I couldn't help myself and listened to the KK ( not that KK) new promo yesterday morning.

It was inoffensive but nothing to grab onto. The choice for Death Angel guy to merely do a Tom Araya impression was odd.

Loomis is too virtuoso to work with Kerry. Even Hanneman wasn't a groundbreaking technical player by any measure...but those evil riffs. That was groundbreaking.

Not sure why it's odd. Kerry's said from day 1 that anything he writes is going to sound like Slayer, the song was written during the studio recording of the last album, and it's all he's done for 40 years. Whether people like the song or not it was always going to be Slayer 2.0.

52 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Not sure why it's odd. Kerry's said from day 1 that anything he writes is going to sound like Slayer, the song was written during the studio recording of the last album, and it's all he's done for 40 years. Whether people like the song or not it was always going to be Slayer 2.0.

Musically, sure. They're Slayery riffs. But to tell Mark to sound like Tom ( the front man Kerry resents for ending the band) is a bit of a smack in the mouth to a guy who's been in the game 30+ years.

22 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Musically, sure. They're Slayery riffs. But to tell Mark to sound like Tom ( the front man Kerry resents for ending the band) is a bit of a smack in the mouth to a guy who's been in the game 30+ years.

Mark has said that's not what happened. Kerry's also said that's not what happened. But hell I'll believe it because the interwebz said it

9 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Yeah it would be a weird combo but I'm just visualizing Loomis having to play fast all the time, while simplifying his riffs and still bringing that 7 string heaviness, and then melting faces with solos. He'd end up stealing the spotlight from KK, though... Loomis can still bring some evil sounding leads like he often did in Nevermore. A man can dream...

17 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Sepultura - Arise

My #1 Album of all time. I think what really makes it stand out is Igor Cavalera's drumming - constant insane hooks. 

16 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sonic Poison - Eruption, Finland

Nocturnal Sorcery - The Holy Law in Total Ruin, Finland 2022

I've been trying to find good new bands and this thread has tons of new stuff to check out (not enough time to check it all). I just find there's just too much unispired crap out there... Like that Nightprowler - Midnight sounded terrible... And the Nocturnal Sorcery ^^ I found boring as hell. Sure it has atmosphere, but how many more bands do we need that play the boring slow, 1 chord every 4 seconds style?

But that Sonic Poison album is definitely cool. One of the strangest mixtures of black metal + punk I've heard and strangely it totally works. Definitely a good listen. 

27 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....that VISION MASTER is quite interesting....like VOIVOD doing MEGADETH inspired power metal.....

Total left field discovery for me last year. I never listen to music podcasts, mostly current affairs type stuff, but I had a lot of long drives last year and found this show put out by New Hampshire public radio called Black Night Meditations. Dude plays a bit of every style of metal each week and had a track from this on a show and stated it was far and away his AOTY. So I had to check it out. Also found because of that an Aussie band called Spectre that is pretty cool. Name confusion worked to my advantage. 

Spectre - Lonesome Gambler

Bullet - "Heading for the Top"

Bullet - "Bite the Bullet"

Bullet - "Speeding in the Night" (EP)

Bullet - "Highway Pirates"

Bullet - "Full Pull"

My goodness, I hope these Swedish rockers put out a new album this year.  Last one was "Dust to Gold" in 2018.

5 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

UHL - Habitant Des Tempetes

.....WhiteNoise....this may be something you might check out....they have a fairly extensive catalogue....

Always up for some raw/melodic French black metal, but I'm still spending a lot of time time with your crusty death metal dudes Left Cross. Just didn't wanna post too much of it yet because it's too soon after you just posted all their releases and I didn't want to steal your thunder. Been wallowing in old Deviated Instinct lately as well, in the wake of their new EP I've been repeatedly consuming large amounts of their killer back catalogue. Love that band, shame they're a bit overlooked. And of course there's the new Negative Prayer record that has to get at least one spin every day if not more. Then on top of the various crusties I've been really heavily pounding a ton of Machetazo of late. I'd heard the band before in the past, but something of theirs hit me just right the other day and now I can't seem to get enough 'Tazo in my life. Not going to let the fact that they split up a decade ago deter me. And while I'm in Spain, that Avulsed record, Goresplattered Suicide, holy fucking shit. I'd bought Stabwound Orgasm some years back on a strong reco from a friend from the old Amazon board, and I dig it, but I guess I never bothered to check out any of their other stuff. I found out last week that Goresplattered is their superior album, it absolutely crushes and I've been playing the living shit out of it. So I guess what I'm saying is that here in icy cold February, smack dab in the middle of what's typically my 'black metal season' where I'd normally be having black metal pumped into my veins intravenously 24/7, all I seem to have been craving lately is crust and gnarly brutal death metal and deathgrind. I know at some point sooner or later this winter something will come along to act as the catalyst to get me back immersed in raw filthy black metal. But in the meantime all I seem to be craving these last couple of weeks is crust and death and grind.

NP: Looking For An Answer - Extinción, death/grind from Madrid 2008

14 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Mark has said that's not what happened. Kerry's also said that's not what happened. But hell I'll believe it because the interwebz said it

My opinion evolved from Kerry's comment:

"I saw Mark a few years back singing covers of MINOR THREAT and cameo in THE WEDDING BAND with members of METALLICA. It was different from what he does in DEATH ANGEL, and he sounded great. He's super versatile. He took steps to make this different than DEATH ANGEL. I don't touch on probably 50 percent of what he can do on the album."

I interpreted "took steps" as "make it sound like Tom" or at the very least Kerry chose him because he already sounded like Tom in the covers.

The irony is that the only Death Angel album I ever heard is Act III. I spin the LP every now and then. On that he does not sound like Tom Araya.

I thought I'd better check a recent DA album on YouTube for context and the few seconds I sampled sounded to me pretty similar vocally to the KK track anyway. It certainly sounds more Arayan than I remembered from the 30 year old album I knew.

So, my original point about it being a slap to Mark to ask him to sound like Tom is clearly wrong. It turns out he sounds like that anyway. But I still think he was chosen because he sounds like Tom so Kerry can keep it as close to the Slayer vocal delivery as possible.

I doubt he'd want to explicitly admit that though. He talks about the riffs being Slayer riffs and being unapologetic, but it's a step beyond that to choose a vocal clone.

Ironically, he said he'd rather have Rob Halford singing if Rob would do it. Whether it would have worked or not, at least that combination would have been something different. 

That's my take. I guess I just don't like cover bands much, which is why I'm not interested in seeing Priest live either.

5 hours ago, Innominate said:

Vitriol - Suffer & Become

I am loving this album immensely!  Hate Eternal is my favorite death metal band, and I hear a lot of their influence in this new slab from Vitriol.  This thing is crushing from beginning to end.

Kankar - Ascension

▶︎ Ascension | KANKAR (bandcamp.com)

a0547095779_10.jpg

Whew. I thought for sure this would have been another Amon Amarth clone. That's not the case here. I do have to say a lot of the material here actually stands on its own rather well. A little more Windir influenced and more professionally recorded than some people might like. I've always been of the mind that, even though we're still dealing with the hangover from all those blackened folk bands that we had a glut of a few years back, the Ensiferums and Forefathers of the world can be very enjoyable in smaller doses... Except for Forefather. They just rule. Still on occassion my patience can be tested with the more progressive side of folky black metal (let's say Summoning or Enslaved for the sake of the example). It all depends on how much else a band has going for them. If it's not only Scandinavian folkish chord progressions and has more to offer than just that I can be won over despite my misgivings. This album certainly works in that regard.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

My opinion evolved from Kerry's comment:

"I saw Mark a few years back singing covers of MINOR THREAT and cameo in THE WEDDING BAND with members of METALLICA. It was different from what he does in DEATH ANGEL, and he sounded great. He's super versatile. He took steps to make this different than DEATH ANGEL. I don't touch on probably 50 percent of what he can do on the album."

I interpreted "took steps" as "make it sound like Tom" or at the very least Kerry chose him because he already sounded like Tom in the covers.

The irony is that the only Death Angel album I ever heard is Act III. I spin the LP every now and then. On that he does not sound like Tom Araya.

I thought I'd better check a recent DA album on YouTube for context and the few seconds I sampled sounded to me pretty similar vocally to the KK track anyway. It certainly sounds more Arayan than I remembered from the 30 year old album I knew.

So, my original point about it being a slap to Mark to ask him to sound like Tom is clearly wrong. It turns out he sounds like that anyway. But I still think he was chosen because he sounds like Tom so Kerry can keep it as close to the Slayer vocal delivery as possible.

I doubt he'd want to explicitly admit that though. He talks about the riffs being Slayer riffs and being unapologetic, but it's a step beyond that to choose a vocal clone.

Ironically, he said he'd rather have Rob Halford singing if Rob would do it. Whether it would have worked or not, at least that combination would have been something different. 

That's my take. I guess I just don't like cover bands much, which is why I'm not interested in seeing Priest live either.

Next year's Kerry King, Priest, Pantera tour will be the biggest grossing of all time. Even bigger than last year's LoG Slipknot AV7X tour. They'll sell out 5 nights at the O2 Arena. The normies will wet themselves with excitement.