What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Saxon - "Hell, Fire & Damnation"

Finally, I've arrived at the end of this amazing catalog and listened twice through the brand new slab of metal from these legends.  Their 2022 release, "Carpe Diem", was fantastic, and this one is even better.  Biff just sounds incredible, and the riffs are heavy and memorable.  I cannot rave enough about these metal titans! 

Torch - "Dark Sinner"

I've had this album for a few years now but only listened to it once or twice.  I dusted it off this evening, and wow!  Straight-forward, no-frills, undiluted heavy metal!

NP: Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

▶︎ Omnipotence | Wicked Innocence | Burning Dogma Records (bandcamp.com)

a1251330680_10.jpg

Cool. Can't believe I hadn't heard this before. Guessing their relative lack of cult status is probably due to their first full length surfacing in '95. So just long enough after the advent of U.S. styled death metal for all the tropes to have been firmly in place and recognizable to a listener with any familiarity of the genre. Still has that authentic feel that Unique Leader or Razorback records lives on to this day. The slowdowns on these tracks are damn fine though. I'll probably run through the discography tonight I think.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

Cool. Can't believe I hadn't heard this before. Guessing their relative lack of kvlt status is probably due to their first full length surfacing in '95. So just long enough after the advent of U.S. styled death metal for all the tropes to have been firmly in place and recognizable to a listener with any familiarity of the genre. Still has that authentic feel that Unique Leader or Razorback records lives on to this day. The slowdowns on these tracks are damn fine though. I'll probably run through the discography tonight I think.

I've never heard of them, but I'll go out on a limb and assume that their lack of kvlt status is due to their name "Wicked Innocence" which anyone would logically assume is a spandex & hairspray type band. Cock rock. I'm just not ever gonna click on anything called Wicked Innocence.

1727718-p.jpg

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Saxon - "Hell, Fire & Damnation"

Finally, I've arrived at the end of this amazing catalog and listened twice through the brand new slab of metal from these legends.  Their 2022 release, "Carpe Diem", was fantastic, and this one is even better.  Biff just sounds incredible, and the riffs are heavy and memorable.  I cannot rave enough about these metal titans! 

C'mon dude get serious. Biff sounds like an old man, which of course he is. I'm literally embarrassed for him. Riffs in the opening title track were cool, but the next Guillotine track was really really bad. Then they settled into a super generic nondescript heavy metal formula for the next one which I've already forgotten. Roswell song was really bad too. Kubla Khan started out ok for a few seconds but then lost steam pretty fast and had a really lame chorus. How the mighty have fallen. I can't take anymore of this James, looks like this is one train-wreck I am going to have to tear myself away from. Guess the last 4 songs are just going to have to remain an eternal mystery to me. Oh wait, the next song has already started. Pirates of the Airwaves, are you fucking kidding me? What is this 1986? Giving Biff & Co. the hook now.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've never heard of them, but I'll go out on a limb and assume that their lack of kvlt status is due to their name "Wicked Innocence" which anyone would logically assume is a spandex & hairspray type band. Cock rock. I'm just not ever gonna click on anything called Wicked Innocence.

1727718-p.jpg

NP: Valgrind - Millenium of Night Blish

▶︎ Millennium of Night Bliss | VALGRIND (bandcamp.com)

a2254883207_10.jpg

Italian death metal with a few melodic flourishes to spice things up leading to an uncharacteristically bouncy rhythm section. Dudes have a few full lengths to their name and they've kept their energy up through the years it seems. Only bad thing about it I can really say is that cursive font at the bottom is an absolute eyesore. I'd take spikey and indecipherable any day over that. Good music though.

15 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Have never been able to tolerate Deicide, but I've been trying again recently with them. In the last few days I've listened to their first three albums, the S/T debut twice. Think I'm making some wee bit of headway, I'll no longer say I hate them, but I still think there are dozens if not hundreds of better death metal bands one could listen to in my estimation. Don't understand these people who'd put them among their top 3 death metal bands.

Same goes for Morbid Angel, although I've officially given up trying to get into them. Wasted far too many hours of my life listening to their records that I can't fucking stand. I've had to accept that they just don't do anything for me and they never will. Like I have with Pantera.

I wouldn't put Deicide in my top 3 Death Metal bands either.

Morbid Angel would, if only for the first 4 albums. Then I gave up on Formulas Fatal to the Flesh and the 4 studio albums that followed didn't excite me in the slightest.

If only for Leprosy, Death would be in my top 3. The other two bands would be complicated.

In fact, I'm attracted to certain Death Metal albums, but not the discography of the bands in question.

For example, I worship Atrocity's Todessensucht but that's the only album I can listen to. The same goes for Hate Eternal's Conquering the Throne, but after I Monarch my interest in the band diminished enormously.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I doubt it would be your kind of death metal, but it's a cool and relatively unique album. I'm surprised you haven't come across it before now. Jayke is a big fan.

Yeah Jayke likes a lot of things that I'm not interested in, like Vektor and DSO and Enslaved and all kinds of doom metal 'n stuff. And those guys all know what I like and what I don't. The Wicked ones have just never come up in convo and if they had I would've thought they were a hair metal band with that name. And look at this, they're from Salt Lake, he probably knows or has even played with some of them.

I went and had a little listen, they're like a twisted fucked up Demilich. I don't hate this, it's actually pretty good, but I'm not gonna go track it down and buy it.

Brutal Sacrifice - Bruxos De Gadara, Brazil 2006

Lamp of Murmur-Saturnian Bloodstorm

Fire in the Distance -Airs is not meant for us

Ahab-Coral Tombs- really digging into this one; I grabbed the CD, an example where physical media makes a difference as this is a fairly linear concept album about Jules Verne's nautical, sci fi classic, 20,000 leaves under the sea with lyrics that are laid out like chapters and the artwork depicting the scenes are amazing. It can be enjoyed without understanding the concept as I did on the first listen, but a quick Wikipedia review of the plot and sitting down with the lyrics really made this thing pop for me.  

Óreiða - The Eternal (2023)

This accompanied me for the first part of my walk out in the fields and forests earlier and was an excellent soundtrack. Also had it on for my hour of birdwatching and again it sat really well with my natural surroundings.  Grows in strength which each track that passes in my experience, the title track at the end is a banger.

Inquisition - Black Mass for a Mass Grave (2020)

Inspired by all the praise on the board for this I took this as the second part of my soundtrack on this afternoon's walk.  It's a definite grower from a band who musically haven't put a foot wrong since becoming orthodox black metal.  Rewards with repeat listens.

2 hours ago, Arioch said:

I wouldn't put Deicide in my top 3 Death Metal bands either.

Morbid Angel would, if only for the first 4 albums. Then I gave up on Formulas Fatal to the Flesh and the 4 studio albums that followed didn't excite me in the slightest.

If only for Leprosy, Death would be in my top 3. The other two bands would be complicated.

In fact, I'm attracted to certain Death Metal albums, but not the discography of the bands in question.

For example, I worship Atrocity's Todessensucht but that's the only album I can listen to. The same goes for Hate Eternal's Conquering the Throne, but after I Monarch my interest in the band diminished enormously.

Don't know who my top 5 death metal bands would be. But Deicide, Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal and Death are not on my list of candidates. I guess it'd be some of these bands:

Grave...The Chasm...Bolt Thrower...Cemetery Urn...Dead Congregation...Father Befouled...Incantation...Temple of Void...Funebrarum...Coffins...Undergang...Eternal Rot...Cerebral Rot...Cadaveric Incubator...Desecresy...Ignivomous...Fluids...Pharmacist...Cabinet...Grave Miasma...Cruciamentum...Lie in Ruins...Purtenance...Sorcery...Vomitory...Krypts...Imprecation...Ossuary...Of Feather and Bone...Phrenelith...Uttertomb...Grave Ritual...Necrot.....

NP: Ruinous - Graves of Ceaseless Death, New Jersey

20 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

1727718-p.jpg

C'mon dude get serious. Biff sounds like an old man, which of course he is. I'm literally embarrassed for him. Riffs in the opening title track were cool, but the next Guillotine track was really really bad. Then they settled into a super generic nondescript heavy metal formula for the next one which I've already forgotten. Roswell song was really bad too. Kubla Khan started out ok for a few seconds but then lost steam pretty fast and had a really lame chorus. How the mighty have fallen. I can't take anymore of this James, looks like this is one train-wreck I am going to have to tear myself away from. Guess the last 4 songs are just going to have to remain an eternal mystery to me. Oh wait, the next song has already started. Pirates of the Airwaves, are you fucking kidding me? What is this 1986? Giving Biff & Co. the hook now.

I had a feeling it might not be your cup of tea, Mr. GG!  That's perfectly okay!  I think Biff sounds as good - if not better - than he did all of those years ago when Saxon was a young band.  There isn't a single song that I don't thoroughly enjoy on this latest slab of tasty heavy metal - heavy, dark, and uncompromising.  The title track, "Fire and Steel", "There's Something in Roswell", and "Witches of Salem" are my favorites thus far, but the entire thing is just fantastic.  I enjoy "modern" Saxon (which, for me, goes all the way back to 1995's "Dogs of War") a great deal more than the classic stuff - not just because the beefier production gives the sound more bite to it, but because the songwriting is genuinely better, in my opinion.  

Your posts are always enjoyable to read, and I look forward to our interactions on here, so feel free to tell me why I'm living on another heavy metal planet with my controversial take stated above!  

Torch - "Reignited"

Swedish no-frills heavy metal band that apparently got started back in the early 1980's before my time but never really made it big.  They disbanded in 1986 before reuniting for some shows during stretches of 2013 and 2018.  This 2020 release is a comeback of epic proportions!  Rocks hard from beginning to end.  Highly recommended!