What Are You Listening To?

khaos

42 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Excellent choice!  My favorite death metal band never disappoints. 

I stopped at I, Monarch.
I found the sound of Fury and Flames really strange and the riffs much less catchy and memorable.

Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)

16 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I stopped at I, Monarch.
I found the sound of Fury and Flames really strange and the riffs much less catchy and memorable.

Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)

Oh, I see!  "Fury & Flames" is my favorite album from them, although I acknowledge that it took awhile for it to grow on me.  It was too chaotic for me in the beginning, but now it's at the top of my list.

Cattle Decapitation/Terrasite-giving this an official dedicated listen on my stereo with my  Audeze LCD-3 headphones, source: CD

Black Medium Current | Dodheimsgard 

Seven Crowns And Seven Seals-Apparently, I'm of minority view that the less aggressive, moodier production with an emphasis, in my view on subtlety, atmosphere and gothic metal stylings does wonders to set the mood for the Lovecraft story telling...I need to listen to their last album again. I concede it has less visceral impact but I think it may be more effective in creating the anxiety they were probably going for to create an uneasy feeling of horror. 

Saevus Finis - Facilis Descensus Averno

Facilis Descensus Averno | SAEVUS FINIS | Saevus Finis (bandcamp.com)

a3545203668_10.jpg

Well 2024 wasted no time in producing some quality chaotic atonal death metal. It actually reminds me a lot of the Outergods album from last year. Lost of rusty scraping and very little to latch onto for the more melodically inclined. I like it. It's a buy from me.

Discarnation - Demo 2023,  caverncore Belgium

Urfaust - Compilation of Intoxications, 2021 bunch of tracks from splits and singles 'n' stuff. I guess this is considered avant-garde black metal. I'm not generally an avant-garde guy, but this isn't weird or anything, it's just "out of the ordinary" so I'm cool with it. I'm actually quite infatuated with this band of late and find myself trying various different albums in the mornings. Definitely a morning band.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Saevus Finis - Facilis Descensus Averno

Well 2024 wasted no time in producing some quality chaotic atonal death metal. It actually reminds me a lot of the Outergods album from last year. Lost of rusty scraping and very little to latch onto for the more melodically inclined. I like it. It's a buy from me.

Thank you for the disclaimer Cab, now I won't waste my time on them.

I've been listening to some of the late 2023 picks from my pals at Nine Circles:

Sermon/Golden Verses-This progressive metal album with HIM on vocals is growing on me and should appeal to fans (like me) outside of strict prog fandom with alternative, doom and gothic sensibilities

Rannoch-Conflagrations-Progressive Death Metal

Lunar Chamber - Shambhallic Vibrations-more prog death, this time with like transcendent type Buddhist themes...

12 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

What do you think of this one? I'm really proud of that cover painting... and I think they did a great job on the music too :) Apparently that album and cover are getting a spot in Heavy Music Artwork's 2023 book, which is super cool. 

You did the cover? I should have known. It's got your stamp all over it. It's thought provoking, intriguing and sick! I need to give it another listen. It's definitely a good prog death album, not 100% my zone for progdeth, but some very compelling tangents. One listen in, a lot of layers to unpack for sure. 

Rannoch - Conflagrations, UK band, just says from "the midlands." Alright let's give this a shot. It's not hopelessly, eye-rollingly, off-puttingly progressive, just has some slow mellow parts and "interludes" interspersed. And they all have too many strings on their guitars. But the music's not bad. Deffo not the kind of thing I'd normally be looking for on a Saturday arvo, the drum sounds and guitar tones here are not something I'm really happy with, scrubbed clean, there's no filth in sight. But I've heard much worse. It's reasonably serviceable modern death metal that keeps the aggression level fairly high throughout, and fortunately doesn't veer too hard into tech territory, which of course would be an automatic deal breaker. Best thing about it's the cover art though. And I do like the word conflagration.

1 hour ago, markm said:

You did the cover? I should have known. It's got your stamp all over it. It's thought provoking, intriguing and sick! I need to give it another listen. It's defi

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

What do you think of this one? I'm really proud of that cover painting... and I think they did a great job on the music too :) Apparently that album and cover are getting a spot in Heavy Music Artwork's 2023 book, which is super cool. 

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

nitely a good prog death album, not 100

% my zone for progdeth, but some very compelling tangents. One listen in, a lot of layers to unpack for sure. 

And congrats on the success of your album cover.art!