What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

DEARTH - To Crown All Befoulment. No pianer at all.

No dearth of befoulment here. I must've missed this one last February. Not bad at all, but I'm not in the mood for this atm Chocka Doc, (how do ya like my rhyming slang?) I'll have to finish this another time because I've been smitten with the new Raspberry Bulbs album Marko posted earlier. I've played it 3 times already so far today. Nothing like a tasty pink punk album to completely derail my list making efforts.

I've also found myself inexplicably fixated on that stupid trancelike Urfaust album Untergang I posted Wednesday night. I've probably played that one 20 more times since then, I just can't stop myself from clicking play on it again and again. Looks like I'm not only gonna have to get it onto my list, I think I might even have to make room for it in my top 10.

And I wanted to just let it go, I really did. But I have to ask, what's the point of putting an R on the end of piano? Everyone knows Aussies drop their R's when they come after vowels and at the end of words or syllables. I think you drop most of the other R's as well unless the word starts with R and there's no way around pronouncing it.

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Chocka Doc

Yeah, but we would say 'chockers' in this context.

43 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And I wanted to just let it go, I really did. But I have to ask, what's the point of putting an R on the end of piano?

It's not to make an 'r' sound - that would be silly. It is to make an 'uh' sound so that it rhymes with goanna

Yeah, but we would say 'chockers' in this context.

It's not to make an 'r' sound - that would be silly. It is to make an 'uh' sound so that it rhymes with goanna

But how does the R get you any closer to an "uh" sound? Just say the "uh" sound like you normally would, or spell it pianuh or piannah. There's no need for an R unless you want the reader to make an R sound. Putting an R on it to make an "uh" sound is just as dumb as when you guys insist on inserting an R into ass to make it "arse" but then you still don't make an R sound anyway. This is why the Yanks had to fix your language for yiz because Australian English vernacular while undeniably loads of fun, doesn't really make any damn sense.

And there is no context in rhyming slang, the whole point is just to make it rhyme. So it's Chocka Doc, as in chocka-block. See how that rhymes? If you put an ER on the end then it doesn't rhyme anymore. That shit might fly down at the rubbidy dub in Woollagong-gang, but it ain't even gonna move the needle over here.

NP: Ebola - Distorted Romance, depressive/experimental black metal from Japan. I'll call it a blend of black metal and post punk. Not a purchase, but it's kinda cool.

47 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But how does the R get you any closer to an "uh" sound? Just say the "uh" sound like you normally would, or spell it pianuh or piannah. There's no need for an R unless you want the reader to make an R sound. Putting an R on it to make an "uh" sound is just as dumb as when you guys insist on inserting an R into ass to make it "arse" but then you still don't make an R sound anyway.

I don't make the rules. That's just the way it is.

26 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

When I went to school someone who was chocka was chock a block full of shit.

I wouldn't dare suggest the Doc is FOS but he is the one making up his own rhyming slang.

I'd say that you are impersonating an Australian but then I remember two things. Firstly, you are a Victorian, and secondly nothing you say is meant to be taken as actually what you think.

I'd say that you are impersonating an Australian but then I remember two things. Firstly, you are a Victorian, and secondly nothing you say is meant to be taken as actually what you think.

So you are saying that I should suggest you're full of shit?

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Nehëmah - Shadows From the Past (2003)

That one, and Light of a Dead Star from the year before are two of the greatest black metal albums ever made. Definitely some the best French black metal you'll ever hear.

10 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

So you are saying that I should suggest you're full of shit?

Sounds like he's suggesting Victorians are full of shit.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bollocks.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Firstly, you are a Victorian.

So are you suggesting Victorians are....? (in addition to being full of shit obviously) Because I was under the impression that those Queensland banana bender blokes were the ones every Australian collectively feels they have the right to look down on. So what is it about Victorians? Or would you have the same smug superior elitist attitude towards Aussies from all states outside of the ACT?

Funny I just remembered my M-i-L dropped me a Chrissie postcard to inform me that she had moved (shifted I believe your mob likes to say) from Castle Hill up to the Gold Coast, I assume to be by her sister. So now I can call her a banana bender if I ever have occasion to talk to her again. What I want to know is why would Kiwis leave Aotearoa to live in Australia in the first place? It's so much nicer in NZ.

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

FIRE MESSIAH - Calamity

......WhiteNoise....sometimes you surprise me....so you may very well like this....it's one of my favourites from this past year....

....if you do like it, then you need to revisit HAIL SPIRIT NOIR and give them a chance.....

....and yes, I did buy the cassette....

You've remembered that that HSN occupies a special place in my black heart. Not many bands (percentage-wise) I'd go so far as to say I hate, but HSN would definitely be one of them. Not them personally, but I hate what they do. The weirdness doesn't add anything to me, it takes away from my enjoyment of the music. But I have not heard anything from them in quite awhile, several years perhaps as I make a point to avoid their stuff. But yet I'm loving this Fire Messiah, loving it a lot. So maybe today's the day to revisit HSN. Which of their albums would you recommend I start with? Not sure which one it was that put me off them to begin with, I suspect it was Murder in Blue or maybe it could've been Oi Magoi. Dissonance I'm having is that this Fire Messiah doesn't sound anything in the ball park of what I remember HSN sounding like, so now I'm particularly curious to refresh my memory on the mighty HSN which I remember was on all the who's who of year end lists that year, 2016 I believe it was.

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR - Eden In Reverse, this is their highest rated album on M-A so I'll try this one. Have to make the kid a sandwich first though, he's siting here begging me for a turkey sandwich. First impression is it's not nearly as bad as I remember. The album I remember hearing was way weirder than this. This is still weird, but they've reined it in a bit. Was their really weird album just a one-off? This really isn't so horrible so far, except for these insufferable clean vox, they're gonna be the main problem I think. Sounds like he's doing his best clean Åkerfeldt impression. I'll start it from the beginning again and listen closer when I get back from the kitchen.

31 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You've remembered that that HSN occupies a special place in my black heart. Not many bands (percentage-wise) I'd go so far as to say I hate, but HSN would definitely be one of them. Not them personally, but I hate what they do. The weirdness doesn't add anything to me, it takes away from my enjoyment of the music. But I have not heard anything from them in quite awhile, several years perhaps as I make a point to avoid their stuff. But yet I'm loving this Fire Messiah, loving it a lot. So maybe today's the day to revisit HSN. Which of their albums would you recommend I start with? Not sure which one it was that put me off them to begin with, I suspect it was Murder in Blue or maybe it could've been Oi Magoi. Dissonance I'm having is that this Fire Messiah doesn't sound anything in the ball park of what I remember HSN sounding like, so now I'm particularly curious to refresh my memory on the mighty HSN which I remember was on all the who's who of year end lists that year, 2016 I believe it was.

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR - Eden In Reverse, this is their highest rated album on M-A so I'll try this one. Have to make the kid a sandwich first though, he's siting here begging me for a turkey sandwich. First impression is it's not nearly as bad as I remember. The album I remember hearing was way weirder than this. This is still weird, but they've reined it in a bit. Was their really weird album just a one-off? This really isn't so horrible so far, except for these insufferable clean vox, they're gonna be the main problem I think. Sounds like he's doing his best clean Åkerfeldt impression. I'll start it from the beginning again and listen closer when I get back from the kitchen.

....Mayhem In Blue is probably the one you're thinking of....

...that is actually my favourite of theirs....they're not for everyone, I suppose....

....maybe this is more to your liking....

SVDESTADA - Candela

....just bought both vinyls of this.....that's 22 records bought already this year....wtf?

6 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....Mayhem In Blue is probably the one you're thinking of....

...that is actually my favourite of theirs....they're not for everyone, I suppose....

....maybe this is more to your liking....

SVDESTADA - Candela

....just bought both vinyls of this.....that's 22 records bought already this year....wtf?

This Eden in Reverse album is frustrating because I'm cool with the music, don't even have a problem with the electronics. But these cleans are a real struggle for me in spots. Getting heavy Oranssi Pazuzu vibes off of this one, and Opeth as if the two had collaborated on an album together. I remember Murder in Blue as being sillier, more frivolous. Just weird for the sake of being weird. This one's a good album, I won't turn it off because I am enjoying it on some level, just with major caveats for the vocals. Funny I always vaguely thought they were French, and now today I realize they're Greeks. Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to chop them from my bands I hate list, but I'm probably not going to make a HSN back patch the centerpiece of my battle vest, ya know?

My musical problem this week has been two-fold. Firstly, I was going through old posts from last Spring and I stumbled over your Terror Cross post I must've missed from April I think. Mere words cannot express how much I love this band. In particular their 2022 album of re-recorded songs, Skull Metal Armageddon, is absolute perfection to my ears. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to it over the last few days. I'm completely infatuated with them, one of those bands where I think "Man if I had a band I'd want it to sound exactly like this." One might call them black/thrash/punk but they're crust or I guess blackened crust to me. Thrashy blackened crust, that's it. So you'll never have to twist my arm to get me to listen to blackened neocrust recos, my eyes get wide when I read that's the genre. When I get in one of my crusty moods I'll have weeks or even sometimes an entire fortnight where I just want filthy blackened crust, death/crust, crust/grind, stenchcore, neocrust and more crust.

Secondly, I rediscovered my Urfaust albums this week. I've been playing the shit out of them over and over ever since, especially their last two albums. Fucking amazing, they're just magnificent. Don't quite know what to say about them or even how to describe them, but I will be needing to get more Urfaust in my life.

19596_photo.jpg?3057

I also had in mind today to run the whole Raspberry Bulbs catalogue because I enjoyed their new one so much three times yesterday. And I'll need to go back to that Fire Messiah again as well because I've already forgotten what they sounded like, but I know I really liked it. I'll probably have to add Svdestada to my playlist as well now, I'm sure they'll be predictably just as awesome as I suspect they're gonna be.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sounds like he's suggesting Victorians are full of shit.

We are but he is the one who chose to live in the Capital of bullshit.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So are you suggesting Victorians are....? (in addition to being full of shit obviously) Because I was under the impression that those Queensland banana bender blokes were the ones every Australian collectively feels they have the right to look down on. So what is it about Victorians? Or would you have the same smug superior elitist attitude towards Aussies from all states outside of the ACT?

We are Mexican's because in NSW they've never come with anything original in their lives. Canberra was only created for people who couldn't decide whether they wanted to be from NSW or Victoria. The only people who chose to live there are politicians and people who act like politicians. QLD's bottom half is full of Victorians, Canberrans and New South Welshmen who have escaped their home state for the promise of warmer weather, more chicks in bikinis waking the streets and the ability to whinge about tourists coming to their adopted state and ruining things. That leaves NSW which is the most stuck up and nose to the air state in the country. They want to be American, they act American and they look down on the rest of us because they know they better than the rest of us. They want a 24 hour capital like Paris or New York. They want the rest of the world to think they are the standard to be measured by. If they were to secede from the rest of the country we'd let them, unlike WA who we decided couldn't secede until we took as much of their mining money as Canberra deserved.