What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Horyn - Голоси моїх зневірених думок

▶︎ Голоси моїх зневірених думок | Horyn | Горинь (bandcamp.com)

a3270194826_10.jpg

Hmmm. This is interesting. You can definitely feel the musical resolve here. I'm only a few tracks in, but so far it feels like they're using the strong bass work as the lead. It still checks the black metal boxes for me. If the really crystalline bass is how they intend to forge their identity as a band this is definitely a study on how to go about it. I wouldn't be surprised if at some future point these guys drop a monster of an album if they continue to move in this direction. Speculation aside, though, I can for sure enjoy this for what it is.

OK, finally getting around to listening to more 2023 metal I've missed. Gotta get me my 2023 heavy music rotation. Over the years, I find myself listening to more non metal and listening to more heavy music outside of trad boundaries and less interested in the new release rat race. But, I'll pen my thoughts on the albums as I listen to them. 

Vastum/Inward to Gethsemane-I've been a fan of these nasties since their debut, Carnal Law in 2011. The new one isn't quite getting me yet, but it usually takes a couple of listens before I can make a final judgement. I like their doomier, punkier early sound a bit more, but this is definitely solid OSDM. I want to like this more than I actually do. 

Phobocosm-Foreordained-I came in on their last effort, Bringer of Drought, which to my ears had more of a Neurosis influence. Foreordained is pure caverncore but done really well. Dank and nasty with some great riff craft under the hood. This one's a keeper. Dark and HAF.

Ken Mode-Been following these guys for a long time, as a fan of abrasive, left of center noise/sludge/hardcore, etc. Companion piece to last years Null which was super aggro as Marko would say. So this one is interesting as it brings in a bunch of different textures like post punk, alternative and goth along with a little post metal to their pissed off Canuck noise/sludge. I'm getting a post hardcore grunge 90's kind of feel. Some Fugazi. Noise artists have really got a thing going these days for loud-not quite metal heavy albums and this one is great. 

Panopticon/Rime of Memory- Scratch everything I said about this album a few days ago-LOL. He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me. Like I said, I need a few listens. I've never been like super into Panopticon. I think I like the idea of what Lunn does more than what he actually does. The fusing of Americana, babbling brook and USBM sounds pretty intriguing, but in execution his albums oft fall short for me-with great ideas and creativity but in desperate need of an editor. 

At first, I missed the folksy Appalachian influence and Rime felt generic, but after a couple of listens, I'm very much digging this. For one thing, it focusses more on actual black metal very much in the atmoblack vein of BAN, Mare Cognetium, etc. No doubt it's long, but for now, this sucker holds together well. It's big and epic and I'm digging it with touches of the Appalachia Lunn schtick along with big cinematic,  atmoblack -soaring post rock, choruses and all that foo foo pretty sounding shit I kin to. 

Auriferous Flame/ Ardor For Black Mastery-I see this on a number of lists. So, this is the guy behind Mystras and Spectral Lore, two bands I've spent time with-it's got his stamp for sure.  This dude definitely has a compelling sound. Need to come back to this one. Maybe a little too straighforeward.

Dodheimsgard/Black Medium Current-Well somehow I missed this band when investigating experimental avant-garde black metal, maybe it's their name-any one of a number of Nordic/Ikea Scando sounding bands with names that start with Dod that I can' pronounce....anhoo,  seems they're darlings of that arty BM crowd. Actually, this is a beautiful sounding record with all kinds of influences. I'm hearing a range of familiar sounds like Sigh, Arcturus, and last year's popular progfest,  Dordeduh/Har. I'd say this veers more towards prog and less so avant as it's really not that "weird". Sort of all over the map and then the odd Romantic era classical piano....color me intrigued...even some traditional second wave influence but not really in the foreground. I'll probably pick this one up. 

Now playing a few tracks from Hellripper/Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags Cruciamentum – Obsidian Refractions. Enjoyable enough for what they are but not feeling like contenders for me, I don't think. I can see Dead maybe liking Hellripper if he doesn't think it's too thin and gutless and lacking bottom end. 

More to come as I ramp up to the new year. 

3 minutes ago, markm said:

Dodheimsgard/Black Medium Current-

Of course Thatguy likes this album, but they were so much better live. Blistering BM from the first notes and when they went arty, yer man warned us that 'this is a boring bit.'

PERISHED - Seid. Pretty good, but the flute...and the hoppity-diddly folk rhythms. Just the nasty bits please guys.

LANAYAH - I'm Picking Lights in a Field