What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Ἀντιτιμωρουμένη

Ὁπλίτης

I've just spent 10 minutes farting about trying to get the Greek script up and all I wanted to say was that this is better than what I listened to yesterday, but at first listen maybe not as entertaining as his last two. Oh, and fuck this guy with a rough stick for being Chinese and having nothing but Greek on his Bandcamp. The Greek could be saying 'fuck you for taking this seriously, barbarian' for all I know.
more...
             rhttps://hoplites.bandcamp.com/

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Ἀντιτιμωρουμένη

Ὁπλίτης

I've just spent 10 minutes farting about trying to get the Greek script up and all I wanted to say was that this is better than what I listened to yesterday, but at first listen maybe not as entertaining as his last two. Oh, and fuck this guy with a rough stick for being Chinese and having nothing but Greek on his Bandcamp. The Greek could be saying 'fuck you for taking this seriously, barbarian' for all I know.
more...
             rhttps://hoplites.bandcamp.com/

Good lord. That's that dudes third full length this year. Homie needs to ease up on the amphetamines... Then again I guess heroin was Mustaine's drug of choice and going purely by his music, that's not what I would have guessed. Never did it myself, but I had friends who had a hell of a time kicking the stuff. Those withdrawals are real, and can actually kill. I don't know how you play an album like KiMB on that shit for real.

NP: Cryptic Scream - Death and Damnation

▶︎ Death & Damnation | Cryptic Scream | Digipus Music (bandcamp.com)

a0357928675_10.jpg

I couldn't exactly say why, since they occupy such a completely different sonic space, but I was picking up some serious Anaal Nathrakh vibes from this. So much so that I was checking the members page for electronic elements that couldn't technically be "played" live, and found no such thing. They make a hell of a racket, though.

Also, the phrase "Don’t expect sing a long flower power tunes, or catchy hooks" is funny to me for some reason. I mean, I wasn't going to compare this to Malvina Reynolds, but now I might.

Accuser - "Dependent Domination"

Accuser - "Diabolic"

I enjoy the output from Tankard from time to time, but if it was up to me, I'd put Accuser in the Big 4 of German thrash, along with Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction.  Exumer would also have to get an honorable mention.  It's been awhile since I've delved into the entire Accuser catalog (I've recently stuck with the more modern albums), but I'll be listening through all 12 albums this weekend.  They're one of the few thrash bands who didn't go completely off the rails in the mid 90's and completely abandon the pure thrash sound.  Their releases in 1994 and 1995, respectively, certainly had more of a groove to the sound, but the thrash intensity is still very much there.  Really enjoying the catalog!

7 minutes ago, Kristiko said:

Dream Theater - Train of Thought (album)

My favorite Dream Theater album, and it's their heaviest.  Whatever frame of mind they were in back in 2003 when this was released was something different from any other recording, and on the year of its 20th anniversary, it's still a powerful listen.  There's a level of aggression here that isn't seen - or at least not for a full album - in the rest of their catalog.  I love Dream Theater and revisit this one often!

Yeah, I agree, the riffs and drumming are just pummeling. Probably the closest they ever came to some sort of modern metal sound with down-tuned guitars. I liked this album since high school when I found out about them. I can't even remember how many times I was listening to this album, along with "Six Degrees..." and the rest of the catalog.

5 hours ago, JamesT said:

Accuser - "Diabolic"

I enjoy the output from Tankard from time to time, but if it was up to me, I'd put Accuser in the Big 4 of German thrash, along with Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction.  Exumer would also have to get an honorable mention.  It's been awhile since I've delved into the entire Accuser catalog (I've recently stuck with the more modern albums), but I'll be listening through all 12 albums this weekend.  They're one of the few thrash bands who didn't go completely off the rails in the mid 90's and completely abandon the pure thrash sound.  Their releases in 1994 and 1995, respectively, certainly had more of a groove to the sound, but the thrash intensity is still very much there.  Really enjoying the catalog!

I'd be cool with that. The prestige value of some of the Euro-thrash does take a beating in the 90's. I'd be more inclined to go with Coroner, myself if it absolutely has to be four.

NP: Dinenthal - The Skirl of the Tyne

▶︎ The Skirl of the Tyne | Dinenthal | Dwarrowdelf Records (bandcamp.com)

a1209099927_10.jpg

Seems like this dude's been busy. I see no drummer which is worrying, and the folky flavor isn't really there outside of a spare keyboard melody or so. Still, the man's been shelling out quality material with remarkable consistency. By my count he has seven full lengths in about five years. Shows some tenacity and dedication to keep howling into the void like that. Dude pretty clearly believes in what he does, and there's no shame in that.

7 hours ago, JamesT said:

Accuser - "Diabolic"

I'd be more inclined to dump Destruction for Accuser. Not sure what it is with Destruction but while I've liked some songs I've never enjoyed a full album. Plenty of people on other forums I've been on rank any of Destruction's first four albums as classics and top tier albums but I just never found them that great. I remember thinking at the time of release that Diabolical had some reasonable stuff on it but it's ultimately been forgettable for me because I can't remember it now.

On the other hand I've always liked the fun and silliness of Tankard so I'd always rate them in the Teutonic Thrash 4

Left Cross - Upon Desecrated Altars, Richmond VA, wasn't gonna click but it turned out to be pretty good

Ecocide - Metamorphosis, Dutch death, not bad, vocals somewhere between Tardy and Speckmann

Vastum - Inward to Gethsemane, SFCA, a band you can safely buy on name alone

4 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I'd be cool with that. The prestige value of some of the Euro-thrash does take a beating in the 90's. I'd be more inclined to go with Coroner, myself if it absolutely has to be four.

They're from Switzerland. Who do share a border with Germany but I probably wouldn't put them in the big 4 of German thrash. I'd consider them the best European thrash band of all time though, by a country mile.

20 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Left Cross - Upon Desecrated Altars, Richmond VA, wasn't gonna click but it turned out to be pretty good

Ecocide - Metamorphosis, Dutch death, not bad, vocals somewhere between Tardy and Speckmann

Vastum - Inward to Gethsemane, SFCA, a band you can safely buy on name alone

They're from Switzerland. Who do share a border with Germany but I probably wouldn't put them in the big 4 of German thrash. I'd consider them the best European thrash band of all time though, by a country mile.

I’ll second this, but for me there’s a little competition from Artillery.

NP: Impetuous Ritual - Blight Upon Martyred Sentience

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

King Crimson - Red

Every time I see this album and their other classics come up I'm reminded that I really should do a deep dive on their whole catalogue, but then I remember the times I've tried before and just what a weird mess their discography is (with the obvious exception album that I'm pretty sure everyone's heard by now). Even more so I'd say than most of their peers like Camel or Hawkwind. I kind of dislike recommending compilations and 'best-of's because I feel like there really ought to be more outright uncontested in their greatness albums for such a formative force on the musical landscape. Ah well.

NP: Night in Gales - The Black Stream

▶︎ The Black Stream | Night in Gales (bandcamp.com)

a3161533815_10.jpg

Still going strong after all these years. I'd be very curious to hear their nineties material. May have to search that one since bandcamp seems to only have a few of their later albums. You kind of have to wonder how the members feel about the era in metal where melodeath and the Gothenburg sound was largely carving it's way through the scene via tape-trading. Since this album is apparently new from this year, I'd think they'd be in the camp of melodeath having left them rather than them leaving melodeath. It's kind of surprising how few and far between it's Gothenburgisms rear up. This album is very easy flowing with a greater emphasis on building it's melodies on a bed of tremolo choruses and sustaining their length with underpinned key changes than anything. It's a sustain over point sort of thing, but it works, and I'm glad I found them.

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Start at the beginning and end at the end.

To quote Rusty Venture " Oh no. You're not ready to step into the court of the crimson king just yet. At this stage an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist."

NP: Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya

▶︎ Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya | Thy Darkened Shade (bandcamp.com)

a1313580834_10.jpg

Good stuff. Opening track had me a bit worried they were going to fill out the whole thing with choral parts, but it got much more direct after that. The riffing is very nice and distinct. Bit early to tell, but I'm getting the feeling this could stand up to repeat listens, which is always nice.