What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Dismal Aura - Imperium Mortalia

https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/imperium-mortalia

a2621507804_10.jpg

Pretty good. They bill themselves as black metal, which I can appreciate given the genre name salad that can result from trying to acknowledge every influence that goes into things like this, but for clarity's sake it should be noted that there's more than just black here. It hits right between Behemoth's early black metal days and the uber-produced death metal they do now. Neither side is executed poorly, and the more orthodox second wave bm touches really help keep things robust.

Ritual Carnage - I, Infidel (2005)

With their last two albums, Ritual Carnage are still just as virulent in their tempi as on Every Nerve Alive, but the vocals really spoil the experience and the pleasure of listening to them. The vocals are no longer snarling, and the impact of the tracks is diminished.

The vocals are hard to take on I, Infidel! I want to vomit, vomit !

NP:  King Ov Wyrms - The Womb Ov Borealis

https://kingovwyrms.bandcamp.com/album/the-womb-ov-borealis

a1941268615_10.jpg

Unsigned two-manj group out of Tuscon. It takes a track or two to get going, but when it does, it rewards the listener with a chewy riff style and little patience for buildup. The vocalist is capable of both a decent low and high growl. The drumming is not programmed and has a nice organic sound. Bass drum could be a little higher in the mix, but it's not much of a detriment to the songs overall. I could see this as a very strong opening band for a larger tour, and that is by no means a negative. The kind of thing where you'd show up not knowing who these guys were and then becomes a highlight for the evening.

8 hours ago, Arioch said:

With their last two albums, Ritual Carnage are still just as virulent in their tempo as on Every Nerve Alive, but the vocals really spoil the experience and the pleasure of listening to them. The vocals are no longer snarling, and the impact of the tracks is diminished.

The vocals are hard to take on I, Infidel! I want to vomit, vomit !

That's right mon mec, nothing can ruin an otherwise decent album faster than some shit ass vocals. Sad end for the once mighty makers of genre classic The Highest Law.

Fortunately for me the cooler weather this week has ushered in black metal season. Always lots of snarling vocals.

Hagatiz - Cursed to the Night, Germany

Sorathian Dawn - Radiant Terror, Sydney NSW. Good, but I'm not sure this one would be in the running for a purchase. Still it's always interesting to hear the Aussie take on black metal. Which reminds me, where the hell's Doc? Did he say he was going down to mum's in Hobart again or something?

NP: Cirith Ungol - Dark Parade

https://cirithungol.bandcamp.com/album/dark-parade

a1053778553_10.jpg

Words cannot describe how much I hate this album cover. Seriously Metalblade? It's made worse by being attached to one of the greatest metal bands in existence. I understand they're going for that hyperactive teenager doodling in his notebook feel, but if you're going to go that route you absolutely cannot gloss it up with computers and smooth out the rougher edges in a way that's immediately visible to the naked eye. It looks like some first year graphic design student ran a Golden Axe character through some basic anti aliasing, made it look as flat, ugly, and grey as humanly possible, pasted on the logo and called it good. There are part-time youtubers who can create better depth of field than this in their thumbnails. Who looks at this and thinks it's worthy of a legendary metal band? The composition is utter dogshit, and they pretty clearly barely even thought about that background. What a disgrace... and yes, I am unreasonably angry about this.

That cover is total crap indeed!

Death Angel - Killing Season

Not a thrash album but a superb album indeed.  Combo's up Death Angel circa 1991's superb Act III with some more modern leanings (think Bush era Anthrax) and hits hard in terms of both performance and song writing.

NP: Permutation - Transience

https://permutationmetal.bandcamp.com/album/transience

a0454458134_10.jpg

Been running into a lot of melodic death and black metal today for some reason. This one takes the blue ribbon of that batch for sure. Production's fairly modern, but otherwise I've only got praise. Focused and well executed black/death. The highlight of the tracks so far is "We Shall Serve" which leads in with straight acoustic guitars without slowing down at all. It always bothered me a little bit that it's so commonplace for acoustic instruments to signify a slowdown in the song, and fall back to single note plucking. That track in particular doesn't give up tempo for the acoustics in use and it works remarkably well. Serves as a good head turner in the middle of the album where many albums start to suffer from back end bloat.

EDIT: Okay so one of the tracks is called "Trapped In Snugness" which hits maybe not the way they intended. Still made me laugh though.

Edited by Nasty_Cabbage
Added commentary.