What Are You Listening To?

khaos

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hehe, I went away to college for a year, it was fucking stupid. I'm from NY and I ended up in South Carolina at USC because they sent me an unsolicited letter informing me that if I would like to apply there they'd be happy to accept me. This was over the summer before my senior year of HS had even started and I thought that could be cool cuz it would take the pressure off me to perform my senior year. So when the school year started I immediately dropped physics and calculus since I no longer needed the credits, and I had some fun my senior year.

So then in August mom & dad dropped me off down there in Columbia for freshman orientation on my 18th birthday. And when classes started the following Monday I quickly discovered these southern kids were way behind. All my required freshmen classes were essentially repeats of everything I'd learned 3 or 4 years earlier in 9th & 10th grade when I was 14-15. So being away from home without any adult supervision for the first time I kinda stopped going to classes because I knew I could pass all the tests 'n shit in my sleep or bang out an essay or whatever without having to try too hard. But my roomates who were two high school buddies from Charleston, and Juniors, partied pretty hard. Somehow they'd always manage to get up for their 8am classes, but I fucking didn't. No, not the Yankee, I'd sleep til noon miss all my classes and get up just in time to start smoking and drinking again. Yes I'm the classic underachiever. 

USC had a freshman only attendance rule, miss 10 classes and you're out, you flunk. So once I'd missed at least 10 of each of my classes I dropped any pretense I'd had of being a student. Was a lot of fun too (southern girls are fucking hot, and they seemed to think my being from NY was a big deal) until I had to go home for Christmas and explain this all to my dad. Went back for a 2nd semester did the same shit again so USC Business School invited me not to return for my sophomore year. My poor dad had had everything all planned out for me, I was gonna get my MBA in 5 years then go to law school and be a savage cut-throat scumbag corporate lawyer and rake in the dough. Obviously I was not too keen on his plan, who the fuck would want to be one of these high powered corporate lawyers working 80 hours a week with all that stress? Not fucking I. So my flunking out my first year kinda threw a monkey wrench into those well laid plans.

The only thing that saved him from killing me was school was cheap back then in '79-'80. I think tuition was only like $1,100 or $1,200 a semester for out of state students and like $750 or something dirt cheap for in state students. Not like in 2009 when my daughter basically did the same thing and flunked out of nursing school her very first semester, I was out nearly $10G's for that shit, and it was a NY state school. I couldn't really be too mad at her though could I, cuz I'd done the exact same thing 30 years earlier. Guess being a slacker fuck up runs in the family.

Decoherence - Order, Industrail black metal UK

That sucks man. Gotta love those plans laid out all nice and neat for you. The unsolicited letter is hillarious to me. That's the college saying "We get more uncle Samuel money the more students sign up with us." Once the ink's dry on that piece of paper you will almost certainly never see your recruiter again. Going 10G in the hole is a tough pill to swallow, but you sound like you rolled with it and handled yourself really well. I'm sure your daughter's thankful to have a dad who's not going to blow a gasket.

My problem was two-fold. I tried to balance working full time and going to school full time, and after senior year I was socially non-functional. Some of this is going to sound like I'm blaming everything but myself for my defeats in life. I'm not. I was the one who signed that piece of paper after all. It was such a strange time in my life with my mother kind of taking on the mantle of being the breadwinner for a few years while my dad dealt with some pretty heavy internal stuff.

I probably should've taken a page from your book and just had a year to make mistakes and get over my party phase. The kicker for me was when I found out five or six of my teachers had actually had an entire meeting about the work I was turning in. The reason was apparently that my style of writing was highly unusual for a freshman, and they got together with my work from different classes to see if the tone was consistent, and that I wasn't pulling my work from a database online. So basically they had a meeting behind my back to see if I was cheating which I wasn't. If my tone hadn't had consistent tone and authorial voice I would have never known, and been subsequently and promptly expelled. Even back then with all the social skills of a moon dwelling alien ogre I felt absolutely indignant about that, so I pretty much checked out mentally and said 'fuck it'.

Oh and to stay on topic does this newer Incantation track sound incredibly weak to anybody else?

Unholy Deification | Incantation (bandcamp.com)

I mean the guitar tone sounds like Decrepit Birth, which is fine if you are Decrepit Birth, but that's not what I'm looking for from Incantation.

Edited by Nasty_Cabbage
Added NP

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Fuck off Doc with your Hexahedronic Splenophobia. No way I'm checking this one out but I bet it's just as bad or worse than that Chord you posted that time, must be a couple of years ago now.

I posted CHORD knowing everyone would hate them. You are all wrong about that but CABINET is actual songs and is warmly recommended.

NP - CATE LE BON - Pompeii. There is something really appealing about this album. Non metal alert for those who care.

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I posted CHORD knowing everyone would hate them. You are all wrong about that but CABINET is actual songs and is warmly recommended.

NP - CATE LE BON - Pompeii. There is something really appealing about this album. Non metal alert for those who care.

Wait a minute, I have a Cabinet album, so I must've liked them at least enough to buy it. But I don't remember anything about it or them, even though this was only last November. M-A says they're black/death from California which sounds like something I might like, but the album cover doesn't look familiar to me or anything. Guess I'll have to revisit....OK yeah this is really good, crisis averted I didn't waste my money.

Doc we don't care if you post non-metal, or at least I don't think most of us do. By now we expect half the shit you post not to be metal. It's just the really out there avant-garde shit and the non-musical shit that I need warnings about. Not that there's anything wrong with that either, but I'm personally just not interested. Which is why I was wary of your Hexahedron band. I think it's fair to say there's something a little off about people who name their bands after geometric shapes. I assume they're D&D nerds who used their dice for inspiration. But then I looked back at your previous post and realized Hexahedron wasn't the band name it was the Cabinet album title. I think I must have gotten it confused with that band Goldy liked, Dodecahedron.

And no sooner do I type all that when I click play on Pompeii. Can you see me over here rolling my eyes and shaking my head Doc? You're fucking up my algorithm man. When you said non metal, this is reeeally a long way from metal innit. Post-punk lovers Navy & FA might dig this though. She's Welsh you know. I can see the appeal, it's just something I'd have to be in the right mood for, and moods like that don't come over me all that often. What is it, something non-aggressive, non-threatening and non-offensive to play in the car when you and Mrs Thatguy go on one of your road trips down the shore for feesh & cheeps?

NP: I See Satan Fall Like Lightning - Set the Sky on Fire

10 hours ago, navybsn said:

Funny story about that album. Me and some friends dropped a shitload of acid with some chicks back in the 90's. This album had just come out. The girls loved it. One song, closer I think, got stuck on repeat for like 6-7 hours. Nobody could figure out how to switch the tracks. I can never hear that song without thinking of that night. Good times.

High Spirits - Another Night in the City

Yes - 90125

Oh God, I can only imagine listening to that album on acid, it's dark and tripped out enough like this. And "Closer" is the most accessible track, so probably put you in some sort of mantra with that beat. Great story.

P.S. "Owner of the Lonely Hearts" will always be a classic, although it's considered like a pop era of Yes, I still like it.

Meshuggah - Nothing (album)

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

Birth - Born

😆Birth - Born. That's in league with Slough Feg's  'I Will Kill You/You Will Die' for redundancy.

NP: Hrothgar - Rise of Ragnarok

▶︎ Rise of Ragnarök | Hrothgar (bandcamp.com)

a0442337084_10.jpg

Geez. Look guys I enjoy Amon Amarth in small doses, but is that really all you've got going on? That's just a straight up imitation.

16 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

😆Birth - Born. That's in league with Slough Feg's  'I Will Kill You/You Will Die' for redundancy.

I'm down with Slough Feg too, and I agree. Redundant but entertaining. Early 70's style prog rock isn't very abundant at the moment, so you takes what you can gets.

24 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I'm down with Slough Feg too, and I agree. Redundant but entertaining. Early 70's style prog rock isn't very abundant at the moment, so you takes what you can gets.

Oh yeah, I've been a fan of Slough Feg and Scalzi/Cobbett Hammers of Misfortune albums for a long time now. I may be one of the few people who actually thought Digital Resistance was a solid album. It just kind of overcorrected the missteps made on Hardworlder and The Animal Spirits. There's still plenty of excellent songs on Digital Resistance. New Organon was awesome as well, and probably the real return to form for them.

I haven't heard much from Cobbett since the last Vhol album. I hope his health is okay even if he can't tour like he used to. He's one we can't afford to lose. Speaking of which I think I'll spin some Ludicra tonight.

NP: Temple of Void - The World That Was

▶︎ The World That Was | Temple Of Void | TEMPLE OF VOID (bandcamp.com)

0020301088_10.jpg

Nice mid-paced death doom that's not afraid to hit the accelerator. 

There's a band I haven't thought about in a hot minute. Ludicra never did it for me. Forgot who was involved outside of Aesop Dekker. I saw Slough Feg a year or 2 ago but don't remember if Cobett was involved. I'm pretty sure it was Scalzi and Angelo Tringalli. Cobett left in 04-05 iirc. Awesome show, but I will say that all of their songs are at least 3 minutes too long. A little editing would go a long way for them.

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Wait a minute, I have a Cabinet album, etc

I knew you did and set a cunning trap. CABINET are good. I post off centre stuff here because it is part of what I listen to and because we all need our horizons widened sometimes. And fucking with your algorithm fills me with quiet joy.

Cate Le Bon is too quiet for driving music and I don't eat fish, although Mrs Thatguy loves it.

56 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I'm not one for remasters

My main gripe with remasters is that if the remaster is good you feel obliged to pay again for music you already own.

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

My main gripe with remasters is that if the remaster is good you feel obliged to pay again for music you already own.

Yeah I agree. My other problem is that too often I prefer the original recording, even if it is poor quality. Which is why I'm not 100% sure why I bought the Cav brothers new albums.

Not sure what other countries were like but in Australia we got a lot of re-release albums in the 90's and 00's. Some were called tour editions, but many were incorrectly called remasters. There was heaps of 'remastered' albums that had little done to them other than a new engineer listened to the master and tweaked a few knobs. In some cases it didn't even sound like they changed anything. Remasters became a joke in Australia.

Overkill - "Feel the Fire"

Overkill - "Taking Over"

Overkill - "Under the Influence"

Overkill - "The Years of Decay"

Overkill - "Horrorscope"

Overkill - "I Hear Black"

A more enjoyable experience than I've ever had before listening to this album.  Lots of great stuff on here!

Overkill - "W.F.O."

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

They are okay, but I'm not really sure they needed redoing. But then I'm not one for remasters so maybe I wasn't their target audience.

I'd agree they were redundant.  I am glad they didn't fuck the production up by making it too plastic.

35 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Overkill - "Feel the Fire"

Overkill - "Taking Over"

Overkill - "Under the Influence"

Overkill - "The Years of Decay"

Overkill - "Horrorscope"

Overkill - "I Hear Black"

A more enjoyable experience than I've ever had before listening to this album.  Lots of great stuff on here!

Overkill - "W.F.O."

First 5 are godly thrash albums.  Can't remember I Hear Black - time for a revisit.  W.F.O. has one of the most irritating production jobs ever.  I cannot listen to that album.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I knew you did and set a cunning trap. CABINET are good. I post off centre stuff here because it is part of what I listen to and because we all need our horizons widened sometimes. And fucking with your algorithm fills me with quiet joy.

Cate Le Bon is too quiet for driving music and I don't eat fish, although Mrs Thatguy loves it.

Another cunning stunt from the Diabolical Doctor from Deakin.

Just finished eating my fish. Omega-3 fatty acids Doc. Better for you than even Vegemite.

I have no problem widening my horizons, or with you posting your off-center stuff.  I often enjoy having a peek at whatever weird shit you've been listening to. I even said Cate's album was good. I just have to be in the mood for something that quiet and quirky and mellow. And what's with the nun's habit?

Thought I'd posted this hours ago but found it still sitting here in the editor.

NP: Pleń - Przechrzta, Poland

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Desecrator - To the Gallows

One of the best Aussie metal albums.

I'm laughing because it sounds like he's singing "To the ghettos, to the ghettos they gooo." Dude sorta sounds like a cross between Belladonna and Dane but without so many of those annoying high pitched screams. A touch commercial for me but it's a bit better than a lot of other stuff I've sampled in this nwoostm vein. If these guys were to say open for Overkill in a car park in East Rutherford NJ I probably wouldn't walk away to have a piss and look at the shirts.

Cool idea though to have a pre-show band play on a stage out in the parking lot so people can have some entertainment while they drink their beer and smoke their weed outside (it's legal here) and have their sex or whatever they do before they have to go in and sit in their little seats for Metallica. This is an 82,000 seat football stadium where both of our local teams the NY Giants and the NY Jets play. That's a lot of people in a damn parking lot. That's like all of Wacken's attendees for the whole weekend all in one spot. And Overkill should get a little career boost and some new fans out of this because I bet a lot of the Metalllica fans have never even heard of them.

WrestleMania 29 weather forecast for East Rutherford, New Jersey on April  7: Partly cloudy with a chance of rain - Cageside Seats

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And what's with the nun's habit?

Who can say. Here's the thing though. I enjoyed this album so I went back and listened to her earlier stuff, and nup, it did nothing for me. The stars just aligned for this one. 

Today's highlights

OMNIUM GATHERUM - New World Shadows. A fun band.

TWELVE FOOT NINJA - Silent Machine. Another fun band.

SPIRE - Spire EP. Also fun but in an entirely different way.