What Are You Listening To?

khaos

5 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

It's no secret that there's a massive horde of newer younger thrash bands out there primarily made up of younger dudes keeping the spirit of the thing alive. This came along, by my count, with what a lot of metal outlets saw as a "revival" since at least Tempo of the Damned. Probably earlier, but that's when I first started noticing it. Among the younger generation of thrashers in recent years, I think there's been an outsized amount of very generic and unremarkable bands, much as I wish this wasn't the case. With any movement you're going to get some bands that are just 'okay', and I've been hearing it more and more lately.

When I found these guys today it got me thinking about this. They're not heavier, faster, or more vicious than any of the other newer thrash bands out there. They're not progressive or exceptionally technical. They're no more or less scholars of the Venom and Motorhead scholastic discipline than any other, and yet they hit different. I almost don't want to invite the comparison, because they aren't quite on the same level as the classic thrashers, but the best way I can describe it is the same as Bonded By Blood isn't all that different than many of it's peers. There were certainly faster (Sadus), more vicious (Kreator), and more technical (Coroner) albums available at the time, but when you listen to it you know there is and will only ever be one Bonded By Blood. It's just different somehow. Again, I want to stress that I'm not saying these guys are on that level, but they definitely prove their worth among the newer crowd. I'll definitely be listening to the new one when it drops in a month or so.

I don't listen to many "young" Thrash bands over the long term. I'm generally bored by them all, with the exception of Vektor and Arsena.

In general, these bands don't invent anything except "new" riffs. No assertive personality. Most of them mix different styles of Thrash (at random, Kreator/Exodus/Testament, it's so original to do that) but I'm unable to listen to the title of a new album by one of these bands that I'd know by name.

That's why, very often, I listen to old Thrash albums. Albums made by those who were part of its history, inventing something, contributing something.

7 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I don't listen to many "young" Thrash bands over the long term. I'm generally bored by them all, with the exception of Vektor and Arsena.

In general, these bands don't invent anything except "new" riffs. No assertive personality. Most of them mix different styles of Thrash (at random, Kreator/Exodus/Testament, it's so original to do that) but I'm unable to listen to the title of a new album by one of these bands that I'd know by name.

That's why, very often, I listen to old Thrash albums. Albums made by those who were part of its history, inventing something, contributing something.

Just on this I mostly agree, retro thrash isn’t my thing. However there’s a handful of newish, pre-2010 thrash bands I make exceptions for.

NP - Black Fast - Starving Out the Light

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

134. Dispyt - Under Tiden Jag Sålde Min Själ Till Satan, blackened crust Finland

133. Disclose - Yesterday's Fairytale, Tomorrow's Nightmare, Japan hardcore d-beat crust

I've never actually heard the infamous Winds of Creation album, should probably give it a whirl one of these days.

24 minutes ago, Arioch said:

No thrash for me thanks, unless it's been properly blackened. Infused with a little black and/or death metal. Why would they keep making traditional straight thrash in 2023? Don't they know they're allowed to blacken it?

34 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No thrash for me thanks, unless it's been properly blackened. Infused with a little black and/or death metal. Why would they keep making traditional straight thrash in 2023? Don't they know they're allowed to blacken it?

In that case, put an ear (or two, it's better) to Antichrist's Sinful Birth album.

16 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I dialled that up after your previous post. Trying to listen to it now but the guys voice is off putting for me and the music isn't that great. I'm going back to the 80's.

On the contrary, I find their music very well crafted and the band have a fairly 'artisanal' approach without trying to play the dopplegangers of Exodus or Testament.

Arsena aren't very original, but the fact that they're not clones is a very good thing for them.

23 minutes ago, Arioch said:

In that case, put an ear (or two, it's better) to Antichrist's Sinful Birth album. 

Oui mon ami, it's on my top 20 thrash albums of the 21st century list. Sorry to say there's nothing from France.

2000's Thrash - Black/thrash

Hellish Crossfire - Slavery of the Burning Pentagram Germany 2006

Baphomet's Blood - In Satan We Trust 2016 Italy

Overkill - Killbox 13  2003 

Deströyer 666 - Defiance 2009

Hades Archer - For the Diabolical Ages 2011 Chile

Alastor - Crushing Christendom 2000 Portugal

Nocturnal Witch - Summoning Hell 2014 Germany

Sathanas - Crowned Infernal 2007 Pennsylvania

Antichrist - Sinful Birth, 2017 Sweden

Ruins - Satanic Bitchpenetration 2008 Germany

Flame - Into the Age of Fire 2005  Finland

Urn - Soul Destroyers 2008 Finland

Front - Antichrist Militia 2020 Finland

Praise the Flame - Manifest Rebellion  2015 Chilean death/thrash.

Desaster - Arts of Destruction 2012 Germany

Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness 2017 Scotland

Dead to this World - First Strike for Spiritual Renewance, Norway 2007

Sacrilegia - The Triclavian Advent 2019 Ireland

Ragehammer - The Hammer Doctrine 2016 Poland

Bömber - Black Ultra Anarchy 2021 Chile

Craven Idol - Forked Tongues 2021 UK 

Black Jackyl - Forever War 2021,  San Antonio TX

Evil Angel - Unholy Fight For Metal 2007 Finland

24 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Well crafted? Artisanal? Sounds like words the Doc would use to describe what he listens too.

Well crafted I get and surely anyone would appreciate that. Even GG likes his BM to be carefully  - and well - crafted to sound like it was recorded by bumpkins in a corrugated iron out-house. I don't know what artisanal means in any context apart from wanky.

Antichrist is not wanky and it actually sounds good. Not quite to my taste but this is Thatguy approved.

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Oui mon ami, it's on my top 20 thrash albums of the 21st century list. Sorry to say there's nothing from France.

2000's Thrash - Black/thrash

Hellish Crossfire - Slavery of the Burning Pentagram Germany 2006

Baphomet's Blood - In Satan We Trust 2016 Italy

Overkill - Killbox 13  2003 

Deströyer 666 - Defiance 2009

Hades Archer - For the Diabolical Ages 2011 Chile

Alastor - Crushing Christendom 2000 Portugal

Nocturnal Witch - Summoning Hell 2014 Germany

Sathanas - Crowned Infernal 2007 Pennsylvania

Antichrist - Sinful Birth, 2017 Sweden

Ruins - Satanic Bitchpenetration 2008 Germany

Flame - Into the Age of Fire 2005  Finland

Urn - Soul Destroyers 2008 Finland

Front - Antichrist Militia 2020 Finland

Praise the Flame - Manifest Rebellion  2015 Chilean death/thrash.

Desaster - Arts of Destruction 2012 Germany

Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness 2017 Scotland

Dead to this World - First Strike for Spiritual Renewance, Norway 2007

Sacrilegia - The Triclavian Advent 2019 Ireland

Ragehammer - The Hammer Doctrine 2016 Poland

Bömber - Black Ultra Anarchy 2021 Chile

Craven Idol - Forked Tongues 2021 UK 

Black Jackyl - Forever War 2021,  San Antonio TX

Evil Angel - Unholy Fight For Metal 2007 Finland

I forgot some of us did that exercise, pretty much agree. Those are the highlights though.

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes

Candlemass - Ancient Dreams

Grief - Come to Grief

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Well crafted I get and surely anyone would appreciate that. Even GG likes his BM to be carefully  - and well - crafted to sound like it was recorded by bumpkins in a corrugated iron out-house. I don't know what artisanal means in any context apart from wanky.

Antichrist is not wanky and it actually sounds good. Not quite to my taste but this is Thatguy approved.

Maybe you are starting to understand. Filth is art too, it's not like just any old schmuck off the street can make raw black metal that sounds good. I think it takes more skill than making oompa loompa music (or whatever that was you caled Rose Tattoo) or commercial mainstream swill. These dudes dedicate their lives to their craft for virtually no recompense. The corrugated iron outhouse is esssential though, to get the proper reverb. Preferably positioned at least 100 meters into an icy cold windswept forest to maintain authenticity. 

The only thing I've ever heard described as 'artisanal' was bread. It's supposed to mean made by hand without the aid of machines.

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I knew I should have set up that recording desk in the outside dunny.

15 minutes ago, Arioch said:
24 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sorry to say there's nothing from France.

It doesn't matter. Music knows no borders between countries.

One from Philippines. Black/thrash

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

ve never actually heard the infamous Winds of Creation album, should probably give it a whirl one of these days.

Check it out.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

145. Testament - the Legacy

144. Slaughter - Surrender or die

143. Pan.thy.monium - Dawn of dreams

26 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

someone else digs Pan.Thy.Monium, at last I’m not alone.

I hate the start of this album, but then it transitions into something else. Not a prog guy at all, but there is always a album here and there.

29 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

found a way to join the game U2 are playing, in about a years time when the app scrobbles enough to accurately reflect what I listen to.

We'll be playing a different game by then.

---

142. Limbonic art - In abhorrence dementia

141. Enslaved - Hordanes land

140. Empyrium - Where at night the wood grouse sleep

5 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

I hate the start of this album, but then it transitions into something else. Not a prog guy at all, but there is always a album here and there.

We'll be playing a different game by then.

---

142. Limbonic art - In abhorrence dementia

141. Enslaved - Hordanes land

140. Empyrium - Where at night the wood grouse sleep

I am a prof guy, provided it’s mixed with something else to keep me interested. Also, it’s not my fault. The app doesn’t track what you listen to before you’ve downloaded it. Take it up with them…

NP: SubRosa - More Constant Than the Gods

One for the good doctor, i’m not sure who else here would enjoy what could best be described as atmospheric doom

New 'Cocke!

Decades Of Devil Worship | Akercocke | Peaceville (bandcamp.com)

This was a pleasant surprise when it reared its head this morning. 

Considering I haven't heard the first couple of albums very much (production sounded like a swarm of angry bees trapped in a bottle), it's good to have a live album that sounds decent...albeit with David Gray's plastic triggered drums. It's a necessary evil with this band and all his projects.

NP: Gnosis | Russian Circles (bandcamp.com)

Basically ISIS without vocals.