What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Goat Explosion - Threatening Skies

▶︎ Threatening Skies | Goat Explosion (bandcamp.com)

a2193618547_10.jpg

It's so difficult to stand out in the stoner doom genre. The prevailing method seems to be to go back further than Sleep worship to the semi-rock'n'roll of Pentagram. Simply building a little rock'n'roll into your dirging won't cut it on its own, though. What I like about this is how, rather than use Pentagram as their sidearm of choice, these guys have clearly chosen Trouble and the euro-tinged more epic style. It's more than just the clean and well implemented vocals. The rock is still there, but a healthy dose of all the best elements of Cathedral help temper the whole thing. Obviously I'm not going to be expecting a legacy cementing epic, but right now this is hitting me fairly well. So much so that I'd recommend it if the idea of dual wielding a bong and monk's quarterstaff sounds like a good build to you.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

Hell of an album. The Manowar cover will never stop feeling weirdly out of place. Probably should have been a bonus track or something. Every time I revisit the Gothenburg variety of melodeath I end up wondering for what could have been in the American metalcore scene had they taken more influence from albums like The Spectral Sorrows, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery, or The Red in the Sky is Ours instead of rehashing Slaughter of the Soul with breakdowns.

15 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Hell of an album. The Manowar cover will never stop feeling weirdly out of place. Probably should have been a bonus track or something. Every time I revisit the Gothenburg variety of melodeath I end up wondering for what could have been in the American metalcore scene had they taken more influence from albums like The Spectral Sorrows, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery, or The Red in the Sky is Ours instead of rehashing Slaughter of the Soul with breakdowns.

Agreed on both fronts, but we live in the worst possible timeline,

NP: Bolt Thrower - …For Victory

NP: Thornafire - Leprosario Lazareto

▶︎ Leprosario Lazareto | THORNAFIRE | GREAT DANE RECORDS (bandcamp.com)

a3360421770_16.jpg

Guitar first death metal with a vicious tech bent. Of course I'm biased because I unabashedly adore tech-death, and feel the Brain Drills of the metal world give it a bad rap among purists. The genre as a whole is far richer and more robust than a lot of other subgenres out there. I can understand if you like your death metal a little nastier or grittier, though. To me it's the difference between a clean surgically precise wound from a sharpened sabre, or an ugly gouge from a rusty straight-razor. They both get the job done, just in different ways. I'll be looking forward to hearing this in it's entirety when it drops in a few weeks.

Thatguy is content. The mighty Eels whipped the old enemy Moanly on Saturday and I had a pleasant break visiting Mrs Thatguy's family and friends in Hobart.

And there was Hymns to the Dead:

First up HAUNTER. Meat and potatoes blackened death but entirely entertaining.

IMG_7960.thumb.jpeg.f9e5579b710c581959c6f50d196961ae.jpeg

Then ZURIAAKE. Good fun with costumes and masks and creepy singer. I'm listening to one of their albums as I write and they sounded a lot better live.

IMG_7965.thumb.jpeg.103db6adaad0e2c6852f005ea09e6691.jpeg

And then DODHEIMSGARD. Absolutely blistering BM from the first bar. And the singer is an old reprobate. Excellent set.

IMG_7968.thumb.jpeg.b0737ba5515e919271c38d8820b19701.jpegIMG_7981.thumb.jpeg.c7d3bcbf6a3e89f4ae487449a9cf1908.jpeg

On 6/17/2023 at 3:57 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Shades of God, 1992. Thanks Jon, typing this post gave me an excuse to play both of these albums back to back twice like it was 1994. I know you won't come back and see this for a few more days til Monday morning, but when you do come back let me be the first to say I hope you had a lovely weekend that was sweet as.

I also had a run through of Shades of God on Saturday afternoon, in an uncharacteristic free hour sitting under a tree on the grass and not having to do anything family related. Apparently the vinyl issue omitted As I Die. Can you imagine the absurdity of that decision? If you're gonna drop a track for LP running time, you don't just drop the last song.

It was a lovely weekend and sweet as. Hope yours was too.

It's entirely possible I haven't heard Icon in more than 25 years. I only ever had it on cassette tape. It was on Music For Nations and none of that stuff is on Bandcamp. They are re-recording it for the 30th anniversary. Rarely are such decisions good ones.

While sitting there under the tree I ordered To Mega Therion from eBay. 

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I also had a run through of Shades of God on Saturday afternoon, in an uncharacteristic free hour sitting under a tree on the grass and not having to do anything family related. Apparently the vinyl issue omitted As I Die. Can you imagine the absurdity of that decision? If you're gonna drop a track for LP running time, you don't just drop the last song.

It was a lovely weekend and sweet as. Hope yours was too.

It's entirely possible I haven't heard Icon in more than 25 years. I only ever had it on cassette tape. It was on Music For Nations and none of that stuff is on Bandcamp. They are re-recording it for the 30th anniversary. Rarely are such decisions good ones.

While sitting there under the tree I ordered To Mega Therion from eBay. 

I don't know if I had the original 1992 official Music For Nations 12" LP version or not, but it seems that one had the lyrics printed on the inner sleeve and I know mine didn't, I had a blank paper sleeve. But I know I had the album on black vinyl in 1992 and it definitely had As I Die on it. Looked it up on M-A and also Discogs and after that original MFN July 14 1992 release that supposedly omits As I Die, there were no other vinyl versions released for 19 years until Peaceville's in 2011, (also without As I Die) and then it was reissued by some no name label The End Records as a double LP on clear vinyl in 2015 with As I Die as well as a pair of bonus tracks comprising side 4. Released again the following year by MFN as a single picture disc this time with As I Die on it. So the 53 minute album will fit on a single LP. Another Google search brings me back to Discogs and shows a 1992 MFN LP with As I Die listed as track 9. Maybe they did a repress? 

www.discogs.com/master/10674-Paradise-Lost-Shades-Of-God

My mind is blown. Either there is another unofficial 1992 vinyl version including As I Die missing from the database or I'm just crazy. Metal Blade released it on CD and cassette in '92 alongside the 3 MFN versions all on the same day in 1992, I'll assume one set was for the US and the other for Europe. Maybe MB did a vinyl version as well that's not listed? I've given all my old vinyl to a friend in Denver who's sleeping right now since it's currently 3:30am in Denver or I'd call and ask him to look to see which version mine was, MFN or MB. Maybe I had some bootleg Japanese version or a pre-release promo copy or something.

I'm biased obviously as we're talking about one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, but there are no expendable tracks on that album. I guess if I was forced to drop a track, gun to head it'd have to be either Embraced or Mortals Watch the Day. Which isn't a bad track, I just never liked it as the opener. But from track 4 Daylight Torn til the end you can't fuck with any of that shit. Definitely wouldn't be letting go of the final and also the shortest track As I Die, that's the closest thing they had to a "hit single" on that album. But no, in 1992 they were much happier playing garbage like Ozzy's No More Tears on the radio. 

So glad to hear you've tracked down a copy of To Mega Therion on Ebay! Absolutely essential album for me along with at the very least Pandemonium and Vanity/Nemesis, and you'll need the 1986 reissue of Morbid Tales/Dethroned Emperor 2 EP's on one disc. (still comes in at 40 minutes, plenty of CD & LP options on Ebay)

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My mind is blown. Either there is another unofficial 1992 vinyl version including As I Die missing from the database or I'm just crazy. Metal Blade released it on CD and cassette in '92 alongside the 3 MFN versions all on the same day in 1992, I'll assume one set was for the US and the other for Europe. Maybe MB did a vinyl version as well that's not listed? I've given all my old vinyl to a friend in Denver who's sleeping right now since it's currently 3:30am in Denver or I'd call and ask him to look to see which version mine was, MFN or MB. Maybe I had some bootleg Japanese version or a pre-release promo copy or something.

All I know is a while back I found a 1st UK press on eBay which I would have gotten, until I noticed that As I Die was missing. I never looked again and I don't do reissues and double LPs (unless it is The Wall). I think I have the CD in the garage, otherwise I'm not sure where the MP3s I have on my phone came from. I had it on cassette tape too. These (SoG and Icon) must have been some of the last cassettes I bought, because I am certain I had a CD player in early 1992. Maybe I thought CDs were a fad that would never last, compared to the enduring permanence of magnetic tape.  It may have been an economics thing too. Import CDs were about NZ$35 in 1992. That was almost a week's rent in a student flat! A cassette was probably $15. 

I believe the To Mega Therion version on its way might be a double disc CD with some extras on it. LPs are going for $150 and up. Narp. The most expensive LP I've ever bought is possibly £50 for Sabbat Dreamweaver and then Masters of Reality/Paranoid etc (not first presses - those are £500).