What Are You Listening To?

khaos

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Not their best but it's got a few bangers and the title track is one of Maiden's best.

Was going to go on a tirade about how this was the first actual double vinyl (as in pressed onto 2 discs) studio album which signaled the downfall of Maiden...but it wasn't actually that much longer than earlier ones. It's funny that Maiden seemed like dinosaurs when this came out (Steve Harris was 36!), against the backdrop of thrash, death and emerging black metal. 

If they were dinosaurs then, what are they now? Trilobites?

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

By what ‘92? DM was rolling and BM was in its second wave or close to it.

Extreme genres like black and death metal didn't have the mainstream visibility back then before the internet that they enjoy today. Bands outside of what the mainstream was pushing were much harder to find out about back then, you basically had to either get word of mouth recos from friends or dudes at shows, or just go to the record store and flip through records by bands that you'd never heard of and take random chances on stuff based on the covers. Remember Jon was still a high school lad of 16/17 in '92, hadn't even been through his Korn/Limp Bizkunt phase yet.

I was a 30/31 year od metalhead in '92 and the only semi-extreme band I randomly discoverd that year was Paradise Lost, which very quickly became my favorite band, that was the heaviest shit I'd ever heard at the time. (Which seems funny looking back now because Shades of God isn't really that extreme, the vocals sound very Hetfield-esque) I was already totally into thrash for nearly a decade in '92 but death and black metal were still complete unknowns to me. I'm sure I must have seen some of the album covers for bands like Death, Morbid Angel, CC and Obituary in the stores, but I hadn't heard anything about them so I didn't have any idea what they were. And I guess none of the album covers looked particularly interesting to me, or at least not enough to put down my money to take them home and find out. I don't remember seeing any Norwegian black metal albums in the stores in the early 90's, that shit was underground. It was a decade later after the internet had arrived that I finally found out about and started checking out all those early 90's black and death metal bands.

I knew about Iron Maiden in '92, but I had already given up on them 8 years prior in 1984 after the disappointing Powerslave album. So to this day I've still never heard Prayer for the Dying or even the two albums before that.

Also I don't think anyone was thinking of the first wave as 'black metal' yet even in 1992, much less 'first wave.' We didn't know there were going to be waves. All those 80's 1st wave bands were still under the heavy metal umbrella.

NP: Et In Arcadia Ego - I, raw atmo-black from Philly

Chamber of Mirrors - Moonlight Decay, raw atmo-black Mojave desert

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Extreme genres like black and death metal didn't have the mainstream visibility back then before the internet that they enjoy today. Bands outside of what the mainstream was pushing were much harder to find out about back then, you basically had to either get word of mouth recos from friends or dudes at shows, or just go to the record store and flip through records by bands that you'd never heard of and take random chances on stuff based on the covers. Remember Jon was still a high school lad of 16/17 in '92, hadn't even been through his Korn/Limp Bizkunt phase yet.

I was a 30/31 year od metalhead in '92 and the only semi-extreme band I randomly discoverd that year was Paradise Lost, which very quickly became my favorite band, that was the heaviest shit I'd ever heard at the time. (Which seems funny looking back now because Shades of God isn't really that extreme, the vocals sound very Hetfield-esque) I was already totally into thrash for nearly a decade in '92 but death and black metal were still complete unknowns to me. I'm sure I must have seen some of the album covers for bands like Death, Morbid Angel, CC and Obituary in the stores, but I hadn't heard anything about them so I didn't have any idea what they were. And I guess none of the album covers looked particularly interesting to me, or at least not enough to put down my money to take them home and find out. I don't remember seeing any Norwegian black metal albums in the stores in the early 90's, that shit was underground. It was a decade later after the internet had arrived that I finally found out about and started checking out all those early 90's black and death metal bands.

I knew about Iron Maiden in '92, but I had already given up on them 8 years prior in 1984 after the disappointing Powerslave album. So to this day I've still never heard Prayer for the Dying or even the two albums before that.

Also I don't think anyone was thinking of the first wave as 'black metal' yet even in 1992, much less 'first wave.' We didn't know there were going to be waves. All those 80's 1st wave bands were still under the heavy metal umbrella.

All true. My point (seemingly misunderstood by Blivington) was that by '92 thrash and death were well established and the previous generation of conventional heavy metal, who were only in their 30s or early 40s, were seen as dinosaurs. It seems bizarre now but our Lord Tony was 44. 44! And considered past it. But he's still going and is more revered now than ever.

Even I, worshipper of Priest, did not really listen to them or Maiden or Sabbath for about five to ten years from 92 because it was all about the death and doom then. It coincided with the Ripper and Blaze and inactivity from Sabbath except for Forbidden which I never even heard until relatively recently. 

I can't be sure but I think I discovered Shades of God in the summer of '93 (meaning Christmas 93 in great southern lands) where I also heard Turn Loose the Swans, because I didn't have a summer job and was bumming around. I lived in a shed for a few weeks. That was the summer of doom.

To me Nick Holmes didn't go full Hetfield worship until Icon and especially Draconian Times. They were such sell outs ...but still a decent album compared to the headscratchers that were to come.

Geez, I'll never live that nu-metal shit down. But it was never more than a dabble. Same as I went to raves 20 years ago, until you realise its dumb. But, hey, no regrets.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

All true. My point (seemingly misunderstood by Blivington) was that by '92 thrash and death were well established and the previous generation of conventional heavy metal, who were only in their 30s or early 40s, were seen as dinosaurs. It seems bizarre now but our Lord Tony was 44. 44! And considered past it. But he's still going and is more revered now than ever.

Even I, worshipper of Priest, did not really listen to them or Maiden or Sabbath for about five to ten years from 92 because it was all about the death and doom then. It coincided with the Ripper and Blaze and inactivity from Sabbath except for Forbidden which I never even heard until relatively recently. 

I can't be sure but I think I discovered Shades of God in the summer of '93 (meaning Christmas 93 in great southern lands) where I also heard Turn Loose the Swans, because I didn't have a summer job and was bumming around. I lived in a shed for a few weeks. That was the summer of doom.

To me Nick Holmes didn't go full Hetfield worship until Icon and especially Draconian Times. They were such sell outs ...but still a decent album compared to the headscratchers that were to come.

Geez, I'll never live that nu-metal shit down. But it was never more than a dabble. Same as I went to raves 20 years ago, until you realise its dumb. But, hey, no regrets.

Shades of God, another album that changed my life. I didn't know what it was in '92 because sub-genres weren't a big part of my life yet then. It was just metal and it seemed super heavy to me compared to the thrash and 80's metal I had been used to. My friends couldn't even remember their name, they just refered to PL as "that really heavy band that Brian plays all the time." And that reinforced my thought that PL was super heavy. They didn't share my enthusiasm for it, but that mattered little to me, as it was my stereo and my name on the lease and I played that thing on repeat all throughout '92 and then the following year Shades and Icon were both on endless repeat. I would change things up every now and then to play an Alice in Chains album, for I was quite infatuated with them as well in the early 90's.

But you're right, Icon was where he went full on Jaymz, but since I was so in love with those two albums and played them back to back so much (and I was most likely stoned) the distinction between the two might have become a bit blurred. The release of Draconian Times however was a dark time for me. To learn that my favorite band had dropped a new album and then when I got it home to find that they gone soft on me was a crushing blow. Surely this couldn't have been the same PL I knew and loved. Always surprises me when people mention Draconian and Icon in the same breath as if they were similar things. I tried for a week or so but with every listen I just became more enraged and depressed. I was so upset about their change of direction that I destroyed my Draconian Times cassette, broke it into pieces and threw it in the garbage in protest. Just as well though, DT probably helped to soften the blow for when they later went full on soy boy. I can listen to it and appreciate it now 28 years later, but in '95 I was fucking shattered.

As far as Iommi being 44 in '92, it occurs to me that a decade earlier when that first Ozzy solo album came out in 1981 I turned 20. And I remember calculating that Ozzy born in 1948 was 33. And I found that mind blowing, and also quite encoraging that someone as old as Ozzy, an actual grown-ass man who had reached full adulthood (or so I erroneously assumed at the time) was still into heavy metal at such an advanced, elderly age. Because everyone had been telling me for so long that this heavy metal shit was just a phase that I would naturally grow out of and move on from. Ozzy gave me hope that I could still be into 'heavy' music well into adulthood. Which is absolutely hilarious considering the kind of stuff I generally listen to now in my old age. While I couldn't even imagine having any desire to listen to a 40 year old Ozzy solo album at this point.

11 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Was going to go on a tirade about how this was the first actual double vinyl (as in pressed onto 2 discs) studio album which signaled the downfall of Maiden...but it wasn't actually that much longer than earlier ones. It's funny that Maiden seemed like dinosaurs when this came out (Steve Harris was 36!), against the backdrop of thrash, death and emerging black metal. 

If they were dinosaurs then, what are they now? Trilobites?

They were indeed dinosaurs though Fear of the Dark was number 1 in UK.

What's interesting is that due to several factors (internet, me being older, my interest in history) means that Maiden no longer feels old like they did when I was 16 in the 1990s.  

In fact given my historical interest, even the fall of the Byzantine Empire in 1453 doesn't seem that long ago and World War II seems recent.  😵

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Shades of God, another album that changed my life. I didn't know what it was in '92 because sub-genres weren't a big part of my life yet then. It was just metal and it seemed super heavy to me compared to the thrash and 80's metal I had been used to. My friends couldn't even remember their name, they just refered to PL as "that really heavy band that Brian plays all the time." And that reinforced my thought that PL was super heavy. They didn't share my enthusiasm for it, but that mattered little to me, as it was my stereo and my name on the lease and I played that thing on repeat all throughout '92 and then the following year Shades and Icon were both on endless repeat. I would change things up every now and then to play an Alice in Chains album, for I was quite infatuated with them as well in the early 90's.

But you're right, Icon was where he went full on Jaymz, but since I was so in love with those two albums and played them back to back so much (and I was most likely stoned) the distinction between the two might have become a bit blurred. The release of Draconian Times however was a dark time for me. To learn that my favorite band had dropped a new album and then when I got it home to find that they gone soft on me was a crushing blow. Surely this couldn't have been the same PL I knew and loved. Always surprises me when people mention Draconian and Icon in the same breath as if they were similar things. I tried for a week or so but with every listen I just became more enraged and depressed. I was so upset about their change of direction that I destroyed my Draconian Times cassette, broke it into pieces and threw it in the garbage in protest. Just as well though, DT probably helped to soften the blow for when they later went full on soy boy. I can listen to it and appreciate it now 28 years later, but in '95 I was fucking shattered.

As far as Iommi being 44 in '92, it occurs to me that a decade earlier when that first Ozzy solo album came out in 1981 I turned 20. And I remember calculating that Ozzy born in 1948 was 33. And I found that mind blowing, and also quite encoraging that someone as old as Ozzy, an actual grown-ass man who had reached full adulthood (or so I erroneously assumed at the time) was still into heavy metal at such an advanced, elderly age. Because everyone had been telling me for so long that this heavy metal shit was just a phase that I would naturally grow out of and move on from. Ozzy gave me hope that I could still be into 'heavy' music well into adulthood. Which is absolutely hilarious considering the kind of stuff I generally listen to now in my old age. While I couldn't even imagine having any desire to listen to a 40 year old Ozzy solo album at this point.

Gothic and SoG are still among my fave doom/death albums. I think it’s common for metal heads to be told it’s just a phase, or you’ll grow out of it.

NP: Thergothon - Streams From the Heavens

23 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Fungoid Stream are the closest thing I’ve heard to Thergothon, though I can’t comment on the Lovecraftian themes. Moss as well if you don’t mind tempos which would give a snail road rage.

Nice. I'll check them out. Thanks.

NP: Temptation - The Land of Promise

Such a young sounding band at this stage, but for such a rough around the edges sound they lack a sense of immediacy that I can't quite put my finger on. I think they remind me a little of a far less energetic Magnus.

Bloodsimple - "Cruel World"

Bloodsimple - "Red Harvest"

All Hail the Yeti - "Screams from a Black Wilderness"

Switchtense - Self-titled

Blessed Hellride - "Hellfire Club"

Black Label Society - "Doom Crew Inc"

Dark Days Ahead - "The Long Road South"

Betzefer - "The Devil Went Down to the Holy Land"

More groove metal greatness!