Fan of albums, not bands

Dead1

22 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't choose to concern myself with bands like that who aren't metal and who are not and have never even been on my radar. Who lumps them into my scene? 

Slipknot and Trivium for all their faults are/were bonafide metal bands.

I would argue Iron Maiden, Pantera and Megadeth or even stuff like Death or Amon Amarth or Power Trip or aren't part of your scene which save a handfuls of legacy acts really is black metal and black metal adjacent genres (even the death metal you listen to is closer to black metal than death metal and I often find it isn't death metal enough).

As for iconoclasism, well sorry to say you chose to worship some icons ala Darkthrone.

5 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Slipknot and Trivium for all their faults are/were bonafide metal bands.

I would argue Iron Maiden, Pantera and Megadeth or even stuff like Death or Amon Amarth or Power Trip or aren't part of your scene which save a handfuls of legacy acts really is black metal and black metal adjacent genres (even the death metal you listen to is closer to black metal than death metal and I often find it isn't death metal enough).

As for iconoclasism, well sorry to say you chose to worship some icons ala Darkthrone.

Slipknot and Trivium

They suck, so who cares what genre they are? You can knock my dick in the dirt and put your boot on my neck and twist my arm til it snaps or give me a purple fucking nurple, I will never agree to Balloon-knot being a metal band, bona fide or otherwise. 

No I'm just fuckin' with you man. I've heard a sum total of about 14 seconds of 'Knot's music so I really honestly don't care what genre you'd like to classify them as. I don't even really have an opinion on this as they're not part of my universe. I only know them as a name most metalheads can get behind slagging off to make ourselves feel superior.

I would argue Iron Maiden, Pantera and Megadeth or even stuff like Death or Amon Amarth or Power Trip or aren't part of your scene which save a handfuls of legacy acts really is black metal and black metal adjacent genres.

RIght-o. You won't have to argue mate, I'll gladly stipulate to all that. Power Trip and Pantera especially can hob my knob. And little Brucie too. My metal listening is easilly 3 or 4 to 1 black metal (or blackened) over death metal. Especially in the wintertime I can go stretches of weeks at a time listening to almost nothing but black (or blackened) metal. I've never tried to keep this a secret.

(even the death metal you listen to is closer to black metal than death metal and I often find it isn't death metal enough).

You see now I would've thought the death metal bands you post aren't death metal enough. Who's to say what's death metal enough? What does that even mean?

It's certainly true that a good portion of the death metal I listen to has either been blackened to some extent or it's been mixed with hardcore to some extent, or more recently the last few years I'm finding quite a few dm bands that have the deathgrind tag. Most of your "classic" 90's Florida Morrisound death metal bands like Deicide, Morbid and Cannibal don't interest me at all. Except for early Obituary of course, and the first 3 Death albums are very good. There are a handful of other exceptions that I like: Carrion Kind, Screams of Anguish, 10 Commandments, From Beyond... But who's to say what the ultimate goal is, as far as what specific sound we're trying to get closest to when deciding what's more death metal, or less death metal, or death metal enough, or not death metal enough?

Not counting blackened death metal bands which you seem to want to discount or exclude for not being purely death metal, my favorite legacy death metal bands formed in the 90's would be: Grave, The Chasm, Bolt Thrower, Incantation, Purtenance, Vomitory, Obituary, Imprecation, Autopsy. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone important. 

Then of the more recent bands formed within the last 15 - 20 years which I spend much more time listening to, some of my favorites would be: Father Befouled, Of Feather and Bone, Cadaveric Incubator, Invultation, Internal Rot, Chapel of Disease, Dead Congregation, Undergang, Temple of Void, Desecresy, Lie in Ruins, Coffins, Funebrarum....I could list more if you want but I think you get the idea.

You're trying to tell me that these bands aren't death metal enough to suit you? On what grounds sir? Why don't you tell me some of your favorite death metal bands and explain to me why they're "more" death metal than my favorite bands. I would really like to know where I went wrong. (this oughta be good for a chuckle)

Nah, I don't worship Darkthrone. I respect the hell out of them and I admire their body of work, but not worship. The only icon I would elevate to "worship" status would be Tom G Warrior. And I guess Lemmy's borderline worship/respect so we can count him too if you want. So yes, even I, the grizzled old curmudgeon who hates everyone and everything has two mainstream heavy metal heros. Feel free to tell me why they suck or why they're not as metal as your heavy metal heros. Tear them down and drag them through the mud if you'd like Deadovic, along with all the black metal and blackened death I love. I know I verbally trash and savage a lot of your bands, it'd only be fair to let you trash and savage some of mine. It's all good brother, I promise you won't hurt my feelings.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I've known a bunch of people who exhibit what looks (to me) like misplaced loyalty towards bands that are obviously (to me) past their prime. But it's not really about the specifics of the music for them, it seems to be more of an identity thing, like team sports fandom. All the band needs to do is keep the ball rolling. Never been something I understood on a gut level but whatever.

Not much to contribute here, but this struck a chord.

Being a fan of a sports team is not quite the same as a band because I don't see sports as creative. Sports loyalties stem from tribalism. Yet, it's fair to say that some bands tap into whatever magic sauce fuels the boneheaded stupidity of a sports fan.

It's reasonable to declare yourself a fan of a band if, on balance, they elicit a "oh yeah, I like those guys" as a first thought. 

With other bands, after years of disappointment, the default becomes "oh yeah, I used to like those guys" in which case, you're not a fan anymore, but love the early albums. I can see this in my vinyl collection. So many bands are complete then stop at 1990 - Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax. Oosh, even AC/DC and Judas Priest become sporadic and incomplete after that.

With listening on bandcamp, which is how I consume most music day to day, it's way more random and I just dip in and out of bands and might not even notice or know if the band has other albums. 

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Being a fan of a sports team is not quite the same as a band because I don't see sports as creative. Sports loyalties stem from tribalism. Yet, it's fair to say that some bands tap into whatever magic sauce fuels the boneheaded stupidity of a sports fan.

It's reasonable to declare yourself a fan of a band if, on balance, they elicit a "oh yeah, I like those guys" as a first thought. 

With other bands, after years of disappointment, the default becomes "oh yeah, I used to like those guys" in which case, you're not a fan anymore, but love the early albums. I can see this in my vinyl collection. So many bands are complete then stop at 1990 - Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax. Oosh, even AC/DC and Judas Priest become sporadic and incomplete after that.

With listening on bandcamp, which is how I consume most music day to day, it's way more random and I just dip in and out of bands and might not even notice or know if the band has other albums. 

If you guys had the good creative sports over there and superior athletes like we do over here in the colonies (instead of just cricket and footy) then you'd change your tune PDQ Jon-O Blade. Boneheaded stupidity ppfftt. It is possible to be a casual sports fan and not take the stupidity to boneheaded levels you know. 

But anyway I thought dad's sports team analogy was a good one. Might not really apply quite as well for some of us uber sophisticated metal connoisseurs like you and me, but for the normies, mainstreamers and casuals, those people don't know anywhere near as many bands as happening dudes like us with our ears to the ground do. So they're much more likely to find a couple of bands they like and then latch onto them for dear life like an infant at the tit. Or a better analogy might be they'll cling to the reins like a jockey on his horse, and then just ride them bitches till the bitter end when they'll drop dead of old age or exhaustion. Once the casuals have selected their bands, (their teams, their horse) that's it, it's like those bands can do no wrong from that point on. Those fans will suffer through the slings and arrows of mediocrity and often even a fair number of stinky turds to stay loyal to that band, because they feel like they've made some kind of a pledge to them and it would be disloyal to abandon them as they're going through some rough times.

And it's not just the casuals. I've seen it time and time again when metalheads know damn well that band they liked back in the 80's or 90's hasn't released a good album in 2 or 3 decades, but they're still there on release day each time hoping maybe the new one will be the one they've been waiting for that'll bring their heroes back to relevance and possibly even recapture some small fraction of their former glory. Just like a sports fan saying "This will be the year we'll win the cup!" when they know their team hasn't won a cup in 2 or 3 decades and they have all the same players back that lost last year.  How else could you explain anyone listening to Saint Anger, or Nostradamus, or Super Collider, or No Prayer for the Dying more than once? They were trying to convince themselves that their beloved heavy metal heroes still had another run at the cup left in them.

Whereas we serious and sophisticated music fans who are aware of many more bands are generally much more likely to be able to recognize when our favorite bands have had a good run and we can also pinpoint exactly where the quality falls off. And then after 2 or maybe 3 sub-standard albums most of us will lose interest in the new albums and forget to notice when they're going to drop because we've turned our attentions elsewhere. I don't care how much I like a band, if they give me two shit albums in a row then I'm out, I'm done. I won't bother to check out any of their subsequent albums anymore. Because if by some miracle lightning strikes and they ever come back from the dead and do something worth listening to again, I figure someone will probably be kind enough to let me know. 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:19 AM, CumBloodSucker said:

Yes and no. If there ever comes a spark to write a Bolt thrower record they should feel free to do so, but I guess when you are a career band, things work out little differently. Guys like Werwolf understand this. He doesn't put out all his work under the name Satanic warmaster. Instead there is many projects of which some though could be under Satanic warmaster. But that is the freedom of underground business.

That's what Bolt Thrower actually did do...they basically only put out an album if they felt it was at least as good as the last album, which is why nothing happened after "Those Once Loyal" despite them supposedly having plenty of material written. They only actually broke up after their drummer died.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It sounds like you're more a fan of albums than of bands! Perfect thread for it.

But yeah. The goatkeeper is right, that's exactly what I meant. I know a bunch of people like this. The people who will take every new album by their favorites to the grave and maybe get personally offended if you say you aren't into it. It's a lot like sports, it's an identity thing, it has nothing to do with creativity. 

40 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

If you guys had the good creative sports over there and superior athletes like we do over here in the colonies (instead of just cricket and footy) then you'd change your tune PDQ Jon-O Blade. Boneheaded stupidity ppfftt. It is possible to be a casual sports fan and not take the stupidity to boneheaded levels you know. 

.....How else could you explain anyone listening to Saint Anger, or Nostradamus, or Super Collider, or No Prayer for the Dying more than once? They were trying to convince themselves that their beloved heavy metal heroes still had another run at the cup left in them.

Please provide an example of a "creative" sport. Figure skating? I never would have known you were into it, but each to their own. I suppose there was that cool routine in the '84 Winter Olympics set to Inquisition.

Growing up in my land "footy" was rugby. Here in Blighty I presume it is soccer. Neither are creative in the way I define creativity. Although it takes skill no doubt. Sport is based on rules, which are anathema to creativity. Every great band there ever was broke one rule or another to present something new and different to the world.

Taking a random example, Venom would be the opposite of sport - high creativity/no skill.

Speaking of this band/album fan topic, I have been listening a lot to Russian Circles - Gnosis (although hard to know if supporting Russian Circles is politically correct. Like those goddamn un-aMurican boys in Anthrax around 9/11). I am delighted to see that Russian Circles have an abundance of old albums to check out, but I'm not in a hurry.  So, am I a fan of the band or the album? Such existential crises will send me to an early grave.

BTW, Nostradamus - the last troo Priest album. Yes it was unlistenable even for most boneheaded fans, but I can handle the trooth.

I harbour no delusions and am no longer a first day buyer of any new album from any classic-era band except, unsurprisingly, Judas Priest. It defies logic but, being a music fan or a sports fan, fundamentally defies logic. Neither sustains life. You can't eat or fuck a band or sports team (well...), nor does a band or sports team carry your genetic material which qualifies it for some level of care and nurturing. 

One day soon it will be a moot point because Judas Priest will end. I guess a part of me will die that day, even if they are 30 years beyond their best before date. Kind of like that old girlfriend you could never quite get over. Even after all these years you'd still walk through fire for that bitch.

28 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

BTW, Nostradamus - the last troo Priest album. Yes it was unlistenable even for most boneheaded fans, but I can handle the twoof.

No Jon, that would be Defenders of the Faith. Nothing after that was worth $10 of my hard earned money, although I did buy that Angel of Retribution album whenever that was.

The sports/music fandom thing isn't really a one to one parallel. By that understanding every game of chess would be a work of art. There are definitely creative strategies often employed in all manner of games, but the creativity there is of a different ken and stems entirely from finding victory in a way not typically seen, but still falls within the confines of the game rules. Now creating a game itself is very much an artistic feat which utilizes the imagination of the creator. In that sense playing a sport is less a creative act that may or may not disregard the confines of structure set forth by the game, but instead embraces that structure in an unorthodox manner. It has to define itself within the rules or it can't function at all. You'd end up asking yourself the question 'At what point does this cease to be baseball/backgammon/what have you?' To quote the master storyteller Bill Waterson himself "Sooner or later all our games turn into Calvinball."

4 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The sports/music fandom thing isn't really a one to one parallel. By that understanding every game of chess would be a work of art. There are definitely creative strategies often employed in all manner of games, but the creativity there is of a different ken and stems entirely from finding victory in a way not typically seen, but still falls within the confines of the game rules. Now creating a game itself is very much an artistic feat which utilizes the imagination of the creator. In that sense playing a sport is less a creative act that may or may not disregard the confines of structure set forth by the game, but instead embraces that structure in an unorthodox manner. It has to define itself within the rules or it can't function at all. You'd end up asking yourself the question 'At what point does this cease to be baseball/backgammon/what have you?' To quote the master storyteller Bill Waterson himself "Sooner or later all our games turn into Calvinball."

No one's suggesting it's a one to one parallel. Few analogies ever are. The theory has just been floated by our father (and I concur) that the fanatical way in which some of us have witnessed what I'll call the unwashed masses (for lack of a better phrase) embrace their sports teams. (or a solo athelete) They buy tickets to go see them perform, fly around the country to catch their games, wear their merch and live and die with them every time they win or lose, and stick with them no matter how bad they get. It's not completely unlike the way we've seen some of the unwashed masses embrace a rock or metal band and buy tickets to see them play, fly around the country to catch their concerts, wear their merch and buy their albums and support them no matter what they release, no matter how bad it gets. Some people obviously enjoy this fandom, whether it's a band or a team or a religious sect it makes little difference. They need something to get behind, something to stand for, and for many their favorite team or their favorite band can become a huge part of their identity. I don't mean people like us who usually crave a wider variety of music and don't want to hang our hats on just one or two specific bands. But outside these walls where the normies and casuals roam you will see people like this.

There was this dude we knew 30 years ago when I was renting the downstairs of this house from '90 to '93, Joe. He was just some long haired kid who had no car so he'd walk the 1.5 miles into town daily to get food and whatever else he needed from the shops, and we just happened to live about halfway. He noticed as he walked by 4 times a day that some long haired dudes lived in our house, and so one day he thought he'd stop in and have a sit to catch his breath because he was asthmatic. So then every day when I'd get home from work he'd be sitting on my couch. Steve didn't work, he was my best friend since high school and at that time my full time live-in babysitter because I was a single dad of a widdle baby in the early 90's. So he and Joe became friends. We were 30-ish, Joe ws 20-ish. I used to call him Ugly Kid Joe. He wasn't ugly, but he said he liked that band one time which of course I had to give him shit for. He liked some metal but he wasn't interested in listening to a lot of different shit like we were, or the real heavy stuff (Paradise Lost Shades of God was too heavy for him) he just had a few certain bands he worshipped. I can't remember all of them, but Maiden, Nirvana and the Misfits were 3 of them. Nirvana could have been a passing phase, Nevermind had just broken them into the bigtime on MTV. We got him into Overkill too, this was when Horrorscope had just come out and he was head over heels for it, used to come give us lengthy monologues about how Horrscope was the most incredible metal album he'd ever heard and clearly the best Overkill album. I remember having lengthy stoned debates with Joe about Horrorscope vs Taking Over, Metallica vs Megastaine, and about Peace Sells vs Rust in Peace.

Fast forward 30 years to 2023 Steve shows me a FB post of now 52 year old Joe's, he'd posted a pic showing off his new Misfits tattoo. I was like "The Fucking Misfits?!?" Steve says he still goes to see Maiden and gets all excited every time they come around. He doesn't work he gets a disability check, and he had subsisted on nothing but peanut butter sandwiches for 2 months just to afford tickets to see the MIsfits and to afford to get the tattoo in time for the show. He's still in thrall to the same handful of bands he was 30 years ago. These are his bands and he doesn't want or need any new bands. I think he thinks we're just playfully razzing him when we tell him Maiden and the Misfits can all suck each other's cocks for all we care. Doesn't make sense in his brain that anyone into metal or punk would not worship the same handful of bands he does. 

Can't find the tattoo pic but I found this one on Ugly Kid Joe's FB page of his pilgrimage to MSG to see the Misfits. 

No photo description available.

Joe back in the 90's. The Monte was early 80's.

From Steve's FB page this is me and Steve in 1985, I'm the one on the left who doesn't have his arm around the ugly girl. 

Steve holding my infant daughter 1990

Steve, me and my 6 month old son Valkan at my daughter's wedding 2014. Last time I wore a suit.

Also from my daughter's wedding...

My grandkids. Not the blonde kid in the Beast Mode shirt, just the other 3.

Cool family Goat. I've known people like Joe before, and I think a lot of their fanaticism is born from a right place right time scenario. It's sort of like when you'll hear people lament that they can't go back and play X video game or watch X movie for the first time again. At least with that, though, people seem to have the self awareness that those experiences are fleeting. What gets me is the lack of curiosity once you've had that experience. Even with the understanding that you'll never have X for the first time again, how can you not feel the need to delve deeper? I guess ultimately it's harmless, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't weird me out on occasion. It's made all the stranger to me because our consciousness can bear incredible amounts of imaginative weight. If it was a case of a high volume stock trader, or shit even having more than three or four children to where the pure constraints of limited time would prevent a deeper look into a hobby then I get it. If no such constraint exists, what gives?

I'm fully aware that I will never have an experience even remotely similar to reading the complete works of Kafka as a young man struggling beneath the same sort inescapable and suffocating 'walls closing in around you' feeling so many of his main characters suffer beneath. It just won't happen, but you can bet that after reading him multiple times I sought out authors like Gunter Grass and Kobo Abe, and eventually discovered Beckett, Pynchon, and a whole world of life-informing experiences that had existed underneath my own nose my entire life. Some people don't have that instinct, I guess.

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My metal listening is easilly 3 or 4 to 1 black metal (or blackened) over death metal.

...Except for early Obituary of course, and the first 3 Death albums are very good.... Grave, The Chasm, Bolt Thrower, Incantation, Purtenance, Vomitory, Obituary, Imprecation, Autopsy. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone important. 

Then of the more recent bands formed within the last 15 - 20 years which I spend much more time listening to, some of my favorites would be: Father Befouled, Of Feather and Bone, Cadaveric Incubator, Invultation, Internal Rot, Chapel of Disease, Dead Congregation, Undergang, Temple of Void, Desecresy, Lie in Ruins, Coffins, Funebrarum....I could list more if you want but I think you get the idea.

You're trying to tell me that these bands aren't death metal enough to suit you? On what grounds sir? Why don't you tell me some of your favorite death metal bands and explain to me why they're "more" death metal than my favorite bands. I would really like to know where I went wrong. (this oughta be good for a chuckle)

Actually I am not going by these statements of "I like bands X and albums Y" but rather on what you post you are listening to which is extensive and I assume close to your general listening patterns and also by thimgs you praise.

Very rarely do you state you listen to DM and even in this post do you admit its mainly BM.  

Saying "I like Bolt Thrower" and then never listing Bolt Thrower in your play lists is not really being a Bolt Thrower fan.  Actually I do remember you sledging Those Once Loyal back on the old Metal-Fi forum for being too soft (oh and sledging modern Obitiary too).

Eg I listen to Queen once in a blue moon and I really repsect them for their talent but I would not say I am a Queen fan.  

It is kind of like calling acquaintances friends even if you never really see them except at someone else's social gatherings. 

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Actually I am not going by these statements of "I like bands X and albums Y" but rather on what you post you are listening to which is extensive and I assume close to your general listening patterns and also by thimgs you praise.

Very rarely do you state you listen to DM and even in this post do you admit its mainly BM.  

Saying "I like Bolt Thrower" and then never listing Bolt Thrower in your play lists is not really being a Bolt Thrower fan.  Actually I do remember you sledging Those Once Loyal back on the old Metal-Fi forum for being too soft (oh and sledging modern Obitiary too).

Eg I listen to Queen once in a blue moon and I really repsect them for their talent but I would not say I am a Queen fan.  

It is kind of like calling acquaintances friends even if you never really see them except at someone else's social gatherings. 

You're getting what I post confused with what I've been listening to. As we recently discussed I listen to a lot of music, 8 or 10 hours a day. Occasionally less, but often even more than that. Obviously I don't post everything I listen to or even half of it here on the board. It's after 11pm here currently and I've posted a total of 4 albums on the board so far today. But I've actually listened to a lot more than 4. I'm not always sitting at my computer you know. If I'm doing something else and I'm not in this chair and I'm listening to music (which I most likely am) it's almost always stuff I already own and enjoy enough to have loaded onto my phone. I'm much more inclined to post newer stuff from the current year or recent years here on the board as I assume many of us here are looking for recos and ideas for new shit to listen to.

But there are heaps of older metal "classics" such as Bolt Thrower and Overkill and Obituary and Sabbath and Slayer and Motorhead and Celtic Frost and Bathory and Candlemass and Exciter and 100 other bands as well as all those other death metal bands I mentioned in my post last night as being among my favorites that I assume anyone here who'd be interested is already well aware of. I really don't feel like I need to bring Bolt Thrower's For Victory or Obituary's Cause of Death to everyone's attention "Hey fellas look what I found!" like it's some amazing new discovery. I have tons of favorites I listen to weekly or every other week or at least mothly that I don't often bother to post here because I'm generally not going to post the same album multiple times over and over. That'd be overkill.

Even if I'm listening to something fairly new I'm not gonna keep posting it every single time I listen to it over and over if I've already posted it within the last couple of weeks. Because I do that, I'll often get infatuated with allbums, they could be new ones or they could be old familiar favorites, and I'll find I want to listen to them a bunch of times over the space of a few days til I get it out of my system. Not gonna post them every single time like I'm some dumbass who can't remember that he just posted something yesterday or the other day or just this morning.

I'm truly sorry my friend that you don't have as much free time as you might like for listening to music. I know how that feels when you work all the time and have family responsibilities that leave you with little "me time" for music and gaming or whatever you might do with your me time. This is how I turned into the guy who stays up real late to all hours and learned to function on 2 or 3 hours sleep, because if I can't listen to music I'll go crazy. If I can't find the time to squeeze it in during 'normal' waking hours then I'll borrow time from my allotted sleep period so I can rock out in peace while everyone else is sleeping. Yeah it sucked balls going to work on 2 hours sleep sometimes, but yet the next night I'd always do the same thing. And the night after that too. I need the music.

Would you like me to take notes and start keeping track and then email you a report of every single thing I've listened to and how many times each week? Yeah it'd probably be a lot of black metal usually which I know you don't really appreciate, but this time of year June-July-August in the warm weather I do find myself wanting to listen to a lot more death metal than usual. It is my 2nd favorite sub-genre after black metal after all. And then there's crust, which is way back in 3rd place. Summertime is prime crust season as well. I still listen to black metal all year long but in the wintertime that's when my listening is totally dominated by black metal. 

For the record, I've never "sledged" Those Once Loyal for being 'soft' that must have been someone else. Great album. But my favorite Bolt Thrower albums by far thatget the most spins are For Victory and 4th Crusade.

I do admit my Obituary listening is dominated by Cause of Death, Slowly We Rot, and World Demise. I liked their latest one quite a bit but as you know I hated the S/T before that. But I really don't pay too much attention to the 6 that came after World Demise. Because I'm a fan of albums, not bands.

21 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I think tribalism is a strong in all aspects of consumer culture be it music or phones/tech or things like Star Wars/Star Trek.

Humans need to feel like they are part of something and religion, political ideology and nationalism doesn't quite cut it compared to being a Metallica fanboy or Star Wars fan or whatever.

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I won't drone on with my take on how pointless and boring basketball is. Yep, skilful, but so is darts...

The only thing wrong with darts is that it's not a contact sport. It's a game. If teams were throwing the darts at each other and trying to knock the darts out of each other's hands and throwing elbows then that might be a 'sport' worth watching.

But obviously we're all products of our environments and we're most likely to be partial to the sports that we're used to in our own countries of origin because we grew up playing them as kids. I remember when I was in Australia how weird it seemed watching little kids in the park playing cricket with little plastic wickets and plastic bats in much the way kids over here play wiffleball (baseball but with a hollow plastic ball and a hollow plastic bat safer for little kids) and of course football and basketball willl always be popular (like rugby over there) because the only gear you need to bring is the ball.

What's really pointless though is trashing other country's sports. Because if we'd been born in that country that's what we'd be used to playing. No one's gonna force you to watch basketball Doc. But if you'd ever played it you'd understand why it's become so popuar over here. You can say it's pointless, but it's no more or less pointless than any other sport where people run back and forth and try to score more points than their opponents. Having played both as a kid I can tell you basketball is a lot more fun than soccer which is actually fairly popular over here for kids as well. Unless you just suck at it and can't shoot th ball, then it's probably not much fun.

Not too many Americans play rugby because no one over here understands the fucking rules. I understand the basic rules to a point, but not fully, not the finer points. And it's all in the details innit. We do have leagues and stuff for amateurs but I think it's mostly played by people from other coutries who grew up playing rugby.

But the gentleman from New Zealand asked me to give him an example of a sport with creativity so I did. You can hate B-ball all you want but you can't deny at the professional level they are quite creative and athletic. Like high speed midair ballet of 250 pound 6'9" dudes really. 

As the stereotypical mad Australian I’m compelled to give my two cents. Basketball is a good, but not the best, example of creativity in sport. As for the topic I tend to feel the same about many albums I.e Rhadamantys’ Labyrinth of Thought is great but their other album is meh. For me to consider myself a fan of any particular band that discography needs to be exceptionally strong,  see Inquisition, Evoken, or Death.ports nalright, I’m fight, where exactly is the metal in slipknot or trivium? I did it now.

23 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

where exactly is the metal in slipknot or trivium? 

The same place it is in early In Flames, Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity for early Trivium and the same place it is for early Florida DM, thrash and 1990s groove metal for Slipknot.

Note I don't like either band except a couple of Slipknot songs.