Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

we have great seafood in Australia' date=' It's phenomenal really but what do you expect from a nation surrounded on all sides by ocean[/quote'] If Britain is any indication, I'd expect ironically self-depreciating humor given the strange need for constant self-affirmation by comparison to other nations, all due to being economically surpassed by a nation allegedly populated by brain-dead sentient fat blobs. :D

Re: favourite food/drinks/restuarants

ooh ouch' date=' no Iceman the fact that Australia was colonised by the British in no way means we behave like them.[/quote'] Nah you don't cos you're twats :D Jokes aside, what's so bad about the British eh? xD and what do we 'behave' like, you can't generalize a whole population, I could say that America is all fat fucks and annoying pricks (which isn't what I think but what many idiots may think here), but that won't do any good. Right well I'm off to drink tea and worship the queen.

I made a comment about the high quality seafood available in Australia with a little patriotic spin, Iceni responded by applying the stereotypical American idea of the British to a country colonised by the British and I simply stated that the Australian stereotype is vastly different

I like fish a lot as well, here we don't have such big varieties but we eat some little fried fishes as fingerfood, usually when I show it to someone that comes from a different part of the world he/she is disgusted but they end up enjoying it. and it goes perrrrrfect with beer. It's a little sea fish called tzatza in bulgarian, here it is: vb_3cfd2e965e36db59d856b44ebb8478dc.jpg

Iceni responded by applying the stereotypical American idea of the British
Rubbish, the actual American stereotype is to worship the ground that the redcoats walk on. The assumption here is that you're a group of scarf-wearing Time Lords with a 'license to kill' and play Quidditch in your spare time. I wouldn't stereotype English colonies that way, because then I'd have to lump South Africa and the US in as well and that simply wouldn't do. Almost nobody in this country actually dislikes British people, not even the Irish-Americans or Scotch-Americans. By contrast, nobody likes the French (except maybe in Louisiana), a group of people who actually helped make sure the US got independence in the first place.

Rubbish, the actual American stereotype is to worship the ground that the redcoats walk on. The assumption here is that you're a group of scarf-wearing Time Lords with a 'license to kill' and play Quidditch in your spare time. I wouldn't stereotype English colonies that way, because then I'd have to lump South Africa and the US in as well and that simply wouldn't do. Almost nobody in this country actually dislikes British people, not even the Irish-Americans or Scotch-Americans. By contrast, nobody likes the French (except maybe in Louisiana), a group of people who actually helped make sure the US got independence in the first place.
I don't get all the anti-french sentiment in this country. It could just be that by and large, they're too progressive for us, and enjoy the finer things in life that we still have a more puritanical outlook on. They also take tons of vacation time and work a standard 35 hour work week, so maybe we're jealous. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

oh French food...kingdom of potatoes, cheese, lard cubes and cream in different configurations. I still wonder how I didn't gain weight there.So much drinking and so much eating...But one thing is sure-that in France they pay a lot of attention to the origins of the food they consume. Dunno about America :) And I think French people are hated more or less everywhere, just like Italians, yet I've never lived in a better place than Caen, Basse Normandie :)Dreamy dreamy me:)

I don't get all the anti-french sentiment in this country. It could just be that by and large' date=' they're too progressive for us, and enjoy the finer things in life that we still have a more puritanical outlook on. They also take tons of vacation time and work a standard 35 hour work week, so maybe we're jealous.[/quote'] Nah, that's giving the critics too much credit. France didn't support the invasion of Iraq and they got a nasty beating in World War II, despite the Vichy being Nazi sympathizers. I think those are the two criticisms most Americans if pressed would level against France. Speaking of which, I really want some Cajun food now that I'm in the South at the moment. I think I might enjoy it.

Nah, that's giving the critics too much credit. France didn't support the invasion of Iraq and they got a nasty beating in World War II, despite the Vichy being Nazi sympathizers. I think those are the two criticisms most Americans if pressed would level against France. Speaking of which, I really want some Cajun food now that I'm in the South at the moment. I think I might enjoy it.
It's hard to say that the French took a beating in WWII when they never fought a battle. They could just as easily have fought and lost (at that point they could not match Germany's military superiority) and suffered many casualties and had their beautiful countryside and cities torn apart, so perhaps they made the right choice. It's also hard to argue that they made the right choice in not supporting our unwarranted invasion of Iraq, as we got the egg on our face when those "weapons of mass destruction" weren't really there. We're still wasting a ton of money over there trying to rebuild their infrastructure that we helped destroy, while they're laughing at our insolence.

It's hard to say that the French took a beating in WWII when they never fought a battle. They could just as easily have fought and lost (at that point they could not match Germany's military superiority) and suffered many casualties and had their beautiful countryside and cities torn apart' date=' so perhaps they made the right choice.[/quote'] Yes and no. Yes, it was right of them to sue for peace (at least in the north), but they did in fact fight several battles with Nazi Germany before surrendering. More importantly they actually had better equipment - the Char B1 was unparalleled among early tanks, even if it was a bit slow - but an overconfident army, fresh from their victory in World War I and the Versailles treaty conditions. Germany tried their best and won because they had the better army. Back to the topic: Logan's road house is actually quite good despite their hickish atmosphere.

Yes and no. Yes, it was right of them to sue for peace (at least in the north), but they did in fact fight several battles with Nazi Germany before surrendering. More importantly they actually had better equipment - the Char B1 was unparalleled among early tanks, even if it was a bit slow - but an overconfident army, fresh from their victory in World War I and the Versailles treaty conditions. Germany tried their best and won because they had the better army. Back to the topic: Logan's road house is actually quite good despite their hickish atmosphere.
At least they acknowledged it as a losing battle before wasting too much time/money/life, as opposed to us with Vietnam. As soon as they marched through the Arc de Triumph, they surrendered. Even we didn't have a better military than the Germans, if it wasn't for their infrastructure falling apart and a few crucial losses (the sinking of the Bismarck), we wouldn't have won the war. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2