Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

well when I say local I mean Australian
We have to do that here in New Mexico because the only two things that are notable about this state are the Albuquerque balloon festival (every bit as boring as it sounds) and the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which means that were we to secede from the union we would have the second largest nuclear arsenal in the world. \m/ There are some local NM bands, most notably Ultimatum, but for the most part local means 'in the general area of the bordering states'. Had some baked potatoes this evening with bacon bits and butter, which were nice.

my state can boast more impressive achievements for example the best quality seafood in Australia and some of the highest quality beef in Australia but when it comes to beer sadly we only have two local breweries one is Coopers and they are actually decent but the other is West End which deeply saddens me. South Australia (my state) can also boast the two most successful sporting clubs in Australian sport the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Port Adelaide Hockey club (that's field hockey).

Re: favourite food/drinks/restuarants

my state can boast more impressive achievements for example the best quality seafood in Australia and some of the highest quality beef in Australia but when it comes to beer sadly we only have two local breweries one is Coopers and they are actually decent but the other is West End which deeply saddens me. South Australia (my state) can also boast the two most successful sporting clubs in Australian sport the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Port Adelaide Hockey club (that's field hockey).
I've only had Cooper's stout, and it was decent, a bit like a less flavorful Guinness extra stout. Surprisingly, we have a number of local breweries in Utah, some of which are actually decent. For the Western US though, it seems that the best breweries are in the Northwest (Northern CA, OR, and WA) and in Colorado. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

we have breweries scattered all around Australia' date=' some are better then others, wish I could say the same of our rum but it's of terrible quality. Apparently South Australia is world-renowned for its wine but as I don't drink wine I wouldn't know[/quote'] We have a handful of breweries in New Mexico as well, in fact in White Rock we know someone who owns a wine shop and makes their own wine as well. Vodka too. They're out in Pajarito Acres, which is kind of like the New Mexican equivalent of wine country. There's a great part of Cape Town called the Wynroot that's also through wine country and looks great.

why does reheated pasta always taste so bland? Seriously not cool
No idea. Reheated pasta is fine with me. Even reheated pizza is OK, but it needs to be of good quality. The one food that really sucks in terms of tastiness half-life is french fries. They never, ever taste good when heated up again, the texture just dies and they're these gross wibbly sticks of blandness.

Reheated pasta is bleh because the freshly boiled one isn't all soaked while the one that stayed for a while in its juices goes all soaked and bleh. Same happens to cereals-you need to eat them quickly otherwise they get too soggy :) I usually have a principle to buy and to cook for one meal only. It is the same with pasta. Like this I avoid throwing away stuff.

BAN that's why you don't ever reheat chips or potato in general especially gnocci that's awful reheated
Depending on the potatoes in question, the detrimental effects of reheating can be avoided partially. My mother makes this particular recipe of seasoned potatoes with rosemary and salt that still tastes awesome after one reheats it. Baked potato, however, is terrible from the get-go so it just gets worse.

you gotta be doing it wrong man baked potato is awesome with cheese and sour cream' date=' damn now I'm getting hungry[/quote'] Never had a good baked potato...not on its own merits anyway. It doesn't help that I hate sour cream. I think it's the skin I object to, I don't mind it on chopped potatoes or larger fries but on a baked potato it just ruins everything. Speaking of which, some genius apparently decided that cafeterias need to make all fries unsalted, so that the students can 'put salt on them later'. But the salt needs to soak in to the fries, which it can only do while they're being cooked or right after they've been hauled out of the oil. Trust me, it was part of my job for a while.

I like a baked potato thrown directly in the embers of a fire :) Without sour cream or anything, it's tasty and smells great :) Boiled potatoes are also fine reheated. My granny has a recipe for baked potatoes with savory n other herbs as well, but I can never make them right the same way. Mine taste ok as well but my granny does magic there!:)

I like a baked potato thrown directly in the embers of a fire :)
And I'd leave it there. On the plus side, I like the Ruffles Loaded Baked Potato flavor chips. There's a Salisbury steak that my restaurant serves that I might want to try sometimes, could be nice. I may as well, it's not a massive dent to my wallet. There's a lot on the menu I could explore, so maybe I'll give that a go sometime.

BAN that's why you don't ever reheat chips or potato in general especially gnocci that's awful reheated
I'm hoping that you were referring to banning Iceni, because I certainly didn't make that comment. Potatoes do tend to be terrible reheated, the problem being that they're a bit dry to begin with, and every time you reheat something it dries out more.
Depending on the potatoes in question' date=' the detrimental effects of reheating can be avoided partially. My mother makes this particular recipe of seasoned potatoes with rosemary and salt that still tastes awesome after one reheats it. Baked potato, however, is terrible from the get-go so it just gets worse.[/quote'] Pretty much the only potatoes that I can eat reheated are mashed potatoes, simply because having them mashed and cooked with butter ensures that they won't get dry and crusty upon being reheated, like every other kind of potato. Baked potatoes can be dry and without much flavor, but they're a blank palette that you need to add to. I hate sour cream myself, but still use butter, chives, salt, pepper, cheese, ham/bacon, etc... all can make a baked potato awesome. As to your point about the skin though, that might be for the best, as new evidence points to the skin of potatoes when baked or fried (but not steamed or boiled) releasing a carcinogen that isn't good for you.

I agree. I love those. So so so much. And chicken wings. But I eat them rarely as it'll ruin my stomach
Ah, praise the Lord, a foreigner who actually likes American food! Although I suppose it'd be hard to find someone who'd turn their nose up to a good hamburger. My dad is funny, he actually enjoys watermelon and fried chicken, he runs and he's actually from South Africa. Fits a lot of stereotypes usually attached to black people. More than once he's considered registering his ethnicity as African-American.

beer battered oinion rings are to die for
I love them too, I could eat onion rings almost anytime. Then again, I can eat onions almost anytime and with nearly anything in general, one of my favorite foods. The pub called The Rookery that we had some beers at before the Bolt Thrower show in CA had IPA battered onion rings on their menu, but we had just eaten not long before we got there, so we didn't try them. However, we did have some delicious beers on tap, including these: Sea Monster Imperial Stout - Ballast Point Brewing Company - San Diego, CA - BeerAdvocate Sculpin IPA - Ballast Point Brewing Company - San Diego, CA - BeerAdvocate