Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

You think that's bad, you should try Cheesymite. It's only Vegemite mixed with cheese, which is usually a good combination, but when they put it in a jar together at the factory it tastes terrible. Still not as bad as the ill fated Vegemite 2.0 which lasted about a week before it was removed from the shelves.

45 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

You think that's bad, you should try Cheesymite. It's only Vegemite mixed with cheese, which is usually a good combination, but when they put it in a jar together at the factory it tastes terrible. Still not as bad as the ill fated Vegemite 2.0 which lasted about a week before it was removed from the shelves.

Cheesymite is disgusting and should not exist. I never tried the Vegemite 2.0

These days I eat the 40% salt reduced Vegemite. Side-to-side with the original you can tell the difference, but once you use it alone you can't.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:15 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Porterhouse steaks with chimichurri, crispy fried onions, garlic and thyme mushrooms, and sweet potato fries cost in a little bit of garlic salt.

I've tried, but I just can't get into chimichurri. It's the vinegar I guess. I've nver made it from scratch but the few times I've tried it the vinegar was overpowering. Without the vinegar I suppose it would be more of a pesto, just made with parsley and cilantro instead of basil. Maybe I should try a steak with pesto. 

And what's with those crispy fried onions? They opened a burger place near me last year with the horrible name of Cow Patty's. I tried it once, they would not make my burger with sauted onions, they only had those crispy onion strips on the menu. I said well you must have onions in the house, so couldn't you just make mine the way I want? They refused. Needless to say I never went back. 

It's whisky night at the vicarage. Completely missed the email. Hopefully they won't be offended by my t shirt with sacred blood divine lies on the back. 😉 Should be fun. Taking some 10 year old highland park. They normally have some good single malt scotch. Oban or cambletown I've liked before. My wife says as long as you don't black out your ok

Takoyaki or "Octopuss balls" are made from a batter of wheat flour and dashi stock, similar to okonomiyaki (whatever the fuck that is) and cooked in a custom cast-iron pan that gives them their signature shape. Each ball contains a piece or two of cooked octopus, crunchy tempura scraps (tenkasu), green onions, and beni shoga (pickled red ginger).

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that judging by this woman's facial expression Octopuss' balls do taste better than smoked Father A. Depending of course on what sauce you were to serve with him. The dry rub is important to the flavor too, but the sauce (lightly brushed on during the last 30 minutes of smoking) can really make or break a smoked Lowellian.

What is Takoyaki? All About the Delicious Japanese Octopus Balls! | LIVE  JAPAN travel guide

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Takoyaki or "Octopuss balls" are made from a batter of wheat flour and dashi stock, similar to okonomiyaki (whatever the fuck that is) and cooked in a custom cast-iron pan that gives them their signature shape. Each ball contains a piece or two of cooked octopus, crunchy tempura scraps (tenkasu), green onions, and beni shoga (pickled red ginger).

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that judging by this woman's facial expression Octopuss' balls do taste better than smoked Father A. Depending of course on what sauce you were to serve with him. The dry rub is important to the flavor too, but the sauce (lightly brushed on during the last 30 minutes of smoking) can really make or break a smoked Lowellian.

What is Takoyaki? All About the Delicious Japanese Octopus Balls! | LIVE  JAPAN travel guide

And since the pandemic put a stop to my Japanese holiday getting a little taste of what I could have enjoyed here at home was the next best thing. I’m just really bad at trying to spell the proper Japanese names for all those fishes.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:47 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

December 2nd, 2018 Marmite vs Vegemite vs Tesco Yeast Extr… | Flickr

Blechh.

Well done for tracking this picture down. 

Have you tried one of these delicious yeast extracts on toast?

Is peanut butter and jam sandwiches an American equivalent as I don't know many people who like this combination. Most Brits I know only like jam sandwiches. A few call peanut butter and jam sandwiches vile which I think is  a bit over the top. A shit sandwich would be vile.😉

On 7/5/2022 at 10:43 PM, Thatguy said:

You can see how much more naturally the Vegemite embraces and enhances the surface of the toast. Yum.

And Tesco Yeast Extract? Fuck me dead, they are having a laugh.

What's wrong with Tesco yeast extract.  It's fantastic. Your only jealous you can't import it.also you could get your kid to get some when he's in London. 😉

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Well done for tracking this picture down. 

Have you tried one of these delicious yeast extracts on toast?

Is peanut butter and jam sandwiches an American equivalent as I don't know many people who like this combination. Most Brits I know only like jam sandwiches. A few call peanut butter and jam sandwiches vile which I think is  a bit over the top. A shit sandwich would be vile.😉

The peanut butter and jelly monster: Dávila Ortiz, Rebeca: 9781671749245:  Amazon.com: Books

Well no Sweets, it's not quite the equivalent, pb&J sammies are something people pack in their kid's lunch. But I wouldn't eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich either. That's nasty, and it's basically just for kids. Don't remember eating very many of them even as a little kid, I ate luncheon meat sandwiches, turkey, salami, cheese, liverwurst and the like. Even my 8 year old doesn't ask for pb&j anymore. When he did he liked them deconstructed, peanut butter on one which he'd eat first, and then the jelly on the other. As an adult I don't have many uses for peanut butter, or jelly either for that matter, but I suppose as a toast topping either would be infinitely preferable to any fucking yeast extract. Seems our refined Doc doesn't like store brands, he holds out for the good stuff haha.

Cream Cheese Bagel - Belle Surf Cafe - Bagels in Lahaina, Maui

No, I believe our nearest American equivalent to yeast extract toast might be a bagel with cream cheese. Something my kid likes so I keep them in the house. But I don't eat much of myself because bagels are just carbs and I don't generally eat anything until well into the afternoon anyway. But if I were to eat a bagel, I'd have eggs and sausage and cheese on it, not cream cheese spread. 

But that's probably as close as we get 'cause Americans just don't generally eat lots of different junk 'on toast' like you Brits and the Commonwealthers seem to endlessly enjoy. We don't have crumpets either. There really is no direct equivalent to yeast extract toast here. Something I only know about because I used to make it for my Kiwi wife. She said I was the best at getting the exact right amount of her imported Marmite on there (not too much) and spreading it nice and evenly without ripping the bread. She had a hard time not ripping the bread.

But I'd never even heard about any of this yeast extract nonsense before I met her. Or maybe only in that song Land Down Under where the dude mentions vegemite sandwich. But I'd always assumed that it was some kind of veggie spread maybe mixed with cheese or something that you could make an actual sandwich out of. Never in a million years would I have guessed it was a tar-like salty yeast extract excrement.

So to answer your question Sweets, yes I have tried it. And after she died the two jars of that shit she had in the cabinet went straight into the bin.

Crumpets, piklets and fruit toast where the three items that were often short on my orders when I used to deliver bread. Crumpets I'd take home, but when you're delivering 600 packets every few days it wasn't hard to make them disappear. But on a cold winter morning when the bulk truck from the bakery arrives at midnight and there is still steam in the bags of fruit toast, pinching a loaf and eating in the truck over the 10-12 hours on the road was nearly the ultimate perk of the job. Of course the ultimate perk was swapping a few loaves for a weeks supply of milk, or a chrissie ham.