Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Bread and cheese in a sandwich press, a souvlaki press, anything that presses the bread together and heats whatever is between.

So using the press is important? I've never owned one of those. We yanks generally just make 'em in a frying pan and flip them over midway. This gives us two chances not to burn the bread.

They are essentially two different versions of the same thing, with the main difference being that the press squashes them together and cooks both sides at once. Squashing them together means if there is meat or other such ingredients as well the sandwich doesn't fall apart. For a souvlaki (or as some call it a doner kebab) it makes a difference because when done right it squashes and holds the wrap together so you can eat it with one hand.

Back in the 70's there used to be a press which I can't remember the name of that sealed the bread around the outside and through the middle leaving little pillows in the middle. The used to be great for making baked bean sandwiches. A sandwich press isn't quite that efficient but is today's cheap version of that.

Baked bean sandwiches?? That's just wrong. And that's coming from someone who unlike a lot of my fellow countrymen, I actually love baked beans.

We don't call them souvlakis or donner kebabs we call them Gyros. I get mine with feta cheese and ask them to cook the onions. Extra tzaziki on the side. And yes it is virtually impossible to eat them without getting the tzaziki sause and grease 'n shit all over yourself. I generally resort to cutiing them up with a knife and fork.

LOADED GYRO PITA SANDWICH!!

Why is it wrong? Baked beans on toast is a staple diet of many, making a toasted sanga out of it just makes it easier to eat.

Unofficially we call them Midnight Lamb Sandwiches because once upon a time not that long ago every second pub had a street vendor making them just down the road. After a skin full of piss, everyone would fall out of the pub at stumps and make their way down to the closest food van to get a Midnight Lamb Sanga (at 3am) to soak up all the booze and make the walk home easier.

1 minute ago, KillaKukumba said:

Why is it wrong? Baked beans on toast is a staple diet of many, making a toasted sanga out of it just makes it easier to eat.

"That's just wrong" is just an expression mate, don't take it personally, you're obviously free to eat whatever you like. Americans don't really eat (insert random food here) on toast. We do eat toast, and we do eat sandwiches, some of which get toasted, but most of us wouldn't just put any random thing on toast like baked beans. But then most Americans would never eat baked beans for brekkie anyway, although I sometimes do because it's a habit I picked up in NZ along with blistered tuh-mahtos. I realize the rest of the English speaking countries like to put all kinds of shit on toast, but it seems weird to us. In her final months my wife had me making stuff for her like avocado on toast, and tuh-mahto on toast, honey on toast, poached eggs on toast, and marmite on toast, but she was sick and could barely keep anything down so I didn't question any of it, I just gave her what she wanted.

I realise that, but baked beans and toast is the ultimate lazy meal, the only thing that makes it better is a bumnut on top, so it can't be wrong!!

I did however forget some of our tins used to have the Union Jack on them not the American flag so it stands to reason that it's something else we inherited from the silly Poms! Although having said that my grandmother was German and she thought baked beans was a fairly staple easy meal as far as the 30's when she painted the kitchen roof in baked beans having boiled the pot for too long and letting the can explode, apparently my dad and his brother did get lunch that day.

44 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I realise that, but baked beans and toast is the ultimate lazy meal, the only thing that makes it better is a bumnut on top, so it can't be wrong!!

I did however forget some of our tins used to have the Union Jack on them not the American flag so it stands to reason that it's something else we inherited from the silly Poms! Although having said that my grandmother was German and she thought baked beans was a fairly staple easy meal as far as the 30's when she painted the kitchen roof in baked beans having boiled the pot for too long and letting the can explode, apparently my dad and his brother did get lunch that day.

I don't know if most Aussies or Kiwis even realize just how much of your 'native' language and food you've actually inherited from the Brits. I hate the phrase 'Poms' and I won't use it. I'm not offended or anything, you can feel free to use it, I just won't. Although it is probably one of the very few slang phrases that you didn't inherit from them. If there's a commonly used Aussie & Kiwi phrase that both of your countries share, but we don't use here in the states, good bet it's probably English in origin.

And yes the English notoriously claim that their Heinz Beans are the best baked beans ever while our American beans are shit by comparison, even the ones that say "Heinz" on the label. I've never been to sunny England (sarcasm alert) or had an opportunity to eat their beans, so in all fairness I can't objectively compare the two. Seems to me a bean is a bean is a bean, but Idk maybe it's the sauce that makes all the difference? I drain as much of the sauce as possible out of the can and then put ketchup & hot sauce on them when they're on my plate. But never on top of my toast of course. I need the toast to be bean free in order to sop up the runny yolks. In fact I usually put the beans in their own separate bowl actually, they go from can to microwave to table.

All baked beans are shit whether British, Kiwi or American. Prove me wrong.

And yep, a lot of what we think is distinct about our language is British in origin -  but so is yours. Yours derived from a culturally and historically different source than ours.

And I don't use the word Pom myself, but it is always funny when you picture Barry Mackenzie shouting 'Pommy bastards.' If you don't know who Bazza Mackenzie was I know that you will research it, GG, so I will leave that to you.

Pom is now a term of endearment, we've always had to beat the Poms and they've always had to beat the convicts. And we pretty much did inherit it from the Brits given POME (Prisoner Of Mother England) or POHM (Prisoner Of His Majesty) was stitched on many of the convicts shirts before they set sail for our lovely brown land.

However considering we've got such a multi-cultural background and those cultures have been coming here since just after the Poms made Australia a dumping ground for crooks that I would suggest what we've actually inherited from the Poms is a lot less than many outside the country realise.

Asian's, mainly Chinese, have been arriving in this country since the early 1800's and many of them came as cooks and house staff, they cooked in the mines for both prisoners and officials. Even for the officials throwing around orders many did not understand the language and therefore brought their own customs with them. The German's came not long after bringing their knowledge of wines and fruit growing. The Maori's were here by the 1830's and by the 1850s we started seeing Pacific Islanders immigrating bringing their cultures. By the early 1900's some estimates put the number of nationalities permanently residing in Australia as high as 50 as we started settling many Yugoslavs, Greeks and Italians as well, all of which brought with them knowledge, culture and their own ethnicity. And none of that takes into account the 260 different tribal groups of Aborigines who also influenced our culture.

While those immigration numbers have always been higher from Britain, Europe overtook Britain after WWII and has been higher ever since. It is now getting harder and harder to actually find people here with pure British ancestry, I myself can go back to the 1700's and only have family who immigrated to England and my wife is the same.

So while it might look to an outsider that we have a huge British influence in all aspects of our life it's actually quite small and getting smaller as the years go on. We might have Baked Beans, Earl Grey Tea, Bangers and Mash and we apparently look to a Queen who doesn't reside here for our moral guidance but the British influence is more assumed that it is lived.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

All baked beans are shit whether British, Kiwi or American. Prove me wrong.

And yep, a lot of what we think is distinct about our language is British in origin -  but so is yours. Yours derived from a culturally and historically different source than ours.

And I don't use the word Pom myself, but it is always funny when you picture Barry Mackenzie shouting 'Pommy bastards.' If you don't know who Bazza Mackenzie was I know that you will research it, GG, so I will leave that to you.

You know for such a refined gentleman there are times I swear you don't know your arse from a hole in the ground Doc, baked beans are fucking delicious!

Naturally I realize that American English was derived from British English just like Australia's was and all the other English speaking countries as well. But what I don't understand is how or why we've gotten so much farther away in both our vowel pronunciations and vocabulary. British and Australian English is remarkably similar (from the perspective of an outsider) while our American English is quite different. Is it because we had a 150 year head start in developing our own dialect? Or because we had more outside influences on our language sooner than your mob did? Is it because we fought a war to officially divorce ourselves from our Pommy overlords? Is it because the Commonwealth countries make obtaining visas easier between them so there are more Aussies & Pommies migrating back and forth between sunny England and the land down under? What is it Doc??

And yes Doc, I now know who Bazza McKenzie is, although I'm sure I won't remember this useless info a year from now.

I think I have read that American English is close in pronunciation and vocabulary to the 18th century English dialects  it derived from. Australian English is founded on 19th century English and a lot of our slang started as criminal/prison slang for the obvious reason. We retained close links to Britain until relatively recently and there used to be a version of 'refined' Australian used by newsreaders that was distressingly close to the English 'Received Pronunciation.' It was truly horrible and is thankfully now deceased.

Here's a fun fact. In England society runs on class distinction. There are many ways of picking class, but accent is the chief and easiest one. When I worked in England one of my harmless pleasures was watching the confusion of the Englishman or woman as they tried to place me in my class while they listened to my dulcet Australian tones.

Like Bazza Mackenzie chundering on a pompous ass, that will always be funny.

Well I have heard it said that Australia is in some ways like England's Texas. I'm sure the Englishmen and women thought of you in much the way we northeasterners think of Texans. Which I suppose isn't all that different than the way Kiwis think of Aussies as well. Which is not to say that you're a bogan or a bumpkin or a yobbo or anything Doc because I know better. But I can clearly see how Aussie accents could lead unsuspecting Englishman to believe such nonsense.

But I think you hit it on the head when you said that Australia had retained close links to Britain until relatively recently. Canada has not had such close links to Britain for quite awhile now despite being part of the Commonwealth, and at this point Canucks don't sound British at all, they sound a lot like us Yanks. (except for the Quebecois of course) Many Canucks get mistaken for Yanks even by Americans. But if you're paying attention you can tell the difference, they make funny O sounds, they're ridiculously polite and they don't tend to walk around armed. 

Thank you for the little history lesson though Doc, I have always found the various English accents and dialects that are spoken around the world to be fascinating and I've always wanted to know more about how they all evolved so differently the way they did. Too late for me now but if I could do it all over again maybe I would have gone to college and studied something in that area. 

Bogan, bumpkin and yobbo! Only city folk really use bumpkin, but technically I'm all three and proud of it!

Although I can't be a true Aussie bogan because I never owned a Commodore or Falcon, however with neither being made here now the dual cab ute must surely be the bogan vehicle of choice and I've owned about 12 of those. And while my backyard is quite a bit bigger than the average Aussie bogan I do have at least one vehicle sitting on blocks, there is a pile of stuff containing items I'm not entirely sure about over near the shed and the grass is quite long in some areas.

On 3/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What makes you think you'll not like any of them? They're rock bands. Surely at least one of them would tickle your fancy.

So if you don't like black metal or death metal or hard rock then just exactly what kind of music do you like? Are you one of those 80's mainstream heavy metal only blokes?

I like best death/doom,doom , , Funeral doom stuff. Some selected black metal and thrash too. Bands like obituary, opeth, Mettalica,slayer, pallbearer,bell witch,slow, immortal, skepticism,wolves in the throne room,officium triste, jonestown,nixa vallenfyre,hamferd, abyssic,et moriemur etc.

Re mainstream 80s metal bands I like them enough to want to see them live and listen to them occasionally. Another reason I want to see these bands is they will just suddenly stop and I won't be able to see them. I'd have liked to see slayer but I put off seeing them a few times and now I can't. 

Magnum were much better live than on record. Bob Cattley's voice just seemed better, and the band was good. Only bad bit of gig was arm waving bits. That was a bit too bon Jovi for me.🙄bought a killer t shirt too. Bob cattleys daughter served me which was cool. 

I did listen to the bands you posted links for. Monster magnet was my favourite so far. Thanks for the links. I'd say there all rock. They'd play all those on planet rock(UK radio station) 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:18 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Bogan, bumpkin and yobbo! Only city folk really use bumpkin, but technically I'm all three and proud of it!

Although I can't be a true Aussie bogan because I never owned a Commodore or Falcon, however with neither being made here now the dual cab ute must surely be the bogan vehicle of choice and I've owned about 12 of those. And while my backyard is quite a bit bigger than the average Aussie bogan I do have at least one vehicle sitting on blocks, there is a pile of stuff containing items I'm not entirely sure about over near the shed and the grass is quite long in some areas.

Can’t be a True Bogan unless you exclusively drink BB, don’t forget that one…

29 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

A blue Bond's wife beater, faded to white Stubbies, a pair of double pluggers and a can of Bundy in a VB stubby holder. Sounds like we're off to Summernats!

Excuse me sir, now I'm no bogan myself and I'm not even an Aussie either obviously but I thought stubbies were what your mob called cans of beer? As in "crack a few stubbies" so then what do you mean by "faded to white Stubbies?" Is there an alternate meaning?

22 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Don’t forget the dirty mullet, they won’t let you in without one

Aren't there any bald bogans?

13 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Excuse me sir, now I'm no bogan myself and I'm not even an Aussie either obviously but I thought stubbies were what your mob called cans of beer? As in "crack a few stubbies" so then what do you mean by "faded to white Stubbies?" Is there an alternate meaning?

Stubbies were originally beer in a 375ml bottle and at the time one could distinguish a stubbie from any other form of drink by the brown glass. But these days when someone drinks a stubbie it can be either glass or a can, some even use the term for any beverage.

However a 'pair of Stubbies' is a pair of shorts, again these days it's a bit more of a collect-all term for work shorts, but the original Stubbies were made in 1972 as work shorts for men. They became very popular and a number of companies tried to own the name but now days the name is owned by the same mob who own a major share of the supermarket industry. They were functional and tough but at times could have revealed a little too much.

15 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Aren't there any bald bogans?

Yeah, but their wigs have probably fallen off.

It's one of those strange things. If you have a mullet you're a bogan no matter what else you wear or do. However if you are bald you need the Stubbies, double pluggers and can of Bundy to make sure people know you're a bogan.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:40 AM, KillaKukumba said:

Bread and cheese in a sandwich press, a souvlaki press, anything that presses the bread together and heats whatever is between

I'm making Bacon wrapped Chicken tonight. It's basically just chicken wrapped in bacon with a dry rub of herbs and spices over it and the herbs and spices kind of depend on what's in the pantry at the time.

That's a good idea. Herbs in a toasted sandwich Obvious really. 😋