Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RelentlessOblivion

advanced thrash metal

71 posts in this topic
To be fair Iron Reagan is decent BAN. Spamming is still not cool though.
That they may be, but I'll likely delay checking them out now because this dude thread crapped all over here.

That they may be' date=' but I'll likely delay checking them out now because this dude thread crapped all over here.[/quote'] Fair enough. And there's much better stuff to listen to anyway.

You know who got how to promote around here? Outliar. Made contributions in addition to promoting their groove/thrash stuff which was decent if not original. Wonder what happened to them.

I'm done, all the major recs threads are fixed, fellow mods I leave it to you now. Any other recs threads with busted video links are your job to fix.

I didn't realize how long it had been since I had added to these threads. Well, better late than never I suppose, so here's another round of thrash:

Cryptic Slaughter - Lowlife:

Cryptic Slaughter were easily one of the fastest and most intense early crossover thrash band, really almost leaning more toward the hardcore side of the spectrum. It really doesn't matter though, they were sick and savage, and a huge influence on grindcore in its primal state (Napalm Death does a pretty great cover of this very song). Some of their following albums were still good, but nowhere near the energy level of the debut. They're also not as sloppy, so I guess it depends on your preference, but this is how I prefer to hear the band.

Evil Army - Conquer Human Life:

Evil Army is a prime example of how retro thrash can be done without sucking immensely. This is vicious, punky thrash that sounds like it could have come straight out of 1985, but even though you won't hear anything really new here, they also don't stick to just aping the sound of a well known band. Everything is assembled in a way that is unique to them, and it's full of fury that should get any thrasher's head banging. Fucking awesome stuff, take note retro thrash clowns.

Hatriot - Weapons of Class Destruction:

Hatriot is a newer band, but in some ways not really. After some missteps with their vocalist Rob Dukes, Exodus faltered after a pretty strong modern showing with Tempo of the Damned. Well, Steve picked up the pieces with this newer band Hatriot, and basically carries on the modern Exodus legacy that they have more or less failed to do themselves. You know what you're in for if you've heard Tempo of the Damned, but for modern thrash, it's hard to argue with the quality on display. The production kind of sucks, it's way too plastic and digital sounding for my taste, but the riffs, drumming, and vocals are all there. Definitely worth your time to check out if you have enjoyed modern thrash from bands like Destruction, Overkill, or other long standing heroes that are still showing the kids how it's done.

Hirax - Thunder Lightning:

Hirax is yet another Bay Area thrash band that has often fallen into the historical shadow of more well known acts. It's easy to understand why when you hear the vocals, as they're not really conventional for the style of music on display, and may definitely be a turnoff for some, but the music still has plenty of reward for any thrash fan. This isn't to say that the vocals are bad, you would just expect to hear them in more of an early 80's heavy/power metal band than a thrash metal band playing at this speed and intensity. Good stuff, if not super accessible.

Num Skull - Turn of a Screw:

Num Skull was one of the more intense thrash metal bands to pop up toward the end of the 80's, with an almost death metal like intensity at times. Some have branded this as death/thrash, but it really just slots into that pure brutal thrash mold that more well known bands like Exhorder, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, etc... played around the same time. I wouldn't say that they're as original or essential as any of those bands, but they may be more intense than all of them. There is a lot of fury going on here, firing off rapid riffs aplenty that should send any fan of the sound into a headbanging frenzy.

Protector - The Mercenary:

Protector was one of the more extreme thrash metal bands to emerge from Germany in the 80's. Considering the nature of the German sound, this is quite a feat, but the sound here is quite gruesome. The band exhibited a number of proto-death metal tendencies, especially on the albums following this EP, before eventually morphing into a death/thrash hybrid in the 90's. Their albums are a bit unconventional, with a number of slower, heavier tracks, but don't let that deter you from hearing them. They're all worthy of investigation whether you dig German thrash, early death metal, or even early black metal.

Seventh Angel - Dr. Hatchet:

Seventh Angel offer a very different look at thrash metal, and not just from their UK peers. There is a great deal going on in their sound, with a progressive and intricate take on the thrash sound occupying most of what you'll hear, but there are also a number of doom metal riffs and passages on offer. It seems like this band is written off by many because of their Christian lyrical stance, but this is a mistake, as the music here is top notch. I'm not sure what else to say about this one, other than to say just listen to it and enjoy.

Slaughter Lord - Destructor:

Slaughter Lord was one of the first Australian thrash metal bands, and have had quite an impact on the scene despite such a short time together and such a limited discography. This isn't strictly thrash, as there is plenty here to tie them to 80's black and death metal, but there always seems to be an undercurrent of thrash even when they do explore more extreme domains, so that's why I have placed them here. In any case, it's killer stuff, and the quality here is no doubt why so many people are familiar with this band despite having only released a couple of demos. Having At the Gates cover one of your songs probably doesn't hurt either, but I'm of the opinion that they didn't do that cover justice at all (it was during their Slaughter of the Soul era). This demo compilation is essential for any extreme metal or thrash metal fan, so add it to your collection without hesitation.

Solstice - Plasticized:

Solstice was a bit of an anomaly in the early 90's in Florida, as while most bands were focusing on making death metal more and more brutal, Solstice seemed content to make thrash metal more brutal. Calling this band death/thrash is certainly valid, but I feel that they fall more to the thrash side of the spectrum, and that the production gives it a much more death metal sound than it would likely have otherwise. Fans of both sounds should find plenty to appreciate here though, or at least they should have they have any taste in music. Solstice also happens to be one of the best and most intense live bands that I've had the pleasure of seeing, so don't miss seeing them if they come anywhere near your neck of the woods.

Znöwhite - War Machine:

Znöwhite are without a doubt one of the most criminally overlooked bands in speed/thrash metal. It's easy to tell that this band began as a more melodious speed metal band, who developed into an increasingly brutal thrash act, but without sacrificing any of the melody and class at the root of their sound. What you get is a pretty incredible balance of heaviness and composition that should have any fan of 80's metal salivating. Nicole Lee's vocals are also magnificent, giving the music a soaring and epic quality while equaling the level of savagery that the guitars often bring to the table. This is a top 10 thrash album for me, buy or die!

I discovered the first two albums by Xentrix today, a band I'd certainly heard of back in the day but never really investigated.

I noticed that my last post on here got fucked up somehow. I tried to edit, and couldn't figure out where the other half of the post when, because it's there in the source code. WTF?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I don't mind Xentrix. Don't enjoy them enough to buy any of their albums though.

Yeah, I've listened to both albums a couple of times on YouTube now and they're already wearing a little thin, so doubt I'll bother buying them either.

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said: I don't mind Xentrix. Don't enjoy them enough to buy any of their albums though.

Yeah, I've listened to both albums a couple of times on YouTube now and they're already wearing a little thin, so doubt I'll bother buying them either.

I like a lot of UK thrash, but Xentrix seems to be one of the less exciting bands to come from the scene. Don't let it deter you from checking out the amazing Sabbat, or other great acts like Deathwish and Onslaught.

I'm somewhat familiar with Onslaught but not the others, will have to investigate...

Sabbat's first two albums are some of the best thrash ever written IMO. Deathwish's Demon Preacher is a killer riff fest of an album, but the vocals take some getting used to. Onslaught is a bit derivative, but still pretty good, The Force is worth your time to check out.

The Mist (Brazil) - Phantasmagoria (1989)

How these guys don't get more recognition is beyond me. They were easily in the same league as any well-known thrash band at the time (far superior to quite a few of them), while still offering up their own unique style. Notably, this album features Marcelo Diaz on bass, who later went onto Soulfly, and the voice of Vladmir Korg of Chakal. Also, the original cover "borrows" quite a bit from Micheal Whelan's Lovecraft's Nightmare A, which is kind of strange since it was done by Kelson Frost (who did the covers for the next album from The Mist, Sarcofago's Rotting, The Laws of Scourge and Chakal's The Man is His Own Jackal, among others). Greyhaze Records reissued Phantasmagoria earlier this year--as well as some other Cogumelo releases--which has the original Micheal Whelan art. The Mist followed up this album with The Hangman Tree (1991, featuring Jairo Guedz on guitars, who left Sepultura after Bestial Devastation), also a great album, a so-so EP, and Gottverlassen (1995) before breaking up. If you're a fan of thrash at all, Phantasmagoria is a must.

Chakal (Brazil) - Abominable Anno Domini (1987)

Abominable Anno Domini and The Man is His Own Jackal (1990) are the only albums from Chakal that I'm very familiar with, but are both great offerings. The sound on the latter is a bit more filled out, the vocals are a little odd, but it's still a solid album worth checking out, if not only for hearing a song called "Santa Claus Has Got Skin Cancer". Anyway, this is a great track from Abominable Anno Domini.

Post Mortem (U.S.A.) - Coroner's Office (1986)

I've only recently started listening to these guys, but if you're looking for some old, chaotic sounding thrash, this won't waste your time. This album definitely ventures off into some wild territory.

Pentagram Chile - Pentagram (2000)

Pentagram (known as Pentagram Chile since 2012) are legendary. Technically they're more of a death/thrash band, but their early demos on this compilation blur the distinction. They released their only full-length, The Malefice in 2013 which is also worth seeking out. This is early South American thrash that one might think of being in the same vein of Possessed or even Holocausto, but not comparable in terms of individual style or execution.

Sacrifice (Canada) - Forward to Termination (1987)

This is Sacrifice's second album. Their first, Torment in Fire (1985) is passable, but also a mess. This one is where the meat is. A first listen to this will probably draw comparisons to Destruction and Kreator, which it isn't too far removed from aside from having a much more progressive edge.

Defleshed (Sweden) - Abrah Kadavrah (1996)

Defleshed made a few varied releases from the mid nineties into 2005. Their first EP, Ma Belle Scalpelle was pure death metal with some unique twists and turns in it. Abrah Kadavrah is an awesome, original death/thrash album, with enough of either to belong here. Great lyrics, great riffs... check it out.

Nephastus (Brazil) - Tortuous Ways (1991)

It's hard to get anymore obscure--Nephastus are a band from northeastern Brazil, who released one album on a small label. Some of the tracks here are a little choppy, and the sound quality is crusty. But if you're looking for a different take on the style, this might do it for you.

natassja7 and Will gave this Horns Up!

Here are some of my favorites other than the ones you listed in the original post:

Havok, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Revocation, Violator and SkeletonWitch. Really a damn shame that SkeletonWitch isn't around any more. 

On 1/31/2016 at 8:48 AM, MacabreEternal said:

My latest thrash/speed metal find on Bandcamp via Avenger's page.

Wow this is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing \m/

On 8/11/2017 at 0:17 AM, PvtHudson206 said:

Here are some of my favorites other than the ones you listed in the original post:

Havok, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Revocation, Violator and SkeletonWitch. Really a damn shame that SkeletonWitch isn't around any more. 

Wow this is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing \m/

Other than a bit of Municipal Waste, I can't say that I like any of that retro thrash that you mentioned here. Revocation is good instrumentally, but the vocals put me off. They did play a great live set though.