What's on your mind?

Apoc

Feel like headbutting a wall each time I press the wrong letter on my phone :banghead: had my first energy drink for a week today' date=' obviously the cause of it, therefore, I'm giving up energy drinks as they are pointless and make me pissed off.[/quote'] Energy drinks are shite. The inconvenient truths about energy drinks | Dallas Morning News The Truth About Energy Drinks | News | Dartmouth-Hitchcock

Hey guys. I was wondering what you thought about Rock clubs? I guess I'll start at the beginning. I'm 18, have just completed my A-levels and will now be studying through the Open University. I'm excited to start the course, but am a little worried I'll get into a routine of not going out and engaging with the outside world much anymore; I don't wanna become a recluse who spends his life behind his computer screen and playing his PS3. Specifically, I'm looking to get out and meet like-minded people. I have a few very close friends and can't complain too much about my current social life, but I'm wanting to expand my horizons more and it'd be great to meet more musically-minded people similar to myself. I'm a bit limited as I live in the countryside and am a fulltime wheelchair user, so access can also be an issue. The best way I can see to meet new people is to go to a Rock club the odd Friday or Saturday. I don't know an awful lot about Rock clubs and don't want to throw myself too far in the deep end. What do these clubs tend to be like? I'm not interested in proper 'clubbing' in the way that most 18-year-olds seem to be. I just wanna go somewhere I can chill out with a few drinks, listen to good music and meet people with similar interests. I do tend to be a little reserved by nature (nothing too serious), so wonder if there's a way I can go to this club and, for the first couple of times, not be the centre of attention and keep my distance from the action a bit: you know, take it a bit slowly? Thanks for reading and sorry for my ignorance on these matters, lol. :P

Since you have a few good friends, I'd suggest going out with one or two of them at first to get used to a place. It's a good way to make sure that the place is fully accessible to you, without getting in a bind. But it's just like anything else - if people can't accept you for who you are when you meet them, they're not worth it. Maybe someone from your side of the pond can chime in, the rock/metal bar scene here is not something I ever enjoyed to begin with. Good luck!

Since you have a few good friends' date=' I'd suggest going out with one or two of them at first to get used to a place. It's a good way to make sure that the place is fully accessible to you, without getting in a bind. But it's just like anything else - if people can't accept you for who you are when you meet them, they're not worth it. Maybe someone from your side of the pond can chime in, the rock/metal bar scene here is not something I ever enjoyed to begin with. Good luck![/quote'] Hey. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately my friends either aren't interested in heavy music, don't like to (or are otherwise too busy to) go out, or both! That would've made things so much easier, but it's not to be. :/ I'm hoping to appoint a new Personal Assistant, who I'd be going with, and the plan is to recruit someone with similar musical interests. Hence, it would be like going with a friend, rather than just some guy who's there to assist me. That would already take the edge off quite considerably,; I just don't wanna get there, be thrown in the deep end and be like "holy shit! why did I come here?!", so would like to know if there's a way I can ease my way in gently. I have looked into Rock pubs (rather than clubs) as well thinking that would be a less intense introduction, but the big one that came up (Scruffy Murphy's in Birmingham) was down steps and I can't find any others.

You know, like I said, I don't know what the bar scene is like over there; but if it's anything like it is here, you're not missing much. I'm not just talking about NYC; bars in general don't have a lot to offer IMO. I'd suggest finding a friendly place that specializes in quality beers and has a relaxed environment. Metal bars usually serve shit beer, the music is too loud, and they're full of kids playing dress-up and trying to get laid. I'm not saying this because of your wheelchair use, it's my honest opinion. Metalheads tend to find one another, anyway! I've managed to corrupt several of my friends, as well.

You know, like I said, I don't know what the bar scene is like over there; but if it's anything like it is here, you're not missing much. I'm not just talking about NYC; bars in general don't have a lot to offer IMO. I'd suggest finding a friendly place that specializes in quality beers and has a relaxed environment. Metal bars usually serve shit beer, the music is too loud, and they're full of kids playing dress-up and trying to get laid. I'm not saying this because of your wheelchair use, it's my honest opinion. Metalheads tend to find one another, anyway! I've managed to corrupt several of my friends, as well.
Thanks for the warning, haha! I was kind of afraid the Rock club scene would be as you described. Basically the same as regular clubbing but with, well, different music. :L I will still check it out, I think. I'll also look for some good pubs that do quality beer. Found a couple already. The younger generation hasn't quite caught onto good beer like I believe they have in the states, so straight-up craft beer (or real ale) pubs are often frequented by much older people, which is fine, but I'm unlikely to start hanging out with them. Also, the friends I have don't like drinking or going to bars, which makes it more difficult!

What's on my mind: My album is two songs away from being finished. It's coming together well and I'm pretty stoked about it. I hope to see it released through Oak Knoll Productions early next year. I'm in the process of putting together a live band, as well. I've just started a thread about it here with links to three of my newer tracks. I've also posted all of the demo tracks for the new album, as well as the entirety of my last album, "Ingrate", on my soundcloud profile. It's melodic death metal with some black metal and progressive influences. Check it out and let me know what you think!