What's on your mind?

Apoc

4 hours ago, deathstorm said:

This Thursday is my sleep study all my friends here wish me luck 

Good luck Deathstorm

6 hours ago, Parker said:

I have a collection of human teeth. Most are mine; I've had many pulled over the years, only have 7 left in my mouth. Anyway, I'd like to make my tooth collection into a necklace, as that would look really cool and metal and such. Problem is, I don't really know how to go about it. I've thought of using a really tiny drill bit to put holes in them, but I'm afraid they'd be too brittle and end up cracking and falling apart. Maybe I could use glue, but I'd be afraid of them falling off and getting lost. Any ideas?

If you coat them with something like epoxy first so they are less brittle then go slowly with a dremel.

23 hours ago, Parker said:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! That's the first time I have ever gotten a music theoretician to admit to that! So, in theory, we could just use 12 letters. But, I'm not going to get every one in the western world to change over to new names for the notes. So, again, I just have to get over this sharp/flat thing and deal with it if I want to know anything about music theory. Damn, all this stuff is confusing. However, as I said earlier, you do a very good job explaining things.  

Hey Parker, I wonder if in your practicing you ever play scales working your way around the circle of fifths, that might help your understanding of flats and sharps. Also, if you read music, I wonder if you dig however regular and straight forward the staff looks the hiccups between the B to C and Between E and F are not shown on the staff, so there is a weird compression in the distances portrayed there (I very recently realized this and found it kind of mind blowing since the musical staff has the look of something so regular).

Contemplating the existence of only two hole tone scales that have no beginning points, but evenly divide up the 12 available tones (they are six note scales scales of whole tone intervals), and than coming to grips with the many diatonic scales baring in mind they really have only 7 distinct notes, not 8 are we usually think of them, with various patters of half and whole tones could help your understanding of sharps and flats. Contemplating that A is the relative Minor of C will also help one get their mind around the use of sharps and flats.

CircleOf5ths2.GIF

This particular circle of fifths does a good job of showing how you might reasonably choose sharps or flats to deal with the key signatures at the "bottom" of the circle. Also  it shows the relationships of the majors to their relative minors which helps me see the function of the sharps and flats in general.

8 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

Hey Parker, I wonder if in your practicing you ever play scales working your way around the circle of fifths, that might help your understanding of flats and sharps. Also, if you read music, I wonder if you dig however regular and straight forward the staff looks the hiccups between the B to C and Between E and F are not shown on the staff, so there is a weird compression in the distances portrayed there (I very recently realized this and found it kind of mind blowing since the musical staff has the look of something so regular).

Contemplating the existence of only two hole tone scales that have no beginning points, but evenly divide up the 12 available tones (they are six note scales scales of whole tone intervals), and than coming to grips with the many diatonic scales baring in mind they really have only 7 distinct notes, not 8 are we usually think of them, with various patters of half and whole tones could help your understanding of sharps and flats. Contemplating that A is the relative Minor of C will also help one get their mind around the use of sharps and flats.

CircleOf5ths2.GIF

This particular circle of fifths does a good job of showing how you might reasonably choose sharps or flats to deal with the key signatures at the "bottom" of the circle. Also  it shows the relationships of the majors to their relative minors which helps me see the function of the sharps and flats in general.

Sorry, But when trying to read most of this post my mind goes, is he speaking Mandarin or Swahili? I'm not criticizing you at all, this is a failing on my part. You're just using a lot of words that I don't know the meaning of and have no frame of reference for. Sure, I could look up every term I don't know, but even then I suspect a lot of what your saying would take me a very long time to understand and I would need a lot of time with an instructor (who would probably get very frustrated with me). 

No, I can't read music, so the chart does me no good. I can read tablature.

Again, none of this is to criticize you, it is a failing on my part. 

I can't read sheet music either Parker. Nor am I interested in learning to. I can tab it out and that's enough for me. Actually I mostly just play from memory. I seem to have a gift with riffs - nine times out of ten after five to ten minutes with a riff it's burned into my brain and I can just play them. I.e I have looked at exactly no sheet music or tabs since starting guitar lessons again and all but two songs I've learned have stuck purely on memory.

Here's what's randomly on my mind: I hate the terms "Latino/a" and "Latin America." The "Latin" in these terms are a reference to the language of Latin, which Spanish and Portuguese are derived from, and these terms are used to refer to Spanish, and sometimes Portuguese, speaking people. The problem is that Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, and Romanian are all derived from Latin. No one goes around calling French, Italian, or Romanian speaking people Latino/a. And they speak French in Quebec, yet no one considers Quebec to be part of Latin America.

The real problem here is the modern, evil, Orwellian propaganda that races don't exist, and peoples can only be referenced by their language or location. This propaganda, as you can see above, diminishes the accuracy of our language, and thus diminishes our ability to communicate.

Man, you sure do hate a lot of stuff.

I also don't know where you get the idea that the term "Latino" is a symptom of an evil Orwellian propagandistic idea that "races don't exist". Evolutionarily speaking, race within humans seems to differentiate us almost exclusively in terms of phenotype. There's no denying that people from all over the world look very different from one another, but there's also no denying that we're one species, capable of interbreeding, happy to do so given the circumstances; and genetically speaking, we're more homogenous than many animal species. I don't see essential differences between races. I do see groups of people treating other groups of people poorly depending on how they look, speak, or comport themselves; we're very attuned to minute differences in each other. Easy to see how that could have been a valuable evolutionary development in nomadic tribal groups.

Linguistic and cultural development could make for a really interesting discussion, but I have to admit I'm getting a bad vibe from your post, Parker. And this is also (potentially) a bigger discussion than I have time for at the moment, as I'm home with my son today.

My post had nothing to do with hate. I don't hate anyone based on their race. I don't hate Hispanic people. I'm sorry you got a bad vibe. I didn't mean anything bad. And you're right, if we were to really delve into the topic it would need its own thread (it was just something on my mind at the time, thought that's what this thread is for). My suspicion is that you got that bad vibe because you have been subconsciously indoctrinated by that Orwellian propaganda ;) Ha ha, I'm joking now.

As for me hating a lot of stuff 1) The word, "hate," does not appear in my post 2) I'm genuinely sorry if you interpreted anything I wrote to mean I hate anyone, I did not intend that. I'm opinionated and very thorough in my thought processes. That is to say that when thinking deeply on a topic and presenting my point of view I try to think of counter arguments and, "head them off at the pass." It seems that online, where you can't here my tone of voice or read my expression, this comes of as me sounding hateful and/or angry. I don't mean to be this way. Again, I sincerely apologies if I seemed to be espousing hate or offended anyone. 

How's about instead we wait and maybe see if there is time for that bigger discussion at some point in the near future.  It is already highlighted above that words on the internet can be misconstrued so let's use the experience to maybe clarify what is being said (on all sides).  Nobody needs to leave.

Just a suggestion, not trying to force the situation in any way, shape or form.

20 minutes ago, Parker said:

My post was about semantics. But you took it as an opertunity to throw a thinly vieled acusation of racism my way. I used to think of you as a friend. I don't need people in my life putting me down. Delete my account.

Dude, I told you I'm hanging with my kid and haven't had a chance to respond. I'm not putting you down. My issue with your initial post is that starting a discussion about race by talking about "evil Orwellian propaganda" injects morality and politics into a discussion that I think benefits from facts and rational dialog. It's also a deep and thorny issue that I don't have time to discuss properly today. Not trying to run you off. Sorry if I upset you.