What's on your mind?

Apoc

I think it's a deliberate plan to make you either: a) so angry you hang up the phone in disgust or B) so angry that, when you do get through, it allows the other individual to condescendingly treat you as completely irrational. And I'm still on hold, but the phone is now on loudspeaker so I can drown out the awful hold music.

Re: What's on your mind?

I hate being on hold. Not only does it chew up valuable time but it also forces you to endure some of the most abysmally woeful music known to man.
One of my customers that I had to call frequently for years has the most obnoxious hold music I've ever hear. When the hold times got longer and my calls more frequent because they were making so many mistakes, I said "fuck it" and just started emailing them about everything. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

What's on your mind?

I love getting calls from telemarketers' date=' I put on voices for them and just take the piss for ten minutes then hang up.[/quote'] We have a house in the mountains running on generated power. We keep getting calls from telemarketers saying that we have been paying a lot for our elextricity. Oh really? We sure do pay a lot for generated power! I also like to mimic the telemarkers voice and copy what they say just to piss them Off ;) Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: What's on your mind? It's not the telemarketer's fault, they're just employed to do their job. I don't like to rip on them unless they really just don't listen and continue to call back after I've told them no. I usually just place them on hold until they hang up, it's only fair that I waste the time the employers are paying for since they have wasted mine. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Do you get the ones from India who try to sound like they are local? They must have a script coz as soon as you ask questions they are stuffed. Don't get Jehovah's witnesses coming to the door any more, think I'm black listed, lol. See them in the street going to other houses, just not mine. Used to have fun with them.

I'm kind of in that strange headspace where I'm re-evaluating my life on a macro level. It's really a hard, ugly thing to look at, and much easier to ignore, and try to be content with what I am/have. I've gotten an intense wanderlust streak and its reared its ugly head. I want to get out of this town, this state, this country, and I want to immerse myself in strange new things.

Re: What's on your mind?

I'm kind of in that strange headspace where I'm re-evaluating my life on a macro level. It's really a hard, ugly thing to look at, and much easier to ignore, and try to be content with what I am/have. I've gotten an intense wanderlust streak and its reared its ugly head. I want to get out of this town, this state, this country, and I want to immerse myself in strange new things.
I've had that feeling for some time, every time I leave Utah I wonder why I come back. I've tried to pull my wife away from her family, but she won't budge, she couldn't imagine life without them. I guess I would feel similar if I had grown up with a tight knit family too, so I can't blame her, I just get sick of this place and have been ready to leave for a long time. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to pursue though. Just remember that you can hang out here anytime, regardless of where you're physically located. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I've had that feeling for some time, every time I leave Utah I wonder why I come back. I've tried to pull my wife away from her family, but she won't budge, she couldn't imagine life without them. I guess I would feel similar if I had grown up with a tight knit family too, so I can't blame her, I just get sick of this place and have been ready to leave for a long time. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to pursue though. Just remember that you can hang out here anytime, regardless of where you're physically located. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks Blut. I feel really grateful for the 'net friends I do have because they really do make up the bulk of my family. And in that sense I feel like I have them wherever I go. I've never had a close knit family, and my family is small, mostly deceased or estranged. So I am quite used to going years between visits and accepting that as the norm. I think in your situation I would feel really trapped. I feel trapped now, in a way. Hence why I am starting on these journeys (like to D.C. -- and next is NYC, after that probably Europe). I just have to get OUT. Anyway, maybe when your kidlet is older you two can go on adventures outside of Utah too. =)

Ghouls - to what BAN said, I'd add that it's normal to want to change your situation when you're dealing with a lot of pressure. You've already made some big changes, and you talk about how good they've made you feel; are they enough? Are they still having the desired effect? Is this just a product of recent events? I know you've said you would love to just run away and travel anyway... I hope you feel better, though I know how useless other people's good wishes can be. :)

Ghouls - to what BAN said' date=' I'd add that it's normal to want to change your situation when you're dealing with a lot of pressure. [/quote'] On the contrary I think I have it pretty cushy. I have a (relatively) easy job, plenty of money, comfortable life, home, marriage, friends. My life is the picture of middle class stability and happiness.

On the contrary I think I have it pretty cushy. I have a (relatively) easy job, plenty of money, comfortable life, home, marriage, friends. My life is the picture of middle class stability and happiness. Is being / feeling healthy "enough"? For some, it would be. Having a comfortable life and a good job is what so many people dream of. Sometimes I just get awash with that overwhelming feeling that my time on earth is running down the drain while I putter about designing websites
If I were an Evangelical this would be the exact moment at which I play the worship music and invite you in an altar call. :D But since I'm Presbyterian I'll instead say that Florence is probably lovely this time of year, and that the trattoria off the Piazza Della Reppublica has some great sausage and spinach pizza. As for restlessness, I wouldn't know. If the changes are manageable, and don't bring unacceptable costs upon your domestic tranquility and security then I don't see why you wouldn't make them. Also, welcome back.

On the contrary I think I have it pretty cushy. I have a (relatively) easy job' date=' plenty of money, comfortable life, home, marriage, friends. My life is the picture of middle class stability and happiness. [/quote'] Actually, while those things do come with their own set of pressures - and you haven't struck me as a person who seeks out middle-class security - I wasn't talking about that... more thinking about some of the recent events you've mentioned to me. As far as "enough" - no, not for me, nothing's ever "enough". For that matter I almost never feel healthy, well-rested, or productive enough. Taking care of my son is great for me because it allows me to live in the moment, and I try almost by reflex to see things through his eyes; but in my own life, every accomplishment feels like a missed opportunity. I always feel that I could have done more, and it's my anger and frustration with myself that keeps me trying. When I'm not sitting in front of the computer drinking a beer, eating some chocolate, and bullshitting with you lot. :D So maybe I have the same impulse as you do, but I internalize everything, and that's where I'll find my escape. Nothing screams of wasted life to me like all of the energy I put into my various jobs: rich people's backyard fences, custom bread baskets for corporations in Midtown... some of my products have doubtless been discarded already. Others will probably be around long after I'm dead. But nothing I've done for work matters to me at all. It's only the perspective of being home with my kid that's made me realize that.

If I were an Evangelical this would be the exact moment at which I play the worship music and invite you in an altar call. :D But since I'm Presbyterian I'll instead say that Florence is probably lovely this time of year' date=' and that the trattoria off the Piazza Della Reppublica has some great sausage and spinach pizza.[/quote'] Careful, I know Florence has an independent streak but she'll still be exposed to a lot of Papists... and at such a vulnerable time.:D