suggestions

A7X stoner ftw

That Baal Gradrial was decent but dragged a bit in my opinion. Nonetheless I do have to agree, the melodic sensibility was nice. So, murph knows and loves these guys, as do I, but I thought I'd make an official recommendation. QL76lRIo8JQ Sympathy are one of the best technical death metal bands on the planet. Their riffing is relentlessly heavy, technical, groovy and frequently intense, which the drumming and composition complements very well. They also write fairly interesting lyrics.

I couldn't really stomach Nuclear Death. I feel as if they had recorded on something better than a 4 track then they would be listenable. I just can't stand not being able to hear anything that's going on. Literally the only thing I could make out was the drums, and the drummer was pretty good. Baal Gadriel would be much better if the lead guitar was in tune, being a guitar player hearing that stuff makes me cringe relentlessly. But definitely a very solid melo-black metal band. Sympathy was absolutely AWESOME in my opinion. Great riffs, great drummer, and you can actually hear the bass in the mix. Only complaint would be the vocals. I feel they could have been brought out a little more, but hey, it's a lesser heard of band, so it's great for what it is! I feel like you and me may have a very similar musical taste Iceni. My next contribution: Martyr. The canadian Proggy Tech-Death band. I absolutely love their shit. Vocals are semi-reminiscent of Chuck Schuldiner of Death, at least to me. Very crazy guitar riffs, and an AWESOME drummer. I'll share two songs with ya. The first being a newer one, and the second being an older one. AA8ifjMtXlo _wy5bEAqjAk

Not my favourite track from that album (Underworld has that honour) but it will be interesting to see how FA and BAN react as it does seem only we four contribute regularly to this thread.
I think Ghouly would contribute, as would btbam91, but I think that Ghouly's been really busy and btbam's been having trouble with getting posts on the forum.

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS.

I think Ghouly would contribute' date=' as would btbam91, but I think that Ghouly's been really busy and btbam's been having trouble with getting posts on the forum.[/quote'] Yeah, his posts are still having issues, but I approve them so they can be visible to everyone when I see them. I'm going to have to send a followup email to Tait and see what the hold up is on fixing this problem. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Nuclear Death was all right, but I have to say I don't hear the unsettling atmosphere. They seemed decent death metal with some atmosphere, but otherwise they didn't strike me particularly. Martyr is fun, I didn't like them all that much for a while but since I found out I like Individual Thought Patterns, it seemed long overdue to come back to give them another go round. It's very nice tech-death, doesn't feel rushed but keeps your attention. I'd put up another band (it'll probably be Pagan's Mind, Manticora or Sickening Horror) but I'd rather wait for more Sympathy reactions.

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS.

Nuclear Death was all right, but I have to say I don't hear the unsettling atmosphere. They seemed decent death metal with some atmosphere, but otherwise they didn't strike me particularly. Martyr is fun, I didn't like them all that much for a while but since I found out I like Individual Thought Patterns, it seemed long overdue to come back to give them another go round. It's very nice tech-death, doesn't feel rushed but keeps your attention. I'd put up another band (it'll probably be Pagan's Mind, Manticora or Sickening Horror) but I'd rather wait for more Sympathy reactions.
I guess I can understand why you don't hear the sound I'm talking about, it's tough to hear much of what's going on in Nuclear Death. If your tolerance for more raw production jobs lightens up, give them another chance. I'll listen to Sympathy and the others when I get a chance, it's kind of been a crazy week. Pagan's Mind gets my vote for your next pick, love those guys. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

A lot to catch up on! Nuclear Death, I heard a while ago when BAN recommended them to me. The strong point is the vocals, and I'd probably go back just for that. I don't mind bad production, but it really sounded like dog shit - I couldn't get any atmosphere out of it. Baal Gadrial, I liked the melodies and the vocals. The unintelligible nature of them was a positive in this case. I agree with btbam91 that the out-of-tune/poor intonation issue kind of sucked, but I could get past it. The drumming was weak, and the songwriting was unimaginative, but it was ok overall. Sympathy was very good, though not really my taste - well-written, good changes. I didn't care for the little tech solos, and the vocals were well-done but standard, most of the patterns didn't really interest me (with the exception of that insistent, bestial-sounding tripled vocal line that repeats a couple of times). The standout element was the riffs, some of them were a bit standard-sounding as well but a lot of them were excellent. Martyr, I liked as well, though again it's not really my "thing". I enjoyed the guitars a lot, inventive and tasteful without too much of a need to show off, though I didn't get into all the riffs immediately. Like Sympathy, some of the riffing was excellent. The second (older) song was more derivative of Death and Meshuggah than the first one, but I found myself liking it better anyway, even though the vocals on it were basically ripping off Chuck at times. Didn't like the yelling on the newer one, it sounded like Tom Araya trying to imitate Kelly Shaefer. Here's my contribution, something totally different: Zu. This is the one song with vocals (or at least lyrics) from their album Carboniferous, which is the most cohesive thing they've done, and the most metal-related. They're an Italian experimental jazz trio - drums, bass, and sax, rounded out on this track by Mike Patton on vocals and keys. I think Buzz Osborne was also on the album somewhere. The melodies/chord changes in some spots here are to die for. McnbbQEmYZo

That was reasonably interesting, but I wasn't fascinated with it. It may have been that the instrumentation was what threw me off, but of all things it started to feel monotonous after a while. From a technical standpoint it was good, the structure was decent and Patton's vocals were enjoyably weird. That said, it didn't hold my attention very much.

Hmm, taste is a funny thing. I found this song gripping from the first time I heard it, and it's still one of my favorite songs from the last couple of years. I think the odd instrumentation adds to its appeal, I like how the sax and keys take the place of guitars. I've also always wanted to hear a cello doing this in a way that didn't suck - I can't stand Apocalyptica, for instance...

Hmm' date=' taste is a funny thing. I found this song gripping from the first time I heard it, and it's still one of my favorite songs from the last couple of years. I think the odd instrumentation adds to its appeal, I like how the sax and keys take the place of guitars. I've also always wanted to hear a cello doing this in a way that didn't suck - I can't stand Apocalyptica, for instance...[/quote'] Yeah, I absolutely love Battlelore but I think Ghouly's the only person I've met who liked them besides me. I also adore 'Tragedy and Harmony' by Jeff Loomis and Christine Rhoades, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be as well liked hereabouts. Well, while we're at it: pQrPxddmKTM Drottnar! This is fun to listen to in the common room while cooking pizza.

That is awsome. Who is name the band
It's Drottnar.
Wow' date=' that's really good stuff! I might have to listen to them more regularly even though I don't like the message. Some of the lyrics seem good, too. This song in particular seemed a bit more personal and ambiguous. Good vocals, excellent guitars.[/quote'] I might suggest their latest album Stratum, if I remember aright it's political in nature rather than religious.

So, I guess it's now my time to contribute to this topic :P Let's start with Thurisaz, a atmospheric/melodic death metal band from Belgium. This song is the last song on their latest album and is about a goodbye. In contrast with their other songs, this song is a bit doomier, but it's really beautiful I think. he8v_mSgDng Also from Belgium, Grown below. I've seen them two times and the atmosphere they can create live, is really amazing. While they let you dreaming into another world, suddenly most of their songs errupting into beautiful pieces of music. I don't know in which genre I shall put them, but I think that doom comes pretty close. Not that it really matters though. cAHvKVZo-I4 Edit: this song is even better imo. Just that ending! http://grownbelow.bandcamp.com/track/phantoms

Crimson Shadows - I'm sorry to have to say I hated that. I'm not a power metal fan, and it sounded like what I dislike about power metal, with some screaming thrown on top... Not even really melodeath, there's no "death" in there at all. I just can't get into anything that cheesy. It was well-played, though, and it's got a professional sound, so I'm sure it'll appeal to some people. @ stone-valkyrie, this thread is kind of an experiment, not really a promotional thread, more of a place to talk about music we like regardless of genre. The Thurisaz song, I feel like I've just heard a lot of stuff that sounds like that in the past... the melodies were predictable. I liked the vocals, though the cleans got a bit overbearing for me at times. Grown Below, I liked a bit better, they created some interesting textures, a bit more aggressive and progressive. The growls and screams were nice! Didn't care for the clean vocals, again, they sounded awkward and the melodies were predictable.

BTW' date=' Chaos - if you're having trouble with posting youtube links, it's the word "youtube" inside the ['] brackets, and then the unique number - not the whole URL, just jZY02q_p0, or whatever - and then /youtube inside the [] brackets. Hope that helps... :)
guinness-brilliant.jpeg I'm going to be pretty angry at myself if it was all that simple.