suggestions

A7X stoner ftw

@ Iceni: the fragmentary song structure, drum technique, overall vocal approach, straightforward breakdowns, abrupt tempo shifts, and focus on chaos rather than a more structured technicality are all traits these guys inherited from late 80s/mid 90s grind and metallic hardcore, that in turn (to my knowledge) developed from 80s post-punk (Swans, The Birthday Party, Sonic Youth). The predominance of blastbeats, specific drum sound, extensive use of higher-pitched dissonance, brevity, generally fast tempo, sharp juxtaposition of extremely different styles, and that particular, unwaveringly high vocal tone are what makes it "grind", at least to me, and more specifically late 90s/early 2000s grind that came a long way from its roots. As well as the hardcore punk influence, there's always been a lot of crossover with death metal, which I think these guys embraced, and screamo, which influenced the vocals and also their willingness to play with melody and atmosphere. Similar artists would be Discordance Axis, The Locust, Great Redneck Hope, maybe Gigantic Brain... definitely a bunch of others that KSMASH has already mentioned, he's deeper into this stuff than I am. But anyway I'm glad you found it at least moderately enjoyable, there's a lot of compelling energy in this genre. As far as your other question, how the experience of coping with racism manifests, it's been different for each of the few friends/co-workers I've spoken to - in some cases depression, self-doubt, and detachment, in some cases anger, resentment, feelings of powerlessness. Of course my conversations with people are anecdotal, but the commonality between them is the sense of a traumatic experience, one that lingers for years, and isn't easily - if ever - dealt with. It's not the kind of thing that rolls off one's back. It seems to create a sense of limited future that's difficult to conquer. The reading I've done on the issue has borne that out.

[...]I'm glad you found it at least moderately enjoyable, there's a lot of compelling energy in this genre. As far as your other question, how the experience of coping with racism manifests, it's been different for each of the few friends/co-workers I've spoken to - in some cases depression, self-doubt, and detachment, in some cases anger, resentment, feelings of powerlessness. Of course my conversations with people are anecdotal, but the commonality between them is the sense of a traumatic experience, one that lingers for years, and isn't easily - if ever - dealt with. It's not the kind of thing that rolls off one's back. It seems to create a sense of limited future that's difficult to conquer. The reading I've done on the issue has borne that out.
Sure, I may just check out a little bit more. As I said I've never liked punk but that was good. Do you think it'd be worth starting a thread on racial issues/racism? It could go unproductive and sour very quickly but I'd be interested in pursuing this line of inquiry.

Sure, I may just check out a little bit more. As I said I've never liked punk but that was good. Do you think it'd be worth starting a thread on racial issues/racism? It could go unproductive and sour very quickly but I'd be interested in pursuing this line of inquiry.
I wouldn't call it punk, though the influence is undeniable - this is a particular strain of grind. There's a lot to it, though you might find some of it too simplistic, and the focus on randomness ironically becomes a bit repetitive after a while. I like this album, and the first Daughters album - Canada Songs. I love Discordance Axis, but they may not be to your taste, and I'm not huge on The Locust. I'll find some Gigantic Brain to post, they're fun - alien-conquest-themed industrial grindcore. :D I wouldn't start a separate thread, myself - I'd prefer to let the discussions start and end organically, and have everyone here respond as they see fit, rather than make it a topical public free-for-all. I wouldn't want to attract crazies, and would prefer not to become embroiled in a political or economic conversation. But if you want to, hey, go ahead! As I've said before, we have a good, thoughtful, respectful bunch here and I like talking with everyone.

I'll find some Gigantic Brain to post, they're fun - alien-conquest-themed industrial grindcore. :D...would prefer not to become embroiled in a political or economic conversation.
Well then I await the forthcoming post. I think I might put the first full Nami album up on here for you to go over, I thought it was an odd animal. That's part of the problem with talking about racism, the analysis of the subject is directly tied to economics and politics. I sure don't fit the right demographic profile to be considered a person who's even allowed to speak on the subject. What annoys me is that the views on racism I've seen rarely seem to take the tack that racism of any kind is not on.

What annoys me is that the views on racism I've seen rarely seem to take the tack that racism of any kind is not on.
I'm having trouble parsing this - by "on", do you mean "acceptable"? Here's some from the Gigantic Brain album I like, "The Invasion Discographies" - the hard part is finding them all put together like this on Youtube, the tracks themselves are very short and segue into one another so an isolated track doesn't really give the full picture. This is more precisely described as "cybergrind". Give it a bit of time, there's some cool stuff going on here. I prefer some of the tracks near the beginning of the album, but I couldn't find them. 9wtaNTVuILw

Ooh, I did like that riff at 0:55 that lasted for about three seconds. That was all pretty enjoyably frenetic. It reminded me a little bit of a less crazy but still interesting group called Dol Ammad. I don't know whether it's a particularly South African idiom (I've only ever heard my dad use it), but 'not on' means not acceptable, yes.

Now that's what I call a compliment! :lol:
I'm serious, I did actually like it. I'll never play it in front of my mom, (SYL and Blut Aus Nord don't get much airtime in my home either, for similar reasons) but I'm surprised how much was genuinely enjoyable.

Sorry dudes, been catching up on another forum that I hadn't been to in a bit. Anyway, my pick today is Hollenthon: AWbjbYwgIjE Hollenthon is made up of a couple of dudes from Pungent Stench, but they're doing something entirely different from that band, and most bands altogether. The base of their sound is in melodic death metal, but these guys take it to another level entirely, giving their songs an extremely epic feel while integrating symphonic and folky melodies. The sound you'll be thinking of in your head when reading this will be wrong, as this doesn't sound like Dimmu Borgir type symphonic stuff, nor cheesy Korpiklaani type folk metal, it's hard to describe, but I think some of you may be into it. I know Iceni is into these guys, he could probably fill you in more.

Okay, following up after listening to the last few. Psychotic Waltz is rad, I've had them on my radar for some time now, but have never picked up their albums. Old school prog metal is the best prog metal, and these guys remind me of another one of my favorites, Fates Warning. Really awesome riffing. Descend was one that I wasn't too keen on, I could pick up some Opeth like moments, but most of it was pretty much 3rd tier melodeath. I also enjoyed As the Sun Sets, they reminded me of The Dillinger Escape Plan in a way, but they did a lot of their own stuff too. Gigantic Brain was pretty painful to listen to though, I was thrilled when the song ended.

That whole As The Sun Sets album is good, and if you liked that you may like Daughters - a bit more dissonant and abrasive, but also more original and expressive IMO. Gigantic Brain, I have to be in the mood for. Some of the stuff earlier in the album is a bit more coherent, has better atmosphere, etc. I heard some of their newer stuff today online and didn't care for it. But I like the attitude of "Invasion Discography".

Re: Let's Help Each Other Discover NEW BANDS.

I still can't post without moderator approval' date=' so I apologize for not really participating much in my own thread.. It's getting quite bothersome actually, to the point where I may stop coming back here eventually. I'm hoping that this issue can be worked out.[/quote'] I haven't heard back from the admin yet, but I'm approving your posts as I see them. You must be special, you're the only one that has had this problem. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I still can't post without moderator approval' date=' so I apologize for not really participating much in my own thread.. It's getting quite bothersome actually, to the point where I may stop coming back here eventually. I'm hoping that this issue can be worked out.[/quote'] Bummer, dude, good luck. I was wondering where you'd gone.

Also, I'm sure everyone here has heard of them. But my absolute FAVORITE band of all time: Between The Buried And Me. I personally believe them to be the absolute best progressive metal band out there, especially after the release of Parallax II: Future Sequence. I'm sharing with you my favorite song off of that record. Silent Flight Parliament. The first half of the song is actually recycling riffs from the rest of the album, kind of a recap to the story being told, and at the end of the song, it leaves off for the ultimate conclusion. It sounds unfinished at the end, but that's because It bleeds into the next song. So without me blabbering on and being more of a fanboy, here you go: prRjZM2WDHE

I really liked parts of the Hollenthon - the clean chanting vocals and violin melodies, all the folk elements. They were well-integrated and enjoyable. I could have done without the guitar solo, and the power metal riff underneath it. Overall, weird and interesting if not 100% my thing. I don't really have much good to say about Ignite the Night (or Eldest 11 - whose song is it?), though - it sounded like a lame mashup of imitation Deftones with Sage Francis, attempting to be dramatic, but failing. I don't hate rap by any means, and it actually didn't sound out of place here. It just seemed incredibly shallow to me.

Hey Sinful, I would put that in the same category as Linkin Park, only not quite as bad. Never really been a fan of that genre. My next submission: Becoming The Archetype. A great progressive death metal act. I'm more a fan of stuff off of this record "Terminate Damnation," as their later stuff gets less interesting in my opinion. Some parts of this record do get pretty 'core' but it's still an excellent listen. The song I'm going to show you is called "Elegy: Deception/Lament/Triumph". Also be forewarned, they are a "christian" band, but I don't really pay much attention to that aspect of them as much I do the instrumental aspects. -BjSCO05pW4