What Are You Listening To?

khaos

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Thatguy thinks ACCEPT of any vintage is 'ass'. And fruit beer ain't beer.

1.) There is no fruit in the fucking beer.

2.) Have you ever even heard any Accept before today?

3.) Accept is not a great band by any stretch because the overwhelming majority of their output is not anything noteworthy. It's very generic and nondescript heavy metal of the commercial variety. But still, they recorded the heaviest song I'd ever heard in 1982, so in my world they get huge nostalgia points for that. I know that doesn't mean anything to someone like you, because you weren't searching for the heaviest shit you could find for headbanging purposes in the early 80's, you were busy doing your residency and being a responsible adult.

4.) You're an old boomer prog head who played in wedding bands. 

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Fuck me, the Orca has been listening to some bad shit today. And by bad I don't mean good.

5.) True, but he likes it, keeps him out of trouble, so who are we to piss on his little parade of banal modern retro thrash bands?

6.) I'd rather not fuck you Doc, if it's all the same to you I was thinking we could just be friends.

7.) Geoffrey Chaucer once said "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering, Austria 1991. I feel like this album gets unfairly passed over. Absolutely one of the best death metal records of 1991. And I say that knowing there were some real bangers released in 1991.

Massacra - Enjoy the Violence, French death/thrash 1991

45 minutes ago, Arioch said:

S.O.D - Speak English or Die (1985)

Parler Anglais ou mourir?

I liked this album well enough in '85, but it hasn't aged like a fine Bordeaux. More like 40 year old camembert.

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Massacra - Enjoy the Violence, French death/thrash 1991

Excellent choice! And I'm not just saying that because the band comes from my country. Although... 😇

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Parler Anglais ou mourir?

I liked this album well enough in '85, but it hasn't aged like a fine Bordeaux. More like 40 year old camembert.

Yes, "Parler Anglais ou mourir" 👌 Personally, I still think it's a great album, even if it's aging along with us. And old Camemberts can sometimes hold some very pleasant taste surprises 😁

Antichrist - Sinful Birth (2017)

A very good old-school Thrash album from Sweden. For me, one of the bands of the new Thrash generation to put right at the top of the list. Listen to the break on The Black Pharaoh, where the band have fun with the riff, twisting it in all directions.

32 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

1.) There is no fruit in the fucking beer.

I agree. I said I agree. Why do you think I think otherwise?

33 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Have you ever even heard any Accept before today?

Yep. I actually have one of their CD's - I can't remember why I bought it. It is shit.

34 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

3.) Accept is not a great band by any stretch

We'll leave it at that

34 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

4.) You're an old boomer prog head who played in wedding bands.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

35 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

5.) True, but he likes it, keeps him out of trouble, so who are we to piss on his little parade of banal modern retro thrash bands?

True, but I like to be a dick from time to time.

36 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

6.) I'd rather not fuck you Doc, if it's all the same to you I was thinking we could just be friends.

Sounds like a plan.

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

7.) Geoffrey Chaucer once said "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

My fish rides a bicycle

Floor - Oblation

Beach Rats - Rat Beat

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Accept is not a great band by any stretch because the overwhelming majority of their output is not anything noteworthy. It's very generic and nondescript heavy metal of the commercial variety.

Accept falls into the same category as The Scorpions, Priest, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Maiden, Twisted Sister, Sabbath, UFO, and a few others. Perfectly acceptable for the right situation (i.e. sitting around with the boys, drinking beer, and grilling some meat, pool party with the fam, cutting the grass/working around the house). Many of us of a certain vintage probably wouldn't be metalheads if it weren't for bands like these even if we have moved well past them today. I plug some of them on at times for that nostalgia kick or just some mindless enjoyment. Good void filler if you don't want to critically listen to new unfamiliar music. Doesn't require effort to enjoy. The musical equivalent to comfort food if you will.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Accept falls into the same category as The Scorpions, Priest, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Maiden, Twisted Sister, Sabbath, UFO, and a few others. Perfectly acceptable for the right situation (i.e. sitting around with the boys, drinking beer, and grilling some meat, pool party with the fam, cutting the grass/working around the house). Many of us of a certain vintage probably wouldn't be metalheads if it weren't for bands like these even if we have moved well past them today. I plug some of them on at times for that nostalgia kick or just some mindless enjoyment. Good void filler if you don't want to critically listen to new unfamiliar music. Doesn't require effort to enjoy. The musical equivalent to comfort food if you will.

I disagree. I would place the Scorpions and Sabbath a cut above those others into the truly great band category, 50+ year old bands that I have still not moved past.

The rest of them I would agree with what you said, perfectly fine to listen to now and then, better than turning on some "classic rock" radio I guess, but in retrospect not great bands.

Except Twisted Sister and UFO I would have to put in the worthless garbage category personally, even though I did purchase a UFO album used once 100 years ago, took a chance on it because I had heard good things. One of those bands that got a lot of notoriety but only ever wrote like 3 good songs over their entire career (I love that Lights Out song) and that was all they could ever seem to muster up. It still mystifies me that anyone over the age of 13 ever took Twisted Sister seriously and actually listened to those shitty albums more than once. Utter rubbish. But I could be biased against them partly because they were a local LI band for me as a youth. Well maybe not a youth exactly, but they were active in my late teenage rock club going days. I do kinda like that one Under the Blade song tbh, but I prefer every cover version I've ever heard of it done by an actual metal band to the original Twisted Sissy version. I'd bet money Dee, Eddie and JJ drink fruity beer.

Nocturnal Breed - Under the Blade (Twisted Sister cover)

Alright enough of that nonsense, new ASM has dropped.

Antichrist Siege Machine - Vengeance of Eternal Fire

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And fruit beer ain't beer.

I assume none of y'all enjoy stouts, porters, pale ales, dark ales, IPAs, DIPAs, ESBs, Kolschs, dubbels, trippels, quads, saisons, wheat beers, barley wines...

For that matter, considering the majority of beers out there have some degree of citrus or dark fruit flavor to them, what the hell kind of beer do you "real beer doesn't have any fruit flavor in it" guys actually drink?

Obscurial - Heretic

Preview tracks for the new Obscurial album due out next week

https://obscurialmusic.bandcamp.com/album/heretic?from=fandiscflw

a1138378941_16.jpg

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I assume none of y'all enjoy stouts, porters, pale ales, dark ales, IPAs, DIPAs, ESBs, Kolschs, dubbels, trippels, quads, saisons, wheat beers, barley wines...

For that matter, considering the majority of beers out there have some degree of citrus or dark fruit flavor to them, what the hell kind of beer do you "real beer doesn't have any fruit flavor in it" guys actually drink?

Obscurial - Heretic

Preview tracks for the new Obscurial album due out next week

https://obscurialmusic.bandcamp.com/album/heretic?from=fandiscflw

a1138378941_16.jpg

For real. I can't drink any significant amount of alcohol anymore, but when I could it was fairly apparent to me that the world of beer is a big one full of all different kinds of styles and flavors. I enjoyed stouts, saisons, the occasional fruit beer, and sometimes even a good sour. We all know that cheap mass produced swill is bad, but just condemning fruit(y) beer outright is kind of foolish. Hell, the producer of one of the most recognizable import stouts out there (Samuel Smith) makes an incredible peach beer that's absolutely delicious and worth trying for anybody who can find it.

NP: Rogga Johansson - Otherworld

▶︎ Otherworld | Rogga Johansson | Iron Blood and Death Corporation (bandcamp.com)

a3003086637_10.jpg

Nice. It's cool to see that after the metalcore headache that subsumed most of the Gothenburg/Slaughter of the Soul sounding melodeath tropes, the subgenre's most adamant practitioners tend to revert to Edge of Sanity leanings which, in my personal opinion, make for a much more robust songwriting palette and have a ton more room for experimentation. This stuff isn't exactly top-tier melodeath, but it gets the job done if that's what you're after. 

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I do kinda like that one Under the Blade song tbh, but I prefer every cover version I've ever heard of it done by an actual metal band to the original Twisted Sissy version. I'd bet money Dee, Eddie and JJ drink fruity beer.

They're definitely fruity. BTW, this is the only TS song I can say I really like, but I do remember Stay Hungry hitting pretty hard as a snot nosed pre-adolescent.

The Beast

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I like lots of beer. I like beer with fruit in it. I don't really like Cucumber+Rasbperry+lemon+Mango IPAs or whatever ridiculous combination the kidz seem to come up with these days.

3 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Blimey. First I got accused of hating kittens, now I hate beer. I will post a picture of the next beer I drink which I intend to be tonight while I watch the football.

Yep there are fruity flavours in all beer, as there is in wine, and tea, and even coffee. I am - as you very well know - talking about yer so-called 'sour beer' which is fermented fruit juice. And nasty.

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I am - as you very well know - talking about yer so-called 'sour beer' which is fermented fruit juice.

So wine. Man T-Guy, you sure hate a lot of stuff. Little kids and puppy dogs are probably on the list too right next to rainbows and sunny days.

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Blimey. First I got accused of hating kittens, now I hate beer.

Not at all...I know you've mentioned before you like beer. I was just betting on the fact that, despite what you were saying, you've probably had and enjoyed a style of beer that could be described as having some type of fruit flavor to it.

...but no, I didn't realize you were specifically talking about sours.

28 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Stop being so sensitive.

No sensitivity here. I really don't have an issue with you liking beer, hating it, or being completely indifferent to it. I just disagree with the assertion that beer and beer that has hints of fruit in it's flavor profile are somehow two separate things.

7 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

...but no, I didn't realize you were specifically talking about sours.

There's yer problem.

Sour beer is the only beer I hate.

7 hours ago, navybsn said:

So wine. Man T-Guy, you sure hate a lot of stuff. Little kids and puppy dogs are probably on the list too right next to rainbows and sunny days.

Well played.

There's a lot of music I hate too.

21 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

No sensitivity here. I really don't have an issue with you liking beer, hating it, or being completely indifferent to it. I just disagree with the assertion that beer and beer that has hints of fruit in it's flavor profile are somehow two separate things.

Dude that was aimed at who it quoted and was total shit stirring because no one hates kittens and everyone should hate fruity beer.

NP: Cannibal Corpse - Horrific