What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, markm said:

Necrot-Lifeless Birth, I dunno, these guys don't do a lot for me

First album was pretty good and I caught them live in Denver on that tour back in '17 opening for Denmark's Undergang which was a solid performance. But this new album's a snoozer, listened to half of it one time, wouldn't buy it. Just checked, it's the same 3 guys, wonder what happened? Turns out writing memorable death metal isn't as easy as it looks.

Pungent Stench - For God Your Soul... For Me Your Flesh, Austria 1990

Benediction - The Grand Leveller, UK 1991

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Overkill - "The Grinding Wheel"

Accept - "Blood of the Nations"

Accept - "Stalingrad"

Whiskey Rebellion - Self-titled (EP)

Yo JT can you explain to me sir how these Whiskey Rebel dudes play "southern metal" if they're from fucking Sheboygan, Wisconsin? Can't get much less southern than that unless you go to Alaska. Or is 'southern' just a state of mind? Back in the day our "southern rock" bands were Skynyrd, Hatchet, ABB, MTB and the Outlaws. And even as a New Yorker I loved all that shit. But those bands were all from Florida, Jaw-ja and Carolina. No one would have accepted a "southern" rock band from up north in Yankeeland. Nowadays it seems they have "southern" bands from up north and I even saw one or two you posted that were actually European. What's up widdat?

Also I'm mildly curious to try one of these modern post-Udo Accept albums you keep posting just to see what they sound like without Udo. (which one would you recommend I try?) But I never actually do it because I'm sure I'll be disappointed. I only ever liked two Accept albums to begin with even back in their hey-day, R&W and Metal Heart, so I'm not exactly a super-fan. Did see them once at L'amour in '85 though and I have to admit they put on a helluva show. I saw TT Quick a few times a few years before that back when they were a LI club band and I even had their first EP so I'm somewhat familiar with MT, and I don't think I could accept that guy as the front-man for Accept. It's Udo's band dammit. His thick German accent and being just barely over 5 feet tall was part of the appeal. I guess change can be hard for us old guys.

Accept - Metal Heart 1985

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yo JT can you explain to me sir how these Whiskey Rebel dudes play "southern metal" if they're from fucking Sheboygan, Wisconsin? Can't get much less southern than that unless you go to Alaska. Or is 'southern' just a state of mind? Back in the day our "southern rock" bands were Skynyrd, Hatchet, ABB, MTB and the Outlaws. And even as a New Yorker I loved all that shit. But those bands were all from Florida, Jaw-ja and Carolina. No one would have accepted a "southern" rock band from up north in Yankeeland. Nowadays it seems they have "southern" bands from up north and I even saw one or two you posted that were actually European. What's up widdat?

Also I'm mildly curious to try one of these modern post-Udo Accept albums you keep posting just to see what they sound like without Udo. (which one would you recommend I try?) But I never actually do it because I'm sure I'll be disappointed. I only ever liked two Accept albums to begin with even back in their hey-day, R&W and Metal Heart, so I'm not exactly a super-fan. Did see them once at L'amour in '85 though and I have to admit they put on a helluva show. I saw TT Quick a few times a few years before that back when they were a LI club band and I even had their first EP so I'm somewhat familiar with MT, and I don't think I could accept that guy as the front-man for Accept. It's Udo's band dammit. His thick German accent and being just barely over 5 feet tall was part of the appeal. I guess change can be hard for us old guys.

Good evening, my friend!  As far as I understand it, the "southern metal" descriptor is merely a reference to the style of music being played, rather than the location where the band is based.  I remember posting about a band called Black Tooth, who play a southern-tinged groove metal sound similar to PanterA, and they're from Turkey.  A couple of others are Betzefer (from Israel) and Overcharger (who I think are from Germany, but I could be mistaken) and Behind the Smokescreen (from Greece).  They tend to model their sound after bands like PanterA, Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, etc., that are all from down here in the American south (most of those bands are from New Orleans, but I still claim them, being from the southeast region of the country!).  I have a few thousand songs in my music library that fall under the "southern/groove metal" label, so I'm constantly making my way through them.

It gives me great joy that you're at least mildly curious about the modern era of Accept!  I'm actually the opposite - I almost exclusively listen to this new era.  I know some folks might consider this to be metal sacrilege, but I much prefer Mark Tornillo as a singer over Udo.  Don't get me wrong - I own several U.D.O. albums, and I like Udo quite a bit.  And very occasionally, I'll listen to "Restless and Wild", "Balls to the Wall", "Objection Overruled", etc.  But in my opinion, Mark is a far more dynamic singer - he has that very gruff singing voice in general, and he can hit those banshee screams at will.  I'm absolutely pumped for the release of "Humanoid" (Mark's 6th album with the band now) next Friday, April 26!

With regard to this modern era of Accept, my top recommendation would be Mark's debut with the band, "Blood of the Nations" (2010).  However, right on its heels would be "The Rise of Chaos" (2017).  I can say with all honesty that I enjoy all 5 (soon to be 6, I'm fully confident) of the Tornillo-era albums fairly equally, but I'd put those two at the top of the list.  And hey, I'm psyched that the Goatmaster even cares enough to ask for my humble opinion on these albums!  I hope you're not totally disappointed (I can't conceive how these albums would be even remotely disappointing, but of course, I'm incredibly biased toward this era), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you do decide to have a listen.

Take care, my metal friend!

P.S.  I hope that issue with your refrigerator/freezer turned out okay!

1 hour ago, JamesT said:

Good evening, my friend! As far as I understand it, the "southern metal" descriptor is merely a reference to the style of music being played, rather than the location where the band is based.  I remember posting about a band called Black Tooth, who play a southern-tinged groove metal sound similar to PanterA, and they're from Turkey.  A couple of others are Betzefer (from Israel) and Overcharger (who I think are from Germany, but I could be mistaken) and Behind the Smokescreen (from Greece).  They tend to model their sound after bands like PanterA, Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, etc., that are all from down here in the American south (most of those bands are from New Orleans, but I still claim them, being from the southeast region of the country!).  I have a few thousand songs in my music library that fall under the "southern/groove metal" label, so I'm constantly making my way through them.

It gives me great joy that you're at least mildly curious about the modern era of Accept!  I'm actually the opposite - I almost exclusively listen to this new era.  I know some folks might consider this to be metal sacrilege, but I much prefer Mark Tornillo as a singer over Udo.  Don't get me wrong - I own several U.D.O. albums, and I like Udo quite a bit.  And very occasionally, I'll listen to "Restless and Wild", "Balls to the Wall", "Objection Overruled", etc.  But in my opinion, Mark is a far more dynamic singer - he has that very gruff singing voice in general, and he can hit those banshee screams at will.  I'm absolutely pumped for the release of "Humanoid" (Mark's 6th album with the band now) next Friday, April 26!

With regard to this modern era of Accept, my top recommendation would be Mark's debut with the band, "Blood of the Nations" (2010).  However, right on its heels would be "The Rise of Chaos" (2017).  I can say with all honesty that I enjoy all 5 (soon to be 6, I'm fully confident) of the Tornillo-era albums fairly equally, but I'd put those two at the top of the list.  And hey, I'm psyched that the Goatmaster even cares enough to ask for my humble opinion on these albums!  I hope you're not totally disappointed (I can't conceive how these albums would be even remotely disappointing, but of course, I'm incredibly biased toward this era), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you do decide to have a listen.

Take care, my metal friend!

P.S.  I hope that issue with your refrigerator/freezer turned out okay!

Well James, I bought a new fridge, so I resolved the compressor issue that way. Had a local guy come out and replace the compressor's electric harness for $190, and it got cold again, but that fix only lasted 2 or 3 days before it got warm inside there again. But the whole shopping experience was quite frustrating. The dead fridge I had purchased 2 and a half years previously was backordered for two months, so I went with the next one down which was essentially the exact same fridge just 3 cubic feet smaller, same depth, 3" less width. I needed the same brand GE because I got all the appliances in the matching slate color and only GE offers that. But for some unknown reason the smaller fridge costs $300 more than the larger one, $1,900 vs $1,600! That's even crazier than southern metal from Turkey! I thought about waiting the two months to get the bigger cheaper one but I was so damn sick of running out for ice every other day and I was losing tons of food that kept getting waterlogged as the ice melted. Anyway it's here and done now, and it's cold, and I've stopped throwing so much food away, so it's all good. Only problem now is I can't level it. I have the back feet screwed all the way up and the front feet unscrewed all the way down and it's still tilted forward so we had to put 3/4" wooden blocks under the front feet just so the two veggie drawers won't slide open every time I open my fridge. But that's what happens in a 150 year old house that's got trees for floor joists, nothing's square, level or plumb here.

I've just had dinner and spent 3 hours simplifying fractions with the kid, but now he's in bed so back to Accept. I listened to this one earlier but never posted it, probably the heaviest Accept album I've ever heard, pretty cool tbh. I hadn't realized when UDO left in '87 that he'd come back again for a few more years in the 90's.

Accept - Death Row, 1994

Alright bro you've convinced me, Blood of the Nations is shall be. My problem right off the bat though is that this isn't Accept, it's just some generic heavy metal band doing their version of Accept. Even though the first song's chorus conjures up memories of "Wrong is Right" off Metal Heart and the solos are clearly Wolf's work. I'm afraid when it's all said and done at the end of the day I'm gonna have to be one of those No Udo = No Accept hardliners. This is another reason why I go more for the extreme metal where the vocalists can tend to be more interchangeable. 

P.S. halfway through now I can see why you'd be into this generic heavy metal over early Accept, it's catchy and well done and maybe just a wee bit heavier than old Accept. Some of the songs are even pretty cool, (or at least better than what you typically expect to get from later era Maiden or Priest or Megastaine) it's just not triggering my nostalgia for 1982 R&W era Accept, which was the Accept I grew up with.

3655b5_cc87d95d7a704e62b526527624b599fd~

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

At least you'll be able to keep your fruity beer cold!

Gloryhammer - Tales From the Kingdom of Fife

1.) There is no fruit in the beer.

2.) I'm not the one who likes the citrusy IPA beer, I like the 5,000 mile dirty crank case oil.

3.) Gloryhammer is ass. Not in a good way like 'tits & ass' I mean as in the dirty thing your shit comes out of. I'd gladly drink nothing but fruity beer for the rest of my natural life if I could erase the memory of the two minutes of Gloryhammer I just listened to.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

On the Accept discussion, Restless and Wild is cool and I do randomly enjoy Balls to the Wall, but I love me some Metal Heart. Dogs on Leeds, Too High to Get it Right, Up to the Limit, but is a bit like Screaming for Vengeance/Defenders of the Faith-moments of metal ecstasy with some commercial filler that I usually just want to skip (Midnight Mover, Screaming for a Love Bite). Piece of Mind also comes to mind. In each case, the highs are so-stick the needle in-euphoric, I'm willing to overlook both bands desires to break into the U.S. top 40 market. And, of course, Priest did just that. Metal Heart, ntl, is one of my absolutely favorite 80's metal albums. I finally repurchased the disc a few years ago when I realized it was a desert album I could not live without.

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

1.) There is no fruit in the beer.

2.) I'm not the one who likes the citrusy IPA beer, I like the 5,000 mile dirty crank case oil.

3.) Gloryhammer is ass. Not in a good way like 'tits & ass' I mean as in the dirty thing your shit comes out of. I'd gladly drink nothing but fruity beer for the rest of my natural life if I could erase the memory of the two minutes of Gloryhammer I just listened to.

Perhaps you should try some fruity beer to help erase the terrible memory.

8 hours ago, markm said:

On the Accept discussion, Restless and Wild is cool and I do randomly enjoy Balls to the Wall, but I love me some Metal Heart. Dogs on Leeds, Too High to Get it Right, Up to the Limit, but is a bit like Screaming for Vengeance/Defenders of the Faith-moments of metal ecstasy with some commercial filler that I usually just want to skip (Midnight Mover, Screaming for a Love Bite). Piece of Mind also comes to mind. In each case, the highs are so-stick the needle in-euphoric, I'm willing to overlook both bands desires to break into the U.S. top 40 market. And, of course, Priest did just that. Metal Heart, ngl, is one of my absolutely favorite 80's metal albums. I finally repurchased the disc a few years ago when I realized it was a desert album I could not live without.

Yeah, I can agree with that for the most part, looks like Metal Heart is where our trad heavy metal tastes intersect. Midnight Mover's not even a bad song if you ignore the lyrics. Unlike the truly worthless and irredeemable garbage of that era like Love Bites or London Leatherboys or Quest for Fire.

But for me Restless & Wild wins because that was a pivotal moment in metal history. That album would definitely be on my metal albums that changed my life list if I was to make such a list like your buddy Pete Pardo from Newburgh NY. Just like many older folks will tell you about the JFK assassination, I remember exactly where I was the first time I ever heard Restless & Wild. Album was released in October '82, but the US release was a few months later in early 1983. The album had some filler on it to be sure, but the first track Fast as a Shark was at the time the heaviest thing I had ever heard up to that point. And that's all I really cared about in 1983, it really was a contest to see what was the heaviest new shit I could find. Metallica and then Slayer both released debut albums later in 1983 that surpassed the heaviness of Fast as a Shark, but for a brief while there Accept were the kings of heavy metal.

EDIT: That said, Balls to the Wall is one of the worst albums of the entire decade. Title track was noteworthy mostly just because he says "balls." Every other song on that particular album I'd rather fuck my earholes with rusty ice picks than listen to.