What Are You Listening To?

khaos

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That one, and Light of a Dead Star from the year before are two of the greatest black metal albums ever made. Definitely some the best French black metal you'll ever hear.

Sounds like he's suggesting Victorians are full of shit.

Bollocks.

So are you suggesting Victorians are....? (in addition to being full of shit obviously) Because I was under the impression that those Queensland banana bender blokes were the ones every Australian collectively feels they have the right to look down on. So what is it about Victorians? Or would you have the same smug superior elitist attitude towards Aussies from all states outside of the ACT?

Funny I just remembered my M-i-L dropped me a Chrissie postcard to inform me that she had moved (shifted I believe your mob likes to say) from Castle Hill up to the Gold Coast, I assume to be by her sister. So now I can call her a banana bender if I ever have occasion to talk to her again. What I want to know is why would Kiwis leave Aotearoa to live in Australia in the first place? It's so much nicer in NZ.

Requiem Tenebrae from the following year isn’t bad either, but can’t compete with those first two. On balance I’d say the debut is my favourite.

45 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

We are but he is the one who chose to live in the Capital of bullshit.

We are Mexican's because in NSW they've never come with anything original in their lives. Canberra was only created for people who couldn't decide whether they wanted to be from NSW or Victoria. The only people who chose to live there are politicians and people who act like politicians. QLD's bottom half is full of Victorians, Canberrans and New South Welshmen who have escaped their home state for the promise of warmer weather, more chicks in bikinis waking the streets and the ability to whinge about tourists coming to their adopted state and ruining things. That leaves NSW which is the most stuck up and nose to the air state in the country. They want to be American, they act American and they look down on the rest of us because they know they better than the rest of us. They want a 24 hour capital like Paris or New York. They want the rest of the world to think they are the standard to be measured by. If they were to secede from the rest of the country we'd let them, unlike WA who we decided couldn't secede until we took as much of their mining money as Canberra deserved.

All decent sized cities should be 24 hour like New York. Or at least have shit open til midnight. The worst part of traveling for me as a lifelong New Yorker has always been that everything closes at 5 or 6pm. What kind of backwater nonsense is that? I'm not a morning person, I like to do my shopping 'n' errands 'n' shit in the evenings like a vampire. I haven't even eaten my one meal yet by 5 or 6pm. I've never felt the need to be on the same schedule as everyone else. Yeah I suppose my circadian rhythms are probably all out of whack, but that's my business innit?

I'm quite sure that's not why they created Canberra and the ACT. I'd imagine it was because Melbournites got all butt hurt when someone suggested putting the capitol in Sydney so they came up with a compromise, put it in the middle somewhere between the two. Meanwhile, Adelaidians are no doubt bent because no one even considered them for the capitol, not even for a minute. Brisbanians don't really care one way or the other they're probably all down the beach in their boardies gawking at all the hawt girls in bikinis. Perthers out in WA at least can understand they're just too damn far out of the loop to be considered for the capitol, and they probably like it that way. Why they don't tell the rest of OZ to get stuffed and keep their mining money for themselves I'll never know.

And what do you mean exactly by "act American?" Please enlighten me as to what we act like, or what you think NSWelshers act like that's so bloody American. Because I never felt like I was in America there in any possible way. I was like a fish out of water the entire time I was in NSW.

I really can't imagine Sydneyites leaving cosmopolitan Sydney for backwater QLD, at least not for the warmer weather, as it was 100 fucking degrees (38ºC) or more pretty much the entire 5 weeks I was in Sydney. How fucking hot do you Aussies want it?!? I know my F-i-L was always going on about retiring in Cairns one day, (holy shit, I just realized his 65th birthday is actually today) but he's in Whagaparaoa where it's a lot cooler than Sydney so I can almost understand that desire, even though cooler works much better for me personally. And since they never get much below 50º (10ºC) on the north island (which sounds like a lovely spring day to me) I don't see why he'd ever want to leave that bucolic paradise to go to the steamy tropics. I think he has an old RNZN friend who's up there and that's why he wants to relocate to Cairns. (for the Yanks that's pronounced "Cans") It's probably cheaper to live up there too, Auckland is crazy expensive, worse than Sydney I think. And he's gotta be tired of leaving for work in the dark at 5am every day to get downtown to the courthouse by 6:30 or whenever. For 20+ years I had to be at work at 4:30am each morning and I never got used to it, I hate having to get up early, even if it's just to bend my bananas.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This Eden in Reverse album is frustrating because I'm cool with the music, don't even have a problem with the electronics. But these cleans are a real struggle for me in spots. Getting heavy Oranssi Pazuzu vibes off of this one, and Opeth as if the two had collaborated on an album together. I remember Murder in Blue as being sillier, more frivolous. Just weird for the sake of being weird. This one's a good album, I won't turn it off because I am enjoying it on some level, just with major caveats for the vocals. Funny I always vaguely thought they were French, and now today I realize they're Greeks. Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to chop them from my bands I hate list, but I'm probably not going to make a HSN back patch the centerpiece of my battle vest, ya know?

My musical problem this week has been two-fold. Firstly, I was going through old posts from last Spring and I stumbled over your Terror Cross post I must've missed from April I think. Mere words cannot express how much I love this band. In particular their 2022 album of re-recorded songs, Skull Metal Armageddon, is absolute perfection to my ears. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to it over the last few days. I'm completely infatuated with them, one of those bands where I think "Man if I had a band I'd want it to sound exactly like this." One might call them black/thrash/punk but they're crust or I guess blackened crust to me. Thrashy blackened crust, that's it. So you'll never have to twist my arm to get me to listen to blackened neocrust recos, my eyes get wide when I read that's the genre. When I get in one of my crusty moods I'll have weeks or even sometimes an entire fortnight where I just want filthy blackened crust, death/crust, crust/grind, stenchcore, neocrust and more crust.

Secondly, I rediscovered my Urfaust albums this week. I've been playing the shit out of them over and over ever since, especially their last two albums. Fucking amazing, they're just magnificent. Don't quite know what to say about them or even how to describe them, but I will be needing to get more Urfaust in my life.

19596_photo.jpg?3057

I also had in mind today to run the whole Raspberry Bulbs catalogue because I enjoyed their new one so much three times yesterday. And I'll need to go back to that Fire Messiah again as well because I've already forgotten what they sounded like, but I know I really liked it. I'll probably have to add Svdestada to my playlist as well now, I'm sure they'll be predictably just as awesome as I suspect they're gonna be.

....if you liked that SVDESTADA.....check this out....every bit as good as the new one.......

SVDESTADA - Azabache

....record shopping at midnight in the L.E.S. was always one of the main reasons for living in the city....

19 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

(Denmark) - Mod Guders Svig

Well this last minute discovery most definitely made the list.

Listened to that one a few days ago when I was going through my old May posts and it's solid. Put it on my short list, but time will tell if it makes the final cut. This is why you really can't make a list 'til mid January without missing shit, there's just no way to find everything the same week it comes out.

9 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....if you liked that SVDESTADA.....check this out....every bit as good as the new one.......

SVDESTADA - Azabache

....record shopping at midnight in the L.E.S. was always one of the main reasons for living in the city....

Yeah man, these Spaniards are right up my alley. 🤘

I've made deliveries on Delancey St, Grand St and East Broadway before, actually had my truck towed from E. Broadway once in the 90's because the company had fallen behind paying the traffic tickets and my plate # was on their list. Came out of the Chinese bakery to find an armed plainclothes gentleman sitting in my driver's seat. Had to grab a taxi out to the impound Greenpoint to go retrieve it. But I don't really know much about the lower east side tbh. I always want to think Alphabet City and the East Village are "the L.E.S." but they're really not, technically the L.E.S. is all south of Houston. Where did you used to live back then? I've been record shopping on St Mark's Place many years ago, and I think there was some little place on Bleeker St, but I don't think it was at midnight.

Nah mate aside from our grudge against Victoria for stealing the Grand Prix us had a ladies are pretty content with our lot, besides, we are the capital of wine production in this country… I don’t know what he’s on about with Sydney feeling like America either the orca is going senile, I reckon.

MP: Primordial - A Journey’s End (1998)

Primordial - Storm Before Calm (2002),)

21 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Nah mate aside from our grudge against Victoria for stealing the Grand Prix us Adaladies are pretty content with our lot. Besides, we are the capital of wine production in this country… I don’t know what he’s on about with Sydney feeling like America either, the Orca is going senile, I reckon.

MP: Primordial - A Journey’s End (1998)

Primordial - Storm Before Calm (2002),)

So all the Shiraz comes from South Australia? Is that where the Barossa Valley is? I've never looked to see. Oh yes, now I see, the wineries are all right up the road a piece just to the north of Adelaide. My father in law is a Shiraz hound, drinks a bottle and a half every night. He turned me onto it when he came over to visit, so after I got home from work we'd sit in the kitchen in the evenings and polish off two bottles together because he didn't want to drink alone. I even went out to the big box store and bought two quality wide rimmed red wine glasses for us to have our Shiraz out of. It is now the only variety of wine which I can say that I genuinely like. Fortunately we get it over here too, so I could have some whenever I wanted. But I don't really need to be drinking a $12 - $15 bottle of wine every night, so I rarely partake. It's cool that I can order it in a restaurant and sound like I know what I'm talking about though. Most non wine drinkers probably stick with ordering rose or merlot or white zin or maybe pinot noir or something. 

Wish I could get more excited about Primordial. I did like that one album The Nameless Dead some years back (holy shit is that really 16 years ago already?!?) but none of their other records every really grabbed me the same way as that one. Ironic that this year vocalist Alan Averill's side project band Verminous Serpent is my #1 aoty. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm quite sure that's not why they created Canberra and the ACT. I'd imagine it was because Melbournites got all butt hurt when someone suggested putting the capitol in Sydney so they came up with a compromise

Yep.

And that's the story. Melbourne hates Sydney. Sydney doesn't care.

GOLGOTHAN REMAINS - Adorned in Ruin.

I am so over shiraz. It's the over wooded chardonnay of the 21st century.

25 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So all the Shiraz comes from South Australia? Is that where the Barossa Valley is? I've never looked to see. Oh yes, now I see, the wineries are all right up the road a piece just to the north of Adelaide. My father in law is a Shiraz hound, drinks a bottle and a half every night. He turned me onto it when he came over to visit, so after I got home from work we'd sit in the kitchen in the evenings and polish off two bottles together because he didn't want to drink alone. I even went out to the big box store and bought two quality wide rimmed red wine glasses for us to have our Shiraz out of. It is now the only variety of wine which I can say that I genuinely like. Fortunately we get it over here too, so I could have some whenever I wanted. But I don't really need to be drinking a $12 - $15 bottle of wine every night, so I rarely partake. It's cool that I can order it in a restaurant and sound like I know what I'm talking about though. Most non wine drinkers probably stick with ordering rose or merlot or white zin or maybe pinot noir or something. 

Wish I could get more excited about Primordial. I did like that one album The Nameless Dead some years back (holy shit is that really 16 years ago already?!?) but none of their other records every really grabbed me the same way as that one. Ironic that this year vocalist Alan Averill's side project band Verminous Serpent is my #1 aoty. 

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yep.

And that's the story. Melbourne hates Sydney. Sydney doesn't care.

GOLGOTHAN REMAINS - Adorned in Ruin.

I am so over shiraz. It's the over wooded chardonnay of the 21st century.

There’s also McLaren Vale They aren’t as well-known outside of South Australia as the Barossa Valley wine growing region. they aren’t as well-known outside of South Australia as the Barossa Valley wine growing region, but still offer some excellent stuff. Oh and it isn’t just Shiraz that we produce here, though for me rosé is the most overrated of all wines, closely followed by Merlot.

Re Primordial I find them very hit or miss,

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah man, these Spaniards are right up my alley. 🤘

I've made deliveries on Delancey St, Grand St and East Broadway before, actually had my truck towed from E. Broadway once in the 90's because the company had fallen behind paying the traffic tickets and my plate # was on their list. Came out of the Chinese bakery to find an armed plainclothes gentleman sitting in my driver's seat. Had to grab a taxi out to the impound Greenpoint to go retrieve it. But I don't really know much about the lower east side tbh. I always want to think Alphabet City and the East Village are "the L.E.S." but they're really not, technically the L.E.S. is all south of Houston. Where did you used to live back then? I've been record shopping on St Mark's Place many years ago, and I think there was some little place on Bleeker St, but I don't think it was at midnight.

....I lived in Alphabet City mostly.....the one record store I remember most fondly was Moodies, up in The Bronx.....they were 24/7 if I'm not mistaken....most of my record shopping in the East Village was at merch tables at shows, but I'd also go over to the outdoor vendors off of Lex and Great Jones, on the weekends....mainly tapes and singles but you could also find good vinyl and even CDs....Village Music on Bleecker might be where you're thinking of....they stayed open late but I don't remember how late...

MELISSA - II

41 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

They literally created ACT and Canberra because it couldn't be agreed upon as to which state capital should be the nation's capital. Both cities were pigheaded and they still are. Why anyone would choose to live in either place is beyond me.

Because they're cities and they afford access to good stuff there. And there are more jobs and more women closer to the city. (or more men if that's your preference) Even a bumpkin like you has to drive a thousand km's to 'the big smoke' if you want something like a metal show or a museum or a decent meal you won't have to cook yourself. I'd never want to live right smack in the inner city myself, but I've always been quite happy living an hour or so away out in the burbs. Far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle, but close enough so I know it's there and accessible if I need it. I'm like 90 minutes out from NYC currently, which is a bit farther than I'm used to, but now in my twilight years I'm finding I need shit that I can only get in the city less and less. But I can certainly understand those who prefer to be in the thick of it.

NP: Vorgfang - Viser Fra Ildens Enger... Norway

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Oh and it isn’t just Shiraz that we produce here, though for me rosé is the most overrated of all wines, closely followed by Merlot.

There are any number of great SA wines I agree. I like a merlot and rosé has its place as an alternative to a refreshing beer on a hot day. As with music, taste in wine is a very individual matter.

GOJIRA - Magma

Bowelfuck - Appetite Comes With Killing, 2022 Czech grindcore that will cave your fucking skull in.

Snowing like crazy here, supposed to get 6 to 10 inches tonight and tomorrow, tapering off by lunchtime. Don't need to be anywhere Sunday so I'm having a little grindcore party tonight. I did move my car down to the end of The driveway just far enough in that the snow plows won't hit it. Just in case I have to get out I won't have to shovel 150 feet of snow 10 inches deep to get my car out.

Flesh Grinder - S.P.L.A.T.T.E.R.  - 1999 Goregrind/BDM Brazil

Right now the track is Undir Blodmana by Audin. Icelandic Black Metal is good stuff, if I was going to buy some 2023 music it would be some Iceland Black metal, but that which I already own is enough, I mean I can be content listening to AC/DC, Pantera and Deicide all day, but I have hundreds more bands and when these Iceland black metal songs come up, the ones I already own, it's just like hearing them for the first time, every time as it is, so what is the point is endlessly acquiring new Iceland black metal?