What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Blazing Corpse - Inert, slow death Brazil 2023. First listen, think I'm gonna have to find a spot for this one on my list.

Desenterro - Assombrado Pela Ajuda Futurista, Brazilian black/death, this no frills underground stuff is just so much better than your standard major label bullshit.

I do like checking your EOY recos out when you make strong endorsements. I typically look stuff up on Bandcamp, save to wish list to listen to later. I couldn't find Blazing Corspe, The first video. That's one of my issues with the really underground stuff-hunting it down. If it's on Bandcamp or Spotify, I'll give it a go. 

On 12/1/2023 at 7:45 AM, JonoBlade said:

Sounds decent. 

Must be fun standing in front of a green screen pulling metal poses and assorted hand gestures in your mid sixties.

Metal is for life Jon. One does not stop bangin' their 'ead and striking metal poses just because they're in their mid 60's or 70's.

29 minutes ago, markm said:

I do like checking your EOY recos out when you make strong endorsements. I typically look stuff up on Bandcamp, save to wish list to listen to later. I couldn't find Blazing Corspe, The first video. That's one of my issues with the really underground stuff-hunting it down. If it's on Bandcamp or Spotify, I'll give it a go. 

Yes it can be frustrating finding some of the obscure stuff. I have several albums this year in my top 20 or 30 that I don't own a copy of digitally because they have not made it available. I will buy the odd CD from a US distro if it's something I just have to have, but it kills me to pay as much for shipping as an album costs when ordering from the Europeans when I don't even want the disc in the first place. I'm used to paying an average of maybe $6 - $7 an album, so when I see something's $30 or more with shipping I usually pass. I look at that album Old - Dawn of Darkness on Unsilent Tombs Records weekly, because I love that album, it's in my top 10 and I would love to own it. But it's €12 plus €20 shipping. That's $35 USD which represents 5 digital albums to me. So no. And some underground stuff only gets a cassette release which I'll normally pass on too. I did buy that one tape from France because I had to have it. Net result is I have some albums (more than usual this year) that I just have to listen to on Youtube because I can't find them. Won't stop me from putting them on my list though, if something's great it's great, whether I own it or not.

You should be aware by now that we evaluate music very differently. I would think you'd probably like some of the stuff that I've endorsed less strongly better than most of the ones I get really excited about, because those are generally gonna be the more primitive Neanderthal ones. Last I knew you had limited interest in the primitive Neanderthal stuff. Looking over my working lists, I feel I have a very strong black metal lineup this year as far my taste goes, but most of it's not stuff I'd picture you being too interested in listening to. Same with the death metal. 

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Metal is for life Jon. One does not stop bangin' their 'ead and striking metal poses just because they're in their mid 60's or 70's.

Yes it can be frustrating finding some of the obscure stuff. I have several albums this year in my top 20 or 30 that I don't own a copy of digitally because they have not made it available. I will buy the odd CD from a US distro if it's something I just have to have, but it kills me to pay as much for shipping as an album costs when ordering from the Europeans when I don't even want the disc in the first place. I'm used to paying an average of maybe $6 - $7 an album, so when I see something's $30 or more with shipping I usually pass. I look at that album Old - Dawn of Darkness on Unsilent Tombs Records weekly, because I love that album, it's in my top 10 and I would love to own it. But it's €12 plus €20 shipping. That's $35 USD which represents 5 digital albums to me. So no. And some underground stuff only gets a cassette release which I'll normally pass on too. I did buy that one tape from France because I had to have it. Net result is I have some albums (more than usual this year) that I just have to listen to on Youtube because I can't find them. Won't stop me from putting them on my list though, if something's great it's great, whether I own it or not.

You should be aware by now that we evaluate music very differently. I would think you'd probably like some of the stuff that I've endorsed less strongly better than most of the ones I get really excited about, because those are generally gonna be the more primitive Neanderthal ones. Last I knew you had limited interest in the primitive Neanderthal stuff. Looking over my working lists, I feel I have a very strong black metal lineup this year as far my taste goes, but most of it's not stuff I'd picture you being too interested in listening to. Same with the death metal. 

Yep, we have quite different metallic tastes but there is some crossover and I like to listen to the occasional bestial, neandermetal and will usually give some of your top purchases a quick listen to see if anything strikes my fancy.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And this is why we wait and wait for your lists. Stop finding new stuff.

Focus. REFINE.

I know most people who make end of year lists like to start making them in mid December, and then they'll post them in the days and weeks leading up to, or maybe just after the New Year.  And that's cool if that works for you. But my Iist is something very personal that I'll refer back to for years to come, it's my master list for the entire year in metal. And you know I can't just do a top 20 and call it a day like some folks do. Any idiot could slap together a top 20, but what would even be the point of that? From my perspective there's just too much killer music created in a whole entire year, and that includes December. So it's important to me to wait a few weeks to try to catch as many of the stragglers that were released toward the end of the year as I can. In past years I have almost always found at least a couple of absolute gems that almost got by me in January, so I'm really not in a huge rush to finalize my lists today on Jan 2nd.

As I've said I've been going through the WAYLT thread page by page and refreshing my memory as to all the killer albums I've posted over this past year. This is taking me a lot longer than expected even though I only seem to have made typically one to four posts per page, and I know I can scroll right past anything from any year other than 2023. Good thing I date all my album posts, anything without a date on it is from the current year. Thing is I have to stop and listen to at least a few minutes of anything I can't remember, and that's what's taking me so long. I've made it back as far as mid October now, if I can get through three months per day I can have all my lists rebuilt by the weekend.

Once I have that top 100 or so figured out, then I can start actually weeding stuff out. I've already been weeding stuff out as I go, but I'm finding even more good stuff that I posted but for whatever reason neglected to add to my running lists of favorites. I believe as of 10 days ago all my various 2023 sub-genre lists totaled a little over 100 albums, 110 or 115, something like that. But now I reckon when I'm done going through all my old posts I'll likely end up with at least 20 or so more albums on my lists than I had before.

And then as soon as that's done, I'll be trying to cross shit off. I'd like to cap my final black metal list at about 30 - 35 or so (no more than 40 I promise) my black/death and other hybrid sub-genres list maybe 15 or 20, my death metal list should wind up around 20 - 25, and my crust/grind list maybe a dozen give or take. That's the goal anyway. We'll see how it actually works out. Black metal's the hardest one to keep to a reasonable number, I'll have 60 or 70 albums that I consider the cream of the 2023 black metal crop, and I'll need to eliminate half of them. Not an easy task, a lot of A/B comparisons will need to be done to make sure I end up with the right 35 or 40. And then if you want me to do write ups, and add album covers or YT videos and stuff that's at least an extra week right there. I'm still hoping to get it finished and posted before the end of January, but I can't make any promises bruv.

51 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I know most people who make end of year lists like to start making them in mid December, and then they'll post them in the days and weeks leading up to, or maybe just after the New Year.  And that's cool if that works for you. But my Iist is something very personal that I'll refer back to for years to come, it's my master list for the entire year in metal. Any idiot could slap together a top 20, but what would even be the point of that?

Sage words Caprinae Commandant. I'm definitely trying to gather some of the stragglers from my 'to be listened to later' designations. It's very easy to get lost in the labyrinth though.

NP: Withering Earth - Runeboud Legacy

▶︎ Runebound Legacy | Withering Earth (bandcamp.com)

a0489481753_10.jpg

Kicking around sice 2014, if MA is to be believed and just this err... last year put out a full length. If melodic death is what you're after then you could do worse. We're all familiar with the Amon Amarth special by this point. Imitators abound. That band photo of them in furs and skulls coming from Florida is pretty funny though.

somehow I found this dude on Youtube...some of his choices gave me a surgical Brute and maybe GG vibe but maybe not nasty enough, some of it seems kind of experimental....checking out some of his recos

Crymych-endless fucking winter (2023)-ambient black metal anyone? You'd think this would be some raw black goat shit, but it's quite a head scratcher. 

Passéisme/Alternance

Poison Ruin/Harvest

Curta'n Wall - Siege Ubsessed!

Spirit Posessed/ Of the Sign...

Oh, and I checked out Cannibal Corpse/Chaos Horrific-meh

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But my Iist is something very personal that I'll refer back to for years to come, it's my master list for the entire year in metal. And you know I can't just do a top 20 and call it a day like some folks do.

I know. I just can't help poking you because you always bite, and that gives me a few minutes of harmless fun.

Fun...

SÂVER - From Ember And Rust. I've forgotten it already.

DÉHÀ - The Illusion of Reach. Noice.

NP -  DΛRKNΣSS - the wounds will heal, the scars will remain. Chill.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Sage words Caprinae Commandant. I'm definitely trying to gather some of the stragglers from my 'to be listened to later' designations. It's very easy to get lost in the labyrinth though.

Isn't that the point? If I didn't want to be 'lost in the labyrinth' I'd take up another hobby that wasn't sifting through the interwebs for new metal albums I've yet to hear. We're still in the sweet spot where boatloads of the specific kinds of extreme metal I'm looking for are being released on a regular basis. So I'm gonna try to hear and hoard as much of it as I can for as long as this filth orgy lasts, until the prevailing winds change and all you'll be able to get will be hipster black metal, low effort death metal, scooby doom, teenie-bopper metalcore, symphonic nonsense, post-prog-pansy wankery and sterile tech death. And of course there will always be mainstream swill to pacify the masses irrespective of trends, but that kinda goes without saying.

2 hours ago, markm said:

somehow I found this dude on Youtube...some of his choices gave me a surgical Brute and maybe GG vibe but maybe not nasty enough, some of it seems kind of experimental....checking out some of his recos

A few of those i like, one or two I'm actually considering on my own list, but that Sulphur Aeon album is one of the biggest disappointments of the year, and anyone who likes Curta'n Wall needs their head examined.