What Are You Listening To?

khaos

On 12/23/2023 at 2:33 AM, markm said:

I'm starting to ramp up my 2023 purchases now. I like to curate a nice little annual playlist of albums that will go into solid rotation as we roll into the new year. Still listening to albums to decide what will make the purchase cut.

• Theophonos/Nightmare Vision
  • Malokarpatan/Vertumnus Caesar
  • Cruciamentum/Obsidian Refractions
  • more time with Enslaved/Heimdal-it's worthy

I've been adding a few of your recoms to my wishlist to check out later.

I am an EOTY list vampire, lurking in the shadows to pounce and drink the blood of others ranking efforts .

Edit: I wrote a longer post the other day, something about King Gizzard ... but my bloody work computer blocked me from posting on metal forum. I'm reduced to tapping on my phone. :(

Yep, I can't get out out of the addictive EOY cycle. Find albums that get me excited, buy albums, read more lists, buy more music. I keep meaning to dig into the music I bought, but then more lists pop up and I keep finding albums I kind of like, listen a 2nd and maybe 3rd time and then like them a lot more and buy more. It's like one of those existential depictions of hell, except I'm having too much fun!

Here's what I've been listening to over the past couple of days that I can't get enough of:

The Keening/Little Bird: You ever wonder what Sub Rosa would have sounded like if they did an entire album of the folksy, witchy acoustic bits without any metal? OK, probably not, because you're troo and cvlt and Sub Rosa made arty femme post doom, but I love Sub Rosa. Rebecca Vernon must have been integral to their sound, because she was not part of the The Otolith which I liked but was lacking some depth. Here she produces a mostly acoustic album of ghost stories as near as I can tell with that Sub Rosa violin thing and adds some more orchestration here and there with some random metal adjacent, make that very-like six degrees of separation adjacent- for a kind of gothic chamber music folk noir with hints of doom and it's freaking gorgeous. But it took me a couple of listens because, probably like you, I was listening to a bunch of lowbrow death metal'n'shit and my ears weren't primed for what was an album that sounded like  a sort of mix of Chelsea Wolfe and Loreena Mckennitt. It's really good, assuming you like tasty female witchy folksy gothy acoustic music, and unlike me, you're probably a real metalhead so I know you you'll hate this. Actually, don't even listen to this. 

Witch Ripper/The Flight After the Fall-man their promo blurb in Bandcamp namedrops more stoner oriented bands than you can shake a stick at. But, these guys do kinda, sorta sound like you mixed Mastodon, High on Fire, Queen and maybe David Bowie into a blender. Now, if that isn't enough to get Jon's dick hard, then, I need to dress in a slutty outfit and send him pictures of my pussy. JK, I don't have a pussy. Well, I have two-their names are Connie and Luna and I just cleaned their litter boxes because my wife is visiting her brother. Anyway, Witch Ripper is catchy AF. I can't get enough of it atm.  

Ghorot/Wound-OK, I was just praising the new MIzMOR album which I will buy, because MIZMOR rules.  I need another blackened doom album, like I need a hole in my head, or another boring OSDM album or whatever. Took me a couple of spins but I am digging on this album! The vocals are sick and the guitar sludge reminds me a bit of Eagle Twin in spots whom I love. This is pretty dang good. 

Vastum/Inward to Gethsemane-I love Vastum, but for some reason this didn't connect at first. Now it does. I bought it. Good OSDM with those dual vocals and warped sound. Vastum are one of my favorite DM bands. 

Great Falls/Objects without Pain-So, just in case you think I fall for every album I see listed, this is on a bunch of sites. I'm going to give it another go, but I'm not feeling it now. Apparently, it's a post hardcore, noise/sludge breakup album and, I mean it's not horrible, but I don't get the hype, whatever....I'm also not feeing Afterbirth with those gurgly burby  Demilch vox. I'll take Ken Mode's Void album over this in a heartbeat. Of all the noise albums I've heard (noise in general is having a moment in heavy music, huh? Or maybe it has for a while)-Void is the winner for me with it's eclectic post punk sounds. 

NP: Golgotha's Pyre - On Ravaged Wings

▶︎ On Ravaged Wings | Golgotha's Pyre (bandcamp.com)

a2497256173_10.jpg

Older album, but I had to give it a listen when I saw they were from Duluth MN. It's funny to me how small the metal world becomes with metal from places I've lived or visited frequently. Duluth really isn't that big, and I used to visit that town regularly because of a friend who lived there. Metal really isn't his thing, but I might have to send him an email just to ask if he knows any of these dudes. At the very least Duluth is cold enough that icy black metal actually feels appropriate coming from there.

Arch Enemy - Stigmata (1998)

I bought this album when it came out, probably after reading a glowing review in Metallian.

But apart from a few tracks or passages, it's not my cup of tea. I find melodic death to be a bit lame and far removed from what death metal is supposed to represent.

I do like Johan Liiva's voice, though.

These days, I find Arch Enemy unbearable to watch, whether on stage or in video clips. And it's a shame to see Jeff Loomis still in Michael Amott's shadow. He doesn't belong in this band, Never More ! 😁

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Which one? I still haven't really gotten into the first one.

Ah, didn't realize there were two. The first one was what came up on my Spotify account. I see it was a 2020 release. I'll have to try the new one. It's definitely not a zone album for me, but I always like putting new and different things in my ears.