What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Bori & Uniform Collaboration/Bright New Disease (2023)-checking this one out from a couple of lists. I'm an unabashed Boris fan. They're one of my favorite non-metal-adjacent, metal bands haha. I can barely string a sentence vice avie my ping-pong taste describing heavy music these days without multiple hyphens.

These guys have done so many collabs. Reserving ultimate judgement, but initially, I'd say it veers towards the more metal-for lack of a better word- of Boris' sound. There's a fair amount of experimentation and variety as you'd expect but I do dig the more straightforward aggro slash and burn stripped down hardocre/noise/industrial rippers on this album.

1 minute ago, Kristiko said:

Korn - The Path of Totality (album)

Probably my second-favorite Korn album, only behind "Take a Look in the Mirror".  The dub-step infusion didn't sound out-of-place for them - it was really just a logical continuation of their sound.  The album still sounds good and heavy, and I play it regularly.  Great to see someone is blasting it as well!

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It's odd to have really liked an album and then not given the next one a shot. 

Flick was 1983 Jon-O. Thrash metal (the original 'extreme' metal) had been invented by then with Metallica and Slayer both dropping their debuts towards the end of that year. Exciter dropped their debut in '83 as well (they were a major staple of my listening in the mid 80's) and then Ride the Lightning came along in July 1984, Morbid Tales dropped at the end of '84 (Celtic Frost was another very important band for me in the mid 80's) and so '84 was the year that I basically stopped buying any more hard rock or traditional heavy metal albums and I shifted my focus over primarily to thrash and speed metal and hardcore punk. I was a man in search of the heaviest shit I could find, I didn't have time for 70's rock or trad heavy metal anymore at that point. So '83/'84 marked the last album I ever bought or heard from a lot of different bands that I had previously liked and would have been buying all their albums no questions asked just on the basis of seeing their names on the covers earlier in the 80's. Bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Riot, Motley Crue, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Scorpions, Sabbath, Dio...

It should be noted though that I've never been a massively fanatical AC/DC freak, so it's hard for me to understand the way some of you guys seem to absolutely revere them. Can't even remember the last time I reached for an AC/DC album and listened to it all the way through. They've always just been solidly 'pretty good' to me in the overall scheme of things, especially their 80's stuff because as I'm sure you're aware I'm a metalhead, and they're a rock band stuck in 1978. Now I'm not saying that I don't like hard rock, 'cause I do. But I mean at the time in the mid 80's there was all this new exciting heavy shit coming out, new bands and new sub-genres coming at us from seemingly every direction. What a wonderful time that was to be a heavy music fan.

Not to mention that by the early 80's we were already old enough to drink, so we were going out to the local clubs to see live metal bands play 5 or 6 nights a week from about '81 til I got married in '88 and then from that point it became clear that I was going to be expected to start staying in some evenings. Being in NY we had options too, we'd normally just get in the car, head west, look through the club listings in the local music/entertainment paper to see who was playing where, and we'd figure out which club we were headed to as we were on the way there. Some nights there'd be two or three bands we might have wanted to see and then we had to prioritize.

By 1984 my AC/DC records, as well as other 70's hard rock bands' records and all those other traditional heavy metal bands' I mentioned above's records weren't getting the airtime and they quickly worked their way to the back of the pile. So that's why I've still to this day never heard most of the post '84 albums from almost all of those bands. Fly on the Wall was June '85 and I was already pretty far down the thrash rabbit hole by then. Overkill, Exodus, Anthrax, Onslaught, Kreator, Artillery and even Megadeth all had their albums out by then.

NP: Unfathomable - The Abyss Beckons, Brazil

1 hour ago, JamesT said:

Probably my second-favorite Korn album, only behind "Take a Look in the Mirror".  The dub-step infusion didn't sound out-of-place for them - it was really just a logical continuation of their sound.  The album still sounds good and heavy, and I play it regularly.  Great to see someone is blasting it as well!

I like you JT, so I'm just gonna pretend that I didn't even see this post. 😉

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Flick was 1983 Jon-O. Thrash metal (the original 'extreme' metal) had been invented by then with Metallica and Slayer both dropping their debuts towards the end of that year. Exciter dropped their debut in '83 as well (they were a major staple of my listening in the mid 80's) and then Ride the Lightning came along in July 1984, Morbid Tales dropped at the end of '84 (Celtic Frost was another very important band for me in the mid 80's) and so '84 was the year that I basically stopped buying any more hard rock or traditional heavy metal albums and I shifted my focus over primarily to thrash and speed metal and hardcore punk. I was a man in search of the heaviest shit I could find, I didn't have time for 70's rock or trad heavy metal anymore at that point. So '83/'84 marked the last album I ever bought or heard from a lot of different bands that I had previously liked and would have been buying all their albums no questions asked just on the basis of seeing their names on the covers earlier in the 80's. Bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, Riot, Motley Crue, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Scorpions, Sabbath, Dio...

It should be noted though that I've never been a massively fanatical AC/DC freak, so it's hard for me to understand the way some of you guys seem to absolutely revere them. Can't even remember the last time I reached for an AC/DC album and listened to it all the way through. They've always just been solidly 'pretty good' to me in the overall scheme of things, especially their 80's stuff because as I'm sure you're aware I'm a metalhead, and they're a rock band stuck in 1978. Now I'm not saying that I don't like hard rock, 'cause I do. But I mean at the time in the mid 80's there was all this new exciting heavy shit coming out, new bands and new sub-genres coming at us from seemingly every direction. What a wonderful time that was to be a heavy music fan.

Not to mention that by the early 80's we were already old enough to drink, so we were going out to the local clubs to see live metal bands play 5 or 6 nights a week from about '81 til I got married in '88 and then from that point it became clear that I was going to be expected to start staying in some evenings. Being in NY we had options too, we'd normally just get in the car, head west, look through the club listings in the local music/entertainment paper to see who was playing where, and we'd figure out which club we were headed to as we were on the way there. Some nights there'd be two or three bands we might have wanted to see and then we had to prioritize.

By 1984 my AC/DC records, as well as other 70's hard rock bands' records and all those other traditional heavy metal bands' I mentioned above's records weren't getting the airtime and they quickly worked their way to the back of the pile. So that's why I've still to this day never heard most of the post '84 albums from almost all of those bands. Fly on the Wall was June '85 and I was already pretty far down the thrash rabbit hole by then. Overkill, Exodus, Anthrax, Onslaught, Kreator, Artillery and even Megadeth all had their albums out by then.

NP: Unfathomable - The Abyss Beckons, Brazil

I like you JT, so I'm just gonna pretend that I didn't even see this post. 😉

I appreciate the encouragement, my friend!  I had a feeling you wouldn't be fond of that post!  I was just coming into my pre-teen/teenage years when the whole nu metal explosion happened, so it was part of my formative music years.  I don't listen to the style as much these days, but a few Korn albums, as well as Slipknot, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Godsmack, and Limp Bizkit albums still get some air time for me.  

I actually had somewhat of a reverse experience from yours (that you mentioned in your reply to Jon-O), probably due in part to the time period in which I grew up.  But aside from the nu metal and metalcore, I listened to a lot of death metal and black metal during my high school years.  It's only been in my adult life that I've gotten more into hard rock, rock 'n' roll, and bluesy rock/metal.  

Groove and thrash have always been my first loves.  Traditional heavy metal has made its way up to my 3rd favorite style of metal in the last 5-6 years or so.  I'm not sure if you're a fan of blues-based hard rock/metal, but there's a band called The Devil and the Almighty Blues that is fantastic.  They have 3 albums out as of now, and you can't go wrong with any of them.  It's definitely based in a blues-oriented sound, but it's hard rock/stoner metal in its delivery.  Always great to converse with you, my friend! 

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

AC/DC is one of those bands that are almost ubiquitous in their airplay or even an afternoon as a casual social event. They're just everywhere largely due to them being very unobjectionable to nearly everyone. Back in Black and Highway to Hell are hugely important to the development of radio friendly hard rock. People do get burnt out on them a little over time, but if you're in a car or having a grill out with other people who have a number of differing opinions on almost any type of music they're about as close as you can get to a safe bet. It's why I'm careful not to expose myself to them too often. Helps preserve my enjoyment.

NP: Black Wound - Warping Structure

▶︎ Warping Structure | Black Wound | Dry Cough Records (bandcamp.com)

a3220266243_10.jpg

AC/DC for me are one of those bands that are just there. I rarely reach for one of their albums but they are on my phone and rotate through occasionally when I'm in the car. I know pretty much all the songs and they rarely disappoint but they certainly aren't a go to band these days. Apart from the recent gig I saw snippets of at Power Trip (or whatever it was) for the most part they've always put on a great live show, although I haven't seen them since some time in the 00's.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm sorry to intrude on your conversation, but I've had the same experience with my love of metal.

At first it was Maiden, Saxon, Judas, Twisted Sister, Kiss, DIO. But when Thrash came along, I got a huge slap in the face! My ears bled for that style alone and I gave up on hard rock and 'classic' heavy metal.

At the time, I only knew one AC/DC album because I owned it: Fly on the Wall. I hardly ever listened to it because I didn't like it at all.

Much later, I got interested in AC/DC albums. As I often do when I want to discover an artist, I listen to his first album, then the following ones in chronological order of release. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and I loved the experience. In AC/DC I found something hypnotic and driving in the rhythms and I really liked Bon Scott's vocal timbre. I stopped off at Back in Black, which I also liked, even though I'm not a fan of Brian Johnson's voice.

There are artists like that, who I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to. And then one day, I try... Sometimes my opinion doesn't change at all, sometimes I make a wonderful discovery.

59 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I'm sorry to intrude on your conversation, but I've had the same experience with my love of metal.

At first it was Maiden, Saxon, Judas, Twisted Sister, Kiss, DIO. But when Thrash came along, I got a huge slap in the face! My ears bled for that style alone and I gave up on hard rock and 'classic' heavy metal.

At the time, I only knew one AC/DC album because I owned it: Fly on the Wall. I hardly ever listened to it because I didn't like it at all.

Much later, I got interested in AC/DC albums. As I often do when I want to discover an artist, I listen to his first album, then the following ones in chronological order of release. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and I loved the experience. In AC/DC I found something hypnotic and driving in the rhythms and I really liked Bon Scott's vocal timbre. I stopped off at Back in Black, which I also liked, even though I'm not a fan of Brian Johnson's voice.

There are artists like that, who I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to. And then one day, I try... Sometimes my opinion doesn't change at all, sometimes I make a wonderful discovery.

It’s a similar story for me, my early introduction to hard, rock and metal was through bands, like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera, and for a while, was content with that. These days, it is incredibly rare that I will listen to any of those bands, my taste lies very firmly within the realms of extreme metal something I’m sure 16 year old me would never have dre reamed possible. 

5 hours ago, JamesT said:

I appreciate the encouragement, my friend!  I had a feeling you wouldn't be fond of that post!  I was just coming into my pre-teen/teenage years when the whole nu metal explosion happened, so it was part of my formative music years.  I don't listen to the style as much these days, but a few Korn albums, as well as Slipknot, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Godsmack, and Limp Bizkit albums still get some air time for me.  

I actually had somewhat of a reverse experience from yours (that you mentioned in your reply to Jon-O), probably due in part to the time period in which I grew up.  But aside from the nu metal and metalcore, I listened to a lot of death metal and black metal during my high school years.  It's only been in my adult life that I've gotten more into hard rock, rock 'n' roll, and bluesy rock/metal.  

Groove and thrash have always been my first loves.  Traditional heavy metal has made its way up to my 3rd favorite style of metal in the last 5-6 years or so.  I'm not sure if you're a fan of blues-based hard rock/metal, but there's a band called The Devil and the Almighty Blues that is fantastic.  They have 3 albums out as of now, and you can't go wrong with any of them.  It's definitely based in a blues-oriented sound, but it's hard rock/stoner metal in its delivery.  Always great to converse with you, my friend! 

You know I'm just messin' wiff ya JT. You don't have to justify yourself or your musical choices to me or anyone else. I don't care what music you listen to brother, you can listen to all the nu-metal you like and we'll still be friends. As long as I don't have to listen to it we're gonna be cool. I was already 33 when the first Korn album came out in '94 which supposedly marks the beginning of the "nu-metal" era and that shit simply didn't appeal to my middle aged metalhead sensibilities as it seemed to be commercial drivel aimed more at teenaged school kids. But I can totally understand how someone just coming into the age of musical awareness as a pre-teen adolescent during the height of the nu-metal plague would have lower resistance and therefore be susceptible to infection.

I'm a fan of blues based hard rock because I grew up on blues based hard rock. That's all we had when I was growing up in the 70's, hard rock. Unless you were a pop music, R&B or disco fan or listened to soft-cock radio friendly rock, country or old people's music or avant-garde nonsense or something. (Or whatever the hell Doc was listening to in the 70's.) So I willl always retain a basic appreciation for the style, even if it's not my main musical focus anymore now in my old age. I turned away from "rock" for quite a few years in the 80's and 90's as I chased emerging markets of heaviness, but I've since come back around to hard rock and made my peace with it, found a place for it in my life. Strangely I haven't ever really come back around to traditional heavy metal though. The high-pitched vocals still render it fairly repulsive to me unless it's one of my old favorites from back in the day that gets grandfathered in for purely nostalgic reasons.

I do like a bit of late 90's early 00's hard rock, stoner rock, stoner metal or whatever you want to call it. I'm just real selective about it, so it has to have a certain hard edge to it and I prefer that it be super riffy. The Devil and the Almighty Blues fits in with my taste, stoner rock from Norway, although they are a bit more bluesy and "jam" oriented than most of the riffy "stoner rock" I typically listen to, it evokes memories of old Zeppelin, Traffic and Cream records from my youth. I don't actively seek out hard rock in the way I search high and low for new black and death metal albums, but still I do have my 30 or 40 go-to albums in that hard rockin' style, most of which I've just stumbled over by chance and added to the collection over the years. Some of it would be considered "stoner" and a lot of it crosses the line into what I think most people'd consider punk rock, but as far as I'm concerned it's really all just straight ahead pure hard rock. Being a Yankee from the Big Apple and not a Tar Heel like you I'm not concerned with it being "southern," although back in the day I was a huge fan of what we used to call southern rock, Hatchet, Blackfoot, Skynyrd and the like. And of course I'll always love ZZ Top. That southern 70's stuff still gets spins each year in the summertime.

Some of my go-to hard rock albums:

Supersuckers - The Evil Powers of Rock 'n' Roll, AZ 1999

Sasquatch - Sasquatch II, 2006. LA band, but I believe the main guy Keith Gibbs guitar/vox is originally from Detroit.

Mud City Manglers - Heart Full of Hate, Pittsburgh 2000

Zeke - Kicked In the Teeth, Seattle 1998

Peter Pan Speedrock - Buckle Up and Shove It! Eindhoven Netherlands 2015

The Clamps - Deadly Kick For a Fat Fucker, 2013 Bergamo Italy

Nashville Pussy - High as Hell, Atlanta GA 2000

Unida - Coping With the Urban Coyote, California Mojave desert 1999

Camarosmith - Camarosmith, Seattle 2003

COC - America's Volume Dealer, Raleigh N. Carolina 2000

The Atomic Bitchwax - II, New Jersey 2000

Social D - White Light, White Heat, White Trash, Fullerton CA 1996

3 hours ago, Arioch said:

I'm sorry to intrude on your conversation

You're never intruding Ari, I post these things with hopes of stimulating some conversation, so feel free to jump in anytime.

NP: Chasmdweller - Blood Vortex

Blood Vortex | Chasmdweller (bandcamp.com)

a2023123044_10.jpg

Well the year's coming to a close very swiftly which means year end lists are in heavy consideration. Of course there'll be things I passed over just because of the fickleness of circumstance, and there will always be late game out-of-nowhere surprises slipping through that will make me wonder 'wait a second, how did I miss this?' This album fits that bill very nicely. It reminds me in some ways of the early Incantation demos with just a little European flare. Closest comparison that springs to mind right now would be Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes. Now of course only time will tell if it can stand up to the fiercer metalhead's scrutiny. I just need to remind myself that I am not the gatekeeper of the whole genre, but there is a gate to be sure.

That said I feel very confident ballparking this one in the top twenty-five range for the year with a shot at the top ten. These year end lists are going to be very interesting over the next month or so.

23 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Chasmdweller - Blood Vortex

Well the year's coming to a close very swiftly which means year end lists are in heavy consideration. Of course there'll be things I passed over just because of the fickleness of circumstance, and there will always be late game out-of-nowhere surprises slipping through that will make me wonder 'wait a second, how did I miss this?' This album fits that bill very nicely. It reminds me in some ways of the early Incantation demos with just a little European flare. Closest comparison that springs to mind right now would be Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes. Now of course only time will tell if it can stand up to the fiercer metalhead's scrutiny. I just need to remind myself that I am not the gatekeeper of the whole genre, but there is a gate to be sure.

That said I feel very confident ballparking this one in the top twenty-five range for the year with a shot at the top ten. These year end lists are going to be very interesting over the next month or so.

Interesting take. I like Chasmdweller alright but they're nothing special. The style is great, the vocals are great, but the actual riffs are lacking. And that's coming from someone who prefers meat & potatoes death metal. I'm looking over my death metal short list here, the running list of my favorite death metal albums of the year which currently stands at 25, and this Blood Vortex is not going to be able to crack it. I keep separate lists by sub-genre otherwise my year end lists woud be 90% or more black metal.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Interesting take. I like Chasmdweller alright but they're nothing special. The style is great, the vocals are great, but the actual riffs are lacking. And that's coming from someone who prefers meat & potatoes death metal. I'm looking over my death metal short list here, the running list of my favorite death metal albums of the year which currently stands at 25, and this Blood Vortex is not going to be able to crack it. I keep separate lists by sub-genre otherwise my year end lists woud be 90% or more black metal.

That's probably the best way to track a lot of the 'usually isn't my thing, except for X' albums otherwise you can end up building a jenga tower that just won't stand up with whatever you have from your favored genre. I think what I liked most about that album was the ways they find to make each song distinct. The meat and potatoes dm is pretty reliable, but it can fall toward the bottom of the list pretty quickly since there's about a septermagillion similar albums that could arguably be favorably or not so favorably compared. This one, for me at least, demonstrated a pretty mature level of songwriting that held together and an excellent sense of flow from song to song, and when to add a little flair for fear of boring the listener. The drummer switching in and out of escalating ostinato patterns was the kicker.

That in combination with the fact that I've been disappointed by more than the usual amount of albums this year from the plain jane death metal lane: looking at you Incantation. The fuck was that guitar tone, and why are you scrubbing the barnacles from the underside of your usually reliable ventures. The unkempt scabrous, moldy, and grotesque feel of your sound was always one of your primary appealing factors, and the thing you did better than anyone else. That entire new album sounded like a 'world music' major pretentiously farting through an auto tuned digeridoo. Would have been a shoe-in for top ten, but instead you fell flat. It was worse than putting lipstick on a pig, did you have to spring for the bolt-on tits as well? Bring me bacon. Bring me a contaminated food safety health code violation...

...Okay sorry. Got on a rant there. Apparently I'd been holding that one in. Carry on comrades.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You know I'm just messin' wiff ya JT. You don't have to justify yourself or your musical choices to me or anyone else. I don't care what music you listen to brother, you can listen to all the nu-metal you like and we'll still be friends. As long as I don't have to listen to it we're gonna be cool. I was already 33 when the first Korn album came out in '94 which supposedly marks the beginning of the "nu-metal" era and that shit simply didn't appeal to my middle aged metalhead sensibilities as it seemed to be commercial drivel aimed more at teenaged school kids.

I agree, it's completely generational. Most people's tastes were probably in large part formed during late elementary through middle school. I was 25 in 1990, but I was 15 in 1980. Otherwise who would bother with glam hair metal? Google tells me hair metal spanned 1983 to 1991-so I guess that connects a range of guys in their 40's and 50's. From my younger, younger  years, I was imprinted by  classic rock like Dylan, The Beatles, Floyd, Bowie and Neil Young. But  a lot of my taste was formed between 77-83, so I was turned onto bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, and NWOBHM and hair metal in a big way. Cum on feel the noize. 

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That's probably the best way to track a lot of the 'usually isn't my thing, except for X' albums otherwise you can end up building a jenga tower that just won't stand up with whatever you have from your favored genre. I think what I liked most about that album was the ways they find to make each song distinct. The meat and potatoes dm is pretty reliable, but it can fall toward the bottom of the list pretty quickly since there's about a septermagillion similar albums that could arguably be favorably or not so favorably compared. This one, for me at least, demonstrated a pretty mature level of songwriting that held together and an excellent sense of flow from song to song, and when to add a little flair for fear of boring the listener. The drummer switching in and out of escalating ostinato patterns was the kicker.

That in combination with the fact that I've been disappointed by more than the usual amount of albums this year from the plain jane death metal lane: looking at you Incantation. The fuck was that guitar tone, and why are you scrubbing the barnacles from the underside of your usually reliable ventures. The unkempt scabrous, moldy, and grotesque feel of your sound was always one of your primary appealing factors, and the thing you did better than anyone else. That entire new album sounded like a 'world music' major pretentiously farting through an auto tuned digeridoo. Would have been a shoe-in for top ten, but instead you fell flat. It was worse than putting lipstick on a pig, did you have to spring for the bolt-on tits as well? Bring me bacon. Bring me a contaminated food safety health code violation...

...Okay sorry. Got on a rant there. Apparently I'd been holding that one in. Carry on comrades.

"entire new album sounded like a 'world music' major pretentiously farting through an auto tuned digeridoo"

Hehe that was a good line. I might have to steal the farting through the digeridoo part sometime when I'm critiquing one of our several Aussie board member's listening choices. Assuming Deadly comes back at some point which I think is 50/50. He left the other board one time for like 9 months, eventually came back but he said that when he left he had originallly intended it to be permanent.

Now I shall have no choice but to A/B the new Chasmdweller and the latest Incantation releases back to back and see how they stack up head to head. I remember digging the new 'Tation but could that just be familiarity bias because I know I'm already predisposed like them?