What Are You Listening To?

khaos

36 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

1995 is the clear winner.

Which albums?

1995 for me - some good stuff

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side

Carcass - Swansong (not their best but I like it)

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

Death - Symbolic

Down - NOLA

Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Meshuggah - Erase Destroy Improve

Morbid Angel - Domination

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

Napalm Death - Diatribes

(Also X Factor which along with Virtual XI are Maiden's crappiest albums that I only keep cause I am a Maiden fanboy).

10 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Sortilege - Larmes de héros

▶︎ Sortilège - Larmes de héros | Dying Victims Productions (bandcamp.com)

a4131943129_10.jpg

Ah. 1986 probably takes the cake for me in terms of metal both traditional and extreme emergent styles. I may be biased though. You could write a book about that year in metal alone.

1986, yes, an excellent year for Metal indeed! I was really into Thrash, so Reign in Blood, Master of Puppets, my vinyls were worn out from playing on the turntable.

I see you've been listening to Larmes de Héros by Sortilège. I prefer Métamorphose, released in 1984. More edgy.

7 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Sadus - The Shadow Inside

So it's out now? I pre-ordered it on Bandcamp and this morning I was happy to download the FLAC version and listen to the album as I worked. But nothing...

For the moment, I've refused to listen to the previews.

But never mind! Last night I discovered an album + EP by a Ukrainian band called Cosmic Jaguar. Their thrash is inspired by Watchtower, but also by Cynic (whose Veil of Maya they cover), Atheist and Sadist (they cover Escogido from the Tribe album). I'm in for a treat while I wait for Sadus to arrive.

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Which albums?

You missed a few...

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

Imprecation - Theurgia Goetia Summa

Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim

Driller Killer - Total Fucking Hate

Disfear - Soul Scars

Ritual - The Summoning

Summmoning - Minas Morgul

Misery - Who's the Fool

Integrity - Systems Overload

Extinction of Mankind - Baptised in Shit

Usurper - Diabolosis

Barathrum - Eerie

Immortal - Battles in the North

Molested - Blod-Draum

Vomiturition - A Leftover

Sinister - Hate

Sodom - Masquerade in Blood

Vlad Tepes - March to the Black Holocaust

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity

Cosmic Psychos - Self Totalled

L7 - Hungry for Stink

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You missed a few...

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Sodom - Masquerade in Blood

Ah, those two albums...

Panzerfaust was the first Darkthrone album I listened to. I was discovering Black Metal and I didn't like this album the first few times I listened to it. I thought the sound quality was terrible. But at the same time, there were some riffs that attracted me. I don't listen to it very often but I did last week, I think. It's an album you appreciate over time. Or maybe it's just me.

Masquerade in Blood, that sound! I love the production on this album. I much prefer Persecution Mania, which for me is the best Sodom album, but there are plenty of tracks on Masquerade that I love.

In discovery mode this morning, Ukrainian band Cosmic Jaguar!

With an album released in April 2023 and an EP this month, Cosmic Jaguar play progressive technical thrash heavily inspired by their elders (Cynic, Sadus, Sadist, Atheist, Watchtower).

Chronological listening, so I've just listened to the album:

Cosmic Jaguar - The Legacy of the Aztecs (2023)

Anyone familiar with Atheist's Elements album will find more than a passing resemblance. I clearly had the impression of listening to Elements 2, but in a more nervous way, as if on this first album, Cosmic Jaguar had wanted to make a condensed version of the first 3 Atheist albums.

The technical aspect is omnipresent, as are the progressive elements taking us to the wilds of the ancient world of the Aztecs.

The result is a beautiful album.

My only complaint is the resemblance to Atheist, but I'm waiting to hear the EP released in November to see how the band have evolved AND if they have evolved at all.

But with what I've just listened to, the new Sadus had better be VERY good, because this The Legacy of the Aztecs I'm likely to listen to many times over, so addictive is it on the first listen.

Cosmic Jaguar - The Order of the Jaguar Knights (EP) (2023)

The 3-track EP (+1 Cynic cover), released 7 months after the album, shows a clear evolution in the music. Atheist has been sidelined and the band is leaning more towards Sadus.

I listened to it twice in a row because it's not as easy to get into as the album.

Note the excellent cover of Veil of Maya from Cynic's Focus album.

Cosmic Jaguar, a band who seem to be very productive and who, if not original, deserve to be watched very, very closely.

Slayer - World Painted Blood (2009)

This album marked the end of my love affair with the band. But 3 years earlier, Christ Illusion had restored my faith in the band, who seemed intent on putting God Hates Us All and Diabolus in Musica to one side and returning to their best years (in a much better way than Metallica did on Death Magnetic).

But now Slayer seem to be freewheeling, less nasty. Even Lombardo no longer displays his usual energy when banging on his drums.

There's only one track to take away from this album: Psychopathic Red, which I'd already heard before the album came out and which, for me, is THE last really good Slayer song.

5 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Which albums?

Carcass - Swansong (not their best but I like it)

Death - Symbolic

Down - NOLA

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Meshuggah - Erase Destroy Improve

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

Napalm Death - Diatribes

(Also X Factor which along with Virtual XI are Maiden's crappiest albums that I only keep cause I am a Maiden fanboy).

I have a few of those on my 1995 list too.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

Opeth - Orchid

Abigor - Nachthymnen

My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

Ulver - Bergtatt

Naglfar - Vittra

Disaffected - Vast

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross

Anathema - The Silent Enigma

Death - Symbolic

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

Septic Flesh - Esoptron

Sinister - Hate

Infernal Torment - Man's True Nature

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

Hieronymus Bosch - The Human Abstract

Unanimated - Ancient God Of Evil

Rammstein - Herzeleid

Swans - The Great Annihilator

Alice In Chains - s/t

My 1995 albums that I listen to regularly:

Akhenaton - Divine Symphonies
Crown Of Thorns - The Burning
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Death - Symbolic
Grip Inc. - Power Of Inner Strength
Illdisposed - Submit
Luciferion - Demonication (The Manifest)
No Return - Seasons of soul
Sodom - Masquerade In Blood
Spock's Beard - The Light
The Gathering - Mandylion

40 minutes ago, Arioch said:

My 1995 albums that I listen to regularly:

Akhenaton - Divine Symphonies
Crown Of Thorns - The Burning
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Death - Symbolic
Grip Inc. - Power Of Inner Strength
Illdisposed - Submit
Luciferion - Demonication (The Manifest)
No Return - Seasons of soul
Sodom - Masquerade In Blood
Spock's Beard - The Light
The Gathering - Mandylion

Have you heard this one? You might dig it.

Disaffected - Vast:

NP: Quasarborn - Novo Oružje Protiv Bola

Novo oružje protiv bola | Quasarborn (bandcamp.com)

a3752420122_10.jpg

Woah. Hadn't heard of these guys before. They cut clean through my thrash main vein right out of the gate. Might be a little too clean for some, but I have to say some of the newer thrash bands out there like Xoth or Neverus are really finding some interesting ways to play within the genre while sacrificing almost nothing in terms of high energy go-for-the-throat enthusiasm and craft. I'm not about to declare these newer bands as a full on revival of thrash (God knows we've seen enough thrash resuscitations in recent years) but their craft is clearly serving them well.