What Are You Listening To?

khaos

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You lost me with the ATG comparison because The Crown totally mops the floor with those ATG poseurs!

Deathrace King

If we were talking Slaughter of the Soul onward I would 100% agree, but The Red In The Sky is Ours holds a place in my cold heart. I can acknowledge that Slaughter... may have been historically more important for metal, but in terms of quality songs it falls flat for me. Not to mention that it's been copied and copies made of the copies and copies of those... well you get what I'm saying. It's overdone.

Re AtG I agree, slaughter is completely overdone, I never really enjoyed that album. Anyway, the first three releases so are pretty solid, With Fear… probably being my favourite of the three. GG not appreciating? Stop the presses. This is breaking news… I think most of us know you well enough by now that almost goes without saying my friend, that weird doesn’t always equal bad, even if most of the time I find even my tolerance for the avant-garde is limited

NP: Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

TARDIGRADA - Widrstand (Remastered). Warm and fuzzy.

BEES MADE HONEY IN THE VEIN TREE - Aion. Very nice indeed, but no-one here will like it. Fuck youse all.

CHOIR - Songs For a Tarnished World. Noice.

I have a Tardigrada album. Not that 2012 demo, I have their first full length from '16. But I honestly can't remember much of anything about it now 7 years later so maybe I'll cue that one up here in a minute.

Your Bees Made Honey is actually not bad at all truthfully. I think I really like this. Approximately a zillion times better than your Grid Shitter. I can dig some fuzzed out stoner every now and then. Problem I'm having with this is "Vein Tree" just sounds to me like a euphemism for cock. No not Aker-cock, I mean the one that sticks to your leg on a warm humid day. And if I'm not mistaken wasn't there already a fairly well known album or band with "The Bees Made Honey" in the title? I know I dialed it up one time some years back and all I can remember about it was that it really sucked, whoever that was.

Choir's a'ight. Not great, they could stand to have some more discernable riffs in their maelstrom, but it's not overly dissonant so this is perfectly serviceable for cavernous death.

All things considered I'd say you've gone 3 for 3 tonight with an rbi. What's the deal, Doc? I think you've posted more good solid listenable to enjoyable albums just this weekend than you have in the last 3 months. (Yes I know it's already Monday lunchtime down there bit it's still 10:20 Sunday night here)

29 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Re AtG I agree, Slaughter is completely overdone, I never really enjoyed that album. Anyway, the first three releases so are pretty solid, With Fear… probably being my favourite of the three. GG not appreciating? Stop the presses. This is breaking news… I think most of us know you well enough by now that almost goes without saying my friend, that weird doesn’t always equal bad, even if most of the time I find even my tolerance for the avant-garde is limited

NP: Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum

I wasn't really trying to shit on ATG as much as I just really like The Crown a lot more is what I'm saying. Deathrace King is a monster of an album imho. As I remember, the first three ATG releases were all pretty decent, but I really can't see my way clear to go any higher than decent. They certainly don't come close to The Crown in my world.

Dig the Grave Miasma though 🤘

And I like weird stuff, just not in my music. Weird novels, weird movies, weird humor are all no problem at all. But when it comes to metal, I'll thank you to please keep your weirdness out of it. So for me Blivvington, when we're talking about music, weird almost always equals bad. 99.9999999999% of the time. My tolerance for avant-garde music is nonexistent.

59 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I wasn't really trying to shit on ATG as much as I just really like The Crown a lot more is what I'm saying. Deathrace King is a monster of an album imho. As I remember, the first three ATG releases were all pretty decent, but I really can't see my way clear to go any higher than decent. They certainly don't come close to The Crown in my world.

Dig the Grave Miasma though 🤘

And I like weird stuff, just not in my music. Weird novels, weird movies, weird humor are all no problem at all. But when it comes to metal, I'll thank you to please keep your weirdness out of it. So for me Blivvington, when we're talking about music, weird almost always equals bad. 99.9999999999% of the time. My tolerance for avant-garde music is nonexistent.

I agree re The Crown, killer record, never thought your comment was a slight on AtG. My other comment was just friendly banter mate, everyone’s taste is subjective and your thoughts about avant-garde mirror mine on Blackened DM

NP: Arsis - United in Regret

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And if I'm not mistaken wasn't there already a fairly well known album or band with "The Bees Made Honey" in the title? I know I dialed it up one time some years back and all I can remember about it was that it really sucked, whoever that was.

My guess is that would be Earth, and that album was their (his) follow up to Hex or Printing in the Infernal Method. Doesn't surprise me that you didn't really enjoy that one. They're a band that demands a lot of patience from it's listener. He's also credited with inventing drone with their Earth2 album.

NP: Redeptor - Arthaneum

Arthaneum | Redemptor (bandcamp.com)

a0649365694_10.jpg

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Always found the Crown highly underwhelming though Cobra Speed Venom was decent.

A little surprised to hear that, I had you figured for a fan of theirs for sure. Shows how much I know.

I quite like them and their particular brand of death/thrash. I wouldn't put them up there in the top tier with my most cherished Swedish death metal bands: Grave, Necrophobic, Vomitory, Sorcery, Centinex, Wombbath, Nominon, Seance, Karnarium, Kaamos or Serpent Obscene. They're not a band I listen to even as often as every month or two. But when I do, I can run off 3 or 4 or more Crowns in a row no problem.

In terms of how much I enjoy them I'd have to rank them ahead of a lot of other Swedish bands like: ATG, The Haunted, Witchery, Bewitched, Defleshed, Dark Tranquility, Hypocrisy, Unleashed, Tribulation, Lik, Entrails, Vanhelgd, Gorement, Demonical, Dismember, or any Entombed album other than LHP. And I like most of these bands, (except The Haunted, Unleashed and Tribulation) I'd just rank The Crown ahead of them.

The Crown - Eternal Death, Sweden 2002

Serpent Obscene - Devastation, Sweden 2003

Wombbath - Downfall Rising, Sweden 2015

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

As long as it's a goat one.  He only likes them goat penises.  Wonder if they're ribbed for extra pleasure?  🤔

Goatpenis Interview 2011

Goatpenis I'd have to rank ahead of The Crown. But of course they're not Swedish. Can't think of any Brazilian death metal bands I'd rank over Goatpenis except Fossilization, Escarnarium, and I guess probably Grave Desecrator.

Goatpenis - Depleted Ammunition, war metal Brazil 2011

This morning on the train :

Mercyless - Abject Offerings (1992) - Death

Incantation - Unholy Deification (2023) - Death

Nuclear Assault - The Plague (1987) - Thrash

Nuclear Assault - Survive (1988) - Thrash

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (1999) - Heavy

Akhlys - Melinoë (2020) - Black

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

A little surprised to hear that, I had you figured for a fan of theirs for sure. Shows how much I know.

I quite like them and their particular brand of death/thrash. I wouldn't put them up there in the top tier with my most cherished Swedish death metal bands: Grave, Necrophobic, Vomitory, Sorcery, Centinex, Wombbath, Nominon, Seance, Karnarium, Kaamos or Serpent Obscene. They're not a band I listen to even as often as every month or two. But when I do, I can run off 3 or 4 or more Crowns in a row no problem.

Wombbath - Downfall Rising, Sweden 2015

I've been making an effort lately to really appreciate Wombbath. They've always seemed like a legacy band to me. Their pedigree is unfuckwithable in the community, but it's still been weird since each of their albums has it's own identity so I still struggle to find that classic "perfect" Wombbath album for me. I like them though and I'm fairly positive I'll come around to them eventually.

NP: Slung from a Tree - Voyage into Cosmos

▶︎ Voyage Into Cosmos | Slung From A Tree | Cursed Monk Records (bandcamp.com)

a0129122576_10.jpg

Oh shit. Can somebody go get Chuck out of the black hole please before he starts in on Mathew McConaughey's speech from Intersteller. I seriously cannot sit through that nonsense again.

Blackbraid - Blackbraid I (2022)

After numerous listens over many months, I still don't get the hype here.  An absolute marketing machine if you make the mistake of subscribing to anything of his yet there is not the same level of industrious efficiency to the music unfortunately.  Not crap by any means but massively over-hyped I think.

6 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Blackbraid - Blackbraid I (2022)

After numerous listens over many months, I still don't get the hype here.  An absolute marketing machine if you make the mistake of subscribing to anything of his yet there is not the same level of industrious efficiency to the music unfortunately.  Not crap by any means but massively over-hyped I think.

I have both albums. Couldn't agree more. Just don't hear anything special here. Not terrible, but not deserving the hype.

Torche - Harmonicraft - criminally underrated band. Nothing else sounds like Torche unless it's Floor which was a precursor with most of the same folks involved. The melodies are unusual but so damn catchy at the same time. Too bad they're done.

11 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

If we were talking Slaughter of the Soul onward I would 100% agree, but The Red In The Sky is Ours holds a place in my cold heart. I can acknowledge that Slaughter... may have been historically more important for metal, but in terms of quality songs it falls flat for me. Not to mention that it's been copied and copies made of the copies and copies of those... well you get what I'm saying. It's overdone.

For me At The Gates starts with the phenomenal Terminal Spirit Disease and ends with the excellent Slaughter of the Soul.

Everything else is either meh or irritating.

I actually think The Haunted's first four albims (At The Gates members) blow away most of ATGs discography save those two albums listed above.

But then I am a thrash dude first.

6 hours ago, Dead1 said:

For me At The Gates starts with the phenomenal Terminal Spirit Disease and ends with the excellent Slaughter of the Soul.

Everything else is either meh or irritating.

I actually think The Haunted's first four albims (At The Gates members) blow away most of ATGs discography save those two albums listed above.

But then I am a thrash dude first.

I bought three of the first four Haunted albums before I gave up on them. Revolver, One Kill Wonder and The Haunted Made Me Do It. This was back in '04 - '05 when I was first really getting into extreme metal and they were somewhat of a gateway band for me into harsher vocalled stuff. I heard and bought Revolver first since it was their '04 new release, and then started working my way back.

How can you say they're thrash? They're sort of a groovy commercial melodeath band. The Crown being a death/thrash band is much more thrash than the Haunted. I don't hear any thrash at all in the Haunted's first 4 albums, and those are the only 4 of theirs I've ever heard to base my opinion on. (I was present when they played MDF one year in the mid 2010's but I wasn't really paying attention as the group I was with that year elected to use The Haunted's set to go get food and then peruse the merch tables) I get that it's pretty catchy accessible stuff and that's why a lot of people like them. But that's also the reason why I don't like them since I left almost all my 'gateway' bands behind somewhere around '07 when I found some metalheads on a metal forum who helped me graduate up to big boy extreme metal.

But setting aside personal taste for a minute and which bands each of us may personally like better, objectively speaking The Haunted are simply not a thrash band. At least not in any sense of the word "thrash" as I understand it, while The Crown clearly are. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep enjoying the Haunted's records if you do, that's entirely up to you. I just believe in calling things what they really are. And I know you do too because you're always calling out the specific points at which various popular 80's thrash bands stopped playing thrash.

I can remember reading articles in the mid 2000's that claimed a lot of bands were some sort of modern thrash: Trivium, Shadow's Fall, The Haunted, Himsa, Bodom, Bullet for my Valentine...and none of those turned out to be thrash bands. Seems like a lot of people have trouble understanding and recognizing what thrash is.

At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease, 1994. It's been a minute since I've heard this so I suppose a refresher is in order. Like this a lot better than the Haunted, that's for sure, but it's still not up to The Crown level intensity imho. Good record, but I could not call this phenomenal.

8 hours ago, navybsn said:

I have both albums. Couldn't agree more. Just don't hear anything special here. Not terrible, but not deserving the hype.

I haven't been exposed to any of the hype because I don't go anywhere on the internet where anyone is talking about metal except here. But I think this 2nd Blackbraid album is excellent, I've played it a ton and it has most certainly earned itself a spot in my top 20 black metal albums of 2023.

11 hours ago, Arioch said:

This morning on the train :

Mercyless - Abject Offerings (1992) - Death

Incantation - Unholy Deification (2023) - Death

Nuclear Assault - The Plague (1987) - Thrash

Nuclear Assault - Survive (1988) - Thrash

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (1999) - Heavy

Akhlys - Melinoë (2020) - Black

That is one long-ass motherfucking train ride. How many hundreds or thousands of kilometers is your commute?