What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Dusk Cult - Night Sky Revelations

▶︎ Night Sky Revelations | Dusk Cult (bandcamp.com)

a1415537713_10.jpg

I love the thick and clear sound on this one. There's more than enough low-end to sustain the whole structure. If I have any complaints it's when the record settles down some it tends to lapse into quieter looser plucked chord changes that it was just playing with full force. It's only a minor complaint though since they only do that sparingly as it should be.

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

NP - MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - Inner Mounting Flame. I haven't listened to this album for a few years. It's interesting to me to remember the hype and even criticism of Billy Cobham's drumming back in the day - he was an unprecedented overpowering rock noisemaker. Nope. He is a very adept but tidy jazz drummer well adapted to the rockier forms of this music.

I gotta say it's ridiculous to me that anyone would criticize Billy Cobham's playing with Mahavishnu. Maybe they felt threatened? He's a freight train with finesse. I think he's my fave drummer with them even though the album I like most is Visions Of The Emerald Beyond.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Just call them 'Cock. One syllable, no ambiguity whatsoever. Everyone loves saying cock.

100% Thatguy approved.

14 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I gotta say it's ridiculous to me that anyone would criticize Billy Cobham's playing with Mahavishnu. Maybe they felt threatened? He's a freight train with finesse. I think he's my fave drummer with them even though the album I like most is Visions Of The Emerald Beyond.

There was some criticism I think that he gave too much rock feeling but mostly he was a revelation. He is so much a jazz drummer though and so tasteful. My favourite Mahavishnu album remains 'Birds Of Fire', but I'll give Visions.. another listen today to compare and contrast.

14 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Visions > Flame for me too, but I'll take all the McLaughlin I can get.

Miles Davis - Tribute to Jack Johnson

The Guitar Trio - Friday Night in San Francisco 

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Worlds  ...John, put a shirt on dude, and tell your drummer to stop singing. Fucks sake.

What is this? Track 1 I hear all kinds of percussion, I hear keyboards. That's about all I hear. Track 2 there's a clean guitar in there somewhere briefly and a bunch of weird noises which I'll assume are keys? Maybe a bass guitar or are those low notes keys too? And lots more percussion. These dudes like percussion. Well it was the 70's they were a little alternate percussion crazy back then. Who is Mr McLaughlin and what does he play? And why hasn't he taken your advice in the last three and a half hours and put his damn shirt on? Oh shit track 3 someone's softly singing. Good gawd. Alright I'm out if there's gonna be singing. Maybe I'll try the Zappa instead. He sings sometimes too but he has a very pleasantly deep voice.

13 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Mammon's Throne - S/T

This ain't terrible. They could pick up the pace a little bit.

Loved the cover on that Expulser so I clicked, but the music was boring. I only stayed about 10 minutes then I left to try the Mahavishnu thing.

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What is this? Track 1 I hear all kinds of percussion, I hear keyboards. That's about all I hear. Track 2 there's a clean guitar in there somewhere briefly and a bunch of weird noises which I'll assume are keys? Maybe a bass guitar or are those low notes keys too? And lots more percussion. These dudes like percussion. Well it was the 70's they were a little alternate percussion crazy back then. Who is Mr McLaughlin and what does he play? And why hasn't he taken your advice in the last three and a half hours and put his damn shirt on? Oh shit track 3 someone's softly singing. Good gawd. Alright I'm out if there's gonna be singing. Maybe I'll try the Zappa instead. He sings sometimes too but he has a very pleasantly deep voice.

Zappa rules. I think Ike Willis was the one with the pleasantest and deepest voice on that album though.

The vocals on that Mahavishnu album are a tough pill for me as well... believe it or not I don't like stuff like that very much more than you do, and tonight I couldn't hang. John McLaughlin plays guitar and also did synth on this one. Band leader for Mahavishnu. Sick chops. The Miles Davis album that Navy posted is an early recording with him.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This ain't terrible. They could pick up the pace a little bit.

Loved the cover on that Expulser so I clicked, but the music was boring. I only stayed about 10 minutes then I left to try the Mahavishnu thing.

Yeah I didn't say too much about Mammon's Throne since I was only on the first track. I think when it comes to some of the harsher slow motion style of doom I don't think I've met a metalhead yet who's a fan of the genre and doesn't love Hooded Menace. That includes me to for what it's worth. I can see Hooded Menace's fingerprints on all over this. That poor frontman, though; he just can't sing. It's not like his range is all that small either. He's got about the range of Daniel Bryntse from Isole, but where they make a lot from a little, this guy's trying to test his limits, and it just doesn't work for me. I can hear him pushing his diaphragm far beyond what his vocals are suited for. It's unfortunate because you can tell he wants nothing more that to let out a full throated Marcolin style belt and it drags everything down.

The good news is that the rest of it is stellar trudging enmired doomy doominess that avoids being sludge very successfully. There's hope for the band yet.

NP: Hallows Eve - Tales of Terror

Tales of Terror | Hallows Eve (bandcamp.com)

a2482339669_10.jpg

It's a classic for a reason.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Zappa rules. I think Ike Willis was the one with the pleasantest and deepest voice on that album though.

The vocals on that Mahavishnu album are a tough pill for me as well...

I never liked the Mahavishnu vocals and I think I'll stick to my non vocal favourites. GG, John M is one of the all time best guitar players. I saw him live with a band he had with L Shankar the violinist. I don't remember who the rhythm section was but they were hot. The show started with band, with L Shankar playing. Great, Then a figure stepped onstage with a guitar strapped on, the spotlight hit him and out came the most intense music you could imagine. One of my highlight gigs.

8 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That Miles Davis album that Navy posted is an early recording with him.

THE fusion jazz guitarist. No one else comes close. Dude is unfucking real. You may not like fusion @GoatmasterGeneral, but there's no way you could listen to that album and not appreciate the talent. And there's no singing. Promise. He's even wearing a shirt.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Airbourne - "Breakin' Outta Hell"

Airbourne - "Boneshaker"

Airbourne - "Runnin' Wild"

Black Water Rising - "Pissed and Driven"

Some really cool groove with this band.  Some of their songs touch a bit too much on a southern rock vibe for me.  Southern/groove metal is my favorite sub genre, but when it softens up to southern "rock", it gets way too close to a country sound, which is my least favorite type of music by far.  So I don't have all of their stuff, but in picking out the heavier stuff, they're pretty solid.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond LP 1975. Wow, I've never heard this before but I kinda feel like I have because it's just so quintessentially 70's sounding, which brings a flood of all kinds of memories. I don't listen to anything remotely like this day to day, but obviously I've heard tons of old 70's music from this era as I became musically aware in the 70's, so it feels very familiar. And yeah I can appreciate the talent and the artistry even if fusion in general isn't super appealing to me because it's too clean, too refined, too civilized. It feels a bit pretentious at times, I like a more primitive approach. But every now and then I can appreciate something mellow like this from outside my normal sphere of interest. And at least on this album there are some more varied and distorted sounds, they really mix it up from track to track it's not just 40 minutes of that super clean jazz guitar wankery that I was expecting. They've got a rock violin player and everything. (I've heard the name Jean-Luc Ponty but didn't know who he was) So three quarters of the way through I can say I definiteely like this album (except for the little birdies chirping and I'm not nuts about the brass) even if I'm probably not gonna buy it and slip it into the rotation alongside my my black and death metal and punk. This is hitting me much better than the Inner Worlds that I tried last night.