What Are You Listening To?

khaos

38 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Alright. That's it. That's the next series I'm reading. Put it off for too long. Gotta see what all this hullabaloo is about.

In the meantime it turns out I actually have some Malazan themed death metal. Huh. Who knew?

NP: Azath - Through A Warren of Shadow

Through a Warren of Shadow | Azath (bandcamp.com)

a1629841772_10.jpg

I just thought it was a theme of pimp ass dragons or something. Gotta get those books.

Yeah I enjoy that Azath a lot.

As for the books, my humble advice is to try to give yourself permission to not understand wtf is going on in the grand scheme because the number of characters and references is just far too many. The author just plops you right down in a fully formed universe with the meta-plot in full swing. It takes a few books before some semblance of structure starts to reveal itself, but all along there are new characters and sub-plots introduced with no context. Somehow all of that does not take away from the incredible world building. Anyway, a lot of people lose patience. There are some pretty helpful guides and forums online, but I personally recommend using them sparingly at first. Once you start putting the pieces together yourself and you remember stuff that didn't make sense at first, but then 2 or 3 books later it does, its incredibly rewarding. But don't be afraid to just go along for the ride at first. Again, just my opinion!

Good luck! Would love to hear what you think after book 1.

1 hour ago, Hungarino said:

This is awesome. When you are done posting would it be possible to post the whole thing as a list?

You mean the complete list of 200 bands, or do you also need the specific albums I'm using for each post? Because the list is the bands, I'm just picking these albums based on whatever I can find easiest on Youtube.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

148. Amebix - Sonic Mass, Devon UK, would have guessed they were from oop north.

147. Social Distortion - White Light White Heat White Trash, Fullerton, Orange County CA

11 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

169. Förgjord - Ilmestykset

(Highly recommend)

Förgjord is currently tied for #72. Killer band. You've used Ilmestykset so now I'll have to pick a different album.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Förgjord is currently tied for #72. Killer band. You've used Ilmestykset so now I'll have to pick a different album.

Their sound just slays! I haven't heard a bad album yet.

---

166. Mgla - Age of excuse

165. Korgonthurus - Kuolleestasyntynyt

164. Judas iscariot - Heaven in flames

29 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Exactly the JI record I’d choose too.

Yep, that's the one I chose. And now I'll have to choose that same Korgonthurus record he used as well because they're up next and that's the record. 

146. Korgonthurus - Kuolleestasyntynyt, Finland  (285)

145. Odious Devotion - Odious Devotion, Finland. (286) A somewhat overlooked band I can't seem to get enough of these dudes. Or dude as the case may be.

4 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Oh, I see. I mean, whatever is easiest probably. As long as you have Cold Lake somewhere in there :)

OK when I get to Celtic Frost I'll use Cold Lake just for you. But it could be a week or two, they're sitting at #13.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:
3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Exactly the JI record I’d choose too.

Yep, that's the one I chose. And now I'll have to choose that same Korgonthurus record he used as well because they're up next and that's the record. 

Shit, didn't remember to check what JI you put. I'm not autist enough. Kuolleestasyntynyt is the only album to choose.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:
7 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Oh, I see. I mean, whatever is easiest probably. As long as you have Cold Lake somewhere in there :)

OK when I get to Celtic Frost I'll use Cold Lake just for you. But it could be a week or two, they're sitting at #13.

My CF comes slightly before, but you can keep the Cold lake. With your pace you might get there sooner anyway.

---

163. Iku-turso - Pakana

162. Gnaw their tongues - L'arrivée de la terne mort triomphante

Ambient, not exactly metal.

161. Abscess - Through the cracks of death

Forgjord is amazing. I really need to finish listening to their discography. As it stands I've only heard Ajasta Ikuisuuteen and Sielunvihollinen, but they're both excellent.

NP: Cult of Scarecrow - s/t

▶︎ CULT OF SCARECROW | Cult Of Scarecrow | CULT OF SCARECROW (bandcamp.com)

a0933281959_10.jpg

Hmmm. They're really reminding me of something I can't place my finger on, and not something good either. Maybe one of those pseudo-grunge bands that got radio airplay when I was younger, like solo Jerry Cantrell or Days of the New or something similiar. Either way, even if they're really calling this doom, it's not a form of doom I like. They can have the most doom name, lyrics, and song lengths of anybody, it's still very early aughts last dying gasp of radio-grunge to me.

24 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Forgjord is amazing. I really need to finish listening to their discography. As it stands I've only heard Ajasta Ikuisuuteen and Sielunvihollinen, but they're both excellent.

They sound more 'brighter' on the last three albums.

---

160. Eternal solstice - the Wish is father to the thought

159. Morgoth - Odium

158. Caedes cruenta - Of ritual necrophagia and mysterious ghoul cults

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Förgjord is amazing. I really need to finish listening to their discography. As it stands I've only heard Ajasta Ikuisuuteen and Sielunvihollinen, but they're both excellent.

That's funny, out of 6 Förgjord albums you've only heard the first two, and I've only heard the last 3. I did listen to a bit of the debut Ajasta Ikuisuteen last night, or I guess it was this morning actually before I went to sleep and it sounded a bit different than what I'm used to from them. I'll go back to that today. Their 5th full length Laulu Kuolemasta (A song about death) is the one you need to hear though, that one kills. Although everything I've heard from them has been top notch. The name Sielunvihollinen (Enemy of the Soul) always confuses me because I think of the band. Another fantastic Finnblack band yet to come on the GG hit parade, I have them tied for #47.

144. Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape, Denmark  (287)

143. Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams, New Jersey

That's funny, out of 6 Förgjord albums you've only heard the first two, and I've only heard the last 3. I did listen to a bit of the debut Ajasta Ikuisuteen last night, or I guess it was this morning actually before I went to sleep and it sounded a bit different than what I'm used to from them. I'll go back to that today. Their 5th full length Laulu K

They changed label after the third album to Werewolf records run by Werwolf.

---

157. Ancient rites - Rvbicon

156. Amen corner - Jachol ve tehila

155. Regurgitate - Effortless regurgitation of bright red blood

4 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

you can keep the Cold Lake.

---

163. Iku-turso - Pakana

Kiitos, se on erittäin antelias sinulta. (for the non Finnish speakers: thank you, that's very generous of you)

---

Love Iku-Turso, very unique sound. Pakana's the only one of theirs I have though, so they didn't get enough plays to make my top 200. I liked their '22 album well enough but just never got around to picking it up.

Can I make it to #100 and be halfway home today? Probably a bit too ambitious to think I could post 22 pairs of bands in one day. Not if I'm going to try to listen to most of them anyway. Alright then, the goal is to reach 100 by Friday night/Saturday morning whatever time I go to sleep.

142. Nekkrofukk- Ejakkulation Evil Storm of Perverse Goatsodomy, Poland. Found this band purely by chance about 5 or 6 years ago. I was looking for some album that had no digital release, and I found it on some European distro but I didn't think it was cost effective to just order one CD considering the exorbitant trans-Atlantic shipping costs. So I scrolled through the dude's shit and found a few more $5 CD's to round out the order. This 2016 full-length was not one of them, all I have are the 4 EP's. Found his two latest full lengths from '19 & '21 on Bandcamp, and I'd love to have the first two full lengths as well, but they're hard to find.

141. Anti - Anti, Germany. I love this band so much. They only have two albums which I only just discovered a year and a half ago when they released this, their 2nd one which came after a 15 year drought since the 2006 debut. But I've played these 18 tracks 288 times in 18 months (and that's not even counting any of the numerous Youtube plays) which was enough to get the band up to #141. I'm sure in a few more years they'll work their way up into my top 30 or 40. They're calling this 'depressive black metal' but I would disagree with that assessment. To an extent maybe I can see it, there are plenty of slower to midpaced gazey melancholy parts on here, but it's not slow and gloomy all the way through, they do have some more upbeat shit on here too. Get a real Bathory vibe on the last track Ride With the Devil.

140. Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritüs Flesh, France  (292) Can't say either of these two bands are particular favorites of mine, they're both just OK, I could take 'em or leave 'em. But I just keep buying their albums for some reason in hopes that they'll get better or something maybe? In any event, I've now accumulated several albums from each of these artists which have managed to rack up a few hundred scrobbles so on the list they must go.

139. Mork - Eremittens Dal,  Norway (293)

Kiitos, se on erittäin antelias sinulta. (for the non Finnish speakers: thank you, that's very generous of you)

Not bad, mr. VuohiMestariKenraali.

You can say it like this: "Kiitos, erittäin anteliasta sinulta."

I'm sure the whole lot of you english natives raise an eyebrow to my writings some time.

Love Iku-Turso, very unique sound. Pakana's the only one of theirs I have though, so they didn't get enough plays to make my top 200. I liked their '22 album well enough but just never got around to picking it up.

Wouldn't have even noticed them if a friend didn't know their vocalist. Saw them live last year. They played first in 2nd day of fest. when everyone was still curing from hangover. They deserved better.

141. Anti -

This countdown is starting to pay off. Loved the debut when it came out, didn't know there is a new one. I have to give it a spin very soon.

---

154. Forgotten woods - As the wolves gather

153. Armagedda - Only true believers

152. Necrophobic  - Darkside

Another letdown in this countdown, because physical albums don't get scrobbles. I leave Nocturnal silence for GG.

138. The F.U.'s - My America, hardcore from Bwoston Mass. These guys put out my favorite crossover album of all time in 1986 called 'We Are Not Amused' under the band name of Straw Dogs. So then I had to go back and track down all of their earlier hardcore stuff from when they went by The F.U.'s

137. Sick of It All - Just Look Around, NYHC

NP: Chamber of Mirrors - Moonlight Decay

▶︎ Moonlight Decay | Chamber of Mirrors (bandcamp.com)

a4244459359_10.jpg

2 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Darkthrone - Astral Fortress (2022)

Newer Darkthrone huh? I haven't lost track of Fenriz and co. as I have some other bands, but I think I was waiting for the hype and of course the counterhype to go down with this one. I've found Darkthrone albums at least since around FOAD era are best listened to as if in a vacuum and I was somehow unaware of their status in the metal scene.

OK.

Thatguy wants to get a word in edgewise.

I picked one of GGs squoggles - one he praised quite highly - and I'm calling 'emperor's new clothes.' Anti - ANTI. This is not good. It's aimless bellowing over featureless strumming of banal chords. Now, I like bellowing as much as the next metalhead, but there seems to be no point to any of it here and the music is just dull. I dipped into 4 or 5 of the tracks and they all sounded the same.

ENSLAVED - Axioma Ethica Odini

ODRAZA - Rzeczom