Best death metal 2010s

Dead1

3 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Not sure how many of those you'll end up liking, but overall I find that to be a really good list. I enjoy probably about 85 - 90% of those bands. Found a couple of new ones to try as well

I intend to check a few of the unknowns out.  Most of the major label stuff I've already heard.

My big issue with modern death metal is it's often lacking in bite in terms of production - strangely too dense yet too clean.  

52 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

My big issue with modern death metal is it's often lacking in bite in terms of production - strangely too dense yet too clean.  

I think I get what you're saying....I find the "buzzsaw" sound from a lot of the recent 3rd rate HM2 copycat bands seems to have an almost artificial note to it that isn't there with the 90's bands. It's not clean, because it still has that recognizable fuzzy tone, but it doesn't sound quite right either.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

That being said I don’t find Morgoth overly interesting

They're not a band I reach for a lot, but I always enjoyed early Morgoth. They kind of remind of what Death would have sounded like if Chuck hadn't gone in a more technical/progressive direction

8 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I think I get what you're saying....I find the "buzzsaw" sound from a lot of the recent 3rd rate HM2 copycat bands seems to have an almost artificial note to it that isn't there with the 90's bands. It's not clean, because it still has that recognizable fuzzy tone, but it doesn't sound quite right either.

They're not a band I reach for a lot, but I always enjoyed early Morgoth. They kind of remind of what Death would have sounded like if Chuck hadn't gone in a more technical/progressive direction

I hear it, Resurrection Absurd is fine, but the record on that list? Yawn…

I find it hard to see the fine line between these sub-genres sometimes, but I did try to cut out most of the black/death and death/doom albums I had mixed in here from when I made this list the first time, and for the most part I just left what I think of as the straight-up death metal albums, only in hopes that my list wouldn't be stupidly, excessively long. I had originally started making this list last year with the intention of making a top 100 all-time death metal albums list for that thread. But it ended up being so goddamned long, I was up over 300 albums so I just abandoned the idea altogether. But I kept the rough draft of that list and now I see this thread and I think I might be able to make a top 100 death metal albums from the 2010's list.

Threw in 2020 as a bonus because there was some good shit that year. I'm sure I won't be able to get it down to exactly 100, but I'll get it as close as I can. I've decided arbitrarily that no year shall have more than 13 entries. This list is not meant to be some kind of a final word on death metal, I'm sure there's plenty of good shit I've missed. These are just some of the death metal albums I've accumulated from the 2010's that I think are particularly good. No prog here, no tech, no avant-garde, no Portal, no Gorguts, no heavy dissonance, no weirdness, just death metal made in alignment with the 'old school' aesthetics and traditions. The albums listed for each year are in no particular order.

Bastard Priest - Under the Hammer of Destruction   Sweden
Grave - Burial Ground     Sweden
Grave Miasma - Realm of Evoked Doom   UK
Grave Ritual - Euphoric Hymns From the Altar of Death   USA
Vasaeleth - Crypt Born & Tethered to Ruin   USA
Cemetery Urn - The Conquered Are Burned   AUS
Brutally Deceased - Dead Lovers' Guide   Czechia
Diocletian - War of All Against All    NZ
Father Befouled - Morbid Destitution of Covenant    USA          9

Disma - Towards the Megalith   USA
Embrace of Thorns - Praying for Absolution  Greece
Vastum - Carnal Law   USA
Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors of Death   USA
Corpsesessed - The Dagger & the Chalice  Finland
Necrovorous - Funeral for the Sane   Greece
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal   USA
Paganizer - Into the Catacombs   Sweden
Vomitory - Opus Mortis VIII      Sweden                         9               18

Grave - Endless Procession of Souls   Greece
Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance   USA
Charon - Sulphur Seraph   Germany
Chapel of Disease - Summoning Black Gods  Germany
Rattenfänger - Epistolae Obscurorum Virorum   Ukraine
Karnarium - Otapamo Pralaja  Sweden
Father Befouled - Revulsion of Seraphic Grace   USA
Desecresy - The Doom Skeptron   Finland
Ignivomous - Contragenesis    AUS
Undergang - Til Døden os Skiller   Denmark
Resurgency - False Enlightenment   Greece
Black Breath - Sentenced to Life   USA
Stench of Decay - S/T (comp)   Finland (normally wouldn't have a comp on my list but this was as close as they ever came to releasing a full length)                                      13            31

Krypts - Unending Degradation    FInland
Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus qui Sunt Eius   UK
Purtenance - Awaken From Slumber    Finland
Sorcery - Arrival at Six   Sweden
Vastum - Patricidal Lust   USA
Tyrant Goatgaldrakona - Horns in the Dark   Hungary
Irkallian Oracle - Grave Ekstasis    Sweden           
Obsecration - Into the Bloodemonium   Greece
Necrofagore - Macabre Finding   Peru
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita USA
Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum  UK
Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide    Germany            12        43

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall   Greece
Lie In Ruins - Towards Divine Death    Finland
Temple of Void - Of Terror and the Supernatural   USA
Desecresy - Chasmic Transcendence   Finland
Centinex - Redeeming Filth   Sweden
Death Vomit - Gutted by Horrors   Chile
Diocletian - Gesundrian    NZ
Blood Urn - ...of Gory Sorcery and Death  Austria
Necroholocaust - Holocaustic Goat Metal  Canada
Nightfell - The Living Ever Mourn  USA
Trenchrot - Necronomic Warfare   USA
Oraculum - Sorcery of the Damned    Chile                          12          55

Grave - Out of Respect for the Dead   Sweden
Triumvir Foul - Triumvir Foul   USA
Purtenance - ...to Spread the Flame of Ancients   Finland
Gouge - Beyond Death   Norway
Mefitic - Woes of Mortal Devotion   Italy
Hic Iacet - The Cosmic Trance Into the Void  Spain
Grave Ritual - Morbid Throne   USA
Amputory - Ode to Gore  Finland
Necropsy - Buried in the Woods   Finland
Nightfell - Darkness Evermore   USA
Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death   USA
Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages    UK  
Disrupted - Morbid Death     Sweden                         13           68

Cadaveric Incubator - Unburied Abominations  Finland
Witch Vomit - A Scream From the Tomb Below   USA
Coffin Lust - Manifestation of Inner Darkness  AUS
Serpent Ascending - Ananku   Finland
Black Fucking Cancer - S/T    USA
Altarage - Nihl    UK
Profane Order - Marked By Malice    Canada
Ruinous - Graves of Ceaseless Death    USA
Infernal Curse - Apocalipsis   Argentina
Sacramental Blood - Ternion Demonarchy  Serbia  (yeah, he's channelling John Tardy but it's still good)       10       78

Diabolical Messiah - Demonic Weapons Against the Sacred    Chile
Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape    Denmark
Incinerator -  Rotten Flesh Macabre    Poland
Blasphemer - Blasphemer  UK
Cemetery Urn - Cemetery Urn   AUS
Necrot - Blood Offerings    USA
Necroblood - Collapse of the Human Race   France
Winds of Leng - Horrid Dominion   USA
Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing   USA
Father Befouled - Desolate Gods   USA
Temple of Void - Lords of Death   USA
Kalopsia - Angelplague     USA
Aposento - Bleed to Death     Spain                           13         91

Outre-Tomb - Necrovortex    Canada
Outer Heaven - Realms of Eternal Decay  USA
Ritual Necromancy - Disinterred Horror   USA
Cemetery Urn - Barbaric Retribution   AUS
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality  USA
Stygian Obsession - Form is Void  USA
Wombripper - From the Depths of Flesh     Russia                7            98

Blasphemathory - War, Blasphemy & Divine Destruction   Mexico
Witch Vomit - Buried Deep in a Bottomless Grave   Portland
Vultur - Drowned in Gangrenous Blood  Greece
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance  Canadia
Desecresy - Towards Nebulae  Finland 
Rattenfänger - Geisslerlieder  Ukraine
Coffins - Beyond the Circular Demise   Japan
The Black Vomit - The Herald of Doom Returns   Netherlands
Fetid - Steeping Corporeal Mess  Seattle/Portland
Fulci - Tropical Sun   Italy
Vastum - Orifical Purge  SF California
Cerebral Rot - Odious Descent Into Decay  Seattle                    12         110

Of Feather and Bone - Sulfuric Disintegration   Denver
Invocation - Attunement to Death   Chile  
Pneuma Hagion - Voidgazer   San Antonio 
Toxaemia - Where Paths Divide  Sweden
Lie in Ruins - Floating in Timeless Streams  Finland
Sepulchral Curse - Only Ashes Remain  Finland
Xibalba - Anos En Infierno   SOCAL
Necrot - Mortal  dm  Oakland CA
Dying Grotesque - Sunflower Tide  Ukraine 
Skelethal - Unveiling the Threshold   France 
Skeletal Remains - The Entombment of Chaos   LA
Sentient Divide - Haunted by Cruelty  Spokane WA                   12       122

GG, thanks for the list, just checking out Bastard Priest.

EDIT: and a couple of songs in and Bastard Priest are pretty good.  Very old school.

40 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

As always you say it better than me.

Yes, it is an artificial sound.  And it undermines the delivery.  Eg new Benediction was musically good but production is artificial and soulless.

Totally agree.  Odium is quite enjoyable.