sup nerds

ButterLettuss

2 hours ago, deathstorm said:

Hey dude welcome to the forum 

Thanks :) finally decided my friends have heard enough about metal so i should start talking to strangers about it instead

3 hours ago, dilatedmind said:

Happy Friday man! Welcome to Metal Forum! Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks! Happy to be here :)

22 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

The Black Dahlia Murder

Had to check it out.. was sort of like Epica, but worse.. *shrugs*

Are they big? Just wondering, unless a band is big enough abbreviations are kind of useless. 

Oh dear, now i´m sounding all negative and not welcoming at all.. :D 

Welcome to OP, i suppose if it´s metal that you like, that´s all that matters! \m/

Geez, maybe don't shit on the one band this fella's said he likes the second he hops on the forum... I mean, we're not Encyclopedia Metallum and in fact I distinctly recall a lot of our more prominent members saying that's what they liked about this place. Last I recall TBDM sounded kinda like a more simpler Sadist. Man, they must have undergone some drastic style changes if they sound like Epica now...

Might surprise you @ButterLettuss but usually I'm considered the grouchy one hereabouts. Apart from Relentless, anyway.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:37 AM, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Had to check it out.. was sort of like Epica, but worse.. *shrugs*

Are they big? Just wondering, unless a band is big enough abbreviations are kind of useless. 

Oh dear, now i´m sounding all negative and not welcoming at all.. :D 

Welcome to OP, i suppose if it´s metal that you like, that´s all that matters! \m/

I mean for a melodic death metal band they are probably the biggest in North America.  They definitely deserve the abbreviation ;)

Definitely not everyone's thing though haha I know my girlfriend sure as hell doesn't enjoy it one bit.

19 hours ago, Iceni said:

Last I recall TBDM sounded kinda like a more simpler Sadist.

To be honest, I don't see the Epica comparison at all...but I do see the Sadist conenction a bit.  Also I've really been listening to their more recent stuff which has got a lot more musical depth.  Their rhythm guitarist is doing some pretty awesome stuff and their lead players keep getting better and better.   Everyone has their thing though and metal is amazing no matter the genre

2 hours ago, ButterLettuss said:

I mean for a melodic death metal band they are probably the biggest in North America.  They definitely deserve the abbreviation ;)

Definitely not everyone's thing though haha I know my girlfriend sure as hell doesn't enjoy it one bit.

To be honest, I don't see the Epica comparison at all...but I do see the Sadist conenction a bit.  Also I've really been listening to their more recent stuff which has got a lot more musical depth.  Their rhythm guitarist is doing some pretty awesome stuff and their lead players keep getting better and better.   Everyone has their thing though and metal is amazing no matter the genre

I did only listen to a one song and not even entirely, so the comparison might be well off. :D

So they are that big then. Not that surprised i haven´t heard of them though, not really keen into following the modern mainstream metal bands.. I´m rather old school and i do like my weird stuff too. Anyway.. welcome i hope you stick around. :) 

36 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

I did only listen to a one song and not even entirely, so the comparison might be well off. :D

So they are that big then. Not that surprised i haven´t heard of them though, not really keen into following the modern mainstream metal bands.. I´m rather old school and i do like my weird stuff too. Anyway.. welcome i hope you stick around. :) 

Fair enough! I mean a lot of people have not especially if you're not in to melodeath :)  Thanks! Looking forward to it

11 hours ago, ButterLettuss said:

I really liked Hyaena and I've been getting more into their other stuff. I'll have to disagree on all metal being great, though, at least until I can find one sludge band other than DVNE that can make the case for the genre not being scrapped altogether.

Had to check for a second to make sure I was thinking of the right band. Yes, I was, TBDM are deathcore/melodic deathcore as best I can tell. Really not much tying them to melodic death metal in my opinion. Melodeath is more like early Arch Enemy, early Dark Tranquillity, early At The Gates, Enforsaken etc. A case could be made for Anata as well at a stretch.

I do apologise if it seems like I'm coming down hard on a band you dig. No issue with you liking them or anything I'm just kind of venting.

13 hours ago, Iceni said:

I really liked Hyaena and I've been getting more into their other stuff. I'll have to disagree on all metal being great, though, at least until I can find one sludge band other than DVNE that can make the case for the genre not being scrapped altogether.

OH right... Sludge.  Well, someones got to like it right?  It's not my thing at all but I don't want to dump on a genre that's already pretty niche haha.

8 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Had to check for a second to make sure I was thinking of the right band. Yes, I was, TBDM are deathcore/melodic deathcore as best I can tell. Really not much tying them to melodic death metal in my opinion. Melodeath is more like early Arch Enemy, early Dark Tranquillity, early At The Gates, Enforsaken etc. A case could be made for Anata as well at a stretch.

I do apologise if it seems like I'm coming down hard on a band you dig. No issue with you liking them or anything I'm just kind of venting.

You're allowed to come down on bands I like if you would like haha!  I hope it's cool if I jump to their defense :)  I would be hard pressed to consider them anything other than melodeath though.  Seeing as they're listed as that in encyclopedia metallum, and they describe themselves as melodic death metal.  I've also never heard a deathcore band that had guitar solos, or one that didn't do breakdowns.  Their influences are Carcass, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist, Malevolent Creation, and At The Gates. 

Out of curiosity, what did you listen to when you decided they were deathcore?

I think it was from Miasma. The vocals are pure deathcore mate and the melodic approach is too. Just hammering out a couple of chords making a melody doesn't make you melodeath. Nor do influences bear any significance on your genre. Mayhem were influenced by Venom, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, and Bathory yet their black metal sound is nothing like those bands.

To me melodeath is more like

5 hours ago, ButterLettuss said:

OH right... Sludge.  Well, someones got to like it right?

BAN and NTNR like some, but they've got a better tolerance for monotony than me and different sonic tastes besides. Bongripper and Mudbath are pretty close but they just drone on for too damn long without evolving their songs.

18 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Bongripper and Mudbath are pretty close but they just drone on for too damn long without evolving their songs.

I think my favourite thing about sludge might be the band names.  I know what you mean though, transitions take forever and unless you're invested in the genre as a statement it can be a little much