Where are you buying your CD's?

sadistic1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely buy (anything) in brick and mortar stores anymore. There aren't a lot in my area that carry good stuff at a price comparable to that i'd find online. Normally I buy CDs on ebay, amazon (not so much anymore, now that they charge tax and have a $35 free shipping minimum), and grooves-inc. I have my eye on CD Baby as well; there are a couple titles on there that are priced very well that aren't pretty much anywhere else.

I happen to have a fairly well equipped physical store nearby (Newbury Comics), but still order a lot online, mostly amazon, but other places for some obscure bands. If I want to buy something and can't find it anywhere I'll look it up on metal-archives.com and they usually have a link to a place you can buy from.

Amazon is a good resource for finding smaller retailers. Most of what I listen to is mp3 anyway these days, which is good enough most of the time, so I've bought quite a few downloads. But after reading some articles about the payment scheme for downloads vs. CDs - what the artist gets in proportion to the label, distributor, etc. - I feel pretty guilty about buying downloads from Amazon. The actual musician doesn't get shit from those purchases, according to what I've read. Bandcamp is a much better deal; but I've started buying physical copies again, because it seems like that's what's best for the musicians.

Re: Where are you buying your CD's?

Amazon is a good resource for finding smaller retailers. Most of what I listen to is mp3 anyway these days' date=' which is good enough most of the time, so I've bought quite a few downloads. But after reading some articles about the payment scheme for downloads vs. CDs - what the artist gets in proportion to the label, distributor, etc. - I feel pretty guilty about buying downloads from Amazon. The actual musician doesn't get shit from those purchases, according to what I've read. Bandcamp is a much better deal; but I've started buying physical copies again, because it seems like that's what's best for the musicians.[/quote'] Yeah, even legal/paid downloads rip off the artists. Theoretically, cutting out the physical portion means less cost, so there's no reason why the band and distributor can't both have a bigger cut, but artists always get fucked in the end. To the topic at hand, I buy most of my stuff at local record stores (mostly used, some new), on eBay, or direct from bands at shows. I love buying from distros, but I usually like to place big orders, and I seldom have the funds for that. This is the best resource I've found for metal titles, it searches over 100 distros simultaneously, from big sellers like Amazon to smaller distros like Deepsend and Deathgasm: Themetaldetektor.com Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly on the internet. Mainly I look for CDs (or cassetes - I still buy some when I can. It seems that I am a bit nostalgic, haha!) that I want to buy in polish distros and labels. When there is no thing that I am looking for I try Allegro - it's something like eBay, just working only on the territory of Poland. If still can't get what I want, I am buying it from the foreign labels or directly from the band. I never use "normal" eBay though. Hmm, and when I have an opportunity I buy stuff from music stores or big corporations like Media Markt, Media Expert, Saturn etc. Sometimes they have some awesome music - mainly classics, like Motorhead, Irons and bands like that. But once I bought something totally underground - just can't remind what it was :D

Re: Where are you buying your CD's?

I've gotten the last few from eBay and Stormspell Records. Glad I found them. Their slogan: "Old farts stuck in the 80s and proud of it." Ha ha' date=' me too! :)[/quote'] That was Barbarian Wrath's slogan: "Proudly stuck in 1985!" The only difference is that I like Barbarian Wrath's roster a great deal more than Stormspell's, though I haven't been to their site to see what other titles they distribute. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I buy them from either Frys electronics or Amazon. Amazon is only a last resort option for me though, since I actually have to wait. Frys has a huge supply of CDs, and even has a decent amount of vinyls. I have found nearly every CD I have wanted there. Even found some musical DVDs there I didn't expect to find too, got the Heaven and Hell live in Wacken DVD and a 1986 live Dio concert as well.

JB HiFi also have a pretty rubbish selection if one is after metal cds (at least in my experience). Great when you're first getting into the music and want well known bands but not-so-much if seeking Nile' date=' Orphaned Land, Mayhem, Sentenced and so on.[/quote'] That's True, i bought all my metallica and megadeth albums there but they don't have the biggest range of metal bands. i did come accross a few Nile albums though in the one near my house in Melbourne. Discogs.com is my favourite place to buy albums, amazing collection of every genre :)