Posers, scene kids, emos, etc...

Metalhead Steve

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I can't help but feel that at least some of that was directed my way, which is interesting because I agree with at least the first parts of what he said (before the break), and have specifically voiced that on numerous occasions. I don't like deathcore/mallcore/emo metalcore etc... and I have voiced that many times, as he said in the video, "it's not my music". I've also said numerous times that I don't care who listens to what music, it doesn't affect me, and everybody can listen to whatever the fuck they want to listen to. The only thing I take issue with (and this is where my opinion differs from his) is when music is not metal gets grouped with metal. Not only do I believe that metal and various forms of pop music tend to be oil and water, but I feel that when you are mixing metal with other genres (and I'm all for unique outlooks on metal by incorporating outside influences), it should really only be called metal if it's on the metal side of the spectrum. Since we can't measure what percentage of what is really in a musical equation it comes down to what each individual person is hearing, but I don't think that the music in question is metal (or at least not a large enough portion to call it that), in much the same way that I wouldn't say Therion makes classical music, Moonsorrow makes folk music, Atheist plays jazz, Rhadamantys plays new age, ...And Oceans plays techno, or Neurosis plays tribal/Native American music. Even with genres of music I don't like, I still prefer to call them by what they are, as I know fans of country, americana, bluegrass, and folk get annoyed when people unknowingly apply the wrong label to them, in much the same way jazz fans get pissed off when adult contemporary bullshit like Kenny G gets lumped in with their music simply because he plays the saxophone. Either way, those are differing opinions, and I'm entitled to mine just as you and everyone else are entitled to yours. As always, you're also entitled to listen to whatever music you want and dress how you want, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it (pretty sure I never even mention clothes though). I'm 100% percent certain that I've already said all of this multiple times before, so I'm not sure how or why it was misinterpreted, but it's always been my stance. There are plenty of asshole metalheads and nice people that listen to other music, music has nothing to do with your personality.

It does become very frustrating when non-metal bands are lumped in with the metal genre. The amount of times I've tried to explain to my brother how killswitch engage are not metal but Arch Enemy are for example is maddening. I have no problem with people listening do whatever they want provided they allow me that same freedom. I do however have opinions on certain bands that I will express if I feel the need. What I find more annoying is that some non-metalheads assume that we like every single band we hear because "all that shit sounds the same". Iron Maiden sound very different to Angel Witch, Black Sabbath sound very different to Pentagram, Metallica sound very different to Dark Angel and so on so no it all doesn't sound the same for a start. More importantly I would say the range of tastes in metal is perhaps broader then in any other genre of music.

OKAY, now that this website is working for me... BAN, this was hardly directed towards you. Maybe 2% of it. Most of it, I just wanted everyone to watch to avoid discriminating because I know of the hazing this forum can give. KSE, in my opinion, is metal. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when Post-hardcore bullshit (Asking Alexandria, Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens) gets grouped with my music. Or when genres are way off.

Re: Posers, scene kids, emos, etc...

OKAY, now that this website is working for me... BAN, this was hardly directed towards you. Maybe 2% of it. Most of it, I just wanted everyone to watch to avoid discriminating because I know of the hazing this forum can give. KSE, in my opinion, is metal. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when Post-hardcore bullshit (Asking Alexandria, Pierce the Veil, Sleeping With Sirens) gets grouped with my music. Or when genres are way off.
There may have been some metal on KSE's early albums, but it was still of a watered down variety IMO, as were the hardcore elements. Shadows Fall were probably one the best for that style with their Of One Blood album, I would take that over anything by KSE, All That Remains, or any other poppy metalcore I've heard. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

any metal elements in the sound of bands such as killswitch engage and bullet for my valentine is taken from melodic death metal and then simplified into a bland, inoffensive, product. The pop aspect of these bands is their priority and it shows in their music so no I would not call them metal because they are not they misappropriate metal and market their music in a very targeted fashion. They are bands for kids who want to listen to "evil" music that won't offend their parents something which could be just as easily achieved through power metal.

So I'm fine with there being metal for people who don't want to be "evil" or whatever. Oh well, I like KSE, ATR, etc. It's more of a gateway into harder metal as I see it. And BAN, if you want something poppy, check out For All Those Sleeping. Bands like THAT piss me off. Northlane too. Their vocalist jumps around like a 5 year old idiot on stage, dressed in the "swaggiest" of clothes and enjoys pop singing in his music. I could rant about Northlane forever. They piss me off far more than you could understand.

You know, most people would laugh their ass off about the differences you guys are distinguishing between core this and metal that. Of coarse you are right, those distinctions are valid, but to 99% of the population it's just another guy in another weird shirt. I try to judge people based on their actions, not their cloths. Regarding hazing, I joined this forum recently and one of the things I like about it is that I wasn't hazed. Hazing is childish. Metalhead Steve, who hazed you? Who ever it is, that's just pathetic. I would never haze people. If I ever seem to be hazing someone please let me know so I can correct the mistake.

You know, most people would laugh their ass off about the differences you guys are distinguishing between core this and metal that. Of coarse you are right, those distinctions are valid, but to 99% of the population it's just another guy in another weird shirt. I try to judge people based on their actions, not their cloths. Regarding hazing, I joined this forum recently and one of the things I like about it is that I wasn't hazed. Hazing is childish. Metalhead Steve, who hazed you? Who ever it is, that's just pathetic. I would never haze people. If I ever seem to be hazing someone please let me know so I can correct the mistake.
As I've said multiple times, I don't give two shits about clothes or fashion, doing so is no different than those fucking worthless Hollywood shitheads picking apart what celebrities look like. Metal isn't about fashion, it's about music, bottom line. As far as judging people, music has nothing to do with somebody's character. I certainly have more friends that aren't metalheads than friends that are, as plenty of metalheads can be assholes too, which is why I talk metal on this forum. I don't have too many people to talk about it with IRL, most of my friend's interests lie elsewhere. Of course it all sounds the same to the mainstream world, metalcore/metal/hard rock/hardcore are usually grouped together by the masses. I'm not as good at telling the difference between things that I don't care for either, so I can't say that I blame them, but I feel that the distinction should still be made.

So I'm fine with there being metal for people who don't want to be "evil" or whatever. Oh well, I like KSE, ATR, etc. It's more of a gateway into harder metal as I see it. And BAN, if you want something poppy, check out For All Those Sleeping. Bands like THAT piss me off. Northlane too. Their vocalist jumps around like a 5 year old idiot on stage, dressed in the "swaggiest" of clothes and enjoys pop singing in his music. I could rant about Northlane forever. They piss me off far more than you could understand.
They can be a gateway, that much is for sure, but more times than that they are just the flavor of the months for the Hot Topic crowd to get tired of before moving on to the next "alternative lifestyle" fad. Metal doesn't need to be evil, as Murph said, look at power metal, or progressive metal for that matter. Extreme metal does tend to be quite dark, but just as frequently metalcore/deathcore can be quite misogynistic and gory, so I'm not sure that it makes a ton of difference. I'll go ahead and take your word about that band, I have no need to check them out. In reality, to me it just seems like varying degrees of the same thing. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't fuck up whatever degree of metal these bands had in their sound, as well done blends of metal and other styles of music are just fine in my book. However, it seems that the metal elements are only there and are done to the minimum requirements of what these people feel is necessary merely to pump up their image and sell it as "harder music" for people that identify with that sort of thing.

i can't fucking stand twilight fucking asshole and harry fucking potter iwas going to a theather one time to see transformers dark of the moon once they actully shut down the movie showing the whole fucking theater to show the last harry potter m movie at 12 am midnight the whole movie theater in complex was showing it . team eddie or team jacob shut the fuck up already with that twilight garbage geez

the pop aspect dominates in metalcore at least in my experience of this genre, metal elements are there for the sole purpose of making these bands appear "scary" so that kids who want pseudo-alternative music buy into them and they rarely, if ever, act as a gateway into music which would actually qualify as metal. I have said before metal with a pop influence is ok, not my thing but I can tolerate it, pop with a minor metal influence such as we see in metalcore however is not fine and should not be lumped in with bands which are actually metal.

Honestly, in KSE and other metalcore bands I listen to, I don't notice much of a "pop" element. Granted KSE aren't the best musicians... I only notice pop elements when the vocalist stops screaming in order to sing like one direction (Northlane, For All Those Sleeping, Amaranthe). When the vocalist stops screaming to sing in a strong voice, I don't see a problem (Killswitch Engage, All That Remains (excluding the newest album), Parkway Drive).