Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

Slidhr "Deluge" - ritualistic and tumultuous black metal spat with with real venom behind the lyrics.  Surprisingly melodic in places and quite catchy (only in an STD kind of a way).

Satyricon "Dark Medieval Times" - second week in my top 3 for this.  I just love the mix of the styles with its macabre court jester music suddenly slashed by harsh riffs.  Even the girlfriend commented on how clever the switch was.

Garroted "In The Court Of Nyarlathotep" - a freebie (pay what you want) I stumbled across on Bandcamp this week.  Some nice old school death metal with some decent sonics. 

Virvum - Illuminance   ...the most engaging example of modern tech death that I've heard recently, great melodies and songwriting that favors riffs over flash. Vocals leave a bit to be desired, but they don't ruin things.

Vektor - Terminal Redux   ...really happy I finally checked these guys out, another great melodic/technical release that brings old-school death/thrash influence to the table along with some progressive and black metal elements, somehow familiar and totally fresh at the same time.

My Dying Bride - Trinity   ...going through my CD collection, I realized I no longer have a physical copy of it. Been very into MDB again lately, and not having this made me want to hear it, and then I got hooked all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Raven "All For One" - I'll get 100 internet points from Heavy Metal Dave for this one.  My one and only Raven album and I am not sure why this is.  The Steppenwolf cover with Udo Dirkschneider is terrible though.  I used to quite enjoy it's raging abandon of any conceivable form but after 10 listens in the car this week it has lost all appeal.

Danzig "Danzig II:Lucifuge" - still my preferred Danzig album after all these years (all 26 of them - fuck I feel old).

Spelljammer "inches From The Sun" - some great stoner doom from Sweden that once I had found again in my "special" CD collection I couldn't get out of my head all weekend.

Sodom "Decision Day" - what a nice surprise this is.  Always nice to see an established - let's face it ancient - band kick the asses of most other releases out there this year.  There's an energy to this that could make the untrained metalhead believe Sodom are a lot younger than they are in reality.

Asphyx "Incoming Death" - lacks the sustained bite of "Deathhammer" but it ain't half bad still.  Would like some more consistency across the record though.

Horna "Viha Ja Viikate" - great lo fi, necro sound to this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hooded Menace "Never Cross The Dead" - the unmistakable groove of the Finnish Death/Doomsters channels through my head for days after hearing this record.  I feel every emotion behind each riff on this record, like the sheer effort involved has managed to be captured perfectly in the confines of the recording which is rare on most albums I find.

Machine Head "Burn My Eyes" - this'll please Josh no end!  Had a long drive yesterday and got stuck in traffic not long after setting off so soon found myself going through all three of my CD wallets in the car.  This just jumped out at me.  Although they'll never better this record I do still feel it could do with an edit and lose three or four tracks as it most definitely is front heavy.  There's no getting away from the memory of hearing this back when I was a teenager and I still like it for all the same reasons I did then.  The reckless abandonment of variety in favour of straight up riffing, the replacement of pace with sheer unrestrained energy to the point of cramming and the shameless appeal to every angry kid out there who ever owned a can of spray paint and some three quarter length camos.

Dopethrone "III" - not the strongest in terms of musicianship and songwriting but still a blast whenever I give this a spin.  Another record that sticks with me for days afterwards when I could literally be in the shower, car or at my desk and still will throw a random air guitar riff that they have left clattering around in my head from the last listen.

• 5 weeks later...

Sepultura "Schizophrenia" - raw and at times cumbersome but still one of the finest examples of a young band giving it their fucking all!

Sepultura "Beneath The Remains" - simply one of the best thrash records ever made.  Granted the Burns production does clean up things up a lot from "Schizophrenia" but the energy and aggression is still in abundance throughout.

Wretch "s/t" - decent first outing for Karl Simon post the break up of Gates Of Slumber, not as full on DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM! as you might expect but still awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is actually a pretty cool thread because I have about a 40-50 minute commute so I do a lot of my music listening in the car, sipping coffee, spending a bit of alone time between the demands of work and the chaos of two small chlidren at home. 

This week it has primarily been: 

Sentenced - Story: A Recollection best of

Watain - Lawless Darkness

Sebastian Bach - Kicking and Screaming

12 hours ago, True Belief said:  

Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder

How is this? Should I get it? 

I'm quite enjoying it. Quite primitive & stripped back in sound; some big 80s riffs to be found; lots of Celtic Frost in there....yeah, it's cool. Kinda feel a bit dirty afterwards, like I need a shower. Reminds me (in places) or Auta Noir too which sure ain't a bad thing.

12 minutes ago, True Belief said:

I'm quite enjoying it. Quite primitive & stripped back in sound; some big 80s riffs to be found; lots of Celtic Frost in there....yeah, it's cool. Kinda feel a bit dirty afterwards, like I need a shower. Reminds me (in places) or Auta Noir too which sure ain't a bad thing.

Yeah ok. It sounds like business as usual for Darkthrone then. I think I'd heard somewhere that this was supposed to be more of a return to their roots, but doesn't everyone say that for every new release.... I really like the title and was thinking of getting it for shits and giggles. I think the last Darkthrone album I bought was 'Sardonic Wrath'. 

The unholy trinity 4 lyf. 666.

12 minutes ago, True Belief said: I'm quite enjoying it. Quite primitive & stripped back in sound; some big 80s riffs to be found; lots of Celtic Frost in there....yeah, it's cool. Kinda feel a bit dirty afterwards, like I need a shower. Reminds me (in places) or Auta Noir too which sure ain't a bad thing.

Yeah ok. It sounds like business as usual for Darkthrone then. I think I'd heard somewhere that this was supposed to be more of a return to their roots, but doesn't everyone say that for every new release.... I really like the title and was thinking of getting it for shits and giggles. I think the last Darkthrone album I bought was 'Sardonic Wrath'. 

The unholy trinity 4 lyf. 666.

I don't see it as a return to their roots. Sonically it may be at times, but stylistically no. It's enjoyable if you like their more recent output. Not sure on the opinions of others in here....it's not a revolutionary piece of art but it's cool enough for me. Plenty of riffs.

50 minutes ago, True Belief said:

I don't see it as a return to their roots. Sonically it may be at times, but stylistically no. It's enjoyable if you like their more recent output. Not sure on the opinions of others in here....it's not a revolutionary piece of art but it's cool enough for me. Plenty of riffs.

Well I like riffs, so maybe I'll check it out. You haven't let me down yet my old brother from another mother. 

Nocternity "Onyx" -  really enjoying this cold Greek Black Metal full of atmosphere with guitars tuned to sound like an ever present haze throughout the album.

Sodom "Decision Day" - this will make my honorary mentions list at the end of 2016.  Not quite top ten material but enjoyable all the same.

Death "Leprosy" - adding to my Death collection on CD in order of album release.

• 2 weeks later...

Satyricon "Dark Medieval Times" - (not rubbing it in FatherA - I promise), knew I was in Edinburgh this week and knew I was going to have a trek round what is probably my favourite city in the UK.  One of the places I frequent is Dean Village and it has a wonderful river (Water of Leith) and is great for an early morning stroll in almost any weather.  This was enhanced this time by having "Dark Medieval Times" to accompany me on my way.  The bleakness of the Scottish winter complimented wonderfully by the medieval pangs of this album has further cemented my memories of one of my favourite places on the planet.

Nocternity "Onyx" - this was my train home album on the same trip (risking headphones with my shot to shit ears wasn't my smartest moment) and for an album I literally only discovered for the first time before Xmas it has already grown into a staple of my BM diet most days since my purchase.  Oddly fell asleep listening to it on the train (had a late night the evening before on a pub crawl with a colleague) which is not my overarching thought of the album as I find it quite uplifting without sacrificing the necessary harshness you'd expect.  I think it is memorable for its balance above all though.

Decapitated "Nihility" - I read an article somewhere online that was "a history of brutal-tech" or something similar and the author mentioned this as a cornerstone of that scene in terms of great releases although I know too little to agree or not.  As I mentioned in my post in the "...Listening.." thread, there's an energy to this that I find rare in most tech DM (notwithstanding the fact that it is brutal-tech).  All too often I am put off my the mechanisation of riffs and clicky drums but here they overcome that combining the brutal and tech aspects of their sound to a real clear definition of both.  Will probably move on from streaming it on YouTube to making an actual purchase once the house move is done and money is more free flowing.

8 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Satyricon "Dark Medieval Times" - (not rubbing it in FatherA - I promise), knew I was in Edinburgh this week and knew I was going to have a trek round what is probably my favourite city in the UK.  One of the places I frequent is Dean Village and it has a wonderful river (Water of Leith) and is great for an early morning stroll in almost any weather.  This was enhanced this time by having "Dark Medieval Times" to accompany me on my way.  The bleakness of the Scottish winter complimented wonderfully by the medieval pangs of this album has further cemented my memories of one of my favourite places on the planet.

Awesome. I can almost see it and hear it myself. Great description.