Genre's....whats the actual deal??

benktg

It's most likely me thats getting to be an old trump....but omfg how many genre's do there really need to be. I see folk chatting about it on here and its bloody irritating to say the least... Do we all actually know what every genre is and why it is what it is? does someone play a little more blast beats and shredding at speed to make it death core or summat? ahhhhh!!!!! lol what makes death core different to death metal? is it that deathcore do all these modern breakdown and stop beats etc? chuff knows..... discuss! and yes im old stupid and a metal retard....probly all the years of moshing....:D

I don't know, I get confused when people call things by a million different names. Maybe I'm really old, but when I was in school, there were maybe three names that we had for everything. Thrash, hair metal and British stuff. We didn't really know a lot about death metal until a bit later. Still, not as many different terms back then. It was more just metal in general. :)

intresting. this is something i been asking my self lately. how dose one genras defer from the other especially when they sound the same. what makes death metal,death metal, what makes hardcore, hardcore and blah blah blah blah. in a resent interview in iron fist (if you dont no this magazine you need to check it out) Ishan from dark funeral said there are two types of music the ones i love and the ones i dont. and i think i agree with him. maybe thats irrelevant to what you are talken about. but i think i need to agree with ishan before i go mad.

Genres are a useful method of organizing metal to help people more easily find music they like. If you don't like harsh vocals, then you'll know to avoid death and black. If you prefer slower-tempo music, choose doom. Happier songs tend to be made by power metal bands. If you're not fond of keyboards then you won't like a whole lot of prog. These terms do actually refer to inherent characteristics of the genre and bands that span boundaries are usually recognized as such. A power/thrash will probably have a more raw and aggressive sound, absent of keyboards with plenty of shredding. Overall, finding your way around genres is primarily just a matter of learning the vocabulary.

Re: Genre's....whats the actual deal??

intresting. this is something i been asking my self lately. how dose one genras defer from the other especially when they sound the same. what makes death metal' date='death metal, what makes hardcore, hardcore and blah blah blah blah. in a resent interview in iron fist (if you dont no this magazine you need to check it out) [b']Ishan from dark funeral said there are two types of music the ones i love and the ones i dont. and i think i agree with him. maybe thats irrelevant to what you are talken about. but i think i need to agree with ishan before i go mad.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Ihsahn fronted Emperor, Dark Funeral aren't even from the same country. To the topic at hand, I'm with Iceni in that genres are useful for giving and receiving recommendations. However, they can be bad when people take them as strict borders limiting how something can or "should" sound. They were not meant to be such, but as long as you give those genres freedom to encompass various sounds based on the original ideas of those that explored that genre, they can fulfill their purpose. Nitpicking about subgenres seems to be less useful, but is still something I know that I do myself. I just think people need to not worry about it so much. I would say that I like death metal as a genre, but certainly don't like every death metal band out there. However, if somebody recommended something to me as being death metal, and maybe gave me some examples of other bands they sounded like, I would probably check it out. Also, there are genres of music that I don't like (as many here know), but I don't write bands off just because of that label. Sure, conforming to the sounds that the genre is known for would certainly make it an uphill battle, but I try not to let the genre be the sole decision maker. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

as for how we get deathcore it's pretty simple take one part Cannibal Corpse' date=' dilute that part to the lowest level possible then infuse three parts generic pop music.[/quote'] I would propose an alternate formula...at least for the worst deathcore. Start with Napalm Death, but eliminate the complex drumming. Focus only on the gurgling vocals and the fact that the guitars are low-pitched. Next, add a bit of pop and essence of melodeath, smashed through a garlic press so as to focus only on the rhythmic aspect. Add a heavy dose of powerpunk overtones to the vocals, and up the incomprehensibility for the harsher ones. In a separate bowl take the drumming of Whitesnake and add a kick pedal to simulate the quick-tempo drumming, and mix lightly. Finally, play only two notes throughout the entire song: the high one and the low one. Dump in some random keyboard for added flavor, or spaciness. Bon appetit, messeiurs.

I would propose an alternate formula...at least for the worst deathcore. Start with Napalm Death, but eliminate the complex drumming. Focus only on the gurgling vocals and the fact that the guitars are low-pitched. Next, add a bit of pop and essence of melodeath, smashed through a garlic press so as to focus only on the rhythmic aspect. Add a heavy dose of powerpunk overtones to the vocals, and up the incomprehensibility for the harsher ones. In a separate bowl take the drumming of Whitesnake and add a kick pedal to simulate the quick-tempo drumming, and mix lightly. Finally, play only two notes throughout the entire song: the high one and the low one. Dump in some random keyboard for added flavor, or spaciness. Bon appetit, messeiurs.
There's nothing of Napalm Death in deathcore, grindcore riffs are quite different from death metal or deathcore, and the vocals are much different from the gurgling pig squeals of deathcore. Deathcore is essentially slam death metal (death metal with hip hop influences and emphasis on breakdowns, Dying Fetus, Devourment, etc...) stripped of its riffs, mixed with pop metalcore. Some slam/brutal death metal is okay, but once you take its riffs away and exchange them with 1-2 note sequences that link breakdowns together, it loses its appeal quickly, which is before adding the pop elements. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Dont get me wrong folks im not a total tard...i understand the basic genre's of like thrash, hair, death, doom and black etc etc... I understand that death metal is about down tuned guitars (generally two of them) blast beat and beat changes randomly, deep growled vocals etc... and i get the other main genres too, Its just all this core after the words metal or death...bloomin rubbish if u ask me... in the end i agree with what some folk are saying, in the respect that i also love death metal but then dont like all death metal bands, i am really picky when it comes to music and i can tell instantly if im gunna like something or not. Thanks for all your views. \m/

Dont get me wrong folks im not a total tard...i understand the basic genre's of like thrash, hair, death, doom and black etc etc... I understand that death metal is about down tuned guitars (generally two of them) blast beat and beat changes randomly, deep growled vocals etc... and i get the other main genres too, Its just all this core after the words metal or death...bloomin rubbish if u ask me... in the end i agree with what some folk are saying, in the respect that i also love death metal but then dont like all death metal bands, i am really picky when it comes to music and i can tell instantly if im gunna like something or not. Thanks for all your views. \m/
The core suffix is usually added to a genre as being derivative of hardcore punk. When metal is mixed with hardcore, you will often see that label there, though not frequently with sludge and crossover, though they are metal/hardcore fusions. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...
Half the genres I can' even tell what they are. It's gotten to a point that if it sounds slightly different' date=' it's a new fucking genre![/quote'] Many people do this with genres that have similar characteristics, death metal and grindcore, heavy metal and power metal, thrash metal and groove metal, black metal and viking metal, etc..., but if you get really into the styles mentioned, it's pretty easy to tell the difference. It's familiarity with the sound that allows you to hear the subtleties that you wouldn't otherwise, as the first time you hear death metal and grindcore, you'll probably just hear a wall of fast and heavy riffs and drumming. Once you dig in though, you'll see that they use completely different song structures, different riffs, different attitude/atmosphere, etc...

Yeah I agree. But what if somebody wants to write songs about vikings and battles but has a death metal sound? Which would you consider it?
Like the death metal band Unleashed? The lyrics don't determine the genre, the music does. Viking metal is not metal by and/for vikings, it's a sound of metal created by Bathory and named by Enslaved encompassing a grand and epic sound reminiscent of the battles and traditions of old. It emerged from black metal, but has a distinct sound of its own, despite often being reintroduced to black metal frequently. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...