Dark Tranquillity

Frostaudn

It's kind of nice that the internet has made it so that you no longer have to faith grab albums, but when you are surprised by a faith grab, it can be one of the best experiences ever. As far as the album goes though, if the rest of it sounds anything like the first track that was posted from it, I'll pass. Maybe if I see it for sale used at a decent price I'll go for it, but I definitely won't be rushing out to pick it up, or spend the money for a new copy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of nice that the internet has made it so that you no longer have to faith grab albums' date=' but when you are surprised by a faith grab, it can be one of the best experiences ever. As far as the album goes though, if the rest of it sounds anything like the first track that was posted from it, I'll pass. Maybe if I see it for sale used at a decent price I'll go for it, but I definitely won't be rushing out to pick it up, or spend the money for a new copy.[/quote'] Agreed. I bought Hero by Divinefire based on a couple of thirty-second snippets and at a hefty sum too, $60 because it was an import and there wasn't any other way to get it, and it still ranks as their best work and one of the strongest symphonic power/melodeath albums I've ever heard. Construct is varied, from what I can tell. People say it's a bit like Projector overall. I don't see that as a good thing because I didn't care for Projector at all, but I do know that the style is a bit different from all their other work in that it combines some of their elements.

• 2 months later...

I only have Fiction and Damage Done. I love the evil hiss that Stanne uses on their newer stuff, but for some reason, when he uses more of a shout (like on their older stuff) I find it irritating. Maybe if I listen to Damage Done more I might "get it", but for now I just think it's "okay".

Dark Tranquillity just announced a headline tour with Ominum Gatherum and Exmortus for spring 2014: Feb 1 Masquerade Atlanta , GA 2 Soundstage Balt , MD 3 Stage 48 NYC 4 Palladium Worcester , MA 5 FouFOunes Montreal 6 Dagobert Quebec City 7 Mavericks Ottawa , ON 8 Opera House Toronto , ON 9 London Music Hall London , ON 10 Peabodys Cleveland , OH 11 Shrunken Head Columbus , OH 12 Mojoes Joliet , ILL 13 Granda Theater Lawrence , KS 14 Bluebird Theater Denver , CO 15 In the Venue SLC , UT 17 Rickshaw Theater Vancouver , BC 18 El Corazon Seattle , WA 19 Hawthorne Theater Portland , OR 21 DNA Lounge SF , CA 22 House of Blues West Hollywood , CA 23 Club Red Tempe , AZ 25 Trees Dallas , TX 26 Scout Bar Houston , TX 28 Diamond Pub Louisville , KY March 1 Altar Bar Pitt , PA 2 Trocadero Philly , PA

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continually surprised that people like anything after Mind's I. I guess it's because I loved "The Gallery" so much. To me they sound like a different band now, and not one I really enjoy. I know a lot of people that got into Projector when it came out, but that's the album that killed that band for me... Sorry Artemisia! I saw them live a few years ago and they were ok.

Projector divided fans that's for sure. Similar to what happened to Tiamat post-Wildhoney. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course! I enjoyed their work before Projector as well, but me being one for moody and introspective music and my love of clean baritone vocals made Projector a win for me.

Re: Dark Tranquillity I like Projector, I just really don't like Haven. I'm fine with transitional albums, A Deeper Kind of Slumber, Tuonela, Theli, Irreligious, etc..., but I don't like any of them more than the classic albums. The melodies were great on Projector, as was the songwriting, even if the clean vocals were dismal. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...
 Last november I saw Dark Tranquillity, one of my favorite bands ever, at a really small venue and that was one of the best concerts ever. Just because there was so much interaction with the crowd (like 200-300 people) and everyone was singing with all their songs and and and it was so fucking great. :D And I know Chtonic by name, but not really their music. I'll check them out :)

Last november I saw Dark Tranquillity, one of my favorite bands ever, at a really small venue and that was one of the best concerts ever. Just because there was so much interaction with the crowd (like 200-300 people) and everyone was singing with all their songs and and and it was so fucking great. :D And I know Chtonic by name, but not really their music. I'll check them out :)
I was just planing to get more into Dark Tranquillity :D I know what you mean, i just love it when the crowd sings! It's such and amazing feeling of unity and mutual understanding. Start with the song Takao, and then come to the Chthonic thread and tell us what you think :D
Chthonic is awsome
I was waiting for you ^^

I was just planing to get more into Dark Tranquillity :D I know what you mean, i just love it when the crowd sings! It's such and amazing feeling of unity and mutual understanding. Start with the song Takao, and then come to the Chthonic thread and tell us what you think :D
Will do! :D And for Dark Tranquillity, I don't know what you already know by them, but the Fiction-album is a great album to start with I think. Or the dvd Where Death Is Most Alive, which also focuses on Fiction, but is added with a lot more songs through their discography.

I think I'm once again in the minority here, but the older Dark Tranquillity stuff is far better in my opinion. The riffing is more interesting and energetic, the vocals are more intense, and the sound is (to my ears) more natural and honest. The Gallery is an all-time favorite of mine, and The Mind's I is the last one I liked, marking their transition into completely standard melodeath.

I think I'm once again in the minority here' date=' but the older Dark Tranquillity stuff is far better in my opinion. The riffing is more interesting and energetic, the vocals are more intense, and the sound is (to my ears) more natural and honest. The Gallery is an all-time favorite of mine, and The Mind's I is the last one I liked, marking their transition into completely standard melodeath.[/quote'] I do like their older stuff like Skydancer, The Gallery and Mind's I. Skydancer has some amazing parts, like the solo on Crimson Winds and A Bolt of Blazing Gold. The Gallery is indeed a classic one, no doubt about that. And Mind's I is great to, it features one of my favorite tracks of them, Insanity's Crescendo. But Dark Tranquillity is a band that makes every album different. Mostly, the difference between every album isn't really big, only the difference between Mind's I and Projector is huge. And I like the fact that they never put out the same album again. But I can understand that you like the first three albums more, because they sound more old school and with Projector they started to sound a bit more general.

I think the best thing to start with is either the live dvd, Where Death is Most Alive or Fiction. Fiction has many songs that are easy to listen to, like Misery's Crown, Mudane and the Magic, The Lesser Faith, Terminus...well all of them are accesible. Most of these songs are also featuring on Where Death is Most Alive with adition of some other songs that are easy to listen: Lost to Apathy, The Wonders At Your Feet, Insanity's Crescendo and ThereIn. All of those songs are from different albums, so regarding on what you like, you can check them out. ThereIn is from Projector, which is a really different album than their other, but imo one of their best. The clean vocals of Mikael are so beautiful on that album :) But listen and come tell what you like :D And, by the way, you can also check out their last two albums (We Are the Void and COnstruct), but those are quite boring imo. But maybe you'll like songs like The Fatalist, Shadows in our Blood, Uniformity, Iridium, State of Trust.