What's on your mind?

Apoc

Spent the bulk of yesterday evening fighting Windows 10 after it killed my wireless adapter, finally got that back this morning and have been able to enjoy a day working from home and reading my book on "Shrubs" (FUCK YEAH!).  Have 2 new work assignments one in London and one in Edinburgh so that's me booked up for the next 2 months so going to make the most of this week at home.

Have to take the car into the garage on Thursday so that is a waste of a days holiday which will probably end up costing me at least £700 because I just know the power steering pump won't be covered under warranty.  Already spent £300 last week on the thing and still have the same again to fork out if it is to stay drivable and I only bought it in January this year (second hand) because the power steering pump on my old car needed replacing so ditched that car for this - HOORAY!

Car troubles suck. Sorry to hear it. Our recent purchase has been excellent so far, which it fucking well better be considering what we're paying for it, but the old one had become a complete money pit. Do you drive often, or mostly take trains? 

Usually stick with the train, but have been flying a lot lately so have had hire cars.  The gf needs the car for work so it is important she has it above me as all my travel gets paid for upfront so I can use most means of transport to get somewhere at no outlay from my own pocket.  London would be impossible to drive round anyway so I may even end up on one of them red buses.  Reservation for the hotel tells me it is a boutique hotel.  That's a posh brothel, right?

Thank the internet for autotuners. Unfortunately I learned the Les Paul is DEFINITELY not set up for drop A tuning (AEADF#B) but at least I was able to get back to drop D from there and that uses the same fingering anyway.

Dude... The grind stuff I'm recording now is in Drop B, and that's a stretch on a Gibson, even with thick strings. My lowest string is 63, because I'm usually in C# standard. I've had my guitar in A before, but I had to use a 68-14 set, and the intonation was never right. If you want to tune that low, you're better off getting a guitar with a longer scale length. 

Had fun last night and this morning; I couldn't sleep, so I programmed drums for another song. Recorded the bass this morning and sent it to the vocalist. It's fun responding to lyrics as I write riffs. It gives me a sense of structure and narrative that I usually fight for when I'm just writing pure music. I hope I can sustain a bunch more, I'd love to have an album's worth of material for this guy. Spent about 10 hours on a minute and a half of music and I feel satisfied...

I think drop A is probably the tuning I'll end up going with long term so I'll get help to set it up properly and make sure I can maintain things properly from there. My end goal is still to form a doom band and I think the drop A tuning could open some interesting pathways in that respect.

I think drop A is probably the tuning I'll end up going with long term so I'll get help to set it up properly and make sure I can maintain things properly from there. My end goal is still to form a doom band and I think the drop A tuning could open some interesting pathways in that respect.

It's a lot of fun to experiment with tunings. My experience leads me to suggest that drop A will be a bit too low for good clarity and intonation unless you get a proper baritone guitar. C# standard/drop B seems to be the best combination of girth and clarity on my Gibson. That's the tuning range I've returned to several times over the past few years.

I think it could work for me but only with the Razorback. That 25 1/2 scale length seems to actually make a significant difference from the research I've been doing most of today. Guess I'll need to grab another couple of guitars with that scale length if that's going to be the direction I head in long term. Either way it could be fun to explore lower tunings.

I think it could work for me but only with the Razorback. That 25 1/2 scale length seems to actually make a significant difference from the research I've been doing most of today. Guess I'll need to grab another couple of guitars with that scale length if that's going to be the direction I head in long term. Either way it could be fun to explore lower tunings.

Well, have it professionally set up in that tuning and play it for a while. See if it inspires you. Then you'll know whether it's worth spending more money. 

Looks like the Les Paul just died. Was having a little muck around in the drop D tuning again and mid-note the sound went. Thought it could have been the lead or my amp so switched in the Razorback to check. No problem with the amp, probably not the lead or I'd have the same problem I imagine anyway. Oh and the plug for a lead to go in kind of disintegrated as I was removing the lead as well. I expect it would cost at least as much to repair the guitar as it would to snare a new one and I do want a second 25 1/2 scale guitar so perhaps I'll head down that path now.

Looks like the Les Paul just died. Was having a little muck around in the drop D tuning again and mid-note the sound went. Thought it could have been the lead or my amp so switched in the Razorback to check. No problem with the amp, probably not the lead or I'd have the same problem I imagine anyway. Oh and the plug for a lead to go in kind of disintegrated as I was removing the lead as well. I expect it would cost at least as much to repair the guitar as it would to snare a new one and I do want a second 25 1/2 scale guitar so perhaps I'll head down that path now.

How much to a jack, pickups, electrical wiring and a soldering iron cost in Australia?