What's on your mind?

Apoc

• 4 weeks later...

Re: What's on your mind? I'm actually having a surprisingly good day today, despite all of the craziness happening at work. So far though, while extremely busy, everything is going off without a hitch. I woke up a bit early, but still felt rested, got a jump start and just felt great. Not sure why, but it's not something I'll complain about.

Re: What's on your mind? no joke, it was in a politics thread where we were discussing what's happening there and trying to come up with non-violent means to settle the issue then this guy comes in talking about how we're all "retards" for valuing the lives of innocent civilians who will be the ones who suffer the most if a full scale conflict does break out

Re: What's on your mind?

no joke' date=' it was in a politics thread where we were discussing what's happening there and trying to come up with non-violent means to settle the issue then this guy comes in talking about how we're all "retards" for valuing the lives of innocent civilians who will be the ones who suffer the most if a full scale conflict does break out[/quote'] And people say political science is a bunk discipline. :roll: The whole reason the field exists is to make sure the people in charge of policy don't give any credence to this drivel.... I'm planning to major in this discipline (at a school world-renowned for its political science program) but thanks to the words of a few smart*ss hipster 'cynics' and myopic hard scientists who think it's a void field, I'm probably not going to get any more of a public hearing that that idiot.

Re: What's on your mind? I think the UN could get involved and prevent the conflict from escalating but the only way they could do it would be to restrict imports to both countries, cut off any financial aid to both countries and hope that when the two are broke and their people are starving the politicians will finally be prepared to strike an agreement to bring peace to the region

Re: What's on your mind? Involving the UN would be pointless since there's no actual war. (And as should be evident in Syria, even if there is war they're not always very good at getting it down to even a simmer, let alone cooling things down.) Peacekeepers might be useful but the main problem is trade barriers between the two countries. Furthermore, Palestine is already quite impoverished. Part of the problem, I think, is that the Palestinians already tried compromise and it didn't work for the populace. Maybe Hamas scuttled it through their insurgency, but the end result was still that the populace suffered for it. If the lives of Palestinians are going to suck anyway it's probably a lot more fulfilling for them to say they at least resisted. Palestine needs to be its own independent country so that it can learn what it's like to make its own way economically without any external constraints. And it's unlikely Hamas will have much clout if citizens don't think armed resistance is necessary to prosperity. Insurgent groups aren't popular in prosperous countries.

Re: What's on your mind? the problem is that Hamas seem to be adept at ensuring the conflict stays alive, Israel won't back down because their governments since the country was founded have refused to stand down on anything, having been through what the Jewish people have been through is going to do that but they don't seem to realise the world has changed and this policy of never backing down isn't sustainable

Re: What's on your mind?

The problem is Israel. They take another peoples country because a fairy story tells them it's their homeland. Economic sanctions on Israel will never happen as they are so closely tied to the US. It's a mess and I can't ever see it being resolved until religion dissappears.
If I remember correctly they and the Palestinians have both lived there for a long time. So I don't think it's quite as simple as saying the Hebrews are entirely foreign. I think US aid is tied in large part to a misconception of Christianity. I know because I've associated with a lot of people who honestly view Israel as a state that can do no wrong whatsoever and yet are very religious Christians. The Covenant to which the Ultra-Orthodox Jews refer makes the inheritance of Israel contingent upon the Israelites obeying God's will. Multiple times, in Hebrew scripture, God will cast people out of Israel if they 'fall away'. If anyone is a Christian they need only think about ten seconds before realizing that if Jesus was the Messiah (as they would believe) then every adherent to Judaism necessarily denies his divinity. To deny Jesus as the Son of God is about as close you can get to defying his will. So for a Christian to assume that the Hebrews somehow deserve to own the country despite all of this is a ludicrous hypocrisy. If anything, their logic should lead them to believe that Christians should own Israel. In any event, people would still argue who historically lived there first and since historical records are unreliable the fight will continue anyway. Religion may form a large part of the conflict, but it certainly doesn't subsume the entire issue.

Re: What's on your mind? Satan I question whetherthis conflict would end just because religion disappears, at some point the hatred between two nations transcends religious differances these two nations have been fighting constantly since Israel became a nation and there's no evidence to suggest that simply removing religion would have an impact on the situation, Palestine wants Israel to be part of their country they feel it was wrongfully taken from them, Israel feels Palestine should be theirs

Re: What's on your mind? organised religion yes I would agree with but if someone chooses to have faith it's not like we can force them to stop believing in whatever it is they perceive to be divine. anyway before I say something extremely offensive I had better change the subject fuming about the stupid umpring decision given against me yesterday in the blind cricket game, wish Strategos would come back so I could talk cricket with him...

Re: What's on your mind? The bottom line is that both religions are Abrahamic in origin, so I don't see a reason why they can't just share it. Oh yeah, there's that pesky religious difference thing that makes them both feel that they're right and the other is wrong, and they can't find common ground while believing that they worship the same god.